• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Active Sheik Mains Roster
Atlantic North

Atlantic South
Username | Preferred Name | Location | Most Recent Tournament Result | Medals
<3||Woodstock, GA|???
ScaryLB59|Ed|Tampa, FL| 3rd out of 23 at Holy Smash: Deuteronomy (12/17/2011)|
stealth3654|Billy|???, GA|5th out of 31 at Iron Brawl II (11/12/2011)|

Midwest
Judo777|Judo|Louisville, KY|9th out of 67 at REVENGE (11/19/2011)|
Juushichi|Juu|Columbus, OH|21st out of 33 at Charity Gaming III (10/23/2011)
Ripple||Champaign-Urbana, IL| 3rd out of 18 at KMYM 3 (10/15/2011)|
Sailor Princess Twenty-Two.|Tutu|Ann Arbor, MI|9th out of 40 at The Phoenix Saga Pt.1 (12/10/2011)|

Pacific West
phi1ny3|Phil Nye|Portland, OR|???

Southwest
愛sight|aisight|Las Vegas, NV|23rd out of 43 at E4S: Champion (12/10/2011)|
Good ol' Tree|Tree|San Antonio, TX|25th out of 97 at Lone Star Circuit Championships (11/12/2011)
-Mars- (banned)|Mars|???, UT| 3rd out of 18 at FUS RO DAH!! (12/10/2011)|
xKilikx|Kilik|Houston,TX|25th out of 37 at HOBO 34 (12/17/2011)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uh, no? I was told that people who aren't Ankoku should be joining the group.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This thread is already pretty cool.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Now I'm being told I should be joining if I feel the same way.

Stuff I'll discuss that you shouldn't listen to:
Sheik has a fantastic gimp game, especially thanks to her awesome needles.
Sheik can indeed gimp many characters because of her fair, which has a relatively low trajectory and knockback, as well as her tether recovery in the form of chain. I'm not entirely sure where the needles thing came from, but yeah, she can limit angles of recovery with them. In particular, Falco will have to be a lot more careful about Side+Bing at stage height, and recovering to the ledge from above leads to free damage as well as a potential aerial gimp setup. I don't really think her other aerials are good for gimps... while bair hits harder and reaches farther than fair, it can be DI'd way up. Uair will never gimp. Nair can override more than bair, generally (for example, Falco's Phantasm... I don't really understand why it can beat the bair), and it might give you a setup for an edgeguard directly at the ledge (wallspike bair omg). Edgeguarding with dair is lol. Even though it is possible to recover to the stage after using it, having a straight upward knockback can only "gimp" by wallbouncing, and bair is much safer in that regard anyway.

Sheik's aerial movement speed leaves a bit to be desired in terms of her range of edgeguarding, though you can cover lower angles by doing the whole needle slide thing... it follows the same mechanic as Vanish Gliding. It is, generally, best to antagonize with needles until they get close enough to hit back out with an aerial, rather than trying to reach them when they're still way out there. Especially considering Sheik's recovery, which covers decent distance but is easily gimpable, itself, if you're not careful with it.

Oh yeah, and chain can throw some people off who just try to fall toward the ledge.
Sheik has some reliable approaches, unlike Ganon
Duh. Sheik's best anti-air approach would be SH bair or SH nair, while ground-to-air is limited to SH fair autocancel. Ground to ground, Sheik runs FAST. It's not impractical to approach with running shield, running grab, dash attack, etc. every once in a while. These options are all punishable, of course, but you have enough options to mix it up and keep your opponent guessing.

Overall, though, Sheik is much more effective at finding openings and punishing them (then following up; I don't think juggling once you've got someone in the air counts as "approach") than cutting in from a neutral situation. Since she moves and attacks quickly, Sheik can capitalize on even miniscule openings very effectively, and when she does, her aerials and throws (all of which send upward at a pretty decent distance for even more followups) can keep the damage going.
Sheik has options that setup for KO's.
Ftilt to usmash, and grab release usmash/grab release DACUS are probably the most obvious ones here. There aren't any other true "reliable" options for setting up into KOs, but generally keeping yourself safe on block with auto-canceled aerials and spaced tilts can expose openings in a shield. I don't have much to say here, since I've always felt that Sheik is better off just running with the situation and landing a KO when possible, rather than fishing for setups, but if you're able to consistently avoid punishment through spacing then I don't see any reason why not to go for these once the opponent reaches the right % to usmash.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hey Alex. :)

So guys. Sheik. What's to discuss?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Her dair from really high up so it auto-cancels and leads straight into ftilt.

Or her fair leads into ftilt sometimes.

Or how about my favorite: Is it true Fair sometimes trips the opponent at lower %'s leading into a free anything pretty much?

Actual discussion matter:

Who else finds spoiler tags annoying?

illinialex24

Smash Hero

Or her fair leads into ftilt sometimes.

Or how about my favorite: Is it true Fair sometimes trips the opponent at lower %'s leading into a free anything pretty much?

Actual discussion matter:

Who else finds spoiler tags annoying?
I prefer the text color thats the one you can't see unless its quoted. Forgot the number however....

Metatitan

Smash Master
So is it just me or is Champ like, waaaaaaaay better than all the other sheiks? He does some stuff others don't use, like two jabs to down smash.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
#1f1f1f

Only works if you're running the Revolution skin, though.

and it doesn't look perfect either

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Do any of you except Ankoku even use Sheik?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, I'm usually the victim of some cruel joke by those jerks that use spoiler tags.

They usually write something along the lines of "Wow, you just wasted time highlighting this useless piece of text. GG."

@Bunny - I did once.

legion598

Smash Ace
although shiek is now above Ike in the teirs (justice) I think she is capable of far more and shes actually a decent character. BTW I found that she has an interesting advantage, a lot of ppl have no experience on fighting her and dont even know what shes capable of and this has occasionally given me the upper hand in a match especially when u pull out a DACUS and their like WTF! -dead-

SuSa

So is it just me or is Champ like, waaaaaaaay better than all the other sheiks? He does some stuff others don't use, like two jabs to down smash.

So he mixes his game up a lot?

Do any of you except Ankoku even use Sheik?

3rd most used char. Right after Snake and Ganon.

Simply because Sheik is sexy, and Pit gives me a run for my money Snake or Ganon. Sheik's gimp game is too good.

Also Sheik IMO does better against Wario then Snake or Ganon. My other bad matchup.

I just don't come here often.

EDIT:

@Legion

A good player should always have at least some matchup experience. You shouldn't be relying on that to win. Sheik has options, and a good punish and gimp game. I feel she can be a bit higher but her difficulty to use well is a limiting factor. To use her at high levels of play, you actually need to know how to use her...

legion598

Smash Ace
shiek is my secondary after marth and I also use peach, if u think killing is hard with shiek try using peach 0_0

who here plays pure shiek? without that fat hoe zelda

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I usually don't run Transform, since when Sheik gets momentum she can really keep landing hits until something kills eventually.

It's not that bad, though. Zelda's slow.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Illi and Susa are trolling our board D :

Her dair... *sigh* what happened...

Sheik's moves as categorized by a pokemon tier list:

Overswarm Used
Jab
Forward Tilt
Down Smash
Up Smash
Neutral Air
Forward Air
Back Air
Needles
Grab
Forward Throw
Back Throw

Borderline
Up Tilt
Side Taunt
Vanish

Under Used
Dash Attack
Down Tilt
Chain

Never Used
Up Throw
Down Throw
Forward Smash
Down Air
Transform

I'm sure there are little nuances some might have with the list. I don't care. It's general.

Look what you've gone and done... you've spoiled it

*EDIT* *Raises hand*... pure Sheik.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only situations I've been in that let me autocancel dair was when I was launched up there by some attack. Is there any spot from where you can actually start a dair and autocancel it, without having to get hit by the other guy first?

SuSa

The only situations I've been in that let me autocancel dair was when I was launched up there by some attack. Is there any spot from where you can actually start a dair and autocancel it, without having to get hit by the other guy first?
IIRC (haven't used dair in quite some time) it's like Sonic's/Toon Link's/Other momentum dairs.

It goes on for quite some time, but it does end eventually. Although I don't know if it's exactly like TL's where it goes on for ages and the only time it'd ever cancel is if the momentum part just didn't apply to the move.

I'll test it later today. LMAO I probably am wrong and am thinking it acts like Sonic's dair when it indeed acts like Toon Link's dair. :laugh:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, it definitely ends at some point - as some guy or other (probably saviorslegacy, he's the only guy silly enough to think of edgeguarding with Sheik dair) noted, you can full-hop from the side platform on BF, dair, and double jump and Vanish back onto the stage, no ledge required for recovery.

As for how early it actually ends.... Yeah. : \
You might be able to pull it off from the top platform of Stadium Grass Form after full-hopping.

SuSa

I don't think it auto-cancels so much as ends at a perfect time. But if you can do that to edgeguard with then I'll assume it can pseudo-auto-cancel (lol stupid name for it) on stage. And if quick enough you should be able to ftilt.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It works like Sonic's dair, it just takes ****ing forever for it to end.

Best use I've ever found with dair is starting it from way up and then using a bair at the end, so I super-fastfall with an aerial that doesn't have huge landing lag. And the obvious use of getting back on the ground during Stadium 2 wind form, of course.

Top Bottom