• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
It's hard to explain because it's something intangible. It's a symbol, something the he represents more than the person.

edit:Censors can be fun sometimes they let your imagination go wild like in that post Europhoria made for example
Hard =/= Impossible

Do your best :D

sauc3

Smash Lord
its more so the style and not the rank that helps me learn,

Playing each of the top 5 helps out different things when i play, david forces me to be really consistent with my hits and punish hard when i get the opportunity. ryan forces me to adjust my pressure constantly and find new ways of hitting him, since he always seems to have an answer for everything. vs bernard, i always try and work on my defensive game, and he's constantly running at you and manipulating your di/escapes, camilo forces you have perfect tech skill and play and react really fast, imadh is amazing at punishing bad habits, and forces me to attempt to keep track of what he's punishing (tho im certain im only aware of like, 10% of why he's hitting me for)

These are just massive generalizations, obviously they all have really strong, well rounded playstyles, but i notice these things as specific strengths. Also in no way am I doing the things i listed above effectively, otherwise i'd be pretty ****in good by now.

1 consistency between them all (and a big reason why i think there is such a divide in skill in our community) is that i never get away with mistakes against the top 5, yet other players around my skill seem to miss out of on opportunities where i feel i should be getting ****ed up for doing something stupid/wrong.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqT0iFZifgw amazing loop, been listening for hours

Engo

Smash Ace

1 consistency between them all (and a big reason why i think there is such a divide in skill in our community) is that i never get away with mistakes against the top 5, yet other players around my skill seem to miss out of on opportunities where i feel i should be getting ****ed up for doing something stupid/wrong.
Having some difficulty understanding that last sentence. Do you mean that players your level don't punish you like they do therefore no one improves/doesn't improve as fast? That's kind of what I understood. Just clarifying because it was an interesting post.

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so I'd just like to clarify a few things. I feel this conversation branched from my... anger? and that its getting away from what I was saying.

Constructive criticism is fine, I enjoy being told what I'm doing wrong, I don't care if you tear apart everything I did in a set. It gives me something to work with. What I was referring to was simply being told "You'll never go anywhere in smash" and things like that.

I agree with what Kurtis said in that with the top players in Toronto, you can take something different away from each. Like I RARELY get to play David,and when I do its either his Fox or Peach. Now what I can take away from David in these games are that I need to improve on my consistency with my tech skill, one full hop nair instead of a SHFFL'd nair and there goes a stock. Also 90% of Fox players try to be super technical. David just does everything smart.So instead of doing some crazy technical thunders combo or something, he just grabs, up-throws and uairs the stock. Its great because its such a change it requires a change in my own playstyle.

Ryan and Camilo I find are very similar. Both use Similar combos and have similar playstyles. I find that they punish mistakes more so then anyone else. And as a player still improving in many areas including tech skill, this makes for some awesome combos... for them. Also I like playing against these two because how they play is where i'd like to get to one day.

I like playing Kyle because he just outright says what I'm doing wrong/ what I should be doing. He also consistently uses both Jiggs and Falco meaning I have to change up my battle plan on the fly. Also I find that in friendlies I can "hang" in the match a little longer, so I get better experience out of it in some aspects that is.

Anyways Im bored of writing, these are just my thoughts on playing these guys, havent really got to play Imadh enough to write anything. :p

Also I dont really know why I wrote this... kind of bored at work...

idea

Smash Master
lol you make it sound so harsh :p i just tend to give advice to people automatically when they've specifically asked for it in the past. sometimes i do the same thing with engo for the same reason.

sauc3

Smash Lord
bing from the 2 (relatively recent) times i've played you the best analysis i can make is that you never seem to know what is going to happen, and it gets you killed because you're reacting to the unpredictable.

Having some difficulty understanding that last sentence. Do you mean that players your level don't punish you like they do therefore no one improves/doesn't improve as fast? That's kind of what I understood. Just clarifying because it was an interesting post.
more or less, i get reminded a lot that i'm not playing a top player when i get away with doing something stupid/wrong and don't get punished for it. i think "that would have been a stock if i were playing the ____".

Bing

Smash Master
lol you make it sound so harsh :p i just tend to give advice to people automatically when they've specifically asked for it in the past. sometimes i do the same thing with engo for the same reason.
Im sorry I dont mean to make it sound like you're being harsh, infact, you say things in a way thats very understandable and you're are never harsh. So thanks lol

bing from the 2 (relatively recent) times i've played you the best analysis i can make is that you never seem to know what is going to happen, and it gets you killed because you're reacting to the unpredictable.
This is exactly right. My lack of experience leads me to this. I can practice tech skill and combos on computers all day long, but when it comes to facing a person, I make every move based on habits and whats going on in the immediate. I may have been playing for a year and a half. But I only get to play against people like... twice a month TOPS. Even though that is a fair amount of time, it becomes a real challenge to deal with new styles of players too. Which is sort of like the point I made when discussing David's Fox in comparisson to Rya and Camilo's.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
this is true. you (bing) should also familiarize yourself better with the stages and movement and positioning yourself. you seem to try to get to a certain spot in the stage but by then they're already there hitting you

off the top of my head i also recall playing jethrotex i think you're the peach player right? you didn't seem to get a grasp of what you wanted to do either. you seemed to enter panic mode frequently and got 4 stocked just by having your dsmashes punished.

hammertime i think you just need to mix up your game more. you do a lot of the same thing over and over, and when you comment on how i know how to (somehow) fight luigis/ics, you just do the same things and gotta learn to mix it up :p

it's always scary playing the top 5. it's like a 1P touch death lol

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
My goal: Make it out of pools. (granted ryan is gonna run pools) Play as many people as I can and learn as much as I can. Above all, HAVE FUN.

That's about all I want to do this tourney. Kinda curious if my Brawl smarts will transfer over and compensate enough for my lack of tech skill/Melee game mechanic knowledge.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
hammertime i think you just need to mix up your game more. you do a lot of the same thing over and over, and when you comment on how i know how to (somehow) fight luigis/ics, you just do the same things and gotta learn to mix it up :p
Yeah you're exactly right, that's one of my biggest faults keeping me from getting better. It goes back to me not playing other people as much as I should, and instead I just keep playing the same friend of mine over and over. It's causing me to get too comfortable with doing what works well against his style instead of adapting to what my opponent is actually doing.

It's definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Put Meek in my pool, I'm currently 1-1 against Brawl players trying to play Melee (Lost to TO Joe in pools in May, beat Red X in Impulse Amateur bracket) and I wanna improve that record ;)

Bing

Smash Master
this is true. you (bing) should also familiarize yourself better with the stages and movement and positioning yourself. you seem to try to get to a certain spot in the stage but by then they're already there hitting you

lol
Hmm,yeah I understand what you're saying.Im not comfortable on every stage. My movement is very choppy though I do feel that its improving with tech skill.

Put Meek in my pool, I'm currently 1-1 against Brawl players trying to play Melee (Lost to TO Joe in pools in May, beat Red X in Impulse Amateur bracket) and I wanna improve that record ;)
I play both but I guess I dont count?

unknown522

Some guy
So. The next monthly is on sept 22nd. Prepare yourself.

Also, A&C is looking to get their own stream for 'ultimate gamer' and have an ultimate gamer thing for melee. Even a stream for the Thursday casuals as well, prossibly in September or October. Details to come when I get them

:phone:

idea

Smash Master

Also, A&C is looking to get their own stream for 'ultimate gamer' and have an ultimate gamer thing for melee. Even a stream for the Thursday casuals as well, prossibly in September or October. Details to come when I get them

cool. i like streams :bee:

gonna have to look up this ultimate gamer thing though

edit: according to google there are lots of things that could be referring to

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
This might be the last monthly I come to for quite a while since school is starting again soon and the September monthly is about 2 weeks into the school year for me. Hopefully this won't be the case though, I wanna continue to be part of the community.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-c-ultimate-gamer-ssfiv.161548/

"Players that can join must have little to no knowledge of SSFIV. An underdog who has not achieved any success in ANY tournament."

That's kinda harshly put.

"8 players will be selected to compete from a draft event (the 8 players will be determined after doing a round robin/double elimination competition with X amount of participants). Players cannot be considered a top player/OG player."

That's much nicer.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace

yooooooo I should go on the ultimate gamer for melee. A Brawl player would be perfect for this.

Top Bottom