• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Why are almost all Zard players seemingly fundamentally inept at using the character? Only Sharpy and Silentdoom seem able to get the character to function by using its strengths to circumvent its many weaknesses. Anti vs Ally was cringeworthy, not only did Anti completely fail to attempt spacing, he also gave up and started spamming flare blitz as if though the match was over when it wasn't, appearing unaware of the comeback potential inherent in characters possessing the jank trinity of heavy weight, rage, and ko power. Perhaps Anti, who favors top tiers and plays them in a rather standard (albeit effective and skillfully executed) fashion is the type of player who focuses on abusing strengths rather than covering weaknesses? You don't so much fish for kills or setups with zard as you stay afloat and let the kills come to you naturally, edgeguarding aside. Anti was trying way to hard to land stuff, and way too little when it came to landing, when it came to the latter he seemed utterly clueless, being as he was, nigh perpetually caught in disadvantage. His ledgetrapping and edgeguarding also sucked total dik.

Are there zards out there that I've missed? Otherwise I really don't get why so many people suck at playing him. There's literally nothing technically demanding about playing him the way Sharpy does, in fact Zard is pretty darn easy to play.
guessing you're talking about DH Montreal?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
The issue with playing zard is that zard thrives when his opponent makes the first move and zard makes his move afterwards. Almost no other character works like that.
He also, as hippieslayer said, thrives off of surviving and then using his high kb combined with rage to send opponents flying. You can't rush-down opponents with zard and you can't take the fight to opponents with zard you essentially have to wait for the opponent to come to you (which most will have to eventually) and then use zard's kb and rage against them.
Bait them out, cause them to make a mistake, then punish. This is zard's entire game plan but it's weird how some players just don't grasp this.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The issue with playing zard is that zard thrives when his opponent makes the first move and zard makes his move afterwards. Almost no other character works like that.
He also, as hippieslayer said, thrives off of surviving and then using his high kb combined with rage to send opponents flying. You can't rush-down opponents with zard and you can't take the fight to opponents with zard you essentially have to wait for the opponent to come to you (which most will have to eventually) and then use zard's kb and rage against them.
Bait them out, cause them to make a mistake, then punish. This is zard's entire game plan but it's weird how some players just don't grasp this.
That's Ganon's playstyle too, but add in "preying on the opp's fear"

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Since there's no thread, Stroder the Greninja just JV 2'd Nairo and took the set 2-0 in pools. So, uh, Greninja'd.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
A lot of characters work this way, TBH. Sonic, Ryu, even Mario & Luigi to an extent. If you get the opponent to press buttons when they shouldn't, you're better off. That's why good movement is also so important.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Played the anti air threat game really well. And those shurikens were on point. You can't really sleep on the most mobile character in the game.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
That's Ganon's playstyle too, but add in "preying on the opp's fear"
You do that with charizard as well.

A lot of characters work this way, TBH. Sonic, Ryu, even Mario & Luigi to an extent. If you get the opponent to press buttons when they shouldn't, you're better off. That's why good movement is also so important.
All characters work that way to some extent, but in terms of degree Charizard stands out. His aggressive options just suck, sometimes, but not very often, you might dashgrab or dash attack or use an aggressive fair to stuff out an opponent whom you think isn't expecting it, but you spend most of your time in neutral or disadvantage, doing moves to bait attacks or to cover anticipated attacks, actually being quite passive and trying to harrass without committing. A lot of people think they can harass Charizard like other superheavies, which plays to his advantage. His initial jab has very good range for a F4 jab, it reaches far ahead of him, very strong OOS option. He doesn't have a kill confirm grab, but he has a plethora of moves that kill, most of which are far easier to land when punishing aggressive play, he doesnt need to rely on one in particular, since he has a lot of different kill moves it takes more character knowledge to know what to look out for. Thats why Charizard players don't really need to look for kills so much as let them come to them by just staying alive and paying attention to how the opponent is attacking. Most other characters are more specific and proactive in the ways they like to end stocks.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Zero just murdered Javi 3-0 after a relatively close 1st game. The commentators wondered why Javi got blasted the last two games, but if you are a Sheik player, and the first time you charge needles in a game is two minutes in, you are in panic autopilot. Needles are still probably the best projectile in the game. Use them.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
All characters work that way to some extent, but in terms of degree Charizard stands out. His aggressive options just suck, sometimes, but not very often, you might dashgrab or dash attack or use an aggressive fair to stuff out an opponent whom you think isn't expecting it, but you spend most of your time in neutral or disadvantage, doing moves to bait attacks or to cover anticipated attacks, actually being quite passive and trying to harrass without committing. A lot of people think they can harass Charizard like other superheavies, which plays to his advantage. His initial jab has very good range for a F4 jab, it reaches far ahead of him, very strong OOS option. He doesn't have a kill confirm grab, but he has a plethora of moves that kill, most of which are far easier to land when punishing aggressive play, he doesnt need to rely on one in particular, since he has a lot of different kill moves it takes more character knowledge to know what to look out for. Thats why Charizard players don't really need to look for kills so much as let them come to them by just staying alive and paying attention to how the opponent is attacking. Most other characters are more specific and proactive in the ways they like to end stocks.
Exactly, every character mentioned might, for sake of argument, wait for their opponent to make the first move but they don't have to RELY on it and center their gameplan AROUND it.
Mario has his dash grab into his utilt, luigi has even more combos out of his own dthrow, ganondorf can use flame choke plus wizard's foot to take an aggressive stance. Zard can't do any of these things. His dthrow into fair only works at very low %'s so in most cases it's best not to even bother because he has almost no true combos. His flare blitz is a move that leaves zard vulnerable to jablock (which is why I almost never use it), almost all of zard's smashes are slow and laggy but have excellent kb and range so it's best to use these OOS or as a punish.
In other words zard can't play aggressively, his moveset doesn't allow it. Trying to play aggressively with a zard can and will cause you to lose because nearly all of his moves are punishable on shield or whiff, combine that with zard being combo food and it's just an awful idea to play aggressively with zard.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
And then Stroder loses last hit to Scizors Link. I'm not a Greninja main, so I'm not sure how this MU is supposed to play, but if you are Greninja, do you really want to play at mid-long range against Link? Like, I know Stroder wanted those whiff punishes, but Link is actually really safe on shield with his aerials and spaced Ftilt.

I've never seen a Greninja sit in shield so much. What say you, Frogs? Edit: or Hylians.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Can't really give much input on Stroder vs Scizor because I wasn't watching, but I'm really impressed with how Stroder is doing, he sure is climbing up in terms of skill.

Other people who were watching the stream can probably dissect that match better than I can, but I do believe Greninja should have a small advantage over Link in the MU.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Looks like Rosalina got kill thrown (It's either up or down don't remember) by Blue Pikmin and yet hit by luma mid animation yet the throw continued. Which may have somehow increased knockback because even though that definitely would gat killed the knock back received look higher than normal.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Can't really give much input on Stroder vs Scizor because I wasn't watching, but I'm really impressed with how Stroder is doing, he sure is climbing up in terms of skill.

Other people who were watching the stream can probably dissect that match better than I can, but I do believe Greninja should have a small advantage over Link in the MU.
He played pretty fundamentals based and really only tried to do some drag down Uair set ups during the match with Scizor once or twice. He plays miles differently than say, Venia, which would probably be one of my bigger gripes - that his punish game was pretty lacking, especially against Scizor. I think Link's kill power spooked him and he turned off the burners.

Edit: Stroder did say that if Nairo had gone Bowser or Lucina that he would have gotten destroyed.

Last edited:

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Help me the Olimar discord flair chat is blowing up lmao I couldn't be more happier as an Olimar player.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Apparently the Gods of Smash have decided that "Greninja and Link" and "Top 8" are mutually exclusive terms.

JB333

Smash Apprentice
T:4link: 3-2 Stroder:4greninja:

Hypest set in smash 4 I've EVER seen
Basically real life Anime

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
This Means War (57 entrants: Houston, Texas)

1st. Barakas :4yoshi:
2nd. Cashmere :4falcon:
3rd. Mbohne :4mario:
4th. SU | BC :4cloud:
---------------------------------------
Other notable placements:
5th. Day :4lucario:
9th. Deluxemenu :4bowser:
9th. Shadow_PR :4bayonetta2:
9th. Tenni :4charizard:
13th. FX | Karna :4sheik: :4cloud2:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
And then Stroder loses last hit to Scizors Link. I'm not a Greninja main, so I'm not sure how this MU is supposed to play, but if you are Greninja, do you really want to play at mid-long range against Link? Like, I know Stroder wanted those whiff punishes, but Link is actually really safe on shield with his aerials and spaced Ftilt.

I've never seen a Greninja sit in shield so much. What say you, Frogs? Edit: or Hylians.
How I read it was Stroder was scared of rage Link fair and he was trying to wait for an opening in shield at mid range. He'd be better off just stuffing him on landing or in between bomb throws with dash attack and start something. None of link's projectiles could have killed him anyway. He let rage scare him into losing faith in his mobility advantage and paid the price for it.

:150:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
2GGC: West Side Saga (300 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: ZeRo :4diddy:
2nd: Tweek :4cloud2:
3rd: Shuton :4olimar:
4th: KEN :4sonic:
5th: Kirihara :rosalina:
5th: Nairo :4zss:
7th: Tsu- :4lucario:
7th: Charliedaking :4fox:
9th: Scizor :4link:
9th: Zinoto :4diddy:
9th: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2::4metaknight:
9th: T :4link:
13th: VaLoR :4sonic:
13th: Falln :rosalina:
13th: Lima :4bayonetta2:
13th: Stroder :4greninja:
17th: Locus :4ryu:
17th: Apa~ :4ryu:
17th: SS :4villager: :4ness:
17th: Javi :4cloud2: :4sheik:
17th: Aarvark :4villager:
17th: Zenyou :4mario:
17th: Elegant :4luigi:
17th: Aperture :4sonic:
25th: Tyrant :4metaknight: :4cloud2: :4sheik: :rosalina:
25th: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
25th: DSS :4metaknight:
25th: Konga :4dk:
25th: JK :4bayonetta2:
25th: Luhite :4zss:
25th: Eon :4fox:
25th: TLTC :4palutena:

Emerald City V (112 Entrants) (Pacific Northwest)

1st: Cacogen :4sheik:
2nd: Big D :4mario: :4falcon:
3rd: Captain L :4pikachu: :4bayonetta2:
4th: Shinkou :4sheik:
5th: Pokepen :4bayonetta2:
5th: Magister :4villager: :4charizard:
7th: Locke :4megaman:
7th: Pyreeze :4samus:

I think Olimar is one of the few remaining characters in this game with top tier potential. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in top 10 down the line.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

9th: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2:
25th: Tyrant :4metaknight:

Emerald City V (112 Entrants) (Pacific Northwest)

1st: Cacogen :4sheik:
2nd: Big D :4mario: :4falcon:
3rd: Captain L :4pikachu: :4bayonetta2:
4th: Shinkou :4sheik:
5th: Pokepen :4bayonetta2:
5th: Magister :4villager: :4charizard:
7th: Locke :4megaman:
7th: Pyreeze :4samus:

I think Olimar is one of the few remaining characters in this game with top tier potential. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in top 10 down the line.
This feels like jumping the shark a bit. He has Shuton and Dabuz (as a secondary) and this is probably Shuton's best showing, but I don't see top tier yet until he's trouncing top players on a regular basis and moves past top 20 in results (that's where he's hovering rn). High tier, yes, but he's competing with :4bayonetta2::4cloud::4diddy::4fox::4mewtwo::rosalina::4sheik::4zss::4sonic::4marth::4lucina::4ryu::4mario: for top 10 alone. I only see Olimar surpassing Marth/Marthette. Then you have the borderlines :4lucario::4corrin::4falcon::4dk:(Do NOT count DK out atm he's on fire) that can breakout at any moment.

Lots of competition makes Olimar feel more like 15-20th pool. Crazy how anyone in this game can explode onto the scene in minutes. They just have to continue to balance on the hype wave instead of falling off like others.

I will say that Olimar has a good MU on Diddy though which is always positive. Then again so does Luigi, but he's not doing too hot lately...imo.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm back, I had to give my hands a break. Anything interesting happen or just same old top tiers with the occasional upsets?

9th: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2:
25th: Tyrant :4metaknight:
Alright, Scizor and T doing :4link: work :grin:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The Prophecy of Radical Larry
Link is looking more and more like a low high tier, or at least around the same level of competitiveness as DK and Bowser (though without being focused around a singular aspect of gameplay). I mean, there were the same number of Links in top 16 as Diddys, Bayos, Sonics, and Rosalinas.

A complete lack of Sheik probably helped, but still.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
People tend to forget that characters like Olimar, Link, Ness, Lucario to name a few there are others, are all still good characters they just happen to be uncommon characters with few top players or top players who don't show up to a lot. It doesn't surprise me to see them do well when they are able to come out. Understandably not everyone can be top or high tier but seeing Link place doesn't surprise me T is good, Link is good.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Shulla-Bra XI (Japan) 116 entrants

1) Ri-Ma :4tlink:

2) FILIP :4mario::4fox:

3) Mattun :4cloud:

4) Kome :4shulk:

5) Zaki :4dedede:

5) Pikazono :4falco:

7) Hiro:4bayonetta: