• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Because I like the MU on both sides, I don't like risking getting gimped, and I felt in a Snake mood that day.

No way was I going to do Sheik dittos rofl.

It was great to meet you though, I saw you do work against Teddy (Bladewise)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Mostly I was just wondering why you didn't go your main (Lucario) but I guess if you wanted to play Snake then it's fine.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, I was choking with Lucario at this tournament, and when I played Snake in some mms, I felt I was more comfortable with using snake at the time haha. Either way, it was a good match, and it was good to meet you (I accidentally mistook you for Tree because of your tag lol).

@tutu: Even when you get three stocked? I did okay against him as lucario, but my sheik got insanused in the anus :p

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I got 4th of 19 people today. only lost to fino

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I got 13th yesterday, went Sheik one set.

Beat DrillbitSammy with Pit 2-1, Lost to Y.b.M.'s Kirby with Mario (game one I took him to one stock). I wasn't comfortable playing Keepaway vs a Luigi (Sammy) with Sheik and I felt Mario was my best bet vs Y.b.M.

Went all Sheik vs Tako. Lost 0-2. FD game one (one stock), BF game two (two stocks).

Overall, I was very unhappy with how I did. I allowed myself to go into autopilot as the sets went longer, got read and then tried to speed up my tempo to force my way though only to get bodied some more.

:phone:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Once you go autopilot, that's where most of the losses come from. All about always thinking and mental stamina. Just keep on it Juu. You got this. Any vids?

Do you have any vids also Ripple?? Wanna see your Sheik in action! Good work with the placement!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ripple's Sheik is very cool, although I have to say I laughed and cried when Ripple got "blocked" on Rainbow Cruise when he recovered, the block literally pushed his vanish down to die early rofl.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Preparing to watch, kinda in a critiquing mood so if you have any matches, I'll look at them right now to. Bout to look at Ripple's after I look at the match I posted in the video thread.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Double Post (Probably can be moved to Video critique though)

@Ripple's Vid
Your 1st stock was rough. At the very beginning you took a quick 16% from pikmin. You can afford get them pikmin off ya a little quicker. Honestly, it wasn't that bad but you got caught running/landing into a bunch of things and then he read you for the Usmash. Not bad but since you didn't get to do too mch damage, not good either. Umm, as you know dash attack isn't safe on shield and he punished accordingly. I'm thinking this stock could have used more needles but Olimar is pretty obnoxious.

2nd stock: Man he was all over you. Not much I saw that you did wrong, he was just playing very well. I think you could have put a little more ressure on him when you got him off stage with some NAirs after it appeared he footstooled you to get back on the stage. You may have been able to get the kill there. Olimar is hard because he covers landings so well with grabs when you try to get at him. Stupid range lol.

3rd stock: Great work coming in and getting the kill. There's that aerial pressure I was talking about right away. This was like a brand new Sheik. Great use of the jab -> grab game and great work reading his immediate ADs, taking your time. You started capitalizing more on his AD more than ever and it payed off. The one lame thing I saw in his stock was he was still covering your landings so well. I believe that eventually killed you but the aggression you started churning out was working so well for you.

Really good comeback attempt 1st match, I guess mixup landings and ledge getups even though that is difficult with Olimar and all his range. Out of throws, look at their habits and see if they airdodge or attack. Funny to say but work on your Rock/Paper/Scissors out of a throw and be able to react quick enough. It'll allow you to wrack up so much more damage from throws. A question, @3:15 was that a JC Usmash? That was a very good punish on reaction.

2nd match
You started out very well. The only real times where you took damage is when he covered your landings. Hilt ADs a lot so there were lots of openings when you popped him up but he was able to get away because you went after him. All I can really say to this is to mixup when you're gonna chase him and when you're gonna read AD. Getting good at this read/stalking can keep him in a bad place for sometime. The SD sucked. Never ever been in that position before but couldn't you have ledgejumped safely?

2nd stock, good job coming back and getting that quick kill, but that first Dsmash was unsafe had he shielded all the way. Way to read that AD and tag him with NAir. Great read when you jumped up onto the blocks and attacked. Complete shame that you got blocked because you were doing well on that stock.

3rd Stock: Good pressure when you came back. I though you were close to dying when he hit that Usmash offscreen. I think you could have killed him with jab -> jab -> Dsmash at 8:20 instead of going for the grab. He would've had to DI really well to survive. Right after this you took a lot of damage from pikmin and covered landings. Gotta be just a tad quicker clearing them pikmin. Nice, quick UAir for the kill. Great work of needles throughout your entire stock, needling your way back into the match. The DACUS you did was relatively unsafe but the element of surprise kept ya safe. Sadly, you died with him covering a landing.

You played very well Rip. My advice to you is to work on reading Air dodges. There was so much free damage Hilt was throwing out there because it seemed like every time you popped him up, he'd AD. Cover those, and you wrack up MEGA damage. Olimar is tough because he covers landings very well and that's where I felt like Hilt got the majority of his damage. You gotta find a way around that even though our options aren't too good. Try and land more FTilt because you didn't throw it too much when you got in. Maybe use that to cover when ppl are ADing to the ground lol. Great work though.

EDIT: Great work in your matches against JOEY and Fino. You have a nice style. You're definitely gonna keep on improving with more usage.

Judo777

Smash Master
Is that really Hilt?????? I miss him so. He's pretty good at Sheik MU. Everyone from KY is and they don't even know it lol.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Sup guys. I'm picking up Sheik as a tournament secondary. There are a few Sheik matchups that I'm freakishly good at, so I figure why not actually learn her.

Sooo yeah I'll be posting vids and stuff. I doubt she'll get much tournament use if MK isn't banned, but if he is, then I'm goin hard.

Judo777

Smash Master
Sup guys. I'm picking up Sheik as a tournament secondary. There are a few Sheik matchups that I'm freakishly good at, so I figure why not actually learn her.

Sooo yeah I'll be posting vids and stuff. I doubt she'll get much tournament use if MK isn't banned, but if he is, then I'm goin hard.
Everyone always does lol.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Nooooo Tutu Ganon is absolutely horrible on brinstar. Don't let anyone tell you differently. The only thing he has going for him on that stage is lavacides, which no one will ever fall for lol. Literally every other aspect of the stage is just piss awful for Ganon.

But yeah anyways. Sheik is too fun. I'm really good at the rock paper scissors so she's kinda natural to me. Not sure why I haven't picked her up before now TBH haha.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You were too busy maining Ganon so you could switch to Meta Knight. :V

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Pretty bad. Better than Brinstar though IMO.

It pretty much stops being a fighting game for Ganon and becomes a platformer lol. He can stay pretty safe though so if you don't SD on the left side then it's not horrible.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Well Ganon's decent on Norfair if that's ever legal, though I don't ever bother with it even if it is legal.

Ganon's good on... SV, BF, and FD. CP stages kinda wreck him in general lol.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
^ it's true, I sometimes lose two matches every time I lose a match

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
General advice - Punishing landings:

Shieldgrab

Pros: Can beat anything as long as they land in front of you.
Cons: Doesn't kill, doesn't deal a ton of damage, is really obvious.
Summary: Probably the safest landing punish available, which makes it a decent option at any point in the game.

Charged Up Smash

Pros: It kills.
Cons: It's somewhat slow, it doesn't have a very long-lasting hitbox, and it's very punishable if it fails.
Summary: Just about the heaviest punishment you can get on someone trying to get back on the ground, but with it comes a lot of situationality and risk. Only viable if you can bait an airdodge as they're falling near the ground, otherwise will almost certainly either miss or get interrupted.

Charged Down Smash

Pros: Quick, covers a lot of ground, hard to avoid
Cons: Still a charged smash that can be seen coming, doesn't lead into anything
Summary: Probably a good punish for people who insist on air-dodging right behind you or something similar, but other than that's it's just a safe bet for possibly less reward than grabbing.

Forward Tilt

Pros: You just landed a forward tilt on the opponent. You figure it out. Also, decently long-lasting hitbox for easier timing.
Cons: Vulnerable to a lot of aerials
Summary: Once you get to that magical percent, this is probably the most rewarding way to catch an air-dodge. Don't forget about this option.

Up Tilt

Pros: Very long-lasting hitbox, beats out a lot of things, safe
Cons: Doesn't do much of anything
Summary: A nice, quick reminder that falling at you with aerials isn't always going to work. Useful as one of Sheik's most disjointed attacks.

Down Tilt

Pros: Low to the ground, can avoid a lot of aerials, decent range, very easy to time
Cons: Sheik's least useful tilt
Summary: Sends in a marginally more useful direction than Up Tilt at certain percents. Doesn't beat out as much, but Sheik crouches so low that she can just dodge aerials instead.

SH Neutral Air

Pros: Weak hit can set up for dash attack, dash grab, (sometimes) ftilt, running usmash, etc.
Cons: Puts yourself into the air waiting, requires a lot of pre-emptive action
Summary: You can either hit hard with an exact timing nair, or catch air-dodges and set up for interesting punishes with it. The nair punish takes a bit of reaction to abuse properly, and is best used at higher percents.

Nothing else is particularly useful for punishing landings.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It kinda is, I was really hurting when you kept going for usmash lol.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Fair enough, I think I enjoy landing it too much. Guess this means I gotta add a few tricks.

Trying to make up for Sheik's outright inability to kill early without gimps is hard lmao.

:phone:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
jab isn't to terrible either since it leads into so much and adds a little bit of free damage

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think jab beats anything that ftilt doesn't, and out of the two I'd much rather land ftilt.

Top Bottom