• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:4wario2:'s possibly the biggest victim of the power creep and DLC. I feel like he doesn't deserve to be a low tier and it's better to have a larger mid tier than needlessly throw characters down because there are better characters. A big mid tier feels right.

However I would support a borderline tier for characters like :4dk:.

True.. aren't Cloud and Bayo considered absolutely abysmal MU's for Wario now.. like 3:7 for him?

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Rizen Rizen Nah I think :4pacman: takes this award. He was almost high tier and had no god-awful match-ups till DLC came.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Midwest Mayhem 9 (300 Entrants) (Midwest)

1st: ZeRo :4diddy:
2nd: Nairo :4zss: :4bowser:
3rd: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk:
4th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2:
5th: Zinoto :4diddy:
5th: Tyroy :4bayonetta2: :4lucina:
7th: Cosmos :4corrinf:
7th: Mystearica :4bayonetta2:
9th: Ned :4cloud2:
9th: Ryuga :4corrinf:
9th: Das :4tlink:
9th: DarkShad :4ryu:
13th: Nom :4sheik:
13th: Skorpio :4robinm:
13th: Seth :4yoshi:
13th: Sheen :4lucina: :4sheik:

17th: JJROCKETS :4diddy:
17th: big_mak :4sheik:
17th: Sree :4fox:
17th: Sells :4bayonetta2:
17th: Quilly :4falco: :4bowser:
17th: ATATA :4ness:
17th: Hackoru :4mario: :4diddy:
17th: Ozone :4duckhunt:
25th: Percy :4mario: :4cloud2:
25th: Cilvanis :4mewtwo: :4lucas:
25th: Dare2Dream :4cloud2: :4fox:
25th: Fade :4bayonetta2: :4cloud2:
25th: Nero :4pikachu:
25th: Zguh :4metaknight: :4dk:
25th: Nicklecat :4greninja:
25th: Vinson :4cloud2: :4bayonetta2: :4mario:

ALPHA (109 Entrants) (New York)

1st: Dabuz :rosalina:
2nd: WaDi :4mewtwo: :4rob:
3rd: John Numbers :4wiifit:
4th: Ling Ling :4peach:
5th: Angel Cortes :4diddy:
5th: Light :4fox:
7th: Frozen :4corrinf:
7th: dekillsage :4fox: :4mewtwo:

9th: Mr. E :4marth:

UNLOCKED (102 Entrants) (Florida)

1st: Salem :4bayonetta2:
2nd: ESAM :4pikachu:
3rd: ScAtt :4megaman:
4th: Static Manny :4sonic:
5th: Samsora :4peach:
5th: Mew2King :4cloud2: :4dk:
7th: Mute Ace :4peach:
7th: Cashmere :4falcon:

Super SmashNest v16 (88 Entrants) (Washington)

1st: Konga :4dk:
2nd: Shinkou :4sheik::4marth::4fox:
3rd: Pokepen :4bayonetta2::rosalina:
4th: Justice :4myfriends:
5th: ianology :4bayonetta2:
5th: SilentRain :4bayonetta2::4mario::4greninja:
7th: Pyreeze :4samus:
7th: Locke :4megaman:

I'm starting to feel like the secret to giving top tiers huge weekends is to talk down on them here.

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Denti's Bizarre Adventure 6 (DFW, Texas: 47 entrants)

1st. SWG | Lima :4bayonetta2:
2nd. FX | Awestin :4ness:
3rd. SWG | Jayson :4fox: :4cloud:
4th. SU | Hakii :4mewtwo:

Routa

Smash Lord
True.. aren't Cloud and Bayo considered absolutely abysmal MU's for Wario now.. like 3:7 for him?
Cloud, Bayo, M2 and Sonic are his worst MUs. They aren't just bad, but horrible. Add to that he struggles against Marcinas and you can see why Wario isn't doing so well.

