• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An index of "leaks" and status: forbrawlbattle's "second post" and Brawl360 removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
As if this weren't obvious, the mass upset is because the unrevealed characters are SOOOO underwhelming. At least in Melee we only had two veterans reappearing as unlockables. This time, there are only 3 new fighters. What a slap in the face.

None of this, might I add, accounts for the Animal Crossing icon, DS icon, or mysterious Icon #19. Yes, we can argue that AC and DS get stage icons but no characters. We can even argue that ROB gets #19 as like... a D-Pad or something. But does that actually make sense to people? Deep down, do you buy that? I for one cannot. It's just too safe and secure and it doesn't answer all our questions.

What is icon 19?

What happened to all that hubbub about an AC rep?

Are we to consider the Brawl polls and general fervor for Ridley, Krystal, Takamaru, Geno, etc. wasted? Are they just Assists?

Our two more reliable leakers who have not ONCE steered us in the wrong direction (nor had lucky guesses) don't even support the roster themselves (Serebii, ChaosZero).

And fine. We have Portrait, Markman, and Reno. But what about rapscouter? He also "predicted" information for games in the past and was proven legitimate. He lends no support to the roster.

This is NOT the confirmed roster. It is a PROPOSED roster by Chronobound that is only being supported by two knuckleheads from NeoGaf. They have added NOTHING novel or UNIQUE to the roster and only their "thumbs up," so to speak.

Big frigging whoop it's supported by them and other leakers. Almightygoat and FForceSultan supported the known information for a while too. This is a matter of convenience for these two because they were HANDED the roster and asked to confirm it. They weren't spouting it off themselves.

I'm not saying that I 100% deny it because deep-down I've regretfully known something like this would happen, BUT we can't be sold on it yet. I'm sorry. That's just making too far of a leap and you all should know better. This is NOT the complete roster. We do not know it. Nobody has honestly said they do.

We've been waiting far too long.

rusashi

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you guys. 35 is a FINE number. I guarentee if we had 48 we'd have clones. And you guys would complain about clones.

With 35, the roster is bound to be very balanced, and online probably won't suck as much.

Just because GENO AND RIDLEY didn't get in doesn't stop the game from being awesome. Famitsu gave it a 40/40 for a reason.

Broly

Smash Lord
idk wuts w/ you all. if ur so dissappointed cuz u kno the characters, then stop looking for them. ur the ones wanting to be spoiled, so dont complaint if the sense of surprise is not there. i cant wait for brawl to come out. i dont care if theres 35 or more, in the end ur gonna main someone. so, hate to hear ppl complain about how the roster is stupid, if u wanna be suprised then stop surfing the web for it n wait til march 9th or jan 31 if ur in japan

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
As if this weren't obvious, the mass upset is because the unrevealed characters are SOOOO underwhelming. At least in Melee we only had two veterans reappearing as unlockables. This time, there are only 3 new fighters. What a slap in the face.

None of this, might I add, accounts for the Animal Crossing icon, DS icon, or mysterious Icon #19. Yes, we can argue that AC and DS get stage icons but no characters. We can even argue that ROB gets #19 as like... a D-Pad or something. But does that actually make sense to people? Deep down, do you buy that? I for one cannot. It's just too safe and secure and it doesn't answer all our questions.

What is icon 19?

What happened to all that hubbub about an AC rep?

Are we to consider the Brawl polls and general fervor for Ridley, Krystal, Takamaru, Geno, etc. wasted? Are they just Assists?

Our two more reliable leakers who have not ONCE steered us in the wrong direction (nor had lucky guesses) don't even support the roster themselves (Serebii, ChaosZero).

And fine. We have Portrait, Markman, and Reno. But what about rapscouter? He also "predicted" information for games in the past and was proven legitimate. He lends no support to the roster.

This is NOT the confirmed roster. It is a PROPOSED roster by Chronobound that is only being supported by two knuckleheads from NeoGaf. They have added NOTHING novel or UNIQUE to the roster and only their "thumbs up," so to speak.

Big frigging whoop it's supported by them and other leakers. Almightygoat and FForceSultan supported the known information for a while too. This is a matter of convenience for these two because they were HANDED the roster and asked to confirm it. They weren't spouting it off themselves.

I'm not saying that I 100% deny it because deep-down I've regretfully known something like this would happen, BUT we can't be sold on it yet. I'm sorry. That's just making too far of a leap and you all should know better. This is NOT the complete roster. We do not know it. Nobody has honestly said they do.

We've been waiting far too long.
Quoth Nintendo's own info page about SSBB:
Nintendo said:
This action-packed fighting game features a ridiculous number of characters that have appeared on Nintendo platforms[...]
Did they mean "ridiculously small?" :ohwell: That's beside the point, though.

The unlockables are ENTIRELY underwhelming. All we get is 3.5 unrevealed newcomers (Toon Link only counts as half because he was Young Link before)? A paltry sum if I've ever heard one. And two of them aren't even worthwhile newcomers! (I'm looking at you, Wolf and R.O.B.) I don't understand where all that wasted energy went for Ridley, Krystal, Claus, Takamaru, Tom Nook, Geno, etc. So many other characters were FAR more requested than these stragglers, and it makes little sense. I was a strong proponent of the "AC Rep" theory, and I still hope it can hold true.

The interesting thing is that the roster was only confirmed after ChronoBound posted it. Not only that, but the leaker(s) originally said that he / they would not be giving out information, but...well, look what happened.

Am I surprised by this? No. It's very plausible in the sense that Nintendo appeases some, but ultimately disappoints in one way or another. Yes, there's online, but it's far more limited than what most people would like (I'm okay with it, though). Sure, there are some great new characters, but some of the ones that were requested the most (Geno, Ridley, Krystal, etc.) were cast aside in favor of highly questionable choices (Wolf, R.O.B., etc.).

I don't expect much at this point, but I truly hope that Serebii and/or ChaosZero can come through with something that disproves this abomination of a roster.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand why people discounted this guy so quickly, while they eat up what the other leakers (something is icky about that word) spout off. I'm not saying I believe either group, but the fact that rapscouter has previously leaked NINTENDO based info would lead me to pick his word over theirs. And in all honesty, I would love the 35-man roster, I just don't think it's as set in stone as people think. I think Fliptroopa touched on some great points that need to be talked about more instead of needless posts about how much you hate/love the supposed "Super StarFox Bros: Brawl-Now with reduced Ridely!" version

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
I still don't get why everyone thinks the deal with R.O.B. was at all a substantiated claim. Did I miss something in the past few hours?

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
35 is just a tad to small.

Especially without far more deserving chars like Ridley and Krystal. I don't think Sakurai has to bend over for that previous poll but if he is going to offer something besides Krystal and Ridley then he shouldn't put R.O.B. in there. People don't feel much for the thing - have we forgotten how unexcited people were over G&W in the end, even though he was cool and retro in a way?

R.O.B. is just a repeated attempt to get a retro underdog some attention, if this abomination of a roster is true. It too will probably fail.

I truly hope Nintendo wakes up and announces DC for Brawl, even if this roster is fake.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
35 is just a tad too small.

Especially without far more deserving chars like Ridley and Krystal. I don't think Sakurai has to bend over for that previous poll but if he is going to offer something besides Krystal and Ridley then he shouldn't put R.O.B. in there. People don't feel much for the thing - have we forgotten how unexcited people were over G&W in the end, even though he was cool and retro in a way?

R.O.B. is just a repeated attempt to get a retro underdog some attention, if this abomination of a roster is true. It too will probably fail.

I truly hope Nintendo wakes up and announces DC for Brawl, even if this roster is fake.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
35 is just a tad too small.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Oh god, what are you guys arguing about? I thought we had our confirmed roster already.

There are 9 spots left on the roster:
1. Luigi
2. Ganondorf
3. Capt. Falcon
4. ROB
5. Wolf
6. Falco
7. Marth
8. WW Link
9. Game and Watch

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
dude, dont say mewtwo is deconfirmed <_> it's just a stupid assumption. the person just might not have unlocked him when the shot was taken. or Mewtwo isn't playable...IN SSE maybe he's a boss that turns unlockable or s/t. either way he's CERTAINLY not deconfirmed

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
The roster is too safe.And we are talking about Sakurai!Hes a crazy SOB.This cant be the final roster!
Its too safe.Lets hope that this is BS.I want Ridley at least!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The game is being made by Nintendo, "The Studio", Sora, HAL, APE, SHIGETO ITAO (I probably spelled the name wrong! :grin:), Monster, Game Freak, the Pokémon Company, Konami, Kojima Production Studios, SEGA, the Sonic Team, and CERO. Taht's 14 f***ing companies. If a LARGE number of the characters are hidden and we have 23 starters, the tell me how you came up with 35=??? That is a waste of the game. If that is the case-then Sakurai was too busy on extra features, and failed at making a game, and DOES NOT DESERVE THE 40/40 Famitsu gave his game. They were "impressed" by the roster size.

If there are less then 40, I'm returning my game. That is a waste of a game for God's sake. When the PRESIDENT OF NINTENDO SAYS WE'RE GETTING TONS OF CHARACTERS, I BELIEVE IT! He's building the hype for a game that will deliver-because if he disappoints fans, they'll just sell it back! XD Sakurai said we'd have "more characters then we can imagine." The President of Nintendo says the main focus is characters, then balance. If that isn't poining at 40 characters on up, I don't know what is. Not having 40 characters is a waste of my time, a game, and of your life. If Sakurai is making his "dream game", then he should have made the most important thing: "His dream roster". ;)

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
You know what. There's not point reasoning with some people at this point.

Disappointed about a roster is one thing, but I'm sorry, throwing things out like "Abomination" and "Horrendous" is ********.

But none the less, people are going to do it. I'd tell you to cry more, but I'm aggravated coming back to the thread watching the progress people helped make to a suitable discussion just thrown aside so people can cry and moan over all of it.

You're turning this board in to GameFAQS. Don't like what I'm saying? Stop overreacting. You are. Every person who argued about this roster not being up to Par didn't throw out things like "THIS IS TERRIBLE! IT'S LIKE THEY CRUCIFIED THE GAME!" because that's just ********.

I've said it three times, and I'll say it again... even with the 25 characters you had earliar, people assumed this to be an excellent roster. Now they've added 10, that may not have been your suggestions but were still valid, and you're still crying.

And once again, every time you say 35 is too small, I want to punch you. Did you miss the point in which the average character roster for a fighting game was? LET ME REFRESH YOUR FRIGGEN MEMORY:

32-- TEKKEN
23-- SF3:3RD STRIKE
20-- SF2TURBO
22-- DOA4
18-- VF5
37-- SFA3

The ONLY one that tops Smash's roster is SFA3, and we're forgetting they pretty much just threw in RE USED sprites(without updated movesets or tweaks which Sakurai has promised us). And besides the VS games which much of the time use simplified move sets(excluding CvS2. I'll give you that, but that's hardly enough to justify how bad some of these people are *****ing), You've gotten a roster in the HIGH NUMBERS.

THIS GAME IS A FIGHTING GAME. QUIT CRYING. It just amazes me how some people with High posts(I'll give you a hint, they're named after a final fantasy character!) go so overboard with the roster. If you were HONESTLY getting into this game SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE(That means, "JUST BECAUSE") of expecting a character who at the get go wasn't even announced to be in it in the first placed, NOR had a confirmed spot... that's just ********.

I don't go and play STREET FIGHTER, talk about how great the game is, and then when I find out Guile isn't unlockable, chuck my controller at the scream and go out to stab people. Why? Because that would be immature, and stabbing people is difficult, because they're are cops everywhere, and Link has been stabbed like 83 times already due to how many STUPID rosters have been leaked it's unbelievable.

If you're over the age of fifteen, show some **** maturity and please don't overreact like 95 percent of this thread has been doing for the past 10 hours. It's just ludicrously stupid. You guys are better than that.

If I have to post this again, I'm going to do it in large caps letters, because you people dont' seem to be getting the point.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Let me say one thing, I am NOT upset with the number. Thats the last thing I am upset about. . . I always thought that there would be about 38 characters in my heart. Its the CHARACTER CHOICES that are dissappointing along with the fact that WE KNOW MOSTLY ALL THE NEW CHARACTERS!:mad:

Dam*. . .I really thought they might put in 40 characters if they had enuff time to make 3 completely unique pokemon for PT. . .

And this ***ing web-site is crapped up. Im too afraid to amke a big post cause I have no idea if it will pass. . .

Ytoabn08

Smash Cadet
Let me say one thing, I am NOT upset with the number. Thats the last thing I am upset about. . . I always thought that there would be about 38 characters in my heart. Its the CHARACTER CHOICES that are dissappointing along with the fact that WE KNOW MOSTLY ALL THE NEW CHARACTERS!:mad:

This is the complain that gets me the most pissed. It's the same thing Samurai Panda complains about updates.
What do you expect? You've been anticipating the game for over a year, you have broken down the probabilities of every character you could possibly think of to be in the game. There are no surprises? No wonder, this entire board did it's ****edest to take out any surprise.
Geno should be a surprise, but if he's in, it won't be.
R.O.B. Should be a surprise, but if he's in, it won't be.
On and on, you guys act like getting a dang, "surprise" is the whole point of this. It's a video game, the best part, the biggest surprises come when you PLAY it. All this energy towards trying to predict what will happen just ruins it.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Well, if it has to be a 35 roster, it has lame choices in the hidden newcomers... Lucario, Toon Link, Wolf, and ROB. ROB and Toon Link are ok, but Lucario and Wolf are not... on the recent poll they didn't even place. Mewtwo's return and Krystal instead of Wolf would've made the roster decent. I think if Krystal was in it instead of Wolf, it would've been a decent roster... I mean if this really is the roster for Brawl, I can just predict the poll for Smash 4!

1st: Mewtwo
2nd: Ridley
3rd: Geno
4th: Krystal

And if it is Sakurai's last Smash game, then so be it. I've always thought Nintendo & HAL had the right idea of making it like Melee but with online and more characters. While Melee may've been incomplete, Brawl completes it. I can't think of anything more to ADD to Brawl EXCEPT more characters and stages.

Revven

FrankerZ

Disappointed about a roster is one thing, but I'm sorry, throwing things out like "Abomination" and "Horrendous" is ********.

But none the less, people are going to do it. I'd tell you to cry more, but I'm aggravated coming back to the thread watching the progress people helped make to a suitable discussion just thrown aside so people can cry and moan over all of it.

You're turning this board in to GameFAQS. Don't like what I'm saying? Stop overreacting. You are. Every person who argued about this roster not being up to Par didn't throw out things like "THIS IS TERRIBLE! IT'S LIKE THEY CRUCIFIED THE GAME!" because that's just ********.

I've said it three times, and I'll say it again... even with the 25 characters you had earliar, people assumed this to be an excellent roster. Now they've added 10, that may not have been your suggestions but were still valid, and you're still crying.

And once again, every time you say 35 is too small, I want to punch you. Did you miss the point in which the average character roster for a fighting game was? LET ME REFRESH YOUR FRIGGEN MEMORY:

32-- TEKKEN
20-- SF2TURBO
22-- DOA4
18-- VF5
37-- SFA3

The ONLY one that tops Smash's roster is SFA3, and we're forgetting they pretty much just threw in RE USED sprites(without updated movesets or tweaks which Sakurai has promised us). And besides the VS games which much of the time use simplified move sets(excluding CvS2. I'll give you that, but that's hardly enough to justify how bad some of these people are *****ing), You've gotten a roster in the HIGH NUMBERS.

THIS GAME IS A FIGHTING GAME. QUIT CRYING. It just amazes me how some people with High posts(I'll give you a hint, they're named after a final fantasy character!) go so overboard with the roster. If you were HONESTLY getting into this game SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE(That means, "JUST BECAUSE") of expecting a character who at the get go wasn't even announced to be in it in the first placed, NOR had a confirmed spot... that's just ********.

I don't go and play STREET FIGHTER, talk about how great the game is, and then when I find out Guile isn't unlockable, chuck my controller at the scream and go out to stab people. Why? Because that would be immature, and stabbing people is difficult, because they're are cops everywhere, and Link has been stabbed like 83 times already due to how many STUPID rosters have been leaked it's unbelievable.

If you're over the age of fifteen, show some **** maturity and please don't overreact like 95 percent of this thread has been doing for the past 10 hours. It's just ludicrously stupid. You guys are better than that.

If I have to post this again, I'm going to do it in large caps letters, because you people dont' seem to be getting the point.
This post = win.

IMHO, the character choices aren't a big deal if they balance the game good. I'd hate it if we had all these characters, and then only like three characters are actually of any use in playing (Marth, Fox, and Falco in Melee for example). Balance > Characters is the way it is. If you wanted a 48 character roster with clones and with your desired character (one of them) would you be happier about that even if the game is sorely unbalanced and the character you love is not on par everyone else?

I wouldn't. I'd take a roster of 35 with better balance than a roster of 48 with a horrible balance any day of the week. It'd be Melee all over again, I don't want Melee again. I want an improvement and if 35 characters is the amount we're getting in order to get a real good balance between characters (look at Bowser!) then I'm all for it. Even if the character choices are bad, it does't matter because if you hate them when will you ever use them? But, wait! Eventually you will use them because you want to try them out OR they became the best character(s) in the game!

So, you see, either way crying isn't solving anything. What's done is done, can we drain the river of tears yet?

Note: "you" is used a generalization for a group of people, not you specifically.

Black/Light

Smash Master
This is the complain that gets me the most pissed. It's the same thing Samurai Panda complains about updates.
What do you expect? You've been anticipating the game for over a year, you have broken down the probabilities of every character you could possibly think of to be in the game. There are no surprises? No wonder, this entire board did it's ****edest to take out any surprise.
Geno should be a surprise, but if he's in, it won't be.
R.O.B. Should be a surprise, but if he's in, it won't be.
On and on, you guys act like getting a dang, "surprise" is the whole point of this. It's a video game, the best part, the biggest surprises come when you PLAY it. All this energy towards trying to predict what will happen just ruins it.
Let me rephase that. . .

We know ALL but 3 new characters (WW Link=Y Link in a toon style). I would have perfered for PT/ D3/ Olimar to also be unknown characters at this point reither than to have they thrown on the dojo before what looks to be a whole lot of vets.

It's not the "surprise". . .I stopped giving a flying crap about about the "surprise" after it got pushed back to feb 10th. It's just the simply fact that they would show sooo many new characters over the huge amount of vets that is bad.

Like this. . .If they are going to show SOOO many new character on the dojo than IMO they should have given up Falco/ Ganon/ Marth/ Jpuff/ Luigi by now to make it way more vets than Newcomers on the site.

And like CB said, I aint upset by the number. . . but the characters seem less than expected in some ways.:ohwell:
Toon Link over Midna. . .Toon Link is like the Paper Mario of the LoZ land.
Wolf over Krystal. . . Krystal alone would be enuff for this to look great. And I truely think this crazy man is twisted enuff to give her staff to either Falco or Wolf with some crazy "I took it from her to make him more unique" reason for it like with Ness/ Luc/ Zelda.
Ness over Masked man. . . Do we need Ness now?
Zero over Ridley. . . need I say more?

I have accepted this and all I can say is that I HOPE TO GODDESS that Falco/ Wolf/ Toon Link are ALL unique and not clones in any way.

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
Did you miss the point in which the average character roster for a fighting game was? LET ME REFRESH YOUR FRIGGEN MEMORY:

32-- TEKKEN
20-- SF2TURBO
22-- DOA4
18-- VF5
37-- SFA3
161-- DBZBT3
62-- MK: Armageddon
40-- Tekken 6
37-- SF Alpha 3
56-- MvsC 2
60-- Narutime Accel 2
40-- CvsS 2

I see no reason why Brawl should have less.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
anyone who believes this roster is stupid...that's the plain and simple truth to it...
look how many people were like "z0MG almightygoat have mah babies" seriously, you all flock to whoever might have news, and they know this, and they are ABUSING your gullibility and LAUGHING at you faces. To everyone...calm down, it's fake. nuff said

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
This post = win.

IMHO, the character choices aren't a big deal if they balance the game good. I'd hate it if we had all these characters, and then only like three characters are actually of any use in playing (Marth, Fox, and Falco in Melee for example). Balance > Characters is the way it is. If you wanted a 48 character roster with clones and with your desired character (one of them) would you be happier about that even if the game is sorely unbalanced and the character you love is not on par everyone else?

I wouldn't. I'd take a roster of 35 with better balance than a roster of 48 with a horrible balance any day of the week. It'd be Melee all over again, I don't want Melee again. I want an improvement and if 35 characters is the amount we're getting in order to get a real good balance between characters (look at Bowser!) then I'm all for it. Even if the character choices are bad, it does't matter because if you hate them when will you ever use them? But, wait! Eventually you will use them because you want to try them out OR they became the best character(s) in the game!

So, you see, either way crying isn't solving anything. What's done is done, can we drain the river of tears yet?

Note: "you" is used a generalization for a group of people, not you specifically.
SCREW balance! You guys are still only going to play as Sheik, Marth, Fox, and Falco again, perhaps with a healthy dose of Sonic and wishing Zero Suit Samus wasn't banned. The entire existence of tiers is AGAINST balance, and every fighting game has tiers.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Rapscouters latest, will delete if already posted. I'm trying to punch through the lagstorm:

rapscouter said:
Im back, and it's your lucky day, because im only including 2 lies. I will also include a couple of updates from the past couple of days, because many of you were not able to see them, because they were modded so fast.

There are NOT 35 playable characters.

Mewtwo is returning ( I know I have said this many times before, but he will be back. I do not see the reason why they would take him out or replace him, he was a cool character with a unique and non cloned moveset.)

R.O.B. is not playable.

There will be a level dedicated to the history of Nintendo.

Espeon, Umbreon, and Suicune will be pokeball pokemon.

Subspace Emissary will have some form of a online mode.

You will have to fight dark versions of some characters in Subspace Emissary.

Bajo & Kazooie are in Brawl.

Sora is in Brawl.

That's it, can you find my lies?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

32-- TEKKEN
20-- SF2TURBO
22-- DOA4
18-- VF5
37-- SFA3

Hmm, I wonder to whom you might be preaching...could it be moi? Well, in that case:

1) Hyperbole has its place; don't forget it. Words like "abomination," "horrendous," and the like are used for effect (or at least when I've seen them). Granted, they still betray a disappointment with choices made about this roster, but I think you're overanalyzing the word choice of many of us malcontents.

2) I don't agree with the people that simply say how awful the roster is sans explanation. Some, however, bring up valid concerns and problems with what has been (allegedly) revealed. (I will touch more upon this in the next section.)

3) Oh, what a difference 10 characters make, though! You're comparing two radically different times: think of it as the world pre- and post-World War II. A major event (allegedly true roster reveal) that turned the world upside down. (Again, hyperbole--learn to understand it. But there is absolutely no denying that the Smash community isn't generally up in arms about all of this.) When it was simply the 25 characters revealed by the DOJO, the roster seemed perfect. Sakurai was really taking directly from the famed "journal," and it seemed like this game was all about fanservice. We had so many newcomers, and it seemed unlikely that we could possibly have seen most of them...there had to be plenty more hidden newcomers, too...right? Until this alleged leak came to pass, I was convinced that this roster would be truly perfect. Delusional? Perhaps. But few of us had any reason to doubt that Sakurai was doing everything possible to please as many fans as possible: plenty of characters, and good ones at that.

Since you are most likely addressing my disdainful remark about the "ridiculously small" roster, that was more in reference to a point brought up by FlipTroopa. I could live with a 35-character roster, don't get me wrong; but my sardonic comment was more criticismic of the way in which Nintendo's own hype and information have shaped our collective expectations for the game. Sakurai has hinted that this would be his last game, or at least the last Smash game. The DOJO frequently makes note of things being as good as they possibly can be, saying that "they really have thought of everything!" Our expectations are high for a good reason.

Your figures aren't necessary in this case; I know that 35 is a big number for a character roster in a fighting game, and I'm sure most of the community here does as well. The only games that come to mind with higher numbers are MvC, and that's a different beast altogether. (Although Smash-X was kind enough to post roster numbers that were actually higher than 35, just for reference.) As you might have noticed (in perusing the thread's previous pages), members like ChronoBound and myself are disappointed with the quality, NOT quantity of the roster.

And in that same vein, the reason many of us are disappointed is not because there are only 10 characters left; we are disappointed because of who is left. Most of these "last surprises" are highly unsurprising: 6.5 veterans, 3.5 newcomers. (I use halves because Toon Link is essentially Young Link--a veteran--with a graphical overhaul, making him technically a newcomer.) Among those newcomers, two are HIGHLY questionable (Wolf and R.O.B.), and one is questionable in the sense of who it replaced (Lucario replacing Mewtwo). The fact that StarFox gets three representatives, at least one of whom will likely be a Fox clone, seems odd when a franchise like Metroid is still left with Samus by her lonesome--not to mention the fact that Wolf hadn't NEARLY the amount of fan support that Krystal had.

Also lacking is the element of surprise. These characters, these faces that we've all seen before--THESE are the hidden characters?! We expect something unexpected and exciting; to leave rehashed characters as "secret" seems anticlimactic. This is what posters like FlipTroopa and myself mean when we say that our hype for the game has died. There isn't anything terribly exciting about the characters left to be revealed. Three-fourths of the remaining combatants have all been seen before, and the other quarter of them are questionable choices. To unlock Ridley, for example, would be far more surprising and enjoyable than unlocking, for example, Wolf.

