• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Your reason for playing other characters doesn't really make sense to me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well, maybe i should explain more fully.

just based on how my head works, I cant play one character in this game for extended periods of time. i play like 20 characters (only 3 in tourney tho) so if I play sonic for too long, i get bored and i get stagnant. so because of that i play falco and fox in tourney, because they are fun and i can do cool things with them and they are quick. (i need to play fighters with mobility)
Apparently tho, if I switch characters in tournament its because my sonic couldnt handle whatever challenge was put up there. so supposedly I cant be a top sonic or whatever because I dont go 100% sonic in tournament. but i realised that if im placing 1-3 places higher by Cping certain people with fox and falco, im ok with not being the best sonic or w/e because then i just get recognised as a player who places high in tourney.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's a more acceptable reason. I was kinda wondering about your first one 'cause it sounded like aiming for the opposite of recognition for no gain, haha.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I think the two can go hand in hand perfectly. Despite my consistent 9th placings (albeit, my last officially entered tournament was five months ago for various reasons), I've improved in the past few months, and have managed to take sets/games off of good/top players. So I absolutely believe the two can go together.

Then again, it's just all up to what the person's about. Pushing their limits, or placing higher.

TKD

Smash Lord
TKD i give my disclaimer in advance. When i read my own posts i sound like such a jerk sometimes. I promise it is not intentional and I don't have a condecending attitude toward anyone. I just am very opinionated lol
But dude, -I'M- a jerk. No johns. And I already like you. Worry not.

I have a version of Gecko OS (I hope all codes work with any version) in my friend's SD card (both that and the Wii in my possession are borrowed). When I start the game through homebrew, the screen shows: "No codes found", or something among that line. Would anyone mind linking me to the tags in replays and unlimited replay length codes?

I heard you only need a "codes" folder in the root of the SD, with the codes in it. Maybe the codes I downloaded are fake. Can anyone here help me?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
versus D3 look into bair on sheild for landing mix ups. spaced bair is unpunishable even by d3's grab. and when you are facing the opponent bair still hits them behind you, even when they are sheilding (unless you Psheild) D3 doesn't have a strong answer to reversebair->jab.

needles (2 or more) can always punish a waddle toss.

D3's ftilt->usmash window is huge.

ftilt ihas amazing range and is super safe just barely safe on d3's sheild just to give an example. punishing baited spot dodges rolls or landing lag or whiffed attacks into ftilt->usmash is so huge and very important in all of your match ups. You play fox, so you know all about using your speed and manuverability to get those kinds of opennigs.

get down the ftilt stuff and your sheik will be huge.

versus marth you can bait the upB out of utilt. if he is high enough above you you can hit with first hit and still be safe when he inturupts and you get in a free hit for it.

versus IC fair is safe on sheild but... honestly don't do it nana will grab you some how. ftilt is a better option but even still... you rarely want to ftilt from in front of IC because of the low chance the'r hand will be out the 2 frames that your foot is. if you are ever going try and poke I suggest doing it from behind when you've forced them into sheild. much safer and much more rewarding. platforms and controling space if really big in the match up. be patient solo popo is cake. so quick gimps pay of well. you can GR popo, the climbers tilt really well, and utilt splits them relatively well.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think the two can go hand in hand perfectly. Despite my consistent 9th placings (albeit, my last officially entered tournament was five months ago for various reasons), I've improved in the past few months, and have managed to take sets/games off of good/top players. So I absolutely believe the two can go together.

Then again, it's just all up to what the person's about. Pushing their limits, or placing higher.
Speak for yourself. Personally, I find remaining on a single character more limiting than anything else.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Speak for yourself. Personally, I find remaining on a single character more limiting than anything else.
I was speaking for myself. :p

I never said it wasn't "limiting" per se, rather, that it was entirely possible to remain with one disadvantaged character, but concurrently be seen as a high-tier player, rather than just a high-tier user of a character. Though, regarding limitations, I think many players prove how dedication and problem-solving with a character can yield enormous breakthroughs in said limitations.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Whether that is the case or not, "pushing limits" and "placing higher" are clearly not mutually exclusive, and are often very close to being directly related, so I can't tell why you'd even make the distinction on priorities between the two.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Whether that is the case or not, "pushing limits" and "placing higher" are clearly not mutually exclusive, and are often very close to being directly related, so I can't tell why you'd even make the distinction on priorities between the two.
Indeed, they're not mutually exclusive as is. However, I was referring to KID's post, where he said that he would switch out if his Sonic couldn't handle a certain MU, so he switches in favor of higher placing. In this context, the two are mutually exclusive, because he stated explicitly that he switched only because he felt he couldn't cut it with Sonic, which implies a self-imposed limitation.

My argument is that I'm a proponent for the notion that with such a forced pushing of limitations with a character, one can still achieve higher placings and be recognized as both the best of their character and a plain excellent player in general.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you misunderstood my post.

the idea that I switch because I cant do ____ with sonic is an incorrect assumed inference that OTHER people place on me.

i just switch because it helps me to keep from getting bored/stale and helps me to stay fresh and play my best which in turn improves my placings.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
you misunderstood my post.

the idea that I switch because I cant do ____ with sonic is an incorrect assumed inference that OTHER people place on me.

i just switch because it helps me to keep from getting bored/stale and helps me to stay fresh and play my best which in turn improves my placings.
Okay, I went back and read it. Gotcha.

Either way, my point still stands. :p

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My argument is that I'm a proponent for the notion that with such a forced pushing of limitations with a character, one can still achieve higher placings and be recognized as both the best of their character and a plain excellent player in general.
It's a non-argument. For the most part, I think people are against the players who are maining a single (usually under-represented) character solely for the recognition, not the players who are "pushing limitations." I'm not entirely sure why your name came up, but the point is that what's under question is the intent, not the action.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
It's a non-argument. For the most part, I think people are against the players who are maining a single (usually under-represented) character solely for the recognition, not the players who are "pushing limitations." I'm not entirely sure why your name came up, but the point is that what's under question is the intent, not the action.
None of that has anything to do with what I said, though. I'm saying being recognized as the best of an under-repped character can be perfectly congruous with being recognized as a good player independent of their character. I'm not questioning which is better or worse or which is more admirable. I'm purporting that the two are not mutually exclusive, as Kid may have unknowingly implied.

Judo777

Smash Master
Hey guys I think I found something neat thought I would post about. Sheik's vanish cancel has just about no landing lag at all. I also simultaneously disproved tutu's theory on how vanish cancel works.

Anyway if you vanish an appear the exact height to get the completely lagless vanish cancel, you can actually land on top of a snake mine and powershield it. I did it about 20 times today to be positive lol. Just kinda neato. However (going against what tutu was saying a while back) if you appear even lower to the ground than the perfect cancel height (giving you the still pretty low lag but not the perfect cancel) than you can't powershield the mine.

Again not that important but i find it pretty cool. Our Vanish Cancel has less lag than just regularly landing.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
So there is absolutely no frames of landing lag when doing the lagless vanish?

Hmmmm might start vanishing downwards more when avoiding juggle attempts...

TKD

Smash Lord
We can bait Snake into whiffing his utilt and dacus him during cooldown. Damn. Oh and his leg is up so the first hit can get him too. How many frames does dacus come out in? If there's no data for that, I'd be fine knowing how many startup frames usmash itself has. Adding the dac is probably 3 more frames.

On another topic, dash shield looks like a great approach for Sheik. She takes the least dashtime I've seen to enable dash block. Seems perfect for zoning into MK's tilts to shieldgrab him. And grabbing him is just tasty.

If it looks like someone wants to intercept our sideb recovery, we should either make sure they won't reach or upb immediately, right? It's not cool at all to get hit as Sheik without her air jump. I'll start saving Sheik's air jump until as late as possible.

EDIT: If the jump's already spent, might as well fair the opponent out of the way. If they don't get in range for it, there's a good chance another recovery option is open.

btw I dacus with thumb on c-stick (smash) down plus bottom part of index finger on X (attack). I just can't afford to change L or R; I've used both for blocking/shieldgrabbing/airdodging since the beginning. I'm glad of having found the way not to change those!

Judo777

Smash Master
So there is absolutely no frames of landing lag when doing the lagless vanish?

Hmmmm might start vanishing downwards more when avoiding juggle attempts...
Not sure about no landing lag but its at least less than 3 frames lol

@TKD yes everything you said is correct. We confirmed punishing snakes utilt a while back with DACUS. Usmash is frame 12. And yes dash shield is one of sheiks best approaches which is why sheiks do it so often. Infact when i play other chars i run into moves alot thinking i can shield it not realizing i have been spoiled by sheiks dash shield.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You think the Midwest is cold? It's snowing and like 5 degrees in Utah right now.

TKD

Smash Lord
I played my 3rd session of Sheik game play today. Had major trouble executing DACUS at first. I tried to input the commands as quickly as possible, which was too fast. I now see that focusing on the rhythm for the input is way better than focusing on the speed.

Anyway I'll start recording each replay tomorrow morning (so in like 15 hours). I missed one but they're still many matches.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@tkd yeah i find that treating sheik's dacus much like marth's GR dair is very helpful. both are less about frames/speed and more about the "rhythm"/feel. same with falco's bdacus

are you going to start using her at TJ tournaments?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Might stream some of my bad sheik once I pickup holy abit later, if anyone is interested il post the link.

I still can't do any of the tech skill id like to be able to but eh, I can somehow manage without that.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I played my 3rd session of Sheik game play today. Had major trouble executing DACUS at first. I tried to input the commands as quickly as possible, which was too fast. I now see that focusing on the rhythm for the input is way better than focusing on the speed.

Anyway I'll start recording each replay tomorrow morning (so in like 15 hours). I missed one but they're still many matches.
Yeah rhythm imo is most important in nearly any character's movements that involve complex button presses, I kept wondering why I dropped IC infinites until I realized that I was rushing the CG and I'd miss the regrab window.

Imo the only scenario I can think of where you want speed of finger press is Melee Fox stuff, and even that requires timing.

iLight

Smash Lord
yeah i most certainly have a set of muscle memory timings that I have memorized in order to do certain baits and punishes involving dacus, mostly involving lots of split second direction changes into dacus, or trying to perfect space that fair on their shield so you can be grabbed as punishment

Top Bottom