• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bill by any other name would smell as sweet - Nov 14/15 - Melee, Brawl, Brawl+

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
No its not and its not, because I don't feel it necessary to explain. It's my decision and I don't have to explain myself especially on a point like this.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
No its not and its not, because I don't feel it necessary to explain. It's my decision and I don't have to explain myself especially on a point like this.
All the people *****ing and complaining will still show up—they always do.

The ban will make this more interesting—I'll put money on it mixing up the traditional top eight.

null55

Smash Master
BEHR quit typing badly to put on this uncaring mejicano front. God****.

Anyway, I'll pay double of Melee is on Sat. (Not really, but suuuurrrslly Bill.)

EDIT: $Mike (and possibly Eddie) can't come if it's on Sunday. I need to see dem.

Super EDIT: Chipotle is soooooooo gooood.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
i understand the fact that you dont have to explain yourself and i understand and accept the fact that you and karn organize the tournament and therefore can run whatever rule-set you want...

i understand the fact the you are banning metaknight because of his attributes which i agree give him a distinct advantage is singles. he also has no bad matchups in singles.

you said that you and Karn feel his attributes, even in doubles, warrant a ban...

this is what i dont understand...

if you dont feel it necessary to explain maybe karn will?

lord karn

Smash Master
Any team with MK is better than any team without him, except maybe MK/crappy character that is already unviable. In the same sense as in singles he has no bad matchups in teams and is the only one. catfish.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
thanks for explaining...

i disagree entirely but alas...

mk is a good partner...but i would say any team with a game and watch is better than any team with mk...

even wario is better in teams than mk, imo

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I now have another beautiful quote for my signature...

i wonder

how many

lines I

need for

it to

show up

will this

be good?

if i

just keep

trying more

and more

and more

and more

and more

and more

lines of

text it

will show up

nevermind

i give up

enjoy this

wall of

text

lord karn

Smash Master
Yeah, I definitely think MK is better than Wario and G&W in teams. Teams tier list to me is:

MK/Snake
MK/MK
MK/Wario
MK/G&W

then I dunno

MK/MK is probably better than MK/Snake but MK/Snake is probably easier and more practical.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
karn have you ever played a team with a good wario or game and watch in them?

i'm going to go ahead and assume no (because it makes things easier), and since neither of us have (o.o) we should kind of just follow the collective opinion that mk is definitely not the best in doubles. just because you lose to MKs in doubles more then warios and gaws doesn't mean mk is better @.@

lord karn

Smash Master
I mean I play Wario in doubles and I've watched a lot of videos. I always thought it was assumed that MK was the best in doubles? Who really thinks he's not? @_@

stingers

Smash Obsessed
took awhile to find it (why do they use one thread for every HOBO) but:

Teams. Ive decided that even though metaknight fills the top spots in teams rankings, he is not broken there. I feel(and alot fo others) that Wario/GW is better than him in teams so i will allow him in teams at my regular hobo's.
is that good enough? @.@

lord karn

Smash Master
I still think he's the best in teams, but maybe he's not bannable there. Either way, I doubt this will convince Bill. I don't really have an opinion on doubles as of now.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
I lose harder to a team WITH MK than a team WITHOUT him. I fail to see the argument that he's not broken in teams - he's the exact same character with more people on screen. My hardest tourney ****** came from a MK/Oli team that wasn't Karn and Bill.

More importantly, whether he's banned or not, I as a fellow (maybe former? Hope not) TO commend Bill and Karn on their decision and by standing by it instead of caving in. I understand you MK players are butthurt because you can't play as him (maybe minus stongers because you seem alright with the decision and can pick someone else up), but seriously, when you run your own tourney, make your own rules. Until then, quit *****ing.

I once ran a Melee tourney, for ****s and giggles, that had random item sets turned on. Mario themed, Zelda themed, melee-only items, etc. EVERYONE COMPLAINED ABOUT IT. But as a tournament organizer, no one realized I MAKE THE RULES. Of course it wouldn't count toward PR, hell, only local players showed up, but as a player, respect the TO's rule set, or don't go. THE END.

lord karn

Smash Master
About whether or not he should be banned in doubles. I still think he's the best in doubles, though, and easily as well.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
While i can see the logic for saying wario/gdubs are better i think all the top placing teams still mostly include MK.

Are there any teams winning tournaments w/o MK?

Foxy

Smash Master
I think the problem here is that the ban is messing up peoples mains and such.

I recommend a grandfather clause like they did to keep blacks from voting after the civil war.
It allowed men to register to vote only if they could have voted in 1867 (before African Americans were allowed to vote in the South) or descended from an 1867 voter (impossible for blacks).

If people played metaknight before the ban date then they should still be able to play him, but no players who didn't main him before can't pick him up now.

This way we can keep ignoring the problems with the game and continue arguing about money.
Obviously

I think this is a good idea

Foxy

Smash Master
arguing about melee is more technical than arguing about brawl

I think Karn is a woman, he has all the attributes, and it's my decision and I don't feel that I have to explain myself.

lol brawl lol

theAPExp

Smash Ace
imo
insert wall of text...

mk isn't or doesn't seem to be as broken in teams
because it limits his ability to play defensively, reactively, or produce the frame traps and squeezes he is extremely good at in singles

i just believe that his key attributes that makes him the best in singles,
are limited because of the basic fundamentals in teams

his near unpublishable recovery is a lot easier to deal with having to worry about 2 opponents
it's much harder to play safe and space opponents in team, from less room to space, and playing too defensively creates 2v1 openings on his partner
mk offensively uses a lot of space, it's much more difficult for him to create his dmg dealing combo's when having to travel through other people. he has to rely on partner follow ups for the most part like the rest of the cast.
the main argument here is that the playstyles that have traditionally made mk overpowered in some eyes, heavy defensive camping and planking, are not as effective in teams.

however, he still has incredible value and uniqueness in teams teams though
probably the best feature of mk in teams is that he can create space and control the field extremely well with moves like mach tornado.
he has the ability to follow up or finish off opponents in extreme places that for the most part are uniquely safe to mk, as mk can get to any part of the screen and back fairly reliably.
he is also one of the few characters that are extremely difficult to produce 2v1's upon. although due to the nature of brawl in itself, it is difficult to produce 2v1's in general, but by comparison mk is one of the harder ones to 2v1.

so do not misunderstand my initial comments, as he is very good in teams
and people can argue him to still be the best in doubles successfully
i don't mean to state that he is worse as a character in teams
i'm saying that some of his "ban worthy" features in singles are dulled because of the way team fundamentals.
whether they are dulled enough to warrant a ban or unban is up to the TO

just giving my $.02

DJRome

Smash Hero
The turnout will decide it, i think. if people don't come because of mk ban, im sure bill would reconsider the ban

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
So not even my characters' worst match up >_<

Considering that I got roflstomped by a Lucas, I don't find myself in any place to be able to complain about this decision.

I should be able to make this, probably giving rides to the NC State crew again.

<Warning: Incoming Opinion>

It's his tournament, why are we heckling him? If you think it's truly as bad of a decision as some make it sound, then don't participate in that part of it >_<. The only one that I know personally who is largely affected by this is Flamy, and he's already working pretty hard to get his secondaries down.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
Since last billfest the main HD TV seemed to lag out people on brawl/melee I will see if I can maintain a 2D fighter set up (BlazBlue, SF4, Marvel vs Capcom 2, GuiltyGear etc.). I think I will also maintain a cooler at the couch as well for maximum chillage.
I'm down for the maximum chillage.

That's probably where I'm going to be 95% of the time that I'm not in a match.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Looks like there's trouble in broradise again..........

Our usual suspect, the infamous MK, is once again the perpetrator.

His crime: Disturbing the peace

Mr. Knight, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of (bro) law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.

Ladies and gentlemen, the fate of this citizen really should eventually be decided on for good. Keeping him in legal limbo is only damaging competitive smash everywhere. He has the right to a speedy and public trial.

Top Bottom