• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Even with MK Leo, honestly, considering Cloud is out way more. You know, I don't like the idea that we default to saying that the characters that top players use *must* be top tier. I feel like we try and categorize characters in the same way we categorize their players. A top level player can already do damage with mid-tiers. A high tier - especially backed by another character for bad MUs - can most certainly win a supermajor.
Can we all just take a second to appreciate this post. I would hate for this to be forgotten.
--
I suppose I need to say something else.
Regarding Mewtwo vs Marth, some people here are sleeping on the power of Mewtwo's neutral imo. Despite that his extremely good neutral is the crux of his viability and without it he would be mid tier. Everyone knows that SBall, dtilt, and fair are some of the best neutral options of any character, and so are things like Confusion (one of the most underappreciated moves in the game - a large command grab that's very viable to use in neutral, can be used out of a dash and forces you to use either use your double jump against Mewtwo or face a tech situation, again against Mewtwo, that is also a reflector and has movement applications - the move is amazing.) And of course his movement is excellent too.
So we have some of the strongest neutral tools in the game on a character with incredible mobility and multiple win conditions which can be set up off of a single hit. And people aren't even using his down smash in neutral yet. (why not? It's so good)
There's nothing inherently linear about it imo. I know neutral is as linear or not as the player makes it but there are some characters with neutrals that can only be linear and Mewtwo certainly isn't one.
The main flaw of Mewtwo's neutral is his poor options to hit behind him (which is a flaw he shares with Marth but is def more pronounced with Mewtwo) but as people start applying perfect pivots more often, and combined with the current stagelist, this is certainly not a crippling flaw.

His advantage and disadvantage is better than Marth's too imo.

In case my opinion wasn't obvious, Mewtwo is far and away the better character. Marth is very good too obviously but I am of the opinion Mewtwo is on another level.
Marth is better in the doubles metagame though.
Does anyone know where I can find footage of Albion 2?

I keep hearing about Gluttony, but I didn't think much of him because I've never seen anything of him. For him to win a 300+ man tourney just a few days ago obviously he is still very relevant, and since I was just talking about Wario, I think I need to see what he's doing with the character.
As far as I know nothing is uploaded yet but they will probably be uploaded to BYOController or DAT team. I missed it live too unfortunately but I'll be catching it up asap so I'll post on your profile or something when I know.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Does anyone know where I can find footage of Albion 2?

I keep hearing about Gluttony, but I didn't think much of him because I've never seen anything of him. For him to win a 300+ man tourney just a few days ago obviously he is still very relevant, and since I was just talking about Wario, I think I need to see what he's doing with the character.
No footage of albion 2 yet, but here's a recent set between Gluttony and Fatality in grand finals, probably some of the best displays of Warios combos, kill setups, and offstage game.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm writing a very, very long and detailed article on Bayonetta's metagame history. I won't disclose many details at the moment (it'll probably be over 10k words), but the subject goes into great detail on every prominent Bayonetta main. The ones I'm focused on;

Salem (Florida, formerly Tristate)
Captain Zack (Louisiana/South/Southeast)
9B (Kansai/Japan)
ikep (Chubu/Japan)
Hiro (Kyushu/Japan)
Mistake (Ontario/Canada)
saj. (Florida)
Pink Fresh (MD/VA)
Wonf (Mexico)
Chag (Mexico)
Tyroy (Chicago/Midwest)
Mystearica (Midwest)
RiotLettuce (Florida)
Child (Florida)
JK (Vegas/Southwest)
Lima (Texas/South)
AeroLink (Texas/South)
Aphro (SoCal)

#1: Have I missed any in NA/Japan?
#2: Who are the current prominent EU Bayonetta mains? Chances are, I'm not going to discuss the EU-side of things at all, but I'd like to still know so I can have a brief section on it.

This is a big deal so even listing ones that are only mildly relevant would be helpful so I can examine things.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I'm writing a very, very long and detailed article on Bayonetta's metagame history. I won't disclose many details at the moment (it'll probably be over 10k words), but the subject goes into great detail on every prominent Bayonetta main. The ones I'm focused on;

9B (Kansai/Japan)
ikep (Chubu/Japan)
Hiro (Kyushu/Japan)
Mistake (Ontario/Canada)
saj. (Florida)
Pink Fresh (MD/VA)
Wonf (Mexico)
Chag (Mexico)
Tyroy (Chicago/Midwest)
Mystearica (Midwest)
RiotLettuce (Florida)
Child (Florida)
JK (Vegas/Southwest)
Lima (Texas/South)
AeroLink (Texas/South)
Aphro (SoCal)

#2: Who are the current prominent EU Bayonetta mains? Chances are, I'm not going to discuss the EU-side of things at all, but I'd like to still know so I can have a brief section on it.

