• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An index of "leaks" and status: forbrawlbattle's "second post" and Brawl360 removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPX2

Smash Ace
GameSpot accounts can be used at GameFAQs (and all other CNet sites) ever since CNet bought GameFAQs. Vice-versa, too.

domriver

Smash Lord
All these 35 rosters are driving me crazy. Ill be disappointed if Brawl only has 35 JUST 10 MORE?? Comon! as much time they spent on this game. Besides didn't Sakurai and Nintendo release a statement saying that "there would be more characters than you can ever imagine?" Ill just wait for next week to see how much there really is. I personally believe it will be around the 40's.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well it's really not only a plus 10, though that's what it is total...Pending that Ness is different enough to make Lucas his own character, and that Falco, Wolf, and Ganondorf are not clones, we really have 17 new characters, with 20 new movesets. =/

Darkraid

Smash Champion
More characters than u can imagine my foot.

I really can't imagine a roster that has less than 40 in it.

So am I right in saying that this is the remaining list of characters?

Falco
Wolf
WW Link
Ness
Mr.Game & Watch
Luigi
Ganondorf
Capt. Falcon
Jigglypuff
Lucario
???
???

And am I correct in saying that the general consensus about who is in the last two spots is in this list?

Geno
Ridley (Why is nobody considering him?)
Marth
AC Rep
R.O.B

D

Deleted member

Honestly now I'm seeing multiple reliable people in disagreement with each other, so I'm pretty confused. I'm happy with the roster (unlike most people) but there are only two things I want to know.

1. How many characters are there total?

2. Are there clones, and if so, how many?

And yes, I did leak some info, but I only knew of four characters, I have no idea how big the final roster is and I really want to know!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, I don't care for movesets, but for characters. Brawl is Melee +10 more characters and minus Mewtwo (the most awesome character in Melee).

Arteen

Smash Lord
That one roter everyone's talking about? It's awful. Seriously, Fox, Falco, and Wolf? No way. R.O.B.? No way. He's a generic enemy now, not a playable character.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Heres tree of his Gfaqs posts.

ChaosZero
Posted 1/21/2008 12:51:25 AM
message detail

Here's some hope:

35 characters is bull, in my opinion.
---
From: ChaosZero | Posted: 1/21/2008 12:00:07 AM | Message Detail

By the way....

This isn't a direct statement from my source, simply my own opinion based on logic and common sense:

35 characters? BULL.

There's more. This is a true "prediction" from me. Based on logic. "Well it wasn't that hard of a guess" they'll say. And they're right. 35 characters is

PREPOSTEROUS.

How many secret characters did melee have? Do you think they'd have 1/4 or 1/2 of those? Four or five unlockables, while two of those are in commercials? (sonic and snake)

Right. Actually, it's good for you to not hype it up so much for yourself, so it can blow your socks off later.
ChaosZero
Posted 1/20/2008 11:49:50 PM
message detail

Well, I gotta double check with my chat log for this detail... but I just remembered my source telling me something like:

"Every series has around 3 reps" I'll double check once I fix my computer for you guys.

I think the interesting thing about that, mostly, would be Metroid. I obviously doubt stuff like Ice Climbers would get more than one...(well...I guess they are two reps actually..ha) So....yeah like I said, not concrete info, sorry.

And for some reason it seems that people think I said Mewtwo was going to be in SSE. I don't know anything about SSE, I don't want credit where it isn't due....even though if he is indeed removed I would like to see him somewhere at least.

As for Mewtwo, I was told he was being replaced by Lucario. That terminology isn't very malleable, but hey...maybe the current build he had access to didn't have Mewtwo and it does now?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, I don't care for movesets, but for characters. Brawl is Melee +10 more characters and minus Mewtwo (the most awesome character in Melee).

Zevox

Smash Lord
Well it's really not only a plus 10, though that's what it is total...Pending that Ness is different enough to make Lucas his own character, and that Falco, Wolf, and Ganondorf are not clones, we really have 17 new characters, with 20 new movesets. =/
Not to mention Luigi, and changes to other veterans like Mario. So a quick list:

14 completely new characters: Pit, Wario, Ike, Pokèmon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Snake, Meta Knight, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Wolf, Lucario, R.O.B.
3 new transformation characters: Zero Suit Samus, 2 other PT critters.
1 Semi-new/completely redone character: Toon Link.
3-4 de-cloned characters with new movesets: Ganondorf, Falco, Ness, Luigi(?).
Uknown number of changes to other veterans' movesets (example: Mario & FLUDD).

For a total of 20-21+ effective new characters in terms of moves and abilities. Not bad at all if you ask me.

Zevox

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm speaking for myself here. It's unbalanced, for one. And by unbalanced I mean with series representation. Pokemon gets Lucario, PT who is a three in one package, Jigglypuff and Pikachu.

That takes up four characters on the roster, but technically speaking it's more like six. Mario, on the other hand gets four. No two in ones, three in ones, just four. Mario is more popular than Pokemon is. It just seems unbalanced.

Metroid is another example. One character. Okay, Ridley seemed like a good choice, no, I didn't support him, but I wasn't against him. He could go either way as a playable character or a boss, but Metroid is deserving of a second rep, and please don't say Zamus is that second rep, she's not.

Starfox? Okay, let's keep the first two male veterans, and add another male veteran and ignore the more wanted character, that being Krystal. I don't care for Krystal, but I'd rather have had her than Wolf. Sorry Wolf fans.

Sorry WW Link fans, but one Link in my opinion is good enough. Again, looking at that poll, WW Link was hardly deserving of a spot over Ridley or Geno. For a while it did look like Sakurai was taking things off that poll, but now it just looks like he completely ignored it in the end, and put the smack down on some wanted characters, like Geno, Krystal and Ridley.

I'm sorry, it's just what I think. I'd prefer to have a 40 character roster, but 35 seems small and petty. 35 would have been much better if we had had more fan requested characters. And don't tell me we have plenty, I know we do. But ignoring some of the higher scoring characters just doesn't feel right, and as someone on another board said, it's like "being slapped in the face by Master Hand himself."

That's just how I feel. I feel the roster could have been chosen better, and we could have had a better selection. I deeply apologize if my post offends anyone.
Your complaints all make a lot of sense. It's a matter of choosing better characters, frankly.

Why feel bad for him? We're happy that he leaked the roster. We're just mad at the team for making stupid decisions.
Quoted for truth.

Exactly. I am glad MarkMan and Remo came foweard and confirmed our fears. Now I am very interested in the Post-Mortem that Sakurai will be giving at the GDC. I honestly feel our roster is the result of the SSE, and I think an expansive Adventure Mode will be the "Clones" of this game, in the sense they are both things that people feel detracted from the game.
I was thinking the same thing before I went to bed. I'd like to have a few choice words with Sakurai if this thing holds true...

I think Sakurai should not have shown as many newcomers as he did, and should have instead made characters such Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Dedede hidden. Really, the hidden character list is like waking up Christmas morning only to discover you received the same gifts you received last year.
You know, that's a great analogy. It was a REALLY foolish choice to wait to reveal these hidden characters. What a disappointment...

A reason why the Roster is probably fake

The User of the Katrina Sticker likely being an Animal Crossing characters (also goes with the icon for AC)

I'm sure theres many more reasons

Experience tells us to be weary of leaks such as this, but you guys are jumping on it as if its truth. It may well be truth yes, but be weary...
I'd really like to believe it.... Here's to hoping that you scrounge up something from your source that disconfirms this demon roster. :ohwell:

Exactly my point

What makes these people so worthy...what makes them different people as well

You're taking randomers at face value. Yes they may be right...but they have the same chance, if not higher, of being wrong
It seems as though they have quite the reputation over at NeoGAF, though. I wish it weren't so, frankly.

what happened to "more characters than you can imagine"? I guess it was never mentioned that a large amount of those characters would be ATs, bosses, SSE cameos, trophies, stickers...and then a few of them would be PCs.

If this roster is for reals, I'd rather have the game delayed for another year if it meant more PCs.
But, 35 is SO HUGE! I know, I know, kind of a silly complaint, because it's the quality with which I really have an issue, but still. I really think they made some poor choices this time around.

R.O.B. fits the bill as a WTF character. Definitely.

But yeah, my hype has dropped to ZERO with this roster. Not exciting in the least. They basically blew their wad early with characters like Pit, Wario, Dedede, etc. Should've made them secret so we at least would have stuff to look forward to. I have NOTHING to look forward to being revealed now. I just want the game so I can play it mindlessly like I did Melee, which also very much insulted my Nintendo loyalty. I'm not even looking forward to new "leaks" or updates anymore--this is such a depressing letdown.

....At least they didn't forget Kid Icarus this time around :/
My thoughts exactly! I just don't care about the game at this point. THIS is what we've been waiting for? Rehashed characters and poorly chosen newcomers? It's just not right. Pit's nice and all, but he doesn't make up for the grievous errors that belie this roster.

I just can't believe this--I'm sorry. We had been calling our worse fears for a while, saying that if we "added the remaining likely veterans we'd get dangerously close to 35," but this is ridiculous. Only four more newcomers? Judging by Melee standards, this makes sense. But this isn't Melee. This is a different game.

Out of the starting roster we got a lot of characters that we wanted. Pit, Trainer, Meta Knight, Dedede, Diddy. I'm not gonna lie--it's fantastic. But leaving out some other obvious choices, and fan-driven characters to boot, makes the roster a little shaky. Call me naive or ignorant all you want, but I'm not buying THIS roster until we get actual information from Nintendo.

Lucario, Ness, and Puffster put the nail in the coffin for a LOT of things. But they DID NOT confirm Wolf, ROB, WW Link, or any of that crap. Yes, it coincides wonderfully with a lot of leakers. But do they themselves, by being in the game if they are, confirm the roster stops at 35 characters? SSE may feel like it's robbing the game of value, but it can't rob it of a beefy roster. I'm sorry, but the amount of crap that is in this game should have no effect on the amount of playable characters in the least. That's just not a valid reason.

What happened to the Krystal VA leak? The supposed confirmation of Square-Enix involvement? The other "confirmed until deconfirmed" leakers who said there was still just a little bit more? The millions upon millions of Geno, Krystal, Ridley, and K. Rool threads on English and Japanese forums alike?

If Sakurai were truly listening to the fans, and I'm positive he is, he would know better than to seclude even one of those characters. Wolf had nowhere near the fan support Krystal had. Or Ridley. And why is Mario LOSING representation? How did Star Fox become so freakishly popular? It just seems far too backwards.

I know Melee's roster was the same way. "Who the hell is Roy?" "DOCTOR MARIO? WTF!" "Pichu is NOT likely with Pikachu in tow..." "Um... hello Wario? Where are you?" I remember it very, very well. But again: this is NOT Melee. This is BRAWL, and it is the LAST Smash game as far as Sakurai is concerned. It better be a ****ing blowout.

A god**** blowout.
A very good point: it's NOT Melee. As good as the good characters are, you can't just say "some good, some bad, it all works out." WHY would you throw in bad characters intentionally? Frankly, people don't play the Smash games for a "deep, involving single-player experience"--they play it for the multiplayer, and with such a shallow pool, there's no room to go swimming, so to speak.

I dunno about the Square-Enix thing, but the Krystal VA leak was legit, and I wonder what the hell happened. And ditto all that support for Krystal, Ridley, and Geno--among others. We didn't have the Ridley wars for nothing. ;)

It should be a blowout; it just doesn't seem like it will be anymore...

Yeah you're happy cuz you got what you wanted. Enjoy playing Super Star Fox Brothers
Yeah, no kidding. I think the only people that will enjoy this roster are StarFox fans--and even then, some will be disappointed because their favorite SF character (Krystal) got axed.

radiansansred

Smash Rookie
Honestly now I'm seeing multiple reliable people in disagreement with each other, so I'm pretty confused. I'm happy with the roster (unlike most people) but there are only two things I want to know.

1. How many characters are there total?

2. Are there clones, and if so, how many?

And yes, I did leak some info, but I only knew of four characters, I have no idea how big the final roster is and I really want to know!
Accordingly, there's 35 characters, and possibly Falco/Wolf as a clone of Fox and Wind Waker Link as a somewhat Luigi-like clone of Link.

Also, with 35 characters, it doesn't matter WHO'S in the game, because obviously you can't fit everyone in the game. Say we DID get Geno. That would eliminate another newcomer, and we can say Olimar. Then, Ridley was revealed. Who would you have to take out then? They take Dedede out, then everyone complains about him not being in the game. Also, that would mean that the Metroid boss would HAVE to be Kraid, and who's more exciting to fight? A flying space dragon, or a... whatever Kraid is supposed to be.

On that note, I fail to see how Subspace Emissary kills Multiplayer, considering SSE IS Multiplayer. EVERYTHING is Multiplayer in this game. It just means that this game is just more than a Versus mode.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
For one time, i'm with serebii: AC has to have a rep, because of Katrina.

That roster is... too secure in my opinion.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you, but a 35-character roster can work, now that I think about it.

1.Mario
2.Link
3.Kirby
4.Pikachu
5.Fox
6.Samus
7.Zelda/Shiek
8.Bowser
9.Donkey Kong
10.Yoshi
11.Peach
12.Ice Climbers
13.Pit
14.Wario
15.Ike
16.Pokemon Trainer
17.Diddy Kong
18.Meta Knight
19.Snake
20.Lucas
21.Sonic
22.King DeDeDe
23.Pikmin & Olimar
24.Ness
25.Lucario
26.Jigglypuff

27.Bowser Jr. *or* Geno
28.Toon Link
29.Captain Falcon
30.Marth
31.Falco
32.Wolf
33.Mii (DS Icon) *or* Animal Crosser (Animal Crossing Icon)
34.Mr. Game and Watch
35.R.O.B (WTF; Icon 19)

Green is confirmed, Red is not. I'd be exceptionally pleased with this roster, actually. I wish there was space for Sukapon or Takamaru...or even another third party, but I think this is good.

Now I know you'll be saying "You can take out 'Bowser Jr. *or* Geno' and put in another third party," but I have a theory...

This image shows four pokemon, but there is space for five. Now why would Nintendo make five spots if not a single franchise had five characters? They wouldn't. So I think at least one franchise has five representatives. The only franchise I can think of that could have five is the Mario series, because it had five in Melee.

My two cents.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Again, ChaosZeros Gfaq posts

ChaosZero
Posted 1/21/2008 12:51:25 AM
message detail

Here's some hope:

35 characters is bull, in my opinion.
---
Quote:
From: ChaosZero | Posted: 1/21/2008 12:00:07 AM | Message Detail

By the way....

This isn't a direct statement from my source, simply my own opinion based on logic and common sense:

35 characters? BULL.

There's more. This is a true "prediction" from me. Based on logic. "Well it wasn't that hard of a guess" they'll say. And they're right. 35 characters is

PREPOSTEROUS.

How many secret characters did melee have? Do you think they'd have 1/4 or 1/2 of those? Four or five unlockables, while two of those are in commercials? (sonic and snake)

Right. Actually, it's good for you to not hype it up so much for yourself, so it can blow your socks off later.
ChaosZero
Posted 1/20/2008 11:49:50 PM
message detail

Well, I gotta double check with my chat log for this detail... but I just remembered my source telling me something like:

"Every series has around 3 reps" I'll double check once I fix my computer for you guys.

I think the interesting thing about that, mostly, would be Metroid. I obviously doubt stuff like Ice Climbers would get more than one...(well...I guess they are two reps actually..ha) So....yeah like I said, not concrete info, sorry.

And for some reason it seems that people think I said Mewtwo was going to be in SSE. I don't know anything about SSE, I don't want credit where it isn't due....even though if he is indeed removed I would like to see him somewhere at least.
As for Mewtwo, I was told he was being replaced by Lucario. That terminology isn't very malleable, but hey...maybe the current build he had access to didn't have Mewtwo and it does now?

GinRei

Smash Apprentice
ChaosZero isn't flat out stating 35 is fake, he's stating his opinion. He even says it's not from his source, but he does give logic behind his thoughts. I personally want to believe there will be 42 characters, because 42 is the answer to all.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
ROB isn't playable for the last time. Whoever made that "leak" didn't do their research and tried covering up their tracks

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I am not happy. And I think people should stop telling each others they are wrong about their feelings for the roster - there is no "spoiled" or "silly" or "too hopeful" here - either you are satisfied or you are not.

I guess R.O.B. is supposed to take G & W's spot as the underappreciated part of Nintendo's history.

yeah, that 's cute and all. But Ridey and Krystal would have fit as well, **** it. I really hope this latest rumor just happens to be constructed to tie in with the video reveal and the rumors of others. Then again, MarkMan is supposed to have a good history...

****!!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well if it makes any of you feel better, both MarkMan and Remo will both be peramantently banned fro NeoGAF if it is found that they were lying ad playing us for fools. They will also pretty much lose every ounce of creditability they ever had and be blacklisted by every game forum. So they have a lot to lose if they are liars.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
ROB isn't playable for the last time. Whoever made that "leak" didn't do their research and tried covering up their tracks
Hey, maybe after you save him from the Minister's corruption he joins the roster.

Then again, I really can't see him being a good fighter.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
I'll agree with a lot of the above posts, as realistic as the 35 man roster seems... Its just a little too secure.
Meh. Maybe thats just my fanboyism speaking.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
this could easily play out just like the Melee roster. everybody's extremely disappointed and it turns out the most credible and least liked roster is true.

rusashi

Smash Apprentice
I think you should change the whole semi-confirmed to confirmed. Serebii confirmed it on his website.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Well if it makes any of you feel better, both MarkMan and Remo will both be peramantently banned fro NeoGAF if it is found that they were lying ad playing us for fools. They will also pretty much lose every ounce of creditability they ever had and be blacklisted by every game forum. So they have a lot to lose if they are liars.
That just increases the chances that they are legit :(

But, how many "Brawl prophets" have been slammed, permabanned and had their credibilities tarred and feathered before? I mean, if lots of people have been so dumb as to fake around over Brawl before then the chance that Mark and Reno are one of them increases...

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
I don't know about you, but a 35-character roster can work, now that I think about it.

1.Mario
2.Link
3.Kirby
4.Pikachu
5.Fox
6.Samus
7.Zelda/Shiek
8.Bowser
9.Donkey Kong
10.Yoshi
11.Peach
12.Ice Climbers
13.Pit
14.Wario
15.Ike
16.Pokemon Trainer
17.Diddy Kong
18.Meta Knight
19.Snake
20.Lucas
21.Sonic
22.King DeDeDe
23.Pikmin & Olimar
24.Ness
25.Lucario
26.Jigglypuff

27.Bowser Jr. *or* Geno
28.Toon Link
29.Captain Falcon
30.Marth
31.Falco
32.Wolf
33.Mii (DS Icon) *or* Animal Crosser (Animal Crossing Icon)
34.Mr. Game and Watch
35.R.O.B (WTF; Icon 19)

Green is confirmed, Red is not.
Looking at it that way, it's not that terrible...

.......:urg:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Heres tree of his Gfaqs posts.
I guess all we can do is hope that ChaosZero and/or Serebii get some confirmation from their sources that this isn't the real roster. :ohwell:

I am not happy. And I think people should stop telling each others they are wrong about their feelings for the roster - there is no "spoiled" or "silly" or "too hopeful" here - either you are satisfied or you are not.

I guess R.O.B. is supposed to take G & W's spot as the underappreciated part of Nintendo's history.

yeah, that 's cute and all. But Ridey and Krystal would have fit as well, **** it. I really hope this latest rumor just happens to be constructed to tie in with the video reveal and the rumors of others. Then again, MarkMan is supposed to have a good history...

****!!!
I agree with you. People complain about other people's complaining, and it's kind of silly. I think that people have every right to be upset with this roster--it's entirely underwhelming.

Seems like we're screwed, though.

The problem is just that: they're reputable posters, and they stand to lose a LOT if they are lying. Seems like they wouldn't have any good reason to do so, then... :(

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Wrong, they are using their reputable status to cause chaos and confusion on a global scale. If it is false, they should a more severe punishment than a F****** ban, they should be sued or something.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you're happy cuz you got what you wanted. Enjoy playing Super Star Fox Brothers
By that logic he'd also be playing Super Pokemon Brothers, Super Kirby Brothers, Super Zelda Brothers, and Super Mario Brothers. How does two more Star Fox characters suddenly throw the games character balance out of whack?

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Ugh. No Midna, Mona, Krystal, Ridley, or Mewtwo...no Geno, no Megaman, no anyone really.

It would make me sick to my stomach to have this ireffutably confirmed. To reveal so much before the game is out (granted, three charactes just slipped) and surprise so little with unlockable characters.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ugh. No Midna, Mona, Krystal, Ridley, or Mewtwo...no Geno, no Megaman, no anyone really.

It would make me sick to my stomach to have this ireffutably confirmed. To reveal so much before the game is out (granted, three charactes just slipped) and surprise so little with unlockable characters.
No anyone is right. It's so bland, so underwhelming, so...awful. I'm right there with you--I would hate for this to be the true roster.

This is our first big leak.

But I am dissapointed that almost all the characters are starting characters...

...and no Isaac or Ray...
And no Claus. No Sukapon, Takamaru, Midna, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom