• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bing

Smash Master
I wouldn't have it any other way. I learn WAY more from when someone says "This is why I four-stocked you" than when someone says "that was a nice combo."
I completely agree with this. However that wasnt exactly what I was getting at when I said what I said lol.

Theres a difference between 'This is why I 4 stocked you" and "You suck". Anyways Im over it. Its **** like this that made me stop posting on here lol. But I brought this upon myself lol. My bad guys. <3

sauc3

Smash Lord
Its **** like this that made me stop posting on here lol.
u stopped posting? o.O

EDIT: not sure if sarcastic advice or real advice is more effective at this point... just get better if you want to

also, sweet kyle, and ye i have an hd webcam with built in mic, its awesome, only thing is i have a desktop, so if someone could supply a lappy, then i could just bring my recording equipment. And what time is ok for us to come? i work (til 2) so we won't be there early or anything.

idea

Smash Master
also, sweet kyle, and ye i have an hd webcam with built in mic, its awesome, only thing is i have a desktop, so if someone could supply a lappy, then i could just bring my recording equipment. And what time is ok for us to come? i work (til 2) so we won't be there early or anything.
sure, you can use my laptop.

and uhh...i guess pretty much anytime on friday. i usually have people over starting at 2 anyway. just text me when you're coming over

Kyle, that's not true. I compliment people all the time. Even at times when it isn't warranted

:phone:
lol

Bing

Smash Master
u stopped posting? o.O

EDIT: not sure if sarcastic advice or real advice is more effective at this point... just get better if you want to
I did actually, I've posted here just in this conversation, maybe a handful times in a few other threads for a total of about 20 posts. Considering I was doing about 50 a day for like 2 months, this is a huge drop lol
But yes, Im just going with a "**** it, get better and ignore others"
Kyle, that's not true. I compliment people all the time. Even at times when it isn't warranted

This is true, I love Ryan's lies. Like when he said "not bad" after my pools matches at Impulse.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
All of you need to stop *****ing and stop being awful.

You want no practice? Go live in Kingston for 2 years, play once every month or 2 at AnC and maybe play Tect for like 1-2 hours worth of time once a month as well cause there's literally no one there, especially in the summer. Without calling out anyone, I have no sympathy for you people that still can't beat me at least, or be competitive with anyone noticeable after 2 years of you playing. How do I get 3rd at a local? If you play continuously at a smashfest like once a week on the weekends you probably logged more playing time in that month then I did the first year I was in Kingston.

David was able to be competitive with Quebec at a time where like PKM was taking sets in pools from Chu, where they beat good Americans, etc. and take games/sets from good American players within like a year of the first time I went to his house (I think he started playing like 2-3 months before I did that). In real time it was less than a year of David maining Sheik because he didn't start that til like halfway through summer (less than a year for TGMTSBCO or whatever the hell it was called)

Who do you think like our crew played to get better? Imadh lived in the middle of nowhere and got good by playing like Adnan - and the Scarborough crew basically played each other when we all sucked (Ryan, Bernard, Me, David, Ambrose, etc). Yeah we traveled to the states and Quebec but there's nothing that prevents you from doing this. Even without that, you have the luxury of having like a top 5 player in the world + 2-3 more elite level players at your disposal to play and learn from. When we started there was no M2K level player we could go play every weekend extensively. The same applies for Vwins, Bam and the rest of Quebec (except Kage I guess). Vwins and Bam got better by playing each other extensively when they both sucked.

Most importantly, the rate that everyone got good at was so much better because we just played and learned for ourselves instead of waiting for someone to do everything for us because we wanted to; and judging from all the *****ing so do all of you. Or at least you want the results.

Stop *****ing about how awful you are or how good you should be and go play. There's no cheap fix or gimmick to this. You get better by playing. There's no reason your DI should be as bad now as it was 2 years ago but it is.

sauc3

Smash Lord

You want no practice? Go live in Kingston for 2 years, play once every month or 2 at AnC and maybe play Tect for like 1-2 hours worth of time once a month as well cause there's literally no one there, especially in the summer. Without calling out anyone, I have no sympathy for you people that still can't beat me at least, or be competitive with anyone noticeable after 2 years of you playing. How do I get 3rd at a local? If you play continuously at a smashfest like once a week on the weekends you probably logged more playing time in that month then I did the first year I was in Kingston.

David was able to be competitive with Quebec at a time where like PKM was taking sets in pools from Chu, where they beat good Americans, etc. and take games/sets from good American players within like a year of the first time I went to his house (I think he started playing like 2-3 months before I did that). In real time it was less than a year of David maining Sheik because he didn't start that til like halfway through summer (less than a year for TGMTSBCO or whatever the hell it was called)

Who do you think like our crew played to get better? Imadh lived in the middle of nowhere and got good by playing like Adnan - and the Scarborough crew basically played each other when we all sucked (Ryan, Bernard, Me, David, Ambrose, etc). Yeah we traveled to the states and Quebec but there's nothing that prevents you from doing this. Even without that, you have the luxury of having like a top 5 player in the world + 2-3 more elite level players at your disposal to play and learn from. When we started there was no M2K level player we could go play every weekend extensively. The same applies for Vwins, Bam and the rest of Quebec (except Kage I guess). Vwins and Bam got better by playing each other extensively when they both sucked.

Most importantly, the rate that everyone got good at was so much better because we just played and learned for ourselves instead of waiting for someone to do everything for us because we wanted to; and judging from all the *****ing so do all of you. Or at least you want the results.

Stop *****ing about how awful you are or how good you should be and go play. There's no cheap fix or gimmick to this. You get better by playing. There's no reason your DI should be as bad now as it was 2 years ago but it is.
i had jpobs

Bing

Smash Master
lol Mike going in.

He's right though, for the most part atleast.

Edit: And again, I said what I wanted to say Im moving. I think I know why Im bad, I know what I want to do. Im done talking to people who are just going to be supremely negative. Im just going to play the game, get better, keep my mouth shut and hopefully make a few friends along the way.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Just for clarification, I do want to improve and know I must if I wish to see results, but if I perform poorly, I understand it is my fault because WoW took over my life and I never practice anymore.

I may as well be branded "inactive" until I start actually attending tournaments again.

Good post, by the way. And when I said "no matter what you do.. I don't think it makes a difference" I was only talking about the elite 4. [Now 5] You know, players hardly anyone else beats too. Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord

Aww man, I tried so hard to lurk, but this comment made me ***. So much ***, there's blood. So ****ing true it hurts. I've said so much about this topic in past years and I'm not surprised it's resurfaced.

If you suck, it's probably because of one/or more reasons:

1. Don't practice enough/doing it wrong
2. Aim so low and are too busy feeling good that you beat Camilo's Sheik while he was making a burrito
3. Too busy QQing why you aren't good at this game because you've practiced shine-upsmash for 3 hours and got it and now you should be amazing at this game

And then basically what Mike said again. All of you need to embrace the hate.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
What was the censored word in first two sentences?

Glad this was brought up though, it puts some things into perspective. Hopefully it will be taken to heart and not forgotten in the next post :p

sauc3

Smash Lord
2. Aim so low and are too busy feeling good that you beat Camilo's Sheik while he was making a burrito
this is one of the funniest things i've read in a long time lmao.
pretty much sums up my first 3 years of smash

EDIT: I'm still laughing thinking about it lol

Europhoria

Smash Lord
WTB Two player versus Two player team stock matches in Super Smash Brothers Melee at this event please. Stop not entering because "you'll lose to Ryan and Bernard anyways" Do you think you'll beat them in singles cause Ryan will illusion off the stage 8 times in a row in the set? >_>

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
I always want to do teams... Its fun even if you lose as long as you try.

There's a lot better chance that I'd be able to come (with friends) to the 15th than the 8th but if A & C is booked that day guess there's not much choice

Cyan_

Smash Lord
maybe $10 per team entry instead of $20 might make more people join? idk

Engo

Smash Ace
8 is a no go for me so that's my input lol. I'm gonna ask someone for the 10 bucks they owe me and if I get them ill join doubles otherwise I can't cause I'm broke and don't get paid till a couple days after the tourney ;p

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
The problem with teams isn't that we'll lose. It's that there's no enough time/people for pools and the good:bad player ratio is much worse. People at my level would probably win one set max in round 1 losers, and no one really wants to enter a tournament to play 2-3 sets.

I would play teams friendlies or seriouslies, though.

BlackGold, I know that was intentional but you're just giving us more reason to call you the new Bing :p

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who enjoys David's constructive criticism? lol

I prefer being told I totally screwed something up as opposed to somebody saying "nicely done" when I pull off a generic combo. Being told that I'm bad at a certain thing really makes me think about what I can do to get better at it.

I think one mindset problem that a lot of people have is that they don't realize that when you play friendlies, you're not playing to win, you're playing for the learning experience. If I'm playing friendlies against David/Ryan/Camilo I don't get excited if i somehow manage to get them down to the last stock/take a match off of them, because I know that it's just one match and they either suicided or weren't trying their hardest. I feel more proud of myself if I actually lost a match to them badly but managed to pull off a new combo or learn a better spacing/timing/edgeguarding technique against their playstyle that I normally wouldn't do due to bad habits

I'm not trying to say I have the greatest mindset or that I practice really hard (I'll admit I'm a huge slacker and only really practice at each A and C monthly) but I think newer players need to take more out of each set they play other than just whether they won or lost.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
What was the censored word in first two sentences?

Glad this was brought up though, it puts some things into perspective. Hopefully it will be taken to heart and not forgotten in the next post :p
cum

or sperm.

I better not get infracted for this LOL what a dumb word to censor.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Ah, alright, Ryan and I had to brainstorm in order to figure out what it was... we didn't figure that out though, lol.

On that note: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/309030_10151019471463386_73062734_n.jpg

Also, I agree with you Hammertime, I love being ***** by David for hours on end while Ryan sleeps behind us. The amount of spacing and pressure he exerts within that time period is astounding. Plus, he teaches me new moves all the time, ones that I can utilize on my own with others if I have the confidence to ask politely.

Oh right... Smash.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
mike you dumped me in dubs </3

also, i feel like people are taking too many opportunities for granted. they only even marginally try to learn off people who are top tier like the top 4/5 around here i.e. ryan/david/imadh/camillo but they never take the opportunity to learn off other players it seems

edit: nvmvmvmvm....

Engo

Smash Ace
It's hard to explain because it's something intangible. It's a symbol, something the he represents more than the person.

edit:Censors can be fun sometimes they let your imagination go wild like in that post Europhoria made for example

Top Bottom