This is a big deal so even listing ones that are only mildly relevant would be helpful so I can examine things.
Griffith comes to mind as EU's de facto Bayonetta. There's also Rydle who's pre-patch dominance in Spain was likely what prompted them to consider a ban but he retired at the end of 2016.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
cyve is one (co-mains Bayonetta and Diddy Kong, according to SmashWiki). He's ranked #1 in Germany, and got 2nd place in B.E.A.S.T 7 (which Mr. R won, of course).

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
they're one of the few characters in the game that can reliably edgeguard him. Countering a side-b is lethal and otherwise their normal edgeguarding kit is really good in the matchup.
For one, how do they edgeguard him well?

Secondly, for what reason would you want to use Pac's side b besides recovery?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
For one, how do they edgeguard him well?

Countering a side b was part of edgeguarding, especially if Pac is sent far offstage. Marth and Lucina are just really good edgeguarders in general, especially if their opponent's options lack speed and/or good hitboxes.

To answer the second question, kill setups and hard reads (also to kill).

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

9B (Kansai/Japan)
ikep (Chubu/Japan)
Hiro (Kyushu/Japan)
Mistake (Ontario/Canada)
saj. (Florida)
Pink Fresh (MD/VA)
Wonf (Mexico)
Chag (Mexico)
Tyroy (Chicago/Midwest)
Mystearica (Midwest)
RiotLettuce (Florida)
Child (Florida)
JK (Vegas/Southwest)
Lima (Texas/South)
AeroLink (Texas/South)
Aphro (SoCal)

Wraith (8th New Jersey)
BluB (8th in Germany)
Badr (4th in the Netherlands)
Hazmatt (14th in New England)
Black Yoshi (10th in MD/VA)
Calculus (6th in Utah)

Those are the only ones I think you're missing.

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
GrimTurtle? Doesn't enter much, but he's beaten Nicko, Megafox, TLTC, Papa Wall, and Twi.

Last edited:

Monete

Smash Cadet
Griffith comes to mind as EU's de facto Bayonetta. There's also Rydle who's pre-patch dominance in Spain was likely what prompted them to consider a ban but he retired at the end of 2016.
Rydle has played some tournaments this year and has won everyone if im not mistaken.

He isnt very active because he is a Lol or Dota pro but isnt retires.

He is going to the Spanish national this weekend

https://smash.gg/tournament/adapt-kingdom-1/attendees?per_page=50&filter={"eventIds"%3A34267%7D&page=1

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
The main one is to kill after a bell stun. The other big one is that if you block a projectile with it then you can eat the pellet and heal yourself.

Last edited:

ismaaa

Smash Rookie
I have a question what do you think about :4zelda:'s place in the meta right now

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I have a question what do you think about :4zelda:'s place in the meta right now
Ven, Onpu, and Fairess are all phenomenal players but I can't see Zelda doing anything relevant anytime soon, and Ven's 65th at Civil War is probably the best the character will do.

Oh, and Samsora made a Peach MU chart.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Rizen

Smash Legend
You can't sleep on any ssb4 character. I think a really good Zelda could surprise people and Ven has shown that with results. With that said, she's bottom tier and won't impact the meta. It's important to know the MU is the closest Zelda gets to relevancy.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
That MU spread isn't really that hard to believe. Peach has proven to run even with a large majority of the cast at this rate and has several MUs in top tier that are managable - key word being manageable. It's notable that Samsora didn't put any Top 10 character as an advantage in her favor. It's a reasonable spread for a Top 20-15 character and exemplifies why players will argue she's one of the harder characters to be good at.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Ven, Onpu, and Fairess are all phenomenal players but I can't see Zelda doing anything relevant anytime soon, and Ven's 65th at Civil War is probably the best the character will do.

Oh, and Samsora made a Peach MU chart.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This reads more like a Samsora MU chart than a Peach one.

Interesting, but probably not accurate for your typical Peach main.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Smash 4 Peach does seem to have a record of little miss even matchup; float is just one of the most adaptable tools in the game, period. (Maybe the single most adaptable?) So I can actually buy it.

Gluttony's Wario looked better than ever in that set, but yet it was still a hard-fought set that arguably only won due to various missed techs on Fatality's part. Additionally, wouldn't Falcon be one of Wario's better matchups? Good luck getting those amazing gimps on Diddy or ZSS, much less Bayo...

What's the consensus on a modern Bayo matchup chart?

Broader bonus question: What does a full Bayo/Cloud/Diddy/Sheik/Sonic matchup chart look like in July 2017?

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Its kinda hard to make a definitve MU Chart for Bayo because her records vs many top and high tiers have been fluxiauating over the past year.

Certian MU's where she lost in the past.. :4diddy::4ness:.. possibly :4sheik::4luigi: as well . Her Top Mains have been doing reasonablly well going back and forth in the MU's .. Some or all of these can argued to be possibly even for Bayonetta if she plays the MU right

On the other hand other MU's where Bayo thought to have a big advantage :4fox::4cloud2: have had the reverse outcomes over time . FoxIts likey now only slightly winning for Bayo and Cloud now looks even or possibly slightly in Clouds advantage

Its like not worth much but here are my estimates on a few relevant MU's for Bayo

Slight advantage. :4sonic::4mewtwo::4zss::4fox::4ryu:

Even :4marth:/:4lucina: :rosalina::4diddy::4ness::4pikachu::4luigi:

Even to slight disavantage

:4sheik::4cloud2:

After UNLOCKED I say the Pika MU looks near dead-even.

Someone who is such an expert on SDI , The top Pika main and claims Pika wins the MU would have a more dominating record vs Bayo mains

Last edited:

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Onpu got 17th, yes.
The thing about Onpu's 17th is that he got there with only two notable wins (Fuwa and Lea), both players who are not quite top tier Japanese threats. I don't remember who Ven got through at Civil War, but with how much national and international talent was at the tournament it was probably just as if not more notable.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
If you exclude ZeRo, Sheik was #1 in wins for +100 entrant tournaments from January 1st-June 30th.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
so only 17 were characters not listed.....I think I did that right. I assumed it meant 8 for each character listed and not 8 for the whole group.....

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Been more busy than usual lately so I decided to make this :4sheik:MU spread to keep my head in things.
I tend to go by maps and tried to keep it as realistic as possible.
Here are some notable examples:
:4diddy:wins on BF, goes even on DL, loses on FD, loses on SV, goes roughly even(maybe slight his favour) on T&C, and goes even or loses on Lylat. However, none of the map counterpicks are very significantly going to impact gameplay. Conclusion? Sheik has a slight advantage or even matchup.
:4bayonetta:wins on BF, wins on DL, loses pretty roughly on FD, loses on SV, loses on T&C, and goes even on Lylat. Therefore, Sheik has a definite slight advantage.
:rosalina:wins on BF, wins on DL, loses on FD, even on SV, wins on Lylat, wins on T&C. Therefore, Sheik's at a slight disadvantage.
Back to Starforce I go.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Weighing in, T and Scizor both think :4link: beats :4peach: +1. Considering Link's angled boomerang, low landing lag, Fair, Zair and lasting power I find this believable. Cat thinks it's even.
:4bayonetta2: beats Link -1.5 according to Cat, -.5 by Scizor and it's even by T. IMO it's -1.
Source.

NairWizard

Somewhere
--
I suppose I need to say something else.
Regarding Mewtwo vs Marth, some people here are sleeping on the power of Mewtwo's neutral imo. Despite that his extremely good neutral is the crux of his viability and without it he would be mid tier. Everyone knows that SBall, dtilt, and fair are some of the best neutral options of any character, and so are things like Confusion (one of the most underappreciated moves in the game - a large command grab that's very viable to use in neutral, can be used out of a dash and forces you to use either use your double jump against Mewtwo or face a tech situation, again against Mewtwo, that is also a reflector and has movement applications - the move is amazing.) And of course his movement is excellent too.
So we have some of the strongest neutral tools in the game on a character with incredible mobility and multiple win conditions which can be set up off of a single hit. And people aren't even using his down smash in neutral yet. (why not? It's so good)
There's nothing inherently linear about it imo. I know neutral is as linear or not as the player makes it but there are some characters with neutrals that can only be linear and Mewtwo certainly isn't one.
Mewtwo, better than Marth in neutral? I don't think so, I'd give the edge (literally) to Marth on this one. The main reason is that Marth has way better forward-facing arcing hitboxes: f-air, f-tilt, Dancing Blade, and even jab or n-air. Just one of these moves is better than Mewtwo's entire kit at dealing with short hopping opponents or stuffing other grounded movement options, but Marth has like five. Mewtwo's d-tilt is a great move, similar to Marth's own d-tilt, but it doesn't hit an aerial opponent, and f-air has too small of a hitbox to be used in a wide variety of situations in neutral. Think about playing against Lucas or Ness as they short hop all over the place. Marth has a much easier time stuffing their empty short hops into f-air (+z-air for Lucas); he can just pivot f-tilt or reaction f-air when he sees them go into the air. Mewtwo's gotta play around with shield a lot more in the same situation because his f-air has too small of a hitbox to be used against most short hop spacings and d-tilt only hits grounded opponents. This leaves him prone to getting dashgrabbed sometimes or tomahawked.

The effect of this is that Marth is much better at reactive set play than Mewtwo is, and given their swordsman archetype this matters a lot. Mewtwo's mixup game is probably a little better because of his SHAD game, Shadow Ball, and that crazy dash attack. But Marth doesn't do too shabby here either, because he has by far the better tomahawk game; his grab has both more range and better frame data than Mewtwo's, and his jumps are far less awkward. Marth's advantage in reactive play is much larger than Mewtwo's advantage in mixups, though, so Marth wins neutral.

The main flaw of Mewtwo's neutral is his poor options to hit behind him (which is a flaw he shares with Marth but is def more pronounced with Mewtwo) but as people start applying perfect pivots more often, and combined with the current stagelist, this is certainly not a crippling flaw.
Marth can just Dancing Blade or even Dolphin Slash a crossup, though, Mewtwo's fastest option is like frame 7.

And people aren't even using his down smash in neutral yet. (why not? It's so good)
Because it does nothing to address Mewtwo's issues with short hops in neutral. It's nice to have a move that's pretty safe on shield/whiff at a different spacing from d-tilt, but at the same time, perfect pivot d-tilt is just as good and hard to punish, so the move is somewhat redundant.

In case my opinion wasn't obvious, Mewtwo is far and away the better character. Marth is very good too obviously but I am of the opinion Mewtwo is on another level.
I think Mewtwo has a clearly better disadvantage state but a comparable advantage state (Marth's ledgetrapping is better, and Shieldbreaker is extremely deadly). In neutral, Marth is clearly better.

Thus to me it seems like Marth is the better character, though of course in the end it comes down to matchups rather than evaluations of the characters in a vacuum.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
EVO Beta pools are out! Nothing in these is final, and due to how it's formatted, Round 1 pools is going to be really pointless to talk about here, so I'm going to to over hypothetical early matchups in round 2 pools, barring upsets.

Disclaimer: The spoiler below contains entirely hypothetical matches that may not happen due to changes in pool and upsets, this is a sorta-guess based on a projected beta bracket, and this should not be taken as the truth.
G200: Nairo :4zss: vs FOW :4ness: is the predicted winners finals of the pool, and I think FOW could give Nairo a real run for his money. Also projected to be in this pool are Saj. :4bayonetta2:, Mr. E :4marth: :4lucina:, Pugwest :4marth:, and DKWill :4dk:, with only one of these four making it out alive, assuming they don't upset either Nairo or FOW.

Interesting potential matchups: Mr. E :4marth: vs Pugwest :4marth:, Mr. E :4marth: vs Saj. :4bayonetta2:, FOW :4ness: vs Mr. E :4marth:

Other wildcards: Bt. Yamato :4littlemac:, Wii Twerk Trainer :4wiifit: :4miigun:

~~~~

G201: Larry Lurr :4fox: vs Tsu- :4lucario: is the projected winners finals here. Given the matchup, I feel like Larry's DK could probably make an appearance, as well as Tsu-'s Ryu for the DK or even the Fox. Ac :4metaknight: :4falco: is projected to fight Tsu-, which could probably go either way. How easy is it for MK to Ladder Lucario? There's also a ton of wildcards in this pool, including Rain :4cloud2:, JJROCKETS :4diddy:, Kogarasuma :4lucina:, and Aarvark :4villager:.

Interesting potential matches: Tsu- :4lucario: vs Kogarasuma :4lucina:, Ac :4metaknight: :4falco: vs JJROCKETS :4diddy:

~~~~

G202: VoiD :4sheik: vs Raito :4duckhunt: is the projected winners finals here. I'm pretty sure these two have played before, at CEO Dreamland, and the matchup seems pretty bad for DHD all things considered, so I'd say VoiD is pretty heavily favoured here, although Raito will put up a fight. To get to Winners finals, VoiD has to fight Umeki :4peach:, a matchup that Sheik mains have had issues with, while Raito has to fight Rich Brown :4mewtwo:. I wouldn't be surprised if either of these two got upsetted, although between the two I'd say Umeki's more likely to beat VoiD than Rich is to beat Raito.

Interesting potential matches: Umeki :4peach: vs Konga :4dk:, Rich Brown :4mewtwo: vs DJ Jack :4ryu:, Rich Brown :4mewtwo: vs Konga :4dk:, Rich Brown :4mewtwo: vs Umeki :4peach:

Other wildcards: Konga :4dk:, Deathorse :4mewtwo:, DJ Jack :4ryu:

~~~~

G203: KEN :4sonic: vs ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: here. I think it's unlikely ANTi will stay Mario for the whole thing, and he usually tries ZSS vs Sonic over any other character. I'd favour KEN here, although I don't know what his record vs Choco is so I'm not really sure how he fares vs ZSS, or how ANTi's Cloud will impact it. ikep :4bayonetta2: is projected to fight KEN, and I'm not sure if he's beaten KEN before but that's an upset waiting to happen potentially. ANTi, on the other hand, has to face Myran :4olimar:, which could also easily go Myran's way, although obviously ANTi is favoured.

Other wildcards: John Numbers :4wiifit:, Ven :4zelda:, SS :4villager: :4ness:

Interesting potential matches: John Numbers :4wiifit: vs Myran :4olimar:, ikep :4bayonetta2: vs SS :4ness:, ikep :4bayonetta2: vs John Numbers :4wiifit:, ikep :4bayonetta2: vs Myran :4olimar:

~~~~

G204: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4metaknight: :4bayonetta2: vs Locus :4ryu:, in what's otherwise a pretty quiet pool. I'd say Aba is the more likely of the two to come out on top, but this one could honestly go either way. Aba may also go Rosa, although that's unlikely, and I doubt Locus's Bayo is ready for this. The only other super notable people in this pool are Dath :4robinf: and Lima :4bayonetta2:.

Interesting potential matches: Dath :4robinf: vs Abadango :4mewtwo:, Lima :4bayonetta2: vs Dath :4robinf:

~~~~

G205: Mr. R :4sheik: :4cloud2: vs Elegant :4luigi: is projected here. I'd favour Mr. R here based on matchup, and I don't think they've fought Sheik-Luigi, have they? I know Mr. R went Cloud vs him at a MSM. Mr. R notably could to fight DarkShad :4ryu:, and while I don't doubt he's improved in the matchup since his loss to Locus last december, it's still a possible upset.

Other wildcards: Tyrant :4metaknight: (I doubt he'll beat Elegant otherwise I'd have put him up there ^), Bloodcross :4fox: :4charizard:, Xaltis :rosalina:

Interesting potential matches: Tyrant :4metaknight: vs Bloodcross :4fox: :4charizard:, Xaltis :rosalina: vs DarkShad :4ryu:,

~~~~

G206: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk: vs Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik:. I think Kameme won the last time they played, but I'm not sure? I could see this starting as Cloud-Mega Man but switching to DK-Sheik by the end of the set. Might also see Kameme's Yoshi vs the DK, he did that vs M2K's DK. Eon :4fox: is also projected to face Tweek in semis of the pool, and he has beaten Komo twice, so there's the possibility for an upset there. Luhtie :4zss: faces Kameme, but I think Kameme's Sheik will be able to handle that.

Other wildcards: Ri-ma :4tlink:, Vinnie :4sheik: :rosalina:

Interesting potential matches: Eon :4fox: vs Ri-ma :4tlink:, Vinnie :4sheik: :rosalina: vs Eon :4fox:, Luhtie :4zss: vs Ri-ma :4tlink:, Ri-ma :4tlink: vs Vinnie :4sheik: :rosalina:

~~~~

G207: Kirihara :rosalina: vs Fatality :4falcon:. Kirihara's in some serious trouble here. He's fallen to Fatality in the past, and Japan in general gets hard countered by Falcon, so it'll be very rough for him. Interestingly enough, they both fight good Foxes to get to winners finals in ZD :4fox: and NAKAT :4fox: :4ness: :4lucina:. ZD's beaten Fatality in the past, but it's NAKAT that fights Fatality this time, and I could definitely see the upset happening.

Other wildcards: Blacktwins :4cloud2: :4mario:,

Interesting potential matches: NAKAT :4fox: :4ness: :4lucina: vs Blacktwins :4cloud2: :4mario:, NAKAT :4fox: :4ness: :4lucina: vs ZD :4fox: (I think he'll go Ness)

~~~~

H200: ZeRo :4diddy: vs Nietono :4sheik:. Unfortunately, ZeRo's so good at the Sheik matchup that I can't see Nietono putting up much of a fight here. Stranger things have happened, and I'm not going to count Nietono out completely, but it's a very hard fight for him. SGK :4sonic: gets her runback vs ZeRo in semis of the pool, and Sonics have been regularly pushing ZeRo to game 5 recently, so I think the biggest chance for a ZeRo upset lies with her. Nietono fights Edge in a japanese teamkill, and I think Edge has a fair shot of taking it over Nietono, leading to a Diddy Ditto finals of the pool.

Other wildcards: Seagull Joe :4sonic: :4diddy:, ImHip :4olimar: :4duckhunt:, FILIP :4mario: :4cloud2:

Interesting potential matches: SuperGirlKels :4sonic: vs Seagull Joe :4sonic: :4diddy:, Edge :4diddy: vs Nietono :4sheik: ImHip :4olimar: :4duckhunt: vs Nietono :4sheik:, Edge :4diddy: vs SuperGirlKels :4sonic:

~~~~

H201: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: :4corrinf: :4metaknight: vs WaDi :4mewtwo: :4rob:. If Leo aba is any indication, Leo has a firm grasp on this MU, and while WaDi plays quite a bit different from Aba, I still think it's heavily favoured for Leo. Perhaps more interestingly, WaDi plays Earth :4pit: :4corrinf: in semis. I'd say Earth has a better chance against Leo than WaDi, but Earth has to beat WaDi first, which could be difficult.

Other wildcards: Xzax :4fox:, False :4sheik: :4marth:

Interesting potential matches: WaDi :4mewtwo: vs Earth :4pit:, Xzax :4fox: vs MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth:, Earth :4pit: vs False :4sheik: :4marth:, Xzax :4fox: vs Earth :4pit:

~~~~

H202: Ally :4mario: faces off against MVD :4diddy:. MVD's gotten a ton better and I think he'll make Ally work for it, but Ally's also most likely the best in the world against Diddy, if his wins vs ZeRo are any indication. Ally has to face Chanshu :4ryu: in semis, which I think is good upset potential, considering how good Chanshu is. MVD also fights Wrath :4sonic:, which will be a real test of his patience.

Other wildcards: KOSSismoss :4gaw:, Charliedaking :4fox: :4sheik:

Interesting potential matches: Chanshu :4ryu: vs KOSSismoss :4gaw:, Wrath :4sonic: vs Charliedaking :4fox:, Wrath :4sonic: vs Chanshu :4ryu:, Chanshu :4ryu: vs Ally :4mario:

~~~~

H203: Dabuz :rosalina: vs 9B :4bayonetta2: is the projected finals here. Kinda like with Ally/MVD, I can see 9B putting up a good fight, but Dabuz is one of the best in the world vs Bayonetta. They did play before at Shots Fired 2, but that was a patch ago and both Dabuz and 9B have changed styles to be more offensive since then. Dabuz faces Takera :4ryu: in semis of the pool, and while I think Takera is a top 2 Ryu in regards to skill, he's got one heck of a challenge for him in Dabuz. 9B faces Static Manny :4sonic: in semis, in what could be the longest set of the tournament.

Other wildcards: K9Sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy:, 8BitMan :4rob: :4diddy:

Interesting potential matches: 9B :4bayonetta2: vs Static Manny :4sonic:, Takera :4ryu: vs Static Manny :4sonic:, Takera :4ryu: vs 8BitMan :4rob: :4diddy:, K9Sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy: vs Static Manny :4sonic:

~~~~

H204: Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Falln :rosalina:. I'm curious to see if Salem's inability to beat Dabuz is a Rosa problem or a Dabuz problem, and I guess we might get an idea of that here. Falln has to run a Bayo gauntlet actually, he fights JK :4bayonetta2: in semis. Salem, on the other hand, fights Eim :4sheik:. That could be interesting since Sheik is being considered to be somewhat worse off for Bayo now(?), although given most of japan's DI/SDI habits vs Bayo, I'm not holding my breath.

Other wildcards: Sol :4littlemac:, Vash :4littlemac:

Interesting potential matches: Falln :rosalina: vs JK :4bayonetta2:, Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Eim :4sheik:, JK :4bayonetta2: vs Eim :4sheik:

~~~~

H205: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic: vs Samsora :4peach:. Finally, a bracket where it looks like Samsora doesn't have to fight a good MK! That being said, Komo's going to be no easy task, either with Cloud or with his incredibly patient Sonic. Komo vs Ryuga :4corrinf: in semis is going to be interesting, as Ryuga's actually really good and could be a huge threat to Komo. Samsora runs the Mario gauntlet of RFang :4mario: and Zenyou :4mario: to get to Komo, although Peach appears to be one of Mario's hardest matchups.

Other wildcards: RFang :4mario:, Captain L :4pikachu:

Interesting potential matchups: Captain L :4pikachu: vs Ryuga :4corrinf:, Ryuga :4corrinf: vs Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic:, Ryuga :4corrinf: vs Zenyou :4mario:

(Captain L got a super unforgiving bracket, damn)

~~~~

H206: Projected finals is Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: :4wiifit: vs Zinoto :4diddy:. Is the Diddy-Bayo matchup still considered Bayo's worst, or are people saying it's Cloud now? Regardless, this one's going to be interesting, or possibly another display of Bayo planking. Will Zinoto fare better against it than MVD? Zack fights Cosmos :4corrinf: in semis, and Cosmos did beat Zack kinda convincingly recently, so that's going to be something to watch out for.

Other wildcards: Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2: (Very doubtful he'll beat Zinoto), Ling Ling :4peach:

Interesting potential matches: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: vs Cosmos :4corrinf:, Zinoto :4diddy: vs Cosmos :4corrinf:, Ling Ling :4peach: vs Pink Fresh, Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2: vs Cosmos :4corrinf:

~~~~

H207: This is the pool to watch out for. Finals is currently projected to be Ranai :4villager: vs ESAM :4pikachu:, which I'd say ESAM, who's been playing on fire recently, would probably take. Ranai vs DLC is back again, this time in the form of Tyroy :4bayonetta2:. I can't remember how Ranai does vs Bayos at the minute. ESAM fights Dyr :4diddy: in semis, and all his practice vs MVD should let him handle Dyr fairly easily.

Other wildcards: Mekos :4lucas:, IcyMist :4samus:, Mistake :4bayonetta2: :4zss:, IxisNagus :4sonic:

Interesting potential matches: Ranai :4villager: vs IcyMist :4samus:, Tyroy :4bayonetta2: vs Mekos :4lucas:, Mekos :4lucas: vs IcyMist :4samus:, Dyr :4diddy: vs Mekos :4lucas:, Mistake :4bayonetta2: :4zss: vs Tyroy :4bayonetta2:, Dyr :4diddy: vs Mistake :4bayonetta2: :4zss:

~~~~
Again, this is all just off of the beta pools, and projected seedings, so this could be fairly off by the time EVO rolls around in two weeks. I also want to emphasize these are round 2 pools, not round 1 pools, as I found halfway through a round 1 pool post that it was really pointless since no exciting matches were happening until R2 pools.

I spent way more time on this than I should have.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Smash 4 Peach does seem to have a record of little miss even matchup; float is just one of the most adaptable tools in the game, period. (Maybe the single most adaptable?) So I can actually buy it.

Gluttony's Wario looked better than ever in that set, but yet it was still a hard-fought set that arguably only won due to various missed techs on Fatality's part. Additionally, wouldn't Falcon be one of Wario's better matchups? Good luck getting those amazing gimps on Diddy or ZSS, much less Bayo...
As a matter of fact...

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416

What's the consensus on a modern Bayo matchup chart?

Broader bonus question: What does a full Bayo/Cloud/Diddy/Sheik/Sonic matchup chart look like in July 2017?
Diddy is one of the easiest of the top tiers to gimp for Wario.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
About the potential of Ryuga vs Komorikiri in semis, I feel it will be less interesting then you said. Ryuga has cloud problems and even says it's Corrins worst matchup so I feel Komo will easily make finals of the pool.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...T85AhPJmTiocxsLch_4nrk4ssY/edit#gid=840311788

I'll do pool analysis when pools are finalized on the 7th but these are the preliminary round 2 pools for EVO. High upset potential in every pool with Bo3 going on. 42/50 PGRv3 attending. A couple of these Round 2 pools have upwards of 7 players that could easily make a large upset.

Preliminary seeding indicates Winners Top 32 Qualifiers sets are;

Nairo vs. FOW
Larry Lurr vs. Tsu
VoiD vs. Raito
KEN vs. ANTi
Abadango vs. Locus
Mr. R vs. Elegant
Tweek vs. Kameme
Kirihara vs. Fatality
ZeRo vs. Nietono
MKLeo vs. WaDi
Ally vs. MVD
Dabuz vs. 9B
Salem vs. falln
komorikiri vs. Samsora
Captain Zack vs. Zinoto
Ranai vs. ESAM

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I think this is pretty accurate for DK, although I do have to question ZSS in even.

Also, how do you only get the single hit of Wario's Dair like that? I can understand trading with a hit, but Gluto got it vs Jr, a character without a hitbox on his Up-B...

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Surprised to see Mario at 4.5 for DK when it was thought forva long time that DK had an advantage

Bayo at 4.0 too? Yea I know she can combo and edgegaurd him offstage for free. But ya cannot deny how strong Ding-Dong is vs her. Maybe 4.5 for DK becuase of that

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
Also, how do you only get the single hit of Wario's Dair like that? I can understand trading with a hit, but Gluto got it vs Jr, a character without a hitbox on his Up-B...
By getting the very corner hitbox and drifting away before it is able to connect with another hitbox. Really hard to do intentionally. Adding fast falling makes it easier to get, but there is higher chance that you will SD while trying.
Hitboxes of the before the finisher:

Last edited:

Poisonous

Smash Cadet
I think this is pretty accurate for DK, although I do have to question ZSS in even.

Doing a rising dair is a much easier way to force the semi-spike, or going for a trade vs moves like firefox/corrin's upb. Rising dair is known to have chars fall out of it the most, which is why dair OoS isn't always a good idea vs med-height chars at kill %s since they'll sometimes just plop out.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...T85AhPJmTiocxsLch_4nrk4ssY/edit#gid=840311788

I'll do pool analysis when pools are finalized on the 7th but these are the preliminary round 2 pools for EVO. High upset potential in every pool with Bo3 going on. 42/50 PGRv3 attending. A couple of these Round 2 pools have upwards of 7 players that could easily make a large upset.
Ryuga in the same pool as Komorikiri, Samsora, and Zenyou. Cosmos in the same pool as Captain Zack, Zinoto, and Pink Fresh. Only two in each pool makes it out? Three bad MUs for Cosmos, one for Ryuga. Will either of them pull off an upset?

Will we see any Earth Corrin or MkLeo Corrin? That would be hype too.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
My thoughts on TDK's EVO post:
While Fatality seems to be the best counter the US has to Japan, and did beat Kirihara, it should be noted it was game 5, with Kirihara almost getting the reverse 3-0 iirc.
I really, really, REALLY want to see SuperGirlKels beat ZeRo. She did so well vs him at Royal Flush, I think she can definitely pull it off.
While Captain L's bracket is very hard for him, it could be a tiny bit worse. There is a small possibility of him fighting his way to Komo, Idk if Komo has experience vs Pika, but Pika is regarded as not good for Cloud, so Captain L has a small chance of making an upset if he gets the momentum.

Also since you said these were r2 pools......keep in mind anything's possible in r1 pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom