• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Random tripping is not an element I'm particularly supportive of, because it is not a mechanic that explicitly encourages walking or anything like that - with a probability of 1/100, it is overreacting to adapt any real strategy to it, yet it is still significant enough to have a real impact in a game. Compared to Gordos (8.2%, or about 2/25 chance), Luigi's misfire (8.33%, exactly 1/12 chance), and other things of that nature, it's unreasonable to play expecting it for some sort of tactic, only as an inevitability.

Admittedly, it's slightly better than playing Peach and expecting to pull a Bob-omb every game (0.33%, 1/300 chance).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The other problem is that it occurs in a very important and regular component of the game: spacing. D3's waddle camping, luigi recovering, etc., although these have a higher chance of the anomaly happening, are things that are somewhat scenario intensive, whereas tripping is not only universal, but it happens to some characters that rely on ground game extensively (my least favorite is tripping as ICs or Snake imo), and unlike missle/waddle, is often used in close quarters when you need all that control to maximize your evasion while minimizing your risk.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
My point is this:
Random elements however undesirable they may be do not make a game "uncompetitive". Saying sakurai hates the competitive/tournament community when there is 0 record of him saying so is wrong.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't think Sakurai hates competition, but I don't think he really gives a **** about how that works out in Smash, either.

As for random elements, let me know when slots becomes competitive. There's only one random element in that.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
"Slot tournaments do not require a lot of special skills, which levels the playing field and makes them inviting to all players."

You have me convinced - you don't need to be against competition to make a shallow game.

iLight

Smash Lord
in regards to tripping you unless you trip while attempting to space backwards really only punish you when you would be intending to punish other people and does not seem very conducive to competitive play, I don't like getting punished when i intend to dash powershield an f-smash or some other move (which is one of the things sheik excels at in my opinion). Though in some cases its possible to 'avoid' tripping by not moving at key moments such as when luigi is recovering from far out with his rocket or some such i guess, idk maybe its not really possible to come up with the best strategy to avoid tripping at key moments, its just going to happen like you say "an inevitability"

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I came across something weird while practicing this morning. Dunno if anyone knows this but you cam platform cancel without having to input an aerial. Just a quick fastfall input does the trick. This makes me :awesome:

Edit: with this new platform cancel method, I can Platorm Cancel -> DACUS!!!!! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

I'm giddy with excitement!!!!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, the crouch input was found when the technique was first found :V
I guess people just find it easier to aerial with C-stick or something.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I had a feeling it was known but I actually like this over canceling with aerials. I mess up when I use aerials or I'll actually do the cancel and not follow up because I'll mess up the next input.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
What stages would you guys like to cp mk to? Don't say fd because it gets banned errrrytime lol
SV. BF.

Run and charge u-smash and you can knock them off the platform if they shield, lock with needle, follow-up with whatever. If they up+b, then at least you don't get punished from the whiffed u-smash off the GR.

Halberd is a favorite too, if you don't mind never losing the lead. You know how it is.

sheikamaru

jive
Sweet. I'll have to see what's the deal with cp mks to halberd. Usually on bf I'm aiming to grab them on the lit circles under the platforms. On sb if the moving platform approaches then I just back throw into bair. Thanks for the input though :)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So anyone going to CoT5? It'd be cool to meet some of you people since I'll be there. I'll be at Apex too.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
SV can also help your recovery in a pinch, although good MKs can cover recovering onto the plat as well sometimes.

The problem with Halberd is that MK's love to shark that first transformation. If they fight onstage during that instead (and especially on the ship's deck transformation), the MU is a lot better. They'll probably shark the lead too, which is what I think he was getting at.

SV. BF.

Run and charge u-smash and you can knock them off the platform if they shield, lock with needle, follow-up with whatever. If they up+b, then at least you don't get punished from the whiffed u-smash off the GR.

Halberd is a favorite too, if you don't mind never losing the lead. You know how it is.
This is actually a pretty good idea, I've had MKs either get followed up on (usually with dsmash), or they tech it and get a punish on me, I keep forgetting to use needles to continue the lock just enough to get in for the kill.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
just stand on the plat if they are trying to shark you and when the come up just move down to the main stage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
why do they have to come up if they have a percent advantage? Can't they just shark and then go to the ledge on the other side?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
why do they have to come up if they have a percent advantage? Can't they just shark and then go to the ledge on the other side?
The could plank forever regardless of the stage pick.

The point is to avoid unnessasary free damage and/or sheild pressure through sharking until the stage change.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
nah not really. its impossible to enforce stuff like that. according to the experts mk doesn't need to scroog anyway his ledge game is perfection defined.
Most MKs don't do it unless they are gonna lose already any way.

Judo777

Smash Master
The big issue I have with going up on a plat against MK while sharking is if they SL they land lagless under you. Now getting back to the stage is tricky if the MK pressures you right.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I learned today that Sheik's dtilt clashes and interrupts Falco's jab, but does not get canceled, itself. This sucks, as it pretty much let the Falco get a free fsmash on me during the remainder of the dtilt's animation. Maybe it was because I spaced a bit too well.

Judo777

Smash Master
So i have the hardest time punishing falcos jab garbage at all. Like jab cancels seem to be rather unpunishable due to it outranging all of our tilts as well as outspeeding anything strong enough to beat it. It also inches him forward so we can't back up and toss needles or chain very well.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
good stuff Juu, sounds to me like you are playing from behind way too much. Try to work on getting a healthy lead because it makes all matches just a little earlier. Just keep improving man, also, vids would be nice so I can see what you're doing. Give ya some tips and such.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Alright. I don't have any from this tournament, but I'll make a note to save my matches in the future. I have a guy nearby who records, so as I stay in Columbus, I'll also bug him and get some of our matches up.

clowsui

Smash Legend
So i have the hardest time punishing falcos jab garbage at all. Like jab cancels seem to be rather unpunishable due to it outranging all of our tilts as well as outspeeding anything strong enough to beat it. It also inches him forward so we can't back up and toss needles or chain very well.
falco's jab is a pimp hand

discuss

GOTTA KEEP THE DEM HOES DOWN :troll:

but for real i always thought sheik had a very hard time w/ falco's jab not necessarily in a direct confrontation kind of sense but what happens after the jab and what falco does during the jab

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea Falcos jab shuts down a lot of Sheiks usual close range game imo......it's fortunate that ftilt is so effective against him or that matchup would suck bad:(.

Top Bottom