• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

American Dad OR Family Guy

D

Deleted member

Honestly, neither. I never enjoyed either of those shows and never quite laughed at the supposedly "funny" parts.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'd have to go with Family Guy, but in the later seasons, it got ridiculously repetitive. The only time they could introduce a joke at that point was by saying "Like that time when I...", etc. Also, the day that the writers run out of vague '80s references, that show is over.

As for American Dad, I never really found that show to be funny in any regard.

:ohwell:

Clownbot

Smash Lord
They're both incredibly stupid in my opinion, but if I had to choose...

Family Guy.

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
This is blasphemy! American Dad all the way man.

It's just like Family Guy, only with way more intelligent humor and better plots.

Family Guys is still funny but in a more simple, goofy way.

Peter vs. the Chicken <3

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Old Family Guy had the right mix of abstract craziness and actual characters. I consider the first season or two post-revival as "old family guy".

The new seasons are just constant gimmickry, wearing however endearing the characters once were down to nothing. I thought the South Park satire of Family Guy was a bit strong but necessary. Now I find it 100% accurate.

American Dad on the other hand has only gotten stronger as it went along. It has really found its voice and I think the creators' love for it at the expense of the former really shows. redcell and I always said that AD was the Futurama to Family Guy's Simpsons. A once funny show devolves into a stale and rarely funny, formulaic pile of crap, while the significantly more intelligent and fresh of the two series grows stronger day by day while also incredibly unappreciated.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I've just never been able to get into American Dad because I don't like any of the characters (no, not even Roger). Which actually does also mirror Futurama for me. I recognize some of the really good humor in both shows, but neither of them have the kind of characters that I can love, while Family Guy and The Simpsons both do.

So I prefer Family Guy. Though it is becoming stale.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Meh, I've never really liked either of them, but Family guy is pretty good.

However, american dad got a LOT better as the series went on, and family guy got worse, so I may change my decision later.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Given how overly crazy Family Guy is, they could probably just plop the storyline of American Dad, then put into Family Guy.

I still enjoy both though.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Old Family Guy had the right mix of abstract craziness and actual characters. I consider the first season or two post-revival as "old family guy".

The new seasons are just constant gimmickry, wearing however endearing the characters once were down to nothing. I thought the South Park satire of Family Guy was a bit strong but necessary. Now I find it 100% accurate.
This, I probably still prefer FG though because I've never really been a fan of AD.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I'd say neither. but since i only have those 2 choices the winner is american dad only because it seemingly has an actual plot unlike family guy which is 75% "flashbacks"

old family guy is alright.

granzagirl

Smash Rookie
After the first season, American Dad got really good. They stopped going after typical white republican christians and instead of treating the show as a vehicle for some thinly veiled political motives, made it enjoyable to watch.

Of course, those first two seasons of Family Guy is Seth McFarlane's best work.

Also, first post

Hinryu

Smash Apprentice
I really like Family Guy more than American Dad. Though the humor isn't as great as it used to be.

If it were possible, I would love to see Futurama make a comeback. I love that show, it's so much better than FG or American Dad.

FrancisM2DaIzH

Smash Cadet
I really like Family Guy more than American Dad. Though the humor isn't as great as it used to be.

If it were possible, I would love to see Futurama make a comeback. I love that show, it's so much better than FG or American Dad.
my man! futurama is the ****!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
1) Futurama IS the ****

2) Futurama IS coming back you guys are terrible fans for not knowing that

3) Get back on topic this isn't about South Park or Futurama, although I usually like both shows more than either of the titular ones.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
redcell and I always said that AD was the Futurama to Family Guy's Simpsons. A once funny show devolves into a stale and rarely funny, formulaic pile of crap, while the significantly more intelligent and fresh of the two series grows stronger day by day while also incredibly unappreciated.
We do indeed say this, but I totally thought of it first! I think AD would be a lot more popular were it not for the relatively weak start it had and being seen as a 'rip-off'/replacement of Family Guy.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Family Guy, though not as funny as before, there's so parts that as still funny as **** around. Better than how the Simpsons have aged these days I think :p

American Dad's a show i'll watch if nothing else is on I guess. It's OK, not really funny or anything...

I want the old shows back! :/

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion

American Dad on the other hand has only gotten stronger as it went along. It has really found its voice and I think the creators' love for it at the expense of the former really shows. redcell and I always said that AD was the Futurama to Family Guy's Simpsons. A once funny show devolves into a stale and rarely funny, formulaic pile of crap, while the significantly more intelligent and fresh of the two series grows stronger day by day while also incredibly unappreciated.
I agree with this post.

In a way, I rather like Family Guy, but I would rate it the lowest out of the big 4 comedy cartoons (Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park, Futurama). The humor is usually much too random and ********, deviating from the plot. The South Park satire of it was pretty accurate on this.

South Park and Futurama are definitely the best of the four (Futurama being the #1). Simpsons is really quite hit or miss now, though I still like it.

If you add in King of the Hill, all four of the shows own it. KotH is usually not funny... at all.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Family guy, hands down.

Then again I enjoy both, but you have to side with the majority :D

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
American Dad has gotten to be better than Family guy, but I still enjoy both.

BUUUUT, I'd rather watch Futurama reruns over them anyday.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Family Guy is epic. American Dad is far from that state.

However I'm more into satire than any other style of comedy and Seth MacFarlane and his writers sure know how to write satirical comedy

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They're both incredibly stupid in my opinion, but if I had to choose...

Family Guy.
This.

Both of them are pretty unintelligent but American Dad has never entertained me in any way, shape, or form. Family Guy has at least a little.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
stewie was funny until they made him gay, and a coward. he used to be this evil genius which attracted me to the show. but peter is still funner than any character in american dad(only episode i found funny was when stan is in heaven).
But the evil baby genius thing is so trite. I think Stewie is a much better character now that they've moved him away from that. Family Guy is struggling now because their jokes have started to become more miss than hit lately, but the characters themselves have only grown more dynamic as time has gone on. I think Stewie and Brian in particular have come a long way.

Top Bottom