• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with chain camping?

I've heard that on Ganondorf, if you chain camp right, he can't do anything. Yet when I do it, he gets hit a few times, and the attacks me. How do you do it right?

Also, theoretically, can the Chain stay out forever if you hold down B? I haven't had the patience to see if it ends automatically lol...
Well for starters did you do the jump into chain? Doing the normal chain give your opponent so little stun that it's nearly impossible to camp with it. Also it might be possible that you were just trying to do it at a percent too low. Also keep in mind although it's technically possible to continue to chain camp even if someone get's behind you it's highly unlikely you be able to maintain it.

oh and as far as I know it does stay out forever.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Well for starters did you do the jump into chain? Doing the normal chain give your opponent so little stun that it's nearly impossible to camp with it. Also it might be possible that you were just trying to do it at a percent too low. Also keep in mind although it's technically possible to continue to chain camp even if someone get's behind you it's highly unlikely you be able to maintain it.

oh and as far as I know it does stay out forever.

No, I didn't jump into chain. By the way you say it, it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
No, I didn't jump into chain. By the way you say it, it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort...
But it really is. The chain does so much damage so quickly when someone enters it's reach and being jumped over isn't a simple task. Sheik chain when fully extend can reach from the ground to touching just below the top platform on battle field and because of the chain lock you can't get rolled behind. Because of it's extremely long flexible disjointed hit box whoever you are facing will be force to double jump to get over you. When that happens that's when you decide if you should retract the chain or hold your ground.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
But it really is. The chain does so much damage so quickly when someone enters it's reach and being jumped over isn't a simple task. Sheik chain when fully extend can reach from the ground to touching just below the top platform on battle field and because of the chain lock you can't get rolled behind. Because of it's extremely long flexible disjointed hit box whoever you are facing will be force to double jump to get over you. When that happens that's when you decide if you should retract the chain or hold your ground.
Pretty much chain camping at the ledge removes this factor.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Pretty much chain camping at the ledge removes this factor.
That factor but it adds another such as ledge attacks and those are fairly hard to counter and if they are above 100% then it's really hard to stop if not impossible. If you really want to chain camp then you are going to have to space yourself just out of the range of ledge attacks.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
chain camping is so impractical and it doesn't work against any characters that matter. I'd still love to see videos of this being effective in tourney level play.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I would still love to see some vids of Sheik being effective at tourny level play lmao.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I would still love to see some vids of Sheik being effective at tourny level play lmao.
hahaha. I'll have some vids up soon my sheik is really good. Just not against national level MKs... I need more practice!

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
It turns out I have no way of putting up vids so I'll have vids up around.... never. =( Unless I can give someone my replays and they put them up for me. That'd be so awesome.

Hey Mars is back!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I have nobody to play at the moment cuz im stuck in the middle of smash nowhere so im not commenting on really much of anything cuz all im doing is playing wifi and cpu's right now lmao.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
lol. Wifi is legit. There's plenty of proof that you can learn a lot from wifi now.

So no takers on that helping rathy get vids up request?

saviorslegacy

Hey Mars is back!
*elect him announcer
lol. Wifi is legit. There's plenty of proof that you can learn a lot from wifi now.

So no takers on that helping rathy get vids up request?
LMAO! Not with Sheik dude.
I can barely short hop on wi-fi. lol Wi-fi can only take you so far.

Sure, if you have anything new I wouldn't mind stealing it from you and and it to mt personal guide.
(and) if you are wondering I will give you piece's of the guide. I do not want to release because #1 the format that it is in is bare bones and you'll have to have a mind like Ankoku, Tristan, <3 or anyone else that looks at their hands and see DACUS callus.
#2 There is to much info in there. I want to master it all and then reveal it in a tourney. Probably the only other person that knows as much as that guide is probably Tristan. In all honesty.
So yeah, I want to be greedy with it.

I see no harm in giving you a section though. As long as I don't give out to many sections I should be fine.
Anything you want to know?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can barely short hop on wi-fi. lol Wi-fi can only take you so far.
This makes absolutely no sense. Shorthopping involves releasing the jump within 4 frames, whether you're on Wifi or not. Unless you're releasing jump by watching the 4-frame animation, there should be nothing preventing you from shorthopping consistently on Wifi if you are able to normally. The same goes with inputting a DACUS.

Also, I don't perform DACUS.

This makes absolutely no sense. Shorthopping involves releasing the jump within 4 frames, whether you're on Wifi or not. Unless you're releasing jump by watching the 4-frame animation, there should be nothing preventing you from shorthopping consistently on Wifi if you are able to normally. The same goes with inputting a DACUS.

You can still mess up inputs depending upon the lag. If the game as both button lag and animation lag you can mess up. For example you might jump at the right time and input an aerial shortly afterwards, but if the game lags (spikes) when you input the aerial sometimes the input gets missed. That happens a lot to me sometimes when I try to recover. I will UpB once, but wifi spikes at that very instance and so therefore I have to input the command again.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...which, in turn, would make shorthopping even easier because you'd end up with a larger window of time. Unless your jump input itself got eaten by the lag, in which case your connection is pretty bad and you should probably find someone else to play with.

saviorslegacy

I attack on the start up instead of the ending. That way I can retreat in case of failure.
However, the combination is like, (possibly pivot)> jump> c-stick> DI away
However, on wi-fi I like always FSmash. -_- It is ignoring the jump or I am inputting it to fast and it isn't recognizing it or something.
It also makes me perform a chain instead of a needle boost/
In other words my spacing game gets f***ed. Which is no good at all.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If your connection is that bad, then you're probably better off not playing Wifi. And yes, it is a case of bad connection - lag spikes don't happen universally.

If your connection is that bad, then you're probably better off not playing Wifi. And yes, it is a case of bad connection - lag spikes don't happen universally.
Or just change who you play against. I get a better connection with Ally and Holy in Canada (at least I thought they were in canada still when I played them) than I do from someone a state over.

saviorslegacy

Which is exactly why I avoid wi-fi unless it is to some RNDM person like Xyro or Neo.
Well, I also play with my more n00by friends, but that is rare.

I prefer a CPU or someone IRL.
Or just change who you play against. I get a better connection with Ally and Holy in Canada (at least I thought they were in canada still when I played them) than I do from someone a state over.
Funny fact, I have good connection with some people in EU, or at least better.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I find computers very fun to play against.
they don't help you competitively, but i just play them for entertainment purposes.
especially when they do stupid stuff like my glide tossing diddy...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Any reason you're cutting your tilt locks short for fthrows yet not effectively capitalizing on them?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Sheik vs Fox w/ no ftilt locks = LOL. Lemme guess, no-cheap tricks clause? That doesn't help anyone >_>

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
:( cuz it's friendlies I don't like doing it......

eventually virg makes me though

saviorslegacy

Virg is a good Fox... but a bad Zelda. lol
I liked him when I got the chance to play him.

Anyways, I agree, extended tilt locks in friendlies is just so, so, so gay. -_-
I will do it but I end my tilt locks soon because abusing Sukarai's gayness is dumb when it comes to friendlies. That is unless it is chain camping, I'm always up to chain camping practice. :)

-dMT-

Smash Lord
My friend's ask me to do anything I would in a tourney match. Holding back doesn't make for good practice. If anyone insists on fighting my Sheik as Fox, they very well know of the tilt lock 0-death. Giving them vs Sheik practice on successfully staying clear from the ftilt lock and winning perhaps I think is better, and my friends agree.

Plus, I know a lot of people who don't do cheap moves in friendlies until they lose, at which point they feel compelled to go all out to sort of prove that they were holding back... which makes the whole idea of holding back in the first place a joke lol

One thing I've learned is, if you don't play to win whether it be friendlies, MMs or tourney matches, you develop bad habits.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
One thing I've learned is, if you don't play to win whether it be friendlies, MMs or tourney matches, you develop bad habits.

Yeah thats true. and virg kind of thinks the same way...

I play smash semi regularly. I live in a hot spot for smash. Virg is probably the person I play with the most. When I play friendlies I play to learn not to win, it's a chance to experiment do crazy risky crap and have fun. thats how I see it. a chance to learn and test your limits and break past them. You shouldn't be doing this in tourney obviously.

Virg prefers that I ftilt lock, but after living and playing with Xfactor for like 5 months and experiencing how it feels to make a mistake and lose a stock I just don't have much fun doing similar things to other people in a friendly match espeacially if I play with them on a near day to day basis.I feel ilke I learn more not doing that.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_iUi7RhYA
here's another one. think by now virg has convinced me to tilt lock him.

RE-EDIT:
Almost up to the recent stuff~ verus virg's DK and fox.

My friend's ask me to do anything I would in a tourney match. Holding back doesn't make for good practice. If anyone insists on fighting my Sheik as Fox, they very well know of the tilt lock 0-death. Giving them vs Sheik practice on successfully staying clear from the ftilt lock and winning perhaps I think is better, and my friends agree.

Plus, I know a lot of people who don't do cheap moves in friendlies until they lose, at which point they feel compelled to go all out to sort of prove that they were holding back... which makes the whole idea of holding back in the first place a joke lol

Which is why you never play friendlies, only 1 penny money matches xD

iLight

Smash Lord
a handful of my matches at the oklahoma tourney were recorded, i'll link you guys to them once they are uploaded. I got 9th in singles, lost to Dphat in MK dittos and FK(ZSS) against my sheik, he was good.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
zss is tough, like when u can tell shes moving really fluently its hard to find those spots where u have frame advantage and stuff D:

i hope to see ur matches soon light :D

<3 haha u should gimp more, virg is putting his fox in bad spots a lot. its all good tho its friendlies

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sheik dies at like 100% too most characters lol so I have no problem abusing ftilt whenever lol.

iLight

Smash Lord
yeah i'm not going to lie, my matches with FK were super close, he was really smart and hard to read though since he was so good i lost my cool a little bit while i was playing and reverted back to a few bad habits in the final match aka rolling around because i'm freaking out. that didn't cost me the match as much as a trip in the last stock of the final match it was super close still but yeah when he gained like 20-30% + putting me in recovery position thats when i lost pretty much

Top Bottom