• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

fkacyan

Smash Hero
How is 1920x1080 absurd? Hell, my laptop's screen is that large, AND IT'S A LAPTOP. I think that's what most screens are starting to use anyways

The fact that the thing is as wide as it is is better than that extremely skinny width that Revolution has. The width was what actually drove me away from Revolution into Smash Blue (then Ambigutor and Leekskin later on) that have either half the amount of times larger than Revolution or twice the amount times larger than Revolution.

Although I would agree that the fact that Revolution went away as an option sucks. Personally I couldn't care less whether or not it leaves, but it does kinda seem unfair to others who used that skin more than I did.
Dear lord where do you kids get the money to spend more than 6-700 on a computer

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
No Thio, I did not use the same Div for them. Look harder. Please stop looking at the code from your limited perspective and then claiming that I've messed something up when you aren't even looking at the right area to begin with :\

Should the ads not display for premium? I wasn't made aware of that if so. I'll check with JV.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
No Thio, I did not use the same Div for them. Look harder. Please stop looking at the code from your limited perspective and then claiming that I've messed something up when you aren't even looking at the right area to begin with :\

Should the ads not display for premium? I wasn't made aware of that if so. I'll check with JV.
If the buttons and the main block aren't both using the same div, why does editing the site_container div make the buttons wrap? I won't claim to be somebody who gets paid to write websites but I do know quite a lot about CSS and HTML.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's actually fairly common.

The laptop I have costs like 800, which isn't much higher than that price range. The screen really isn't the most expensive part of a computer anyway.

D

Deleted member

off-topic people.
fact is that a reasonable fraction of people have a 1080P monitor.

back on topic, thio there is no ads block you speak of for me. might be due to adblock though

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It's actually fairly common.

The laptop I have costs like 800, which isn't much higher than that price range. The screen really isn't the most expensive part of a computer anyway.
Depends on what you're getting in a laptop. A 17" screen costs about $100 refurbished and probably closer to $200 new, though when built they probably factor the cost in closer to $150.

My laptop was $700 specifically because I needed a graphics cards and this was the cheapest way to integrate one (Also needed a different battery 8|). Its max res is 1376x768 or something close to that, I never bothered memorizing the exact dimensions.

EDIT: @ Paprika: Really? You don't have an empty gray box outlined at the top of the screen? I run ABP and it's still there for me.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Dear lord where do you kids get the money to spend more than 6-700 on a computer
Christmas presents fool. And man, it's not like my computer is brand new anyways. This thing is about 5 years old now and it's broken down about 2 times already so it sucks anyways :/

And btw, is there any way to change the order of the BBR, MBR, and 64BR on the main page? Doesn't really bother me but it'll be lol to put Bawrl at the bottom and Melee at the top :p

fkacyan

Smash Hero

That gray box is what bugs me, and it appears to be written directly into the image.

GAH how did you get it to not display?

D

Deleted member

I didn't do anything lol.
you have been removing stuff I see?

edit: the yellow bar is from the featured box? you messed up your coding there.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I didn't do anything lol.
you have been removing stuff I see?

edit: the yellow bar is from the featured box? you messed up your coding there.
Just used a collapse, I can hit a hotkey and it uncollapses.

@Zajice: There are no ads, just the box. 8|

D

Deleted member

hm ok. you on chrome because if so you can just use the debugger to remove the box.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
hm ok. you on chrome because if so you can just use the debugger to remove the box.
Nah, I run FF4, until Chrome has a reasonable version of NoScript it's not safe enough to browse any site that has ads (Yes, even if you force them to not display).

D

Deleted member

not safe?
oh well getting completely off topic there.
maybe just add the box to adblock? other than that I can't really help unless MMM would give the id of the ad container

fkacyan

Smash Hero
not safe?
oh well getting completely off topic there.
maybe just add the box to adblock? other than that I can't really help unless MMM would give the id of the ad container
That's the thing, it doesn't appear to be an image, at least as far as I can tell.

I'll find it at some point, but I do other things besides SWF so I can't spend all my time trolling code.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
OK, updating my filter subscriptions got the box to be hidden.

Now I just feel silly. That probably should have been my first order of business.

@MMM: Still not seeing the div separation, if you have a way of editing the main content box to be less than 975px for posts, etc without completely breaking the Boards / Info / Connect, please let me know, though the issue is less pressing now.

EDIT: Hm, nevermind, going to play around with some different code functions.

They are still on the same div, though. 8|

EDIT2: Derp, no wonder it wraps; as the top banner + the top buttons are images and are in site_container, making site_container smaller than the sum of their widths causes it to wrap.

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how the other skins still work, do you think there could be one made that reflects the one we had 30 minutes ago? I actually liked that one. This new stuff is nice and all, but I need a choice!
This,the newskin is too bright for me...Revolution skin FTW :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
~1900 definitely is not that common.
~1600 is generally the "large" size resolution.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
the tiniest of fixes: on the classic blue homepage, uncollapsing the Brawl General section shows me two lines of subforums: the Workshop Developers' Corner and MLG on the first line, with the regular Smash Workshop on the second, under the WDC. Is this intentionaL? I get the feeling that all three should be on the same line. Running a 1366x768 resolution btw

If it is intentional, is there any way to change the order the forums are in on forum jump? At this point MLG is between the two workshop subforums, which makes no sense

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Anyone running a computer that's > $1k and made within the last 2.5 years w/o portability in mind will have a 1080p screen. If this isn't true for your particular machine, it's either because you made a tradeoff for something else (i.e. better cpu or gpu), or you bought some crappy over-priced brand. 1080p monitors can be had easily under $150 these days, and a solid budget gaming machine can cost under $800, totaling less than $1k.

That being said, I would have to imagine the number of ppl using 1080p monitors is quite large among the gaming community, given that gamers are the most likely people to put money into a computer.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Anyone running a computer that's > $1k and made within the last 2.5 years w/o portability in mind will have a 1080p screen. If this isn't true for your particular machine, it's either because you made a tradeoff for something else (i.e. better cpu or gpu), or you bought some crappy over-priced brand. 1080p monitors can be had easily under $150 these days, and a solid budget gaming machine can cost under $800, totaling less than $1k.

That being said, I would have to imagine the number of ppl using 1080p monitors is quite large among the gaming community, given that gamers are the most likely people to put money into a computer.

You think the majority of Smashers are PC gamers?

you're high.

Anyways, the true "budget" gaming machine is a cheap-*** laptop with a 256mb graphics card you got when you went to college two years ago, aka mine.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey, my laptop's a 3-year-old Dell with a 256MB graphics card and 15.4" screen and it supports 1920x1200. Get at me.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Ankoku I know plenty of people who feel exactly like what LordHelmet mentioned.
Idk, I thought Revolution was just fine; I found that it was really easy to get used to.

I don't really get why Revolution was taken away, while the other ones stayed. I just figured that the other ones (imo much worse) would be removed first (had almost forgotten that we had alternate skins). Was Revolution the only one that had broken buttons?

iRJi

Smash Champion
Bionic, can you hit me up on AIM please? I need to talk to you about something.

RJRawrr = AIM.

Thanks in advance.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
It's always a damn shame when a lot of talented people spend a lot of time trying to improve something. And I guess the result is successful towards the aims of the Smash franchise, since I feel the same way about the new smashboards skin as I did with Brawl: total let-down intended on being awesome for the users. I don't see any area of improvement, in fact the only things that are good about it are the things that weren't changed. I realize this sucks, but I don't understand why any of the changes were made. What was improved / fixed? I only see a "dumbing-down" of the boards, larger icons, fruitier symbols, brighter colors. Unfortunately my critique is rather worthless, since my only suggestion is undo everything that was done. I honestly don't see a single improvement. No offense to those who obviously spent a lot of quality effort on it, but :thumbsdown:

That said, if most people like it, then it's a good update.

Purple

Hi guys!
Phanna you're too old for your opinion to matter.

This site is E for Kids!

:b:

I mean, with everyone complaining, it would be best to have a revolution skin,which shouldn't be hard considering the fact that well.. it was just there I'd assume and there's a copy of it that's just how accessible to public.

But then why even make vibrant if no one's going to use it? ;/

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ok, I am home now. I am going to write up what I personally think of it. It's long, and I have like 100 suggestions. I am making a pre announcement for it so people don't run it over lol.

Purple

Hi guys!
How is lowering the maturity level alienating older users? It limits them, but doesn't alienate them.

BAD ANALOGY TIME!

actually **** the analogy.

The site is based for the Smash Community, however on a even deeper scale, is based towards children around the age of 13. Because of this, we have to abide by rules that allows this site to be safely browsed by 13 year old smash members.

This doesn't alienate older users at all, all it does is limit them.

So while you guys might think the new site is dumb, it's large buttons do help younger members, who are less inclined to actually figure out things on their own, know where to find important things.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If that's the case, we should play.

Do you play on Janryuumon or Tenhou?
I've only played on a few sites online (Neither of those) and in-person in the rare event somebody brings their set to the anime club, which I then have to know about in advance because the anime club at my university is a bunch of moe***s like the people in the Anime thread down in Media Metro.

We also need another two people for it, though.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ok. So here it is.

Overall the concept was a good idea. You have a nice basic layout where everything is displayed vividly and clearly. The general layout is clean cut, with good a good typeface for the standard, as well as good colors to match (in most places). I find the best way to explain what went wrong, what went right, and what to improve is to start from the top, and work my way to the bottom.

1) The ratio of the main logo to the site is not proportionate. I know in majority cases you would want to put the logo as the biggest thing, with it standing out the most, but even the logo size is too big. My personal opinion, you could have made the logo even better just by putting the smashboards name under the logo icon, and just having the icon sit over the name.

Simply put, it would be in your best interest to shrink down the logo in size too if you want to keep it justified left on the page. Having the logo big is one thing, but having it take up half the banner of the header is another. It looks pretty lazy imo.

2) There is quite a bit of redundancy going on with some icons. Going back to the logo, it is a universal method to have the logo be one of the standard home buttons (Rollovers) to take you back the main page, but not only do you have 2 ways to get back to the main page (Which by all means isn't bad) you put them on the same line (Which, in this case is bad) AND you distorted the picture in it (The d3 picture for the Boards button is not in ratio. You have it squeezed in, and the icon in it's self looks distorted.

Also, I wouldn't call it "Boards" I would call it "Main page" or "Home". To call it "boards" is silly because the whole site is the boards. All the other sections are sub sections.

3) I personally do not mind that you tried to add more flavor with colors. In fact, I commend you for the effort. However, adding more then 4 colors and trying to get a lively feel, while still maintaining professional appearance (Or even a kids appearance) mainly never works, especially if you are using the extra colors for icon and buttons.

Starting from the top, I love the fact that you chose a white header. It gives the eyes an immediate rest from the blocks of gray. (For everyone who does not get what I am trying to get at here, when you bunch colors together for an extended period of time, your eyes merges objects together that are close or similar to the same colors. Because of this, it can actually make reading things just a tad bit harder because your mind merges things together. One way of breaking that from happening is to put a color that is almost opposite from the colors used, AKA: A rest point or negative space.)

The colors of the action buttons (AKA: Reply, Quote, etc) are all pretty bad. It's not just size, but the colors make them look like it jumped out of Barney. My real issue with the buttons is that they are floating in the corner instead of having any means of it "needs" to be there. My suggestion is that instead of putting them floating, justify them left of the box, and having them touch each other with at least a 2px boarder around each button. Give it a roll over of a lighter gray to signify that you are highlighting it. That would give it more meaning then just fun colors floating trying to sing Sesame Street songs.

4) I have a good eye for detail, as you may have known by this point. I am going to capitalize on that by pointing out that you gave a glowing effect to all names that give posts. I personally do not have that much of an issue with that glowing effect in that scenario, as it gives a more live feel to the page. My real concern is the glowing effect for all major titles and subforum names. You gave it too much glow, or the orange accent on the name does not work with the glowing effect. If you really want to differentiate the main forums and subforum names, decrease the glow effect but use a different font. That way it stays with the theme, and it doesn't look like a 10 year old who just knew how to use a glowing effect threw it together. Btw, By using a different font, you create the mindset of "if its in that font, its a major thing"

5) The one thing that I liked is that you took the original gray and went up a few shades. That is pretty impressive. You gave it almost the same feel, but made the boards look a bit happier rather then a "gloomy dark corner". Keep the gray, and grats on that choice.

6) I like the idea of having a section dedicated to the most important things on top. (AKA: The featured topics section) How ever, I feel you could have gone a bit further with that idea. For the main page, you could have made a 6 column grid with sections branching off. I don't like to compare sites often, but the way the MLG site is set up for the main page is what I am suggesting in this little section. If its too much, then don't do it, but I like this section overall and I think you should keep it. Even the outline of dark orange was a smart choice as it stands out enough, but at the same time still fits into the theme.

7) The Blue user bar for shortcuts is underused. You could fit so much more on it, and I feel you should. My MAIN issue here is that you are not dividing the sections of the text, and because of that it looks like its all unified. Remember what I said about when you clump things of similar value together, it gets lost and makes it harder to navigate earlier? This applies here. The main goal of a navigation bar is to navigate your user, not just to the location, but in the fastest way possible. If I have to sit there and figure out where the button ends, then its no good. Separate them please.

I could go on and on, but yea, I think this is a good start for a critique. If you really want me to, I could just open up Illustrator or Photoshop and show picture examples of what I am talking about as well. I won't do it unless you ask though, as that is extra work on my part. Replay back to then with extra thoughts, and etc's. Questions are nice too I guess.

Edit: I will repost this if it gets ran over. I hate wasting time xD.

Top Bottom