Wario does have one of the best frame data, but the issue is that the reward from each hit is small and that the hitboxes are poop

The thing is that Glutonny is most likely top 10 players in the world when it comes to fundamentals and execution. He is mainly lacking in the MU knowledge/experience department (even he has talked about it).

verbatim

Smash Ace
Cloud is the big one, but Marcina got buffed to the point that they also destroy Pacman.

Pre DLC the meta was very Sheik/Diddy centric, which were and still are "good" Pacman matchups compared to swords characters.

For what it's worth I think that Villager and Ness got hurt the hardest by the new meta (i.e., Cloud and sword characters), but Pacman also took a huge hit.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Don't forget Yoshi.
He was considered a Top Tier in the beginning, slowly fell because people realized his flaws and then DLC happens.
Yoshi has the very biggest decline in the meta game's history

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Don't forget Yoshi.
He was considered a Top Tier in the beginning, slowly fell because people realized his flaws and then DLC happens.
No offense, but it's kind of hard to say he had the biggest decline when he never had any notable results. You're right about his faults being realized and DLC messing with his chances, but--as hyped as the character was--he never really had the results to back them up.

Cloud is the big one, but Marcina got buffed to the point that they also destroy Pacman.

Pre DLC the meta was very Sheik/Diddy centric, which were and still are "good" Pacman matchups compared to swords characters.

For what it's worth I think that Villager and Ness got hurt the hardest by the new meta (i.e., Cloud and sword characters), but Pacman also took a huge hit.
Villager definitely took a hit, but he's still relatively notable at the top level thanks to Ranai (although he's been using other characters recently as well), but his placements have been less impressive as they were when he started. The Cloud matchup is definitely the worst of the DLC for him (though if you can get him offstage it's winnable).

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Marcina's grab isn't really a fair comparison though. Sure they don't do that much damage with their throws but they have an easier time landing grabs, get low % grab combos (occasionally 50/50s at kill percent for Marth), and put you offstage or at the ledge with their fthrow. They might not work well with other characters kits but they're perfect for Marcina
They do indeed have a longer grab range than Wario and faster ground mobility making for more frequent grabs. They also have a faster pummel that does the same damage so they can lessen the damage difference. I would imagine Wario can also easily get opponents offstage with his throws since his fthrow is his kill throw. And while I'm sure players have managed to make Marcina's grab game work for them, there is Melee and Brawl to look back at and show that having more combo-oriented throws did work very well for Marth.

Perhaps Cloud would have been a better example. He also gets very little damage off of grabs and only really gets combos at super low %. He also has a poor grab range.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Midwest Mayhem 9 (300 Entrants) (Midwest)
[...]
7th: Cosmos :4corrinf:
[...]
9th: Ryuga :4corrinf:

[...]
ALPHA (109 Entrants) (New York)
[...]
7th: Frozen :4corrinf:
Add Earth using Corrin more, Vivid's recent results (eliminating 6WX at Smashdelphia), and also Promaelia getting some local results. Oh, and let's not forget MkLeo's Corrin. At the end of this year, I'd bet not very many people would still consider Corrin a mid tier. She's most likely a high tier (though #13 is still a bit too high, in my opinion).

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Albion 2 is going on right now and it's full of upsets.

Afro smash :4samus:2-1 Istudying :4greninja: sending him to losers

Then pefo :4sonic: 2-0 Istudying :4greninja: eliminating him at 33rd

Ramses:4corrin: 2-0 aperture :4sonic: sending him to losers

Yikarur Yikarur :4yoshi:(I think) 2-1 aperture :4sonic: eliminating him at 33rd

EDIT: Afro smash beat S1 in losers and is out at 17th

EDIT 2: :4ganondorf: (Dr. DORF) is in top 16 losers side after beating Schligger:4mewtwo: in pools, meru :4peach:and kibzu(don't know who he plays) in winners top 64, and beating Zcyclone :4zss: to get top 16.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

Ness took a hit but he didn't get hit that hard. He's even with Lucas, debatably is even or slightly loses with Mewtwo. Debatably is even or slightly beats Roy, Ryu and Bayo (two top tiers) and then loses to Cloud and Corrin.

Cloud is common but the MU isn't as bad that some pocket Cloud is going to coast you past a good Ness. Corrin is just bleh though yes. What hurt Ness was people figuring out how to fight him better.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Don't forget Yoshi.

I think that "honour" goes to Greninja. He was pretty ridiculous way back in the 3DD days with the busted up-smash that made Mario's seem like nothing, shadow sneak cancel glitch and the Up-B pushback hitboxes that could gimp almost everyone.

However with the balance patch with the Wii U version release not only removed his jank stuff but also gutted him as a character.) He did get some improvments through further balance patches and he gets some decent results from dedicated mains. But it looks like the Ninja Frog's wont be returning to his 3DS glory days in the meta anytime soon.

One thing is Greninja favor is that he is not completely wrecked that bad from DLC like some other examples of fallen off characters ( Wario, Yoshi, Pac-Man) However the breif hype and period where he waa thought to be a hard-counter to Bayo (even pre-patch) proved well , false

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Wait...can we talk about the fact that Parappa:4larry:, took a Xanadu monthly yesterday and 3-0'd pink fresh?

With Bowser Jr.???
I made the mistake of being in his way lol. He and Zeph were in my pool, so RIP me. He also beat Zeph's Cloud and Seagull's Sonic. Both with only Jr. He barely used Ryu, so don't let that diminish what he did.

ZD was there, but lost to Tension and Serynder.

As for a separate topic:

I voted Marcina as worse, tbh. I feel like we've seen their peak moreso than almost any other top tier, tbh. But I've always been more skeptical of Marcina being top tier, so take my opinions with a grain of bias.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I made the mistake of being in his way lol. He and Zeph were in my pool, so RIP me. He also beat Zeph's Cloud and Seagull's Sonic. Both with only Jr. He barely used Ryu, so don't let that diminish what he did.

ZD was there, but lost to Tension and Serynder.

As for a separate topic:

I voted Marcina as worse, tbh. I feel like we've seen their peak moreso than almost any other top tier, tbh. But I've always been more skeptical of Marcina being top tier, so take my opinions with a grain of bias.
Right now if it weren't for MkLeo, :4marth: would at best be in high tier because of Mr.E becoming inconsistent and other Marth players no longer hitting as hard as they once did.

Goombo

Smash Apprentice

Just learned that Bayonetta can use the triple jump glitch multiple times in the air.

I'm normally not one to whine about this character but ... seriously?
How did this never get patched?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Right now if it weren't for MkLeo, :4marth: would at best be in high tier because of Mr.E becoming inconsistent and other Marth players no longer hitting as hard as they once did.
Even with MK Leo, honestly, considering Cloud is out way more. You know, I don't like the idea that we default to saying that the characters that top players use *must* be top tier. I feel like we try and categorize characters in the same way we categorize their players. A top level player can already do damage with mid-tiers. A high tier - especially backed by another character for bad MUs - can most certainly win a supermajor.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Albion 2 (306 Entrants) (Europe)

1st: Glutonny :4wario:
2nd: Cyve :4diddy:
3rd: MagiMagi :4mewtwo:
4th: IxisNagus :4sonic:
5th: OwlBBs :4bayonetta2:
5th: Supahsemmie :4mario:
7th: Wusi :4fox:
7th: M :4shulk:
9th: Purple~H :4cloud2:
9th: Meru :4peach:
9th: Afro Smash :4samus:
9th: Rameses :4corrinf:
13th: Dr.DORF :4ganondorf:
13th: Lucretio :4rob:
13th: Peli :4sonic:
13th: Yackabean :4tlink:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Since this week had several big-decent sized competitions with many big players spread among them. I will just put the overall winners for the week

Winners
:4diddy::rosalina::4wario2: and of course :4bayonetta: Just ummm..Yeah

I dont thhink any characters can be consideres losers this week since there were no real underperfomances this week from players of characters we would not expect for the most part

Last edited:

Pyrover

Smash Cadet
Speak of the devil.

Also on topic, I'd say Mewtwo's worse than Marth. Both have strong mobility andcomparable damage outputs/kill power, but Mewtwo is a very linear character who mostly plays neutral with d-tilt, shadow ball, and fair, whereas Marth has tools for any neutral situation.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
In other news ESAM tweeted who he thinks are the current top 10

https://mobile.twitter.com/pg_esam/status/880995340098433025

Surpirsed he placed Pika relatively low on thr list considering he recently made a MU chart for Pika that would not be out of place for Pre-Patched Diddy and Sheik. Also still underating ZSS..

Just becuase your main may win the MU and you have a stong record vs with a top tier character does not mean they are overratted.

It will be MK main saying Rosalina is not top 10 and is currently way overrated.. I mean come on

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
In other news ESAM tweeted who he thinks are the current top 10

https://mobile.twitter.com/pg_esam/status/880995340098433025

Surpirsed he placed Pika relatively low on thr list considering he recently made a MU chart for Pika that would not be out of place for Pre-Patched Diddy and Sheik. Also still underating ZSS..

Just becuase your main may win the MU and you have a stong record vs with a top tier character does not mean they are overratted.

It will be MK main saying Rosalina is not top 10 and is currently way overrated..
Look....it's an EsamOpinion, I get it, but........really?
*sighs*
top 6 or so, I could say okay, that's an opinion I won't argue with, and I know he loves pika and all, but I honestly didn't think he'd put marth over zss and sonic.....

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Speak of the devil.

Also on topic, I'd say Mewtwo's worse than Marth. Both have strong mobility andcomparable damage outputs/kill power, but Mewtwo is a very linear character who mostly plays neutral with d-tilt, shadow ball, and fair, whereas Marth has tools for any neutral situation.
I think Mewtwo kills earlier than Marcina more often. Yeah, an early tipper can end a stock at 50, earlier with rage... But that tipper fsmash is rare. Much rarer than a variety of Mewtwo's options at 100%.

So I believe Mewtwo has the better advantage state. In addition, of all the characters with platform cancel recoveries, Mewtwo players use theirs the least by far. Combined with other movement options, there's no reason for them to get stuck in disadvantage so often. Again, even when I play unknown Palutena players, they *dance* on platforms. They'll be in five different places before they go anywhere. That's something I rarely see from top Mewtwo players.

So I think Mewtwo has the stronger disadvantage as well.

Then you have neutral - Mewtwo's neutral options, while maybe not as versatile as Marcina's - aren't too far in strength. Shadow Ball alone is amazing, then dtilt, dsmash, confusion... Those are still strong.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Yeah, an early tipper can end a stock at 50, earlier with rage... But that tipper fsmash is rare. Much rarer than a variety of Mewtwo's options at 100%.
Could we please get past this tipper fsmash nonsense like it's what makes Marth good at killing? I swear this comes up every time Marth is brought up when it has so little to do with the character's actual effect on the meta.

Ftilt, nair, bair, and dancing blade are all reliable kill options too and they also kill fairly early. Fair and uair are pretty good too, and that's just raw kill power, let's not forget about jab 1 set ups.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Cloud, Bayo, M2 and Sonic are his worst MUs. They aren't just bad, but horrible. Add to that he struggles against Marcinas and you can see why Wario isn't doing so well.

Wario does have one of the best frame data, but the issue is that the reward from each hit is small and that the hitboxes are poop

The thing is that Glutonny is most likely top 10 players in the world when it comes to fundamentals and execution. He is mainly lacking in the MU knowledge/experience department (even he has talked about it).
Does he really have good fram data? Which attacks have good frame data?

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
:4marth:/:4lucina:'s results have been dwindling for the past 2 or 3 months; :4mewtwo:'s have been steady for a while, better than the Falchions themselves, and also has 3 PGRv3 representatives. Leo has been using Cloud much more than Marth too.

Both have good MU spreads in the sense that they don't lose any more than 5 MUs. It's been argued by WaDi that Diddy beats Mewtwo +2, but Abadango, Zinoto, and Dyr have it only as a slight win for Diddy.

I have to give the edge to Mewtwo here, I think he's currently the better character.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:4marth:/:4lucina:'s results have been dwindling for the past 2 or 3 months; :4mewtwo:'s have been steady for a while, better than the Falchions themselves, and also has 3 PGRv3 representatives. Leo has been using Cloud much more than Marth too.

Both have good MU spreads in the sense that they don't lose any more than 5 MUs. It's been argued by WaDi that Diddy beats Mewtwo +2, but Abadango, Zinoto, and Dyr have it only as a slight win for Diddy.

I have to give the edge to Mewtwo here, I think he's currently the better character.
What characters are considered slightly Losing MU's for Marcina ? I feel like they have not been as defined or stated as the other Top tiers.

Sheik is considered one for Marth right? who else? One big thing is that that they may go even with both Cloud and Bayo according to a few pro opinions

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
What characters are considered slightly Losing MU's for Marcina ?
:4fox: Argued as even, in fact I agree, but it's possibly a slight disadvantage due to Larry believing Fox slightly wins and Mr. E having Tweeted out after Civil War that he's wanting to work on a Cloud for that MU.
:4sheik: False, who plays both characters, believes Sheik slightly wins; unfortunately, could not find other recent MU charts supporting this.
:4diddy: False and, I'd imagine, Mr. E both believe they lose this. Zinoto also has this MU as Diddy winning.
:4cloud: Goes back and forth, but I can see why Cloud would win this; Tweek and Pugwest both believe Cloud wins.
:4sonic: 6WX and Wrath both believe Sonic wins; no data for what the top Marths think could be found.

I used recent (2017) MU charts and my own personal experience as a Lucina player for these answers.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
IMO :4mewtwo:>:4marth:>:4lucina:. Marth is a spacing monster but Mewtwo's good at spacing too with a killer throw game, better mobility/recovery, the best reflector/command grab/mobility boost and shadowball.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Could we please get past this tipper fsmash nonsense like it's what makes Marth good at killing? I swear this comes up every time Marth is brought up when it has so little to do with the character's actual effect on the meta.

Ftilt, nair, bair, and dancing blade are all reliable kill options too and they also kill fairly early. Fair and uair are pretty good too, and that's just raw kill power, let's not forget about jab 1 set ups.
You misunderstand - I was going for the strongest kill option. Never said it was the only one. I wanted to show the difference between Mewtwo's options and Marth's strongest option. Otherwise we get to moves you'll see somewhere between 70-90%, and that's not at all far off from what Mewtwo does.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Does he really have good fram data? Which attacks have good frame data?
Most of his good frame data comes from startup, but I was actually struck a little while ago at how surprisingly good Wario's startup frame data seems to be.
Dash Attack is one of the fastest in the game at frame 4, DTilt is frame 5 (and is in total one frame shorter than Diddy's), NAir's first hit is frame 4 (though you then have a 10-frame gap before the second hit, ew), FAir is frame 5, UAir is frame 8, and BAir and DAir are reasonably fast at frame 9. While is grabs are all frame 8, that include Chomp, which is really nice for a held command grab, you can jump off of Side-B almost immediately (only 8 frames after the hitbox appears), and a frame 5 kill move in half Waft is fantastic. Even full Waft, at frame 9, is respectable, and he gets super armor on frame 5.

verbatim

Smash Ace
They win for a lot of similar reasons Cloud does but they can't get cheesed offstage and they can edgeguard him very well.

Nair beats/catches any fruit and clanks w/ the hydrant, disjoints in general are really effective against his moves, and they're one of the few characters in the game that can reliably edgeguard him. Countering a side-b is lethal and otherwise their normal edgeguarding kit is really good in the matchup.

On a similar note, other than limit, one of the biggest reason that Cloud destroys most zoning characters is actually his nair and how it invalidates projectiles.

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Does anyone know where I can find footage of Albion 2?

I keep hearing about Gluttony, but I didn't think much of him because I've never seen anything of him. For him to win a 300+ man tourney just a few days ago obviously he is still very relevant, and since I was just talking about Wario, I think I need to see what he's doing with the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom