• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcer: Male or Female?

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Question. Would you rather have the new announcer for Brawl be a male or a female? Or how about both? I think it would be neat to have the choice in the options menu to choose whether or not you want a male or female voice to announce... practically and virtually everything in the game.

Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing a female for a change. But another thing that would be cool, is if the characters themselves would announce their own names after selecting them. Please express your opinions/and or ideas regarding... this matter.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anyone ever seen "The Warriors?" Y'know the Radio hostess? I want her to be the announcer.

"Hello Boppers... This is stock mode... Choose your character."

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I frankly do not mind let alone care. What's more important is the game play itself not the announcer at the menu

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
We need a Pikachu announcer, that way all we ever hear is different sequences of pi, ka and chu.

edit: If Nintendo hires the Perfect Dark Zero announcer I will not buy this game. :|

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Antioch said:
characters announcing their own names = win. ^____^
Reminds me of Soulcalibur and how the characters say 'Soul Calibur II/III' too bad Nintendo characters are mute.

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
Antioch said:
characters announcing their own names = win. ^____^
Good idea, but what about kirby, and the other ones who never talk? They'd need voice actors then. Have bowser, donkey kong, and kirby even had voice actors that actually speak? what does pit sound like? etc.

I think the announcer should be the same guy as in SSBM, or someone with a very similer voice, so yeah, male.

Also, I think the announcer should announce what's going on in the fight, but only when someone probably won't make it back to the arena, when someone just barely does, and when someone dies. this would cause cheering and gasps in the crowd. Something along the lines of the announcer in "sonic riders", if anyone here has played that.

Maybe a female announcer could be an unlockable option.

Munzer

Smash Rookie
I dont care too much, i guess it would be cool to change it in the options. But yea for characters anouncing themselves there would be a problems for some, dk,zelda,bowser,g&w,link ect.

odinm4gick

Smash Apprentice
Allow it in the option screen! I'd like a female announcer but it would be even cooler to have an option instead

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Haha women and smash. ha, ha, ha.

But seriously, that's like asking if sports announcers should be female. The most annoying thing when I watch a football game is when they have the token female announcer who inevitably sucks. Cheerleaders are fine. Guys like looking at chicks, hence ZS samus. Mmmm rendered boobies. Where was I? Oh right, women and smash, hahaha.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
Am I the only one that thinks that the current announcer is absolutely perfect?

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
better yet Isaac Hayse the, singer(AKA "Chef" from South Park)

I could totally hear it now, " This games winner is....Fox. baby "

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
Oro said:
Am I the only one that thinks that the current announcer is absolutely perfect?
no, no, i agree.
pretty sure having the option of either a male/female announcer is quite... awkward.

but having characters say their name, instead of the default announcer when being chosen, would be a cool idea. :}

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
They should just copy over the dumb repetitive things Madden says in all the football games. 99% of them would fit perfectly.

FooTemps

Smash Cadet
Characters announcing their own names could work just fine, even with characters who can't really talk/ or are mute.

DK can just make his ape sounds, Kirby can just say his taunt, Bowser can roar, etc

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
That's what I was thinking, all of the characters make some kind of noise. When choosing them they can just use that if they don't speak. Or, hell, they could actually make them SPEAK. I think it would be sweet to hear Link say something, Ganondorf too.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I think a male announcer is much easier to listen to.
Widespread studies have shown that most people tune female voices out more easily than male voices. I do believe that this is true.

odinm4gick

Smash Apprentice
Azukki said:
Good idea, but what about kirby, and the other ones who never talk? They'd need voice actors then. Have bowser, donkey kong, and kirby even had voice actors that actually speak? what does pit sound like? etc.

I think the announcer should be the same guy as in SSBM, or someone with a very similer voice, so yeah, male.

Also, I think the announcer should announce what's going on in the fight, but only when someone probably won't make it back to the arena, when someone just barely does, and when someone dies. this would cause cheering and gasps in the crowd. Something along the lines of the announcer in "sonic riders", if anyone here has played that.

Maybe a female announcer could be an unlockable option.

Donkey Kong had a voice actor in a 3D animation show, Kirby already says "Hi" and bowser had a voice actor in the old cartoons as well as in the end of mario sunshine and pit's voice can be found in the old captian n cartoons... but i wouldn't want that cuz he said -imus as a suffix waaaaaaaay too much!!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
odinm4gick said:
Donkey Kong had a voice actor in a 3D animation show, Kirby already says "Hi" and bowser had a voice actor in the old cartoons as well as in the end of mario sunshine and pit's voice can be found in the old captian n cartoons... but i wouldn't want that cuz he said -imus as a suffix waaaaaaaay too much!!
Oh god no-icus.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
odinm4gick said:
Quick, edit that out of your post before Nintendo sees it and decides to use all the old Captain N voice actors in SSBB!!!!

Ky Kiske

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind hearing a female announcer. What would be even funnier is an Engrish speaking announcer. :laugh:

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
HAH HAH i think it would be refreshing to have a female announcer...like the kind who's soft yet assertive like in shooter games. But the guy announcing SSBM is perfectly fine.

characters announcing their own names...i think it'll give a less dramativ effect. im REALLY worried about what zero suit samus would sound like...she's NEVER had a voice...EVER...well exept when she flinches from pain in metroid prime...so i guess i have idea of what she'll sound like when attacked...i just hope her overhead elimination doesnt have her scream like zelda when she dies overhead(it's so agonizing, "aaAAaaAAAaaAAAaAaaaHHhhHHhhhHhhhhhh........"

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Definitely male. No matter how much energy, or grunge a female has, I wouldn't want her shouting out the names of my most bad-*** characters. But if it were an option, it would be fine. I'd just never use it.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
if it were a female announcer, i dont think she'd announce the character names like the current guy does. Not like valley girl "OH MY GAWD IT'S LIKE...FOX!!!"(witout saying the "oh my gawd it's like.." part) but more like "Yeah, Fox, you betta watch yo'self."(without the "yeah" and the "you betta watch yo'self") like the kinda voice you'd hear when your pilot control panel is telling you to press the button to activate the ejection seat, "stauts critical, status critial, eject now." or when a place is set to blow up "evacuate immeditely, T minus 5 minutes and 47 seconds." ya know? a voice liek that...but more assertive. But having an option to switch between male/female announcer would be awesome. I'd use it, granted it doesnt suck...

Pete278

Smash Lord
If the female voice turns me on, I'm all for it :p. [/joke]

I would actually like the option of two (or three, or 4, etc.,) different announcers though. Sounds good.

Pete278

Smash Lord
kmkzSP1K3R said:
more than two...? i dunno about THAT! what else could there be besides a male/female announcer...have mario announce the menus?
Just different voice actors. For example, as you said, Mario, the normal male and normal female. Thats three :p.

Liveit_

Smash Apprentice
phanna said:
Haha women and smash. ha, ha, ha.

But seriously, that's like asking if sports announcers should be female. The most annoying thing when I watch a football game is when they have the token female announcer who inevitably sucks. Cheerleaders are fine. Guys like looking at chicks, hence ZS samus. Mmmm rendered boobies. Where was I? Oh right, women and smash, hahaha.
*cough*sexist*cough

If you have ever played any of the Unreal Tournament games (spare the first one), then you'd know that no all female announcers are bad. ;)

Top Bottom