4) Ah, the personal reference. Since you are so interested in figures--including my high post count--might I suggest that you take a peek at when I joined these boards? ...August 2001, you say? Ah, I see. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Brawl was first officially announced at E3 '05--May 2005, am I right? And, well, barring some strange rift in the time-space continuum, I find it to be a physical impossibility for me to have "HONESTLY" become so enthralled with this game "SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE" (i.e. "JUST BECAUSE") of expecting an unconfirmed character whose chances aren't guaranteed.

Yes, 'tis true: I joined in anticipation of Melee way back when. And I never got involved with the Smash series because I was truly hoping that X character would be playable--that's foolish. I became enthralled with the series because Nintendo has been a huge part of my life since age 3. To me, the Smash series encapsulates so much (if not all) of what Nintendo is. I love the Smash series for its style, its gameplay, and its celebration of Nintendo's history.

That being said, despite my love of Smash stemming from its overarching features, the specifics DO matter, and no specific aspect is more important than the roster itself. One excluded character does not a bad roster make (again, hyperbole is our friend sometimes!), but a slew of them missing does tend to fuel discontent with the final product. It isn't as though I will boycott the game and curse the name of Nintendo. Of course I'll buy the game on release day, probably as early as possible so I can play it as much as possible on the day of release. It just won't be nearly as exciting as it could have been--wasted potential, to be frank.

So, in short, I think that there are overreactions throughout the thread, but I wouldn't call them a majority by any means. MANY of us are legitimately dissatisfied with the roster for realistic reasons--very few people were expecting 75 characters with 4 reps per franchise or something exorbitant. I think you're either misconstruing some of what has been said by a good number of us, or simply overemphasizing those who do not rationalize their complaints.

And, since you chose to go toe-to-toe (;)): who are you to complain about this thread and those who post in it? Come down off that high horse for a second; no one asked you to come preach to the disgruntled masses, and I honestly don't think your admonitions are as necessary as you have deluded yourself into believing. If you are so aggravated with this thread every time you come back, there's a simple solution: don't.

Much as your misguided, pseudo-altruism has driven you preach to us, I must likewise stress a point to you:

Many members of the Smash community were highly disappointed with Melee's final roster. Many members of the Smash community will be similarly disappointed with Brawl's final roster. There will be plenty of complaining; frankly, I think this thread is just the tip of the iceberg. Granted, it will die down after a good while, but it won't be immediate.

And, again, if you are so aggravated by the general dissatisfaction with this roster, just think: wouldn't you rather people complain now instead of later? I, for one, would much prefer to get it all over with now.

I look forward to reading your original message once again. And, say, if you really want to garner some attention, don't just go bold--underline and italicize, pump the text up to size 7 (at least!), and put it all in red! I'm sure that will get the message across.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
anyone who believes this roster is stupid...that's the plain and simple truth to it...
look how many people were like "z0MG almightygoat have mah babies" seriously, you all flock to whoever might have news, and they know this, and they are ABUSING your gullibility and LAUGHING at you faces. To everyone...calm down, it's fake. nuff said
"Everyone who believes this roster is stupid" ok.

I am going to track you down and laugh so hard at you when this is confirmed.

Just because you people hate it, it must be fake, despite the evidence. GET OVER IT.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Agreed about the Krystal part. Sakurai said this is a more fan based project. From what I seen, Krystal had way more support than Wolf - not to say he didn't have any. But based on the fact of the infamous poll, her gender, her move set potential, and her voice actress LEAK.. I dont see how she wont be playable.. :-\

And the fact that he stated once in an update about the possibility of running int ounlockables if you play online.. I mean I gather he would refer to newcomers since the returning ones are known. And with that little of hidden newcomers?

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
I still hope the roster "leak" is wrong and that we (and those prophets) got lucky that Lucario, Ness, and Jiggs is in....

Although I don't see it happening.

Hey, I want a job as a game tester. By that time, the new Smash Bros. game will be in development, and will have been delayed alot. XD

Just for 40 characters. wahaha.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
161-- DBZBT3
62-- MK: Armageddon
40-- Tekken 6
37-- SF Alpha 3
56-- MvsC 2
60-- Narutime Accel 2
40-- CvsS 2

I see no reason why Brawl should have less.
RedrappeR got owned!!

But, while those games have enormous amount of characters, they also have tiers and top tier chars own everyone else(Storm, Magneto, Doom+Strider,TS Hinata,TS Shikamaru,TS Sasuke, Sasori, etc...[I may be mistaken on some of those chars, I just named some stuff that worked(that I remembered]).
Also, is that last game capcom vs snk 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom