• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcer: Male or Female?

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Male announcer. I loved the female narrator for God of War, gave the game a great epic feel, but just to scream out a few phrases I think a male voice is preferable. Of course it's not high on my priorty list.

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
I think that the announcer in SSBM is perfect. If any other person should be the announcer, then Andy Rooney from 60 minutes should be the one. He is even a professional commentator.

Anther

Smash Champion
Ippius said:
I frankly do not mind let alone care. What's more important is the game play itself not the announcer at the menu
I guess that's a true statement, but most topics in this section of the board aren't about gameplay XD. If you were a game designer you'd have to worry about aesthetics of the game too. So.. even though it's pretty common knowledge that the gameplay is the most important part of the game, other things add a nice touch.

Personally I'd prefer a sensual voice announcing characters, and I like the idea of characters announcing themselves. Yall seen Mario Tennis and Parties do it to an extent. Bowser's had a voice in Mario Sunshine. Link could just yell. Zelda's made squeals in past zelda games. I just personally want to hear Pikachu announce himself XD.

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
Having characters saying there own name sound cheezy.. Especially for those you don't even talk, leave Link with grunts and scream.

I think it's possible they can have two annoucer. 1 the female calling out the name of the characters you choose like "Mario" and then mario would do his little pose something like they did on the 64(but still have the portrait size of them in melee" and they could add this part saying "Choose your Destination.." The would be really nice I think. The male annoucer would count down(if they bring it back) and he'll say "GO" and "GAME" like before and also still say the "the winner is Mario !" so he'll still have his part she'll her own.

Edit: Ok here's the thing if guys what their name still be said(with certain people) let the annoucer call their first then they should say it, that would be ok.

e.g. "Mario", It'sa me Mario!. e.g. "Ganondorf", Hahahaha...(just about the laugh as the melee one).

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
Anther said:
I guess that's a true statement, but most topics in this section of the board aren't about gameplay XD. If you were a game designer you'd have to worry about aesthetics of the game too. So.. even though it's pretty common knowledge that the gameplay is the most important part of the game, other things add a nice touch.

Personally I'd prefer a sensual voice announcing characters, and I like the idea of characters announcing themselves. Yall seen Mario Tennis and Parties do it to an extent. Bowser's had a voice in Mario Sunshine. Link could just yell. Zelda's made squeals in past zelda games. I just personally want to hear Pikachu announce himself XD.
I agree with you on this. some people don't seem care too much. But every bit matter. Can't half *** things. Look at marvel v.s Capcom 2. The game play is nice and its good but.. I hate there Character Selection theme. The music does not fit the game at all. Its also annoying. the littlest can bring out the game even more.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
JLoc said:
I agree with you on this. some people don't seem care too much. But every bit matter. Can't half *** things. Look at marvel v.s Capcom 2. The game play is nice and its good but.. I hate there Character Selection theme. The music does not fit the game at all. Its also annoying. the littlest can bring out the game even more.
*sings* "I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you for a riiiide. I'm gonna take you fo-"

Seriousely, QFT

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
DJ Professor K from Jet Set Radio

"It's the end of the first lap, and in da lead it's... Wario!"

"What's the matter Samus? Did you eat your breakfast this morning?"

"Kirby is kickin' butt and takin' names!"

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Don't really care. I'm partial to the announcer we already have, but if they want to change it or make it optional, that obviously wouldn't be a crisis. I don't mind the idea of character announcers. Really, we're talking about Smash Bros. here. It's all good.

EDIT: Also,
ßruK said:
Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male Male
N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b N00b
Seriously, I wish people would stop that. It's trollish and generally irritating to have to look at.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
I love Melee's announcer, but I completely agree with the characters introducing themselves...not saying their name mind you.

The announcer would still say the rest of the stuff, just not the character you selected.

Runt

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be cool if the characters announced their own names. But then someone who cant talk.... what would they say. Like kirby and uhhh... wait is he the only one... i dont know but maybe Mr. G&W.(not sure if he can talk, but i doubt it)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
either get chuck norris to do it,
or have the charecters' do it.

also, the japanese names...
sound...
different....

AshumsTheMoose

Smash Cadet
Maybe instead of announcing their own names, they say something intimidating! Kirby can talk, so can DK. Mr. Game & Watch could just make interesting ringing and beeping noises. X)

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Like in Mario Party:
Everyone says Let's go except for yoshi: he just says awoooooooo:o)oo or something
like that. Pikachu goes Pikapika, Kirby goes hiieee and DK can growl or something.

Link can go hyarrh or something.

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
Kereokacola said:
Question. Would you rather have the new announcer for Brawl be a male or a female? Or how about both? I think it would be neat to have the choice in the options menu to choose whether or not you want a male or female voice to announce... practically and virtually everything in the game.

Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing a female for a change. But another thing that would be cool, is if the characters themselves would announce their own names after selecting them. Please express your opinions/and or ideas regarding... this matter.
I like the idea of hearing the character speak their name when you pick them [except Link, Kirby, and a few others don't speak, and Marth & Roy speak Japanese], but the characters should say something when you choose them.

I would rather have both a male and female announcer, and somewhere in options you choose which one you want to hear.

ciRius j0Qr

Smash Journeyman
San Juan, Puerto Rico {Estudio en RUM so M mepuede
D.A. said:
I would rather have both a male and female announcer, and somewhere in options you choose which one you want to hear.

How bout female character annonced by male
and viceversa

I agree with some of on the idea of the characters announcing themselves with sayings
(like soul calibur)

I havent read th entire thread so i dont know , but have any of you thought of the introduction voice
"superrrr smaaashhhh bros. meleeeeeeeeee"

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
How about when you beat the game with a certain character, you gain the option of having their voice be the "announcer". I'd love to hear Snake's take on words like "Pikachu."

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Two words - The Nanny.

To be serious though, I think a male announcer would fit the best, as the announcer was male in the past two SSB games. A female one would be very awkward to me.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
i personally liked japan's introduction announcment best for the N64
"Nintendo all-star, Dairanto...smAAAAAASH BRRROOTHEEEEEERRRRSSSS!"

but it would be in the interest for those who want a female announcer to NOT announce the menus and such like the current guy. i wouldnt want a female announcer with anywhere NEAR as much enthusiasm as the current guy.

HAH HAH Snake announcing would be hilarious! and if he doesnt, at least we'll get to hear him taunt and during his victory poses.

different announcers is of course not necessary, but it would add flavor(and variety) to each person's game.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
kmkzSP1K3R said:
it doesnt have to change, just added bonuses! who doesnt love added(unlockable?) bonuses?
That's actually a really cool idea. Although if they make it too hard to get, who would bother...It's only the opening title screen.

Meyeselph

Smash Apprentice
I would like a female announcer, maybe a more soothing voice to help with my rage issues LOL. Anywho the idea of the characters themselves being unlockable announcers was done with the DOA series alot and it works rather well.

WR3K

Smash Ace
but then you would have to have animations of the characters in the selection area, melle just has picutes, i like the idea that they keep the peronality out of the character until the battle starts, i think the male anouncer is fine.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I think it would be great as an opion or not. Theres alot of different ways the voice could sound, like they could give you more then 2 opions on how the voice would sound.

Also, the VA for the "CODENAME: Kids next door" cartoon (were she tells you the codename for the show) would be amazing in this game!

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
The reason, I believe, why characters do not anounce their own name is because of hearing issues. Yes that's right, my little brother can't understand what Yoshi is saying. And if it weren't for the announcer who has a clear voice my brother wouldn't even know his name because he cannot read (lol he probably shouldn't be playing games).

The current voice is fine and I don't want to hear Pikachu talking... I only want to hear him scream. :)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
General Greevious.

"Choose your *cough* charac*cough*-you get the idea."

"Give me that beam sword!"

"Yes, I too have been practicing in your art of Smash, General Kanobi!"

"Pichu's screams of terror are like music to my audio recepters!"

"I could beat this guy with two-no, three arms tied behind my back!"

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
ciRius j0Qr said:
Any body that has payed sonic adveenture 2 battle knoes about announcing voice options
You will also rmember the options for voice selacting
something like that would be the voice option selecting method
I've never played "sonic adveenture 2 battle" before. Does it star Egor or something...?

But, In Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle), yes, you could customise the voice options with all of the characters. That may happen in Brawl, although it seems unlikely that Pichu or Yoshi will become the announcer any time soon.

magar

Banned via Administration
Zook said:
I've never played "sonic adveenture 2 battle" before. Does it star Egor or something...?

But, In Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle), yes, you could customise the voice options with all of the characters. That may happen in Brawl, although it seems unlikely that Pichu or Yoshi will become the announcer any time soon.

You never played sonic adveenture 2 battle (about to faint)
I feel so sorry for you.
that was one of the best sonic games ever
as a matter a fact, If sonic makes it to Brawl, I bet his move sets come from that game!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
magar said:
You never played sonic adveenture 2 battle (about to faint)
I feel so sorry for you.
that was one of the best sonic games ever
as a matter a fact, If sonic makes it to Braw, I bet his move sets come from that game!
Yeah. I know. I'm so depressed, I almost feel like going foxpower+...

Although I do have Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, which I hear is almost as good, only with less Egor.

Wait... That last sentence... Are they making Super Smash Bros. Bra?!?! Well, that'll definetly own Brawl.

magar

Banned via Administration
Zook said:
Yeah. I know. I'm so depressed, I almost feel like going foxpower+...

Although I do have Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, which I hear is almost as good, only with less Egor.

Wait... That last sentence... Are they making Super Smash Bros. Bra?!?! Well, that'll definetly own Brawl.
Lol, I guess I Just Got OWNED.
I'm Not the best speller, no wonder I made C's&D's In Launguage Arts ;)

Top Bottom