• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bill by any other name would smell as sweet - Nov 14/15 - Melee, Brawl, Brawl+

DJRome

Smash Hero
i don't play brawl, but it seems kind of gay that if a person mains someone and doesn't dabble much in other chars, they are immediately knocked down many pegs unnecessarily. then again. . . i can see the mk ban side too as forcing people to use other chars but hey. . .

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i can see the mk ban side too as forcing people to use other chars but hey. . .
there's not much of a reason to pick an alt to deal with mk
unless your character is one of the few who are truly ****ed by him
if you pick somebody new who does better against mk
you have to learn alot of new matchups
including that new characters bad matchups
for example if you choose ic's to deal with mk's
you now have to worry about snake's
cause remember, people can counterpick your character too

in addition, you're not really guaranteed a win or that you'll even do better versus mk
as this is a new character you've learned and mk doesn't have a truly bad matchup

it's much more troublesome in my mind to deal with somebody who has an alt mk as good as their main
as it makes counterpicking a pain in the ***

DJRome

Smash Hero
i feel like the same thing w/sheik/fox in melee. so there's 1 char that gives you a less than even matchup. only that char main has the slightest advantage and the others are still sol for that same edge. idk, it seems a bit extreme, but i cannot say without such exp.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i personally don't see how

isn't fox's worst matchup 50/50? (falco)

same with mk, except he has ICs, Falco, and (arguable here) Snake

stingers

Smash Obsessed
you'll notice more people in melee overall just play top/high tier characters...i mean look at our PRs. thats why you'll see lots of "fox isn't THAT dominant"

whereas in brawl its different...I mean i play ROB, we have Mekos with Lucas, Rag with DK, duo with fox...

at the beginning of melee, sheik was considered unstoppable...now we know better. but because all the old melee vets think they should be able to master brawl instantly because they've already "mastered" melee, they're declaring things as true without giving the metagame time to age...

DJRome

Smash Hero
tell me, brawlers, is it true that brawl allows for more room for error both in decision-making and tech skill?

Foxy

Smash Master
just have anyone who wants to use MK in the tournament be restricted to him, and anyone else can't counterpick with him as an alt.

that way MK doesn't gay up the whole counterpick system.

you either get to use MK or you get to use anyone in the cast but MK.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
brawl doesn't really have much tech skill lol...so yeah def. you can't die from messing up an airdodge (well,at least not nearly as much as in melee) or l cancel lol

decision-making, yeah but not by as huge a margin as most people think...the fact that there aren't many true combos just means people focus more on baiting airdodges and getting juggles and frame traps...which is realllllllllly annoying mental-wise...because you know that somehow you could've gotten out of that...unlike those true combos that rely on you trying to DI but knowing that if the other player doesnt mess up you're ****ed no matter what

so, eventually brawl pr's will be all: mk's, and the characters who go close to 50/50 with him
just like all competitive fighters, lol. there will be those prodigies that stand out (like boss with luigi or reflex with pt, unless they end up switching too...) but yeah that's how it'll look...

theAPExp

Smash Ace
well it's not just specific to smash

all pr's or tier lists
will revolve around the best or most played character

lol at stingers edit
yeah i was just stating obvious

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
Mind pointing out how I'm wrong? Flamingo would definitely still be good, but he probably would be somewhat worse. He'd lose in different matchups.

You guys probably won't place as high without MK. That's unfortunate for you. As I said earlier, perhaps you placed as well as you did previously because of MK. Personally, I don't mind fighting against MK, but playing MK does give an advantage. It seems really hard to deny that to me.
Maybe we win because we have played as a team since day one and know our comp?

Yeah call it carried by MK.

Lets ban warrio and see how you do vs me.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
YAY THIS IS SILLY

I AM GONNA HAVE FUN AT BILLFEST C:

i'm totally just going to watch this from afar because I'd lose to ANY of you that play, be it MK or not.

heyyyyyy, i might need a Melee team mate. Anyone? C: Anyone at all?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think we should ban everyone but Ganondorf, that way we don't have to worry about bad MU's :D

lord karn

Smash Master

I'm pretty sure I've beaten you in tourney with other characters in the past. . . including MK. Either way, this is not really pertinent to the argument.

I'm not saying we lost to you in teams because you were carried by MK. We lost because Bill has a ridiculous mental block against MK. It's probably true that if he didn't have such a block he probably would have never got the idea to ban MK. However, I still think banning MK is the best ruleset for brawl, even if he came to that idea in a bad way.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord

You got carried by mk. Everyone who plays him gets carried by him to a certain extent, its the nature of the character and theres no denying it.

Alex would still beat you.

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure I've beaten you in tourney with other characters in the past. . . including MK. Either way, this is not really pertinent to the argument.

I'm not saying we lost to you in teams because you were carried by MK. We lost because Bill has a ridiculous mental block against MK. It's probably true that if he didn't have such a block he probably would have never got the idea to ban MK. However, I still think banning MK is the best ruleset for brawl, even if he came to that idea in a bad way.
And with this post my point is made. At least you admit why he banned MK even if he wont. And you beat me with MK and Warrio (Hard 8:2 Counter) in the last 2 tourneys.

Ty for admitting he banned MK because he personally hates MK. I'll see what I can do about picking up other toons that will destroy due to the fact there is no MK. You will soon see that even with MK not in the cast there are other broken toons.

You got carried by mk. Everyone who plays him gets carried by him to a certain extent, its the nature of the character and theres no denying it.

Alex would still beat you.
That remains to be seen as he beat me with MK and Warrio and I havn't exactly seen you beat him in the last month or so. He just hard counterpicks.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Of course my own hang-ups brought me to my decision but that is beside the point. He is a ban-worthy character irregardless of my ability to beat him and therefore he deserves the ban..... and wario doesn't hard counter Olimar, you just don't know the match.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
The community as a whole voted to keep him. You are not better than everyone else. This tourney should not effect the PR's due to the fact it doesn't follow established tourney rule sets
I just wanted to pop in here, and say that the actual community voted to ban him. 3 times in a row. The circle of elitist liliputians afraid of social backlash from money makers were the ones who ignored the polls they created, and buckled.

/flee.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I just wanted to pop in here, and say that the actual community voted to ban him. 3 times in a row. The circle of elitist liliputians afraid of social backlash from money makers were the ones who ignored the polls they created, and buckled.

/flee.
**** liliputians.

He's right though. The vote ended last time about 60-40 for the ban.

THO

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem here is that the ban is messing up peoples mains and such.

I recommend a grandfather clause like they did to keep blacks from voting after the civil war.
It allowed men to register to vote only if they could have voted in 1867 (before African Americans were allowed to vote in the South) or descended from an 1867 voter (impossible for blacks).

If people played metaknight before the ban date then they should still be able to play him, but no players who didn't main him before can't pick him up now.

This way we can keep ignoring the problems with the game and continue arguing about money.

Mullins

Smash Apprentice
Since last billfest the main HD TV seemed to lag out people on brawl/melee I will see if I can maintain a 2D fighter set up (BlazBlue, SF4, Marvel vs Capcom 2, GuiltyGear etc.). I think I will also maintain a cooler at the couch as well for maximum chillage.

THO

Smash Apprentice
Just trying to keep the racism theme going, with a twist!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
He is banned in doubles because we believe his attributes still give reason for him to be banned.
This is beside the point. He is being banned for his attributes.
He is getting banned because he is a character which warrants a ban, read the thread and if you still disagree than in my opinion you're wrong.
Obviously several of us disagree about the level of OP'ness of MK. However it doesn't really matter, we believe a ban is warranted and so it will happen. I believe there is little to discuss.
Like I said this doesn't have to do with my problem with mk this has to do with the character being warranting of a ban.
This has to be the most convincing argument I've ever seen.

lol brawl lol

Top Bottom