• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An index of "leaks" and status: forbrawlbattle's "second post" and Brawl360 removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
We still have no idea of the starting roster. Personally, I think only 14 characters will make it, mostly based on Sakurai's choice to only demo 14 at a time.

And frankly, I don't consider the commercials as substansial reason for the characters to be on the starting roster.

Snake and Sonic are big back bone characters to the games potential sales boom. But to only have 15 new characters, 1 of which I think is a joke to consider new, and show off 12 of them is a bit of a bold move, and they could have at least saved some characters for November and December, which were awful update months.
I'm not even talking about starting roster, though. I'm saying that those characters were revealed earlly on the Dojo to build hype. The remaining roster will be revealed after the game releases, beacause they aren't very hypable...

The issue is that if we knew about these 12 characters early, and the leaked roster had all the crazy newcomers like Pokemon Trainer, Deded, Pit, olimar, MetaKnight, Snake, and Sonic. We would be going crazy over the 35 character roster, but it'd be the same roster!

Boofer

Smash Ace
PkunkFury said:
Actually, it was a good idea for them to reveal the good characters early. The real secret characters are Snake and Sonic, but hype for this game wouldn't be half what it is without their announcements. Secret characters can't be used to help push the game, so the desired characters had to be announced early to make the commercials. Otherwise you'd probably see the likes of Pit, Diddy and Olimar as hidden. Consider Captain Falcon. No one buys F-Zero games anymore, so they moved him to thhe back of the roster again

Old characters aren't interesting. People expect them to be in anyway, so most of them are unlocked. The hardcore were probably expected to be happy to see them return. Advertising shouldn't care that old characters like NEss or Marth hunga round when contemporary versions could be included
Now I'm not saying that they should have only revealed veterans. I'm just saying they shouldn't have revealed as many as they did. Of course they should have revealed Sonic and Snake to build hype and because they're third party characters. But did they really need to reveal 4/5 of the newcomers in the game? Look at melee. We only knew of roughly half of the newcomers and it did fine, correct? So why in the hell did we need to know so many this time? All it did was make people think we were getting a whole bunch of other surprise characters in the game.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Am I the only one happy about that Krystal didn't kick Falco out? I only played the Star Fox 64 game and I liked Slippy the most, but now that Falco was in Melee, I don't want to loose him again.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
Now I'm not saying that they should have only revealed veterans. I'm just saying they shouldn't have revealed as many as they did. Of course they should have revealed Sonic and Snake to build hype and because they're third party characters. But did they really need to reveal 4/5 of the newcomers in the game? Look at melee. We only knew of roughly half of the newcomers and it did fine, correct? So why in the hell did we need to know so many this time? All it did was make people think we were getting a whole bunch of other surprise characters in the game.
The majority of the unlockable newcomers in melee were clones. We only unlocked three new movesets to Melee.

For brawl we still have 3 unrevealed new movesets:

ROB

Wolf

Lucario

plus possible new movesets in GanonDorf, Toon Link, Ness, and Falco

So with Melee, we also already new most of the roster before it launched. It really is a lot better than melee. I don't think they can give os 6 clones again. 4 at most

Chepe

Smash Lord
Just like with people getting over Melee's "terrible" roster once they played the game, the same will hold true for Brawl, just everyone watch.

When they find out how exponentially better Brawl is than Melee, people will forgive Sakurai for leaving out a few beloved characters...

bd43

Smash Cadet
But it wasn't a good idea to reveal those 12 so early. If they saved, say, 6 newcomers instead of 3, people would be happier at the prospect of playing the game and they could still have had 1 new comer per update month.

They'd have been better off posting vets with new moveset if this turns out to be the case.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
But it wasn't a good idea to reveal those 12 so early. If they saved, say, 6 newcomers instead of 3, people would be happier at the prospect of playing the game and they could still have had 1 new comer per update month.

They'd have been better off posting vets with new moveset if this turns out to be the case.
I agree they could have spread them out more. But... they were planning to launch in November... That's why the later months dragged.

Still they were right to reveal what they did before the game launched. The Japanese commercials focusing on every character were proof.

Really Sakurai should have hinted to us the total newcomers early, so we could be prepared, taht would've helped

Luigi player

Smash Master
Just like with people getting over Melee's "terrible" roster once they played the game, the same will hold true for Brawl, just everyone watch.

When they find out how exponentially better Brawl is than Melee, people will forgive Sakurai for leaving out a few beloved characters...
Yes, it is true that this game will still be soo good, but there are still MANY disappointments...

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
The issue is that if we knew about these 12 characters early, and the leaked roster had all the crazy newcomers like Pokemon Trainer, Deded, Pit, olimar, MetaKnight, Snake, and Sonic. We would be going crazy over the 35 character roster, but it'd be the same roster!
This is true. I'm sure heaps of people would be stoked if PT was revealed though this leak.

Or rather, they would say "No way that would happen" and then call the leak fake.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is true. I'm sure heaps of people would be stoked if PT was revealed though this leak.

Or rather, they would say "No way that would happen" and then call the leak fake.
I think Sakurai should not have shown as many newcomers as he did, and should have instead made characters such Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Dedede hidden. Really, the hidden character list is like waking up Christmas morning only to discover you received the same gifts you received last year.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
A reason why the Roster is probably fake

The User of the Katrina Sticker likely being an Animal Crossing characters (also goes with the icon for AC)

I'm sure theres many more reasons

Experience tells us to be weary of leaks such as this, but you guys are jumping on it as if its truth. It may well be truth yes, but be weary...

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
For Nasir. But that's partially because prior to coming onto the computer and joining this discussion I just got back from playing Path of Radiance and
defeating the Black Knight and recruiting Nasir into my party.
:grin:

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
I think Sakurai should not have shown as many newcomers as he did, and should have instead made characters such Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Dedede hidden. Really, the hidden character list is like waking up Christmas morning only to discover you received the same gifts you received last year.
For us, yes. But for the millions of people how aren't guarenteed to buy the game, they could be the characters that convince them to play. These were the characters high on poles. It was important to get them exposure. When has he had a hidden charcter in Smash that people were clamoring for? MewTwo maybe, but I think they were ashamed of him

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
True, there's no reason to believe that there isn't more as well as this 35... but heck, keep the expectation low. At least we'll be surprised.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

The User of the Katrina Sticker likely being an Animal Crossing characters (also goes with the icon for AC)

Experience tells us to be weary of leaks such as this, but you guys are jumping on it as if its truth. It may well be truth yes, but be weary...
MarkMan and Remo both already told us the entire list of newcomers. The only four yet to be shown on the Dojo are Lucario, Wolf, Toon Link, and R.O.B.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
This roster sucks. It really does. Not going to lie a single bit, this roster is absolutely god awful.

So now, I'll be completely ignorant and say this:

"I can't wait for the Japanese release so that this roster can be deconfirmed."

bd43

Smash Cadet
I agree they could have spread them out more. But... they were planning to launch in November... That's why the later months dragged.

Still they were right to reveal what they did before the game launched. The Japanese commercials focusing on every character were proof.

Really Sakurai should have hinted to us the total newcomers early, so we could be prepared, taht would've helped
That's really an incredibly bad way to go about it.

Let's start by saying while he may have wanted to release in November, he was quite sure by, say, Lucas' update, if not earlier, that that wasn't going to happen. Lucas should have been held back to November, after Sonic in October, and Dedede would have been great in December, with Olimar in January.

This, at the very least, would have been much better, but he could have went further.

Plus, for every character that was announced new, a new moveset for Melee characters could have been there instead. Marth, Ganondorf, Falco are rather obvious. Perhaps even Luigi.

They wasted three new character updates and 4 vets at the same time. And that sucks, too.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
MarkMan and Remo both already told us the entire list of newcomers. The only four yet to be shown on the Dojo are Lucario, Wolf, Toon Link, and R.O.B.
Exactly my point

What makes these people so worthy...what makes them different people as well

You're taking randomers at face value. Yes they may be right...but they have the same chance, if not higher, of being wrong

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet

Reno knew about the Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur in early December. He also leaked the VF5 online news when Sega was denying it. He seems to cover a wide range of fighters, and he lives in Japan. I have a feeling he helps balance them before launch, since he's very knowledgable about the process. Either that or he knows someone who does.

I realise you have your own sources, and I'd love to be convinced that Reno is wrong. But I'm afraid, at this point, you'd have to say a lot more to do it. claiming that an animal crossing sticker that grants magic power will be used on an Animal Crossing character won't cut it. That's likely for the Zelda group. If you've heard other rumors from acutal sources that an AC rep is indeed in, I'd be a bit less skeptical. You're a journalist, so you know the differnce between your own conjecture and stuff you've heard from people in the know

AC rep was my number one wish for this game actually, so I'm bumbed about this...

Chepe

Smash Lord

But most of us have agreed that a Magic powerup doesnt make sense for an AC character. Since there are few characters with magic-based moves, I believe the sticker might be only for characters like Zelda, Ness, Lucas, and perhaps Ganondorf or Lucario.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
All I'm saying is that you should be a lot more cautious...you're believing people at face value...

...you people go all high and mighty when I go in with my good history and vaguely say things, but when someone else does it you immediately believe them...kinda a double standard dont you think

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Also, we shouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that because the Katrina sticker is a "unique" sticker, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's unique to an Animal Crossing character. All it means is that it's a unique sticker.

I'd personally place my bet on Zelda, given that she's the only one so far that really uses Magic.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet
That's really an incredibly bad way to go about it.

Let's start by saying while he may have wanted to release in November, he was quite sure by, say, Lucas' update, if not earlier, that that wasn't going to happen. Lucas should have been held back to November, after Sonic in October, and Dedede would have been great in December, with Olimar in January.

This, at the very least, would have been much better, but he could have went further.

Plus, for every character that was announced new, a new moveset for Melee characters could have been there instead. Marth, Ganondorf, Falco are rather obvious. Perhaps even Luigi.

They wasted three new character updates and 4 vets at the same time. And that sucks, too.
Even if they new by Lucas, they had to keep up the illusion that they still planned to launch. Just like NOA pretended Feb 10th was legit when they knew **** well back in November that they never planned to do it

I agree with you, I'd rather the stuff were released that way. But considering the delays and the people who are not ahrdcore smash fans, it made sense to pu the exciting characters up front. Bare in mind the "how to play" updates. The Dojo was not just for us, it was for everybody

bd43

Smash Cadet
Well, in theory, pokemon and fighters are like light sabers and pod racers.

Though since you were right, your source must be as well, and I would hope that all sources would be as tight lipped, though I imagine that's not truly the case.

Still, I hardly believe anyone, but flexibility is nice. Being so makes the pain go away.

Chepe

Smash Lord
All I'm saying is that you should be a lot more cautious...you're believing people at face value...

...you people go all high and mighty when I go in with my good history and vaguely say things, but when someone else does it you immediately believe them...kinda a double standard dont you think
Good advice for all. But I believed you, and so did many of us sensible ones. And I think that people hold this Reno guy as high as some us hold you in high regard which is why people believe him. But yeah, no final roster is COMPLETELY confirmed yet...

JPSChampagne

Smash Cadet
Well, is there anything, so far, to suggest that the character-specific stickers are done by means other than franchise? From the pictures I've seen, specialty Kirby items? Kirby characters. Pokemon? Pokemon. Earthbound? Earthbound. So why write the Animal Crossing sticker off as an item for Zelda?

Serebii has an excellent point, also, about the double standard here. No matter what they have revealed in the past, these are still just some guys on the internet that we are inclined to believe, just because of our fears about what the game may be.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
This roster sucks. It really does. Not going to lie a single bit, this roster is absolutely god awful.

Hey guys, remember those two pages of posts in which people were discussing things rationally without jumping to far stretched conclusions completely ignoring the entire dojo's revelation span? They're gone. Thank this post.

PkunkFury

Smash Cadet

not at all, I've believed your info since the accidental leak you tried to cover up :grin:

I'va also beleived Nya and Chaos Zero since their stuff was proven, and the starman net the day it was posted. In fact I was pissed when they got Jonk banned from GAF for posting the rumor. When you know how the industry works, it's not hard to tell where real info would come from. The Reno stuff could sitll be bogus, and I'd be happy if it is, but it matches with a number of other legitimate leaks and comes from a source i trust very much

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord

Wow I hope your right

bd43

Smash Cadet
Personally, I do feel that SSE will make up for any imediate flaws in the title. It looks to me like there are a lot of varying options, as just the first area seems to give you 3, and we've seen up to four with Mario saving Peach/Zelda. Do I think that some options will be set the first time through? Yeah. At least things like Mario being shot away. But the way the game works, it seems like every character but 1-2 will be made into trophies by the end of the game, and just seeing how that plays out will be fun.

Maybe this should have been a whole other title on it's own. But they didn't pick a bad place to put it either.

And they added a whole lot of new movesets. Characters are cool

But I guess the worse inclusion from that list is WW/Toon Link. Two Links is so stupid, and the space could have been better used by a ZELDA character, even if it should have gone somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom