• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Post Metaknight" Marth

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I've thoroughly tested this, even if Marth hits TL's shield with the very tip of his fair he is in range of TL's hookshot. If the dtilt is not tipped, TL can shield grab, if the dtilt is tipped, TL can roll away which is pretty much everyones best option in this situation. If he PSs the dtilt then he is still in range to shield grab. And TL is going to be in the air the majority of the time when Marth is trying to zone. The reason for that is because he will be using zair more than any other aerial as it is his only way of outranging all of marth's options. That being said dtilt won't do marth too much good as long as TL isn't grounded. Once Marth gets close to TL, he may not be able to use projectiles, but he still has his zair, and his sword is fairly close to Marth's in range, so its not rare that Marth will get hit even when zoning well.

As I explained earlier, TL can shield grab a lot, if he grabs Marth, a fthrow is all it takes to reset his positioning and begin his projectile wall again.

And what Makes TL's recovery so good to me is his second jump, although the distance on his up B is ridiculous >_> That plus bombos makes his recovery great. And because of the repeated attacks it can't be edgehogged if timed correctly by TL. And most TL's either get back to the ledge with their double jump or go low to recover, in which case a fair won't be doing you much good. He can also throw out his boomerang to stop Marth from gimping him.

And why exactly is a good TL goint to get gimped if he comes out to edgeguard now? You have me confused with that one.
If you're taking to the air and only using zair, you're going to get predictable, fast. Marth has multiple options in the air and will beat you there.

Okay, if TL recovers low, Marth can edgehog. If TL did the right thing and spaced it so that he would land on the stage in case of an edgehog, he's going to be punished. Looks like a lose-lose to me if Marth plays smart.

The reason he would get gimped if he came out to fight Marth is the same reason nobody goes offstage to fight MK - their gimping tools are inferior to his, and they are putting themselves in a disadvantageous position. DS can stage spike, fair can swat away attacks & projectiles. Zair is useless because it won't gimp anything with the low knockback, in fact it would set TL up for a stage spike after Marth gets out of hitstun.

I don't really want to fill this thread with this debate, though. If you want to try to change the matchup, wait until we've finished our last one, then revive the old TL thread.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ok, we'll hold off on this until then. Just a few quick points though:

If TL does use his up B at the proper time, Marth's invincibility wont last him and we will end up getting stage spiked.

Which of Marth's air options can outrange or outlast the zair?

Dont compare Marth to MK, MK has 50 jumps and the best Up B in the game. When Marth is recovering he is really limited to DS and fair. TL can simply throw a bomb to force an airdodge then fair marth when he comes out. Or he can simply drop down and zair as regular Links commonly do. It may not gimp him, but its still damage. If you know what you're doing you wont get stage spiked.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
TL's Zair really isn't that serious.

The range isn't as great as Samus's and it doesn't really lead into anything.

It's just an annoyance.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The zair can lead into a number of things from my experience. For example:

-If you shield the zair he can immediately grab upon landing
-If it hits he can grab, SH nair, or even dash > usmash sometimes
-If he's already holding a bomb he can throw it right after

The range may not be as good as Samus', but it still beats all of Marths options in terms of range.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If he hit with the tip of it I don't think he gets anything off it that's guaranteed.

I find it hard to believe that he could get a guaranteed grab.

If you shield a Zair you could more then likely dodge his grab on reaction. Hell you could just roll away if you are really scared.

TL has projectiles and Zair vs Marth. He has NOTHING up close. His range is nothing compared to Marth's and Marth attacks faster as well.

Once Marth gets in TL is one of most limited characters.

He can camp like a beast, this is true. But he can't hack it up close.

I can't see this is as even really when all TL has is a few moves and nothing else.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The grab is not guaranteed, but are you willing to risk spot dodging upon landing every time? I did that at one point, and it got me killed often. They can wait for the spot dodge and punish. It's a guessing game really, if TL guesses right then Marth is hurt, if Marth guesses right, it will usually just mean that he evaded taking damage. If you roll back you are doing exactly what TL wants you to, he is now once again in control because you gave him the space he needs to get his camping game going again. Also, TL's range is not THAT much worse than Marth. It takes much better spacing from Marth than normal to be able to keep TL out at close range. And he really doesn't have that much trouble resetting spacing even if Marth does get inside. Actually TL can actually get a good amount of his kills when Marth is inside. JC bombs out of shield create openings for smashes and you'll find that they often have a bomb in hand.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Once Marth is inside he has an easier time creating guessing games that are in his favor then vice versa. He has more range and attacks faster. That's a pretty big deal.

I just think that the TL's you are playing might just be better. No TL mains are really advocating that this is even nor are any Marth mains really saying it besides you. Sop it might just be your personal experiences.

Just going by what they have available to them Marth has more going for him. And TL's range is about half of Marth's. Only his f-smash can penetrate Marth's range.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Once Marth is inside he has an easier time creating guessing games that are in his favor then vice versa. He has more range and attacks faster. That's a pretty big deal.

I just think that the TL's you are playing might just be better. No TL mains are really advocating that this is even nor are any Marth mains really saying it besides you. Sop it might just be your personal experiences.

Just going by what they have available to them Marth has more going for him. And TL's range is about half of Marth's. Only his f-smash can penetrate Marth's range.
I win this matchup more than I lose it, so it's not like I'm consistently losing to TLs and reflecting that in my matchup. Also, I do have it slightly in our favor at 55:45. I try my best not to incorporate the results of my matches into the matchups, I just look at an overall view of the match in general. If that wasn't the case I'd be saying MK is 8:2 over Marth and D3 is 7:3 =P

Although, my training buddy is a TL, so some of that might show in my look on this matchup. I should probably note that we pretty much go back and forth here, we're like dead even. I still do play many other TLs, so I'm not basing too much off my experiences with my friend's TL.

Even then, it doesn't invalidate my standing points.

Looking at what you said about Marth creating guessing games, I really only see one. That would be the d-tilt trap. However, this loses effectiveness against TL because he doesn't really stay grounded too much against Marth. Also, if the dtilt is untipped or is perfect shielded, TL gets the shield grab, and this one is guaranteed.

Another one of Marths common options here is his fair. If TL shields the fair, it puts Marth into almost the exact same situation he is in if he shields TL's zair. TL can either shield grab, or wait for a defense reaction from Marth and punish. If Marth does a perfectly spaced retreating fair, he is not in grab range, but it gives TL the room he needs to retreat with a zair. Which helps him get back into his comfort zone.

Also, like in any other matchup Marth has, his opponent eventually will get by his sword, and when he does, TL can deal some nice damage. Bair chains can really only be escaped by a dolphin slash, which is very risky. His fair is a good kill move at higher percents too. His nair also comes out very fast and does good damage with decent knockback.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
i'd like to continue the debate on TL, any more thoughts?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
To throw in my own two cents, I'd say that Marth probably wouldn't (and couldn't) become the new MK if MK were banned.

Speaking both logically and realistically, let's ask ourselves. Who are Marth's main opponents in tourneys?

Mostly High and Top Tier characters. And Marth has the advantage only on Falco and Mr. Game&Watch. Other than that, his matchups are either equal or disadvantageous to him. I'd say Marth's average in Match-Ups is about 60:40 to 65:35, while MK's average is probably about 75:25 in most cases.

IMO, it doesn't really matter if he has "even to great" matchups against about 90% of the cast, because you usually only see about 20% of the cast in Tourneys. And Marth doesn't really completely **** that 20%. In fact, he (like said before) is only even against them in the exception of Flaco and G&W.

Not only that, but Marth has a high learning curve, definitely one I'd describe as at least the fourth or fifth hardest character to really play professionally. I will gladly admit that I have not truly mastered Marth. There are few truly great Marth mainers. On the contrary, MK is easier to pick up and win with. This means there'll be a lack of Marth wins at tourneys.

And finally, Marth isn't nearly a sbroken as MK, so characters stand a considerably greater chance. His range is slightly worse, he isn't as fast, etc. So even if he were to become the new MK, the gap between him and, say, Captain Falcon( and a lot of the rest of the cast), wouldn't be as big as MK's.

All in all, I highly doubt Marth would (or even could) become the new MK. But if he did, I'd say that it probably wouldn't be as bad as it is now, due to Marth not being so broken.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The one move that matters the most is the move that MK outspeeds and outranges Marth with his own.

I speak of the d-tilt of course.

****ing MK.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
i'd like to continue the debate on TL, any more thoughts?
:link:
Marth has the advantage on Toon Link 60/40.
The main problem is his projectiles. He can link[lol] things into good combo's. My friend uses Toon Link(Melito. Anyone know him?), and he's nasty with him. Bomb throw Z-air into Nair hurts. Arrow pressure(not double arrow). He uses SHFair Arrow Cancel so I can't get in.

Basically, I stay patient in this match up. I play 55 Defense/45 Offense.
I'd add more, but I have to go.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
TL can barely do anything once you are inside his projectiles and z air.. which aren't that hard to get by in the first place.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It's kinda hard to reply to such a short and general post, especially after giving a deep look into what he can do >_>

But, you can't really 'get by' his zair for very long. Lets assume you hit him with a fair, he can still just hop backwards and zair again to regain control of his spacing. And one shield grab > fthrow is all it takes for him to gain the space he needs to start his camping again.

In other news, if his dsmash hits you by the edge when you are under 20%, you are more than likely dead. And his dsmash comes out really fast, so it's not exactly rare that he can nail this.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That sh*t is known already and it's only if you try to DI the d-smash.

You are really adamant about this my man, but both boards agree so more then likely it's in Marth's favor.

It might not be 60/40, but calling it in Marth's favor seems accurate.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Haha I was vouching for 55:45, I do believe its tipped slightly in Marth's favor. And I didn't know about the DI thing, does that mean if any direction is inputted by Marth he'll go flying? Also, does it matter if you DI before the first hit or only the second? It's probably kinda difficult to not DI on reaction considering how fast it is.

But anyways, I haven't really heard anything that makes me think it's 60:40, and apparently I haven't convinced you yet either... But I really do think 55:45 in Marth's favor is accurate here.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Wait... I thought this was discussing whether or not Marth would/should/could become the new Meta Knight if Meta Knight were to be banned, and not the match-up of Marth vs. Toon Link.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yea it drifted pretty far off from the original topic. There is discussion of both going on now....

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Well, since this thread may very well soon become a spam/flaming thread, I'll say this random piece of stupidity:

Has anyone noticed that pretty much everyone who's posted on this thread has a charcater with a sword as their avatar and/or sig? And they're usually Marth. Ironic, isn't it?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth would win more, place higher, or regularly in the top 8 of tournaments, most likely.

I'm sure more than enough Marth players get knocked out by no one else other than a Meta Knight user. It really gives 'umpf' that it's 65:35.

Also Bengals, maybe you should read the old Toon Link topic? You seem to be rushing in here with a hot head and naivity under your belt without thinking that perhaps everything you've said has already been said?

Toon Link can't reliably brickwall Marth with his projectiles, and his zair while being longer in range than Marth is useless once Marth is inside. A smart Marth won't let himself get punished by a missed attack on a shield, once we're inside your zair range TL does not have the ability to 'shield grab' a well spaced Marth. Marth naturally continues to push TL further and further towards an edge/corner and then where else can he go? he's dominated.

And saying something like "Down smash under 20% will most likely kill Marth" is so stupid it hurts. Anyone who doesn't know about that is just an idiot, and if you only play idiots or you are the idiot yourself falling for that you don't have place to argue. Match Up knowledge is key here, situational and easy to avoid strategies and occurances ARE NOT.

"Oh Ganondorf has 50:50 match up with MK coz if MK is above 20% and near an edge and Ganondorf hits him with a Wizard Punch he is 100% dead, for sure, MK definitely has nothing that helps to avoid this and it definitely isn't the most easy to see situation in the world".

Bengalz, I used to think the match up between the two was even, I even argued my reasonings, and I was argued back and I conceded that it was so. At least I didn't try to argue things like his downsmash at the edge and a fthrow resets the situation completely. You want to know a move that actually does reset situations? Falco/Fox's Side B, TL does not have such a move.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth won't be banned. He has to work hard to win the large majority of his matchups.

It's not hard for him to screw up since he has no safe kill moves, and when he does screw up, he gets punished for it.

bobson

Smash Lord
The whole "Marth has no bad matchups" thing was brought up because that's the same reasoning that was being suggested to justify banning Metaknight. He wasn't saying that Marth was as good as Metaknight or would dominate the competitive scene if Metaknight was taken out, he was saying that if we ban Metaknight for having statistically the highest chance of winning, we will be forced to ban Marth later as a reasonable extension of that logic.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
The whole "Marth has no bad matchups" thing was brought up because that's the same reasoning that was being suggested to justify banning Metaknight. He wasn't saying that Marth was as good as Metaknight or would dominate the competitive scene if Metaknight was taken out, he was saying that if we ban Metaknight for having statistically the highest chance of winning, we will be forced to ban Marth later as a reasonable extension of that logic.
"Metaknight should be banned because of the relative ease with which he is able to dominate the rest of the cast and, therefore, the competitive scene."

Once that is said it doesn't follow that Marth, or any other character, should be banned in a post-Metaknight Brawl (obviously if some leap is made in the metagame that allows for a character to dominate as easily as MK does now, then you have a problem; but its not likely to happen).

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Also Bengals, maybe you should read the old Toon Link topic? You seem to be rushing in here with a hot head and naivity under your belt without thinking that perhaps everything you've said has already been said?

Toon Link can't reliably brickwall Marth with his projectiles, and his zair while being longer in range than Marth is useless once Marth is inside. A smart Marth won't let himself get punished by a missed attack on a shield, once we're inside your zair range TL does not have the ability to 'shield grab' a well spaced Marth. Marth naturally continues to push TL further and further towards an edge/corner and then where else can he go? he's dominated.

And saying something like "Down smash under 20% will most likely kill Marth" is so stupid it hurts. Anyone who doesn't know about that is just an idiot, and if you only play idiots or you are the idiot yourself falling for that you don't have place to argue. Match Up knowledge is key here, situational and easy to avoid strategies and occurances ARE NOT.

"Oh Ganondorf has 50:50 match up with MK coz if MK is above 20% and near an edge and Ganondorf hits him with a Wizard Punch he is 100% dead, for sure, MK definitely has nothing that helps to avoid this and it definitely isn't the most easy to see situation in the world".

Bengalz, I used to think the match up between the two was even, I even argued my reasonings, and I was argued back and I conceded that it was so. At least I didn't try to argue things like his downsmash at the edge and a fthrow resets the situation completely. You want to know a move that actually does reset situations? Falco/Fox's Side B, TL does not have such a move.
A hot head? I haven't shown any signs of anger, nor have I tried to force my opinion. You however have come off to me as very rude, as you basically just dismissed me as an idiot and blatantly attacked my intelligence.

Regardless, I'll try and ignore your attacks on me this time and simply reply to the ideas you stated:

TL's arrows are less effective against Marths, but he won't be relying too much on them. He will camp you with boomerang and bombs, and will only use arrow cancel after a pulling out a bomb, throwing a bomb, or an aerial. Or he sees an opening.

You say that TL's zair is useless when Marth gets inside. The problem is getting inside. You could also say that ALL of Marth's attacks are useless as long TL is camping or as long as TL has him at bay with his zair. If you're going to make that kind of argument you have to be fair. Now if Marth does get by, TL isn't a sitting duck, this is mainly because he can shield grab most of your offensive options as I explained earlier. Also if he has a bomb he can do a lot with it out of shield. TL, unlike Marth has options from the ledge, and can retreat back safely if necessary, so thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Now lets take a look at the dsmash kills I brought up. I simply noted it, I never said it breaks this matchup or even took it into heavy regard. But since you seem to find it so hilarious, let me explain why even a good Marth may fall into it. Unlike the warlock punch which you so sarcastically brought up, TL's dsmash is fast, very fast. I believe the hitbox comes up even faster than his usmash. Now Marth may have the tools to avoid this, but you can't space perfectly 100% of the time, and if your spacing happens to **** up at the wrong time, you could be in for an early death. Lets go over some scenarios here in which you may eat an early dsmash:

-Failed Dolphin Slash attempt, it happens, again nobody is perfect, when you mess up a dolphin slash, you are helpless. TL can simply get in position and dsmash, and you are most likely dead.

-Poorly spaced fair, if this happens he is within range, though you'd have to make another mistake in order for him to be able to dsmash you in most scenarios.

-Grab release, TL doesn't have a special grab release, but as with most other characters, it's a complete guessing game TL releases you from his grab. I don't think I need to go over any more specifics for this situation, as pretty much anything can happen.

And I explained earlier why Marth can actually be shield grabbed quite frequently, I can go over that again if you'd like. And a fthrow past probably 45% does reset the situation. Fthrow>SH back>Pull out bomb>Boomerang/Arrow. Now he has a bomb in hand and he has room to work with, this is the most comfortbale situation for TL, period.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
tried it just now, didnt work xD
If you DI it incorrectly, the slide will be enough to kill as demonstrated in Kizzu's video.

At low percents, the slide will naturally happen but usually is not severe enough to cause a gimp like that unless you're on a slope at Corneria or you're playing against Jiggz on Yoshi's (either)/Corneria/Lylat/Delfino rooftop.

You should post a video about this. I've never seen a decent Marth player have too much trouble getting into TL's barrage (Falco is harder imo). Then again, Santi refuses to upload his set vs. Roy_R at HOBO 11.

So I'm having trouble believing TL is as tough as you make him out to be. I play second the guy and his potential is rather limited, and I feel you see that a lot when you face a character that controls the stage through range and traps like Marth and MK.

Santi

Smash Lord
I haven't got the videos from Kailo who was the one recording at the tourney.

I wasn't the one doing the recording, I was busy holding my controller ^_^

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
If you DI it incorrectly, the slide will be enough to kill as demonstrated in Kizzu's video.

At low percents, the slide will naturally happen but usually is not severe enough to cause a gimp like that unless you're on a slope at Corneria or you're playing against Jiggz on Yoshi's (either)/Corneria/Lylat/Delfino rooftop.

You should post a video about this. I've never seen a decent Marth player have too much trouble getting into TL's barrage (Falco is harder imo). Then again, Santi refuses to upload his set vs. Roy_R at HOBO 11.

So I'm having trouble believing TL is as tough as you make him out to be. I play second the guy and his potential is rather limited, and I feel you see that a lot when you face a character that controls the stage through range and traps like Marth and MK.
I see what you mean. But without any DI, there's pretty much a 50% chance you will die, because there is a 50% chance he guesses correctly on whether or not you will DB stall or not.

And I'll try to get a vid up soon, next time I play my friend I'll save it and send to somebody to upload. But its not so much the projectiles, but zair and shield grab that give marth problems. And I think TL can also very effectively control the stage through range and traps of his own.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I know i said I was going to be lurking here now, but this is important so I'll post.

I think that there is really no chance that Marth will be banned as a result of an MK banning unless a game-breaking technique is found with him. Someone said earlier, he has to fight to win most of is matchups, and this is true. MK might be Marth's only TRUE bad matchup (D3 and Snae don't really count) but most of his matchups are 60:40, so he doesn't really dominate matchups vs. tourney viable characters. At most his matchups against characters you will consistently see in tournaments are 65:35, and that isn't really that bad, since most people agree that it is 70:30 that constitutes a "**** matchup." Marth doesn't have many of these, and that is why he won't be banned if MK is banned.

This isn't replying to anyone in general, just an overall summaization of my opinions on this topic.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Marth is actually rather close to even with most commonly played tourney characters. Probably like a 55:45 average.

TKD

Smash Lord
Metaknight doesn't have any known even matchup. Marth has plenty of those. Pretty much only Yoshi can counterpick against him (Diddy doesn't count, MK can just ban FD every set). If it turns out that Fox doesn't beat MK, I'm all in for the ban.

Marth actually has even matchups...and less than that against Snake, I hear. Marth is completely unbannable.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
What does he have on him? Usmash I guess? I dont think his utilt combo even lasts past 2 hits on MK... IDK what else he might have on him.

Top Bottom