• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Why does :4lucas: suck against :4greninja:? I mean Taiheita does well against Some and Oisiitofu, not to mention iStudying lost to TylerDX at Icarus III.
Greninja pretty much makes neutral difficult for him, as Lucas finds it really hard to get in with his terrible range outside of Z-air and PK Fire with Greninja's shurikens, f-air and f-tilt kinda walling him out oftentimes. Not to mention the mobility difference; trying to hit a Greninja being evasive and annoying as possible is an uphill battle for lUcas. Greninja can also juggle pretty hard; Lucas has some nice landing mixups, but overall he's not great at landing against Greninja. As smallers aspect of the MU, Gren being able to Shadow Sneak out of n-air is a bit problematic at low percents and if Greninja catches Lucas's jump and he's not within range of tether grabbing the ledge, the Hydro Pump is more free than with Ness. Even though Taiheita was able to make it close vs. Oisiitofu, you can see why the matchup would be hard in the set they had.

Of course you'll see Lucas' be able to win it as with almost any matchup in this game especially with the powerful kill setups Lucas has, but it's agreed to be +1 or +2 in Greninja's favor, probably tied with Luigi as Gren's best matchup vs another high tier (before any of you bring up Stroder vs Concon last night with Luigi, Stroder hates playing "lame" vs anyone he doesn't absolutely have to. Stroder was doing a very good job of abusing Luigi at the ledge and offstage and played well at mid-range for the most part, but he didn't Shuriken or Hydro Pump in neutral a single time and gave Luigi too many grabs and punishes by playing so close.). It is not a meme as some person was saying above me.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
hm, i actually don't think this is an accurate representation of their matchups

let's take a top 12 (order here doesn't matter) to be :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox::4mario::4mewtwo::4zss:

if we look at this, bayo has a strong advantage over :4fox: plus slight advantages over :4zss::4mewtwo::4marth::4lucina::4mario:, and goes even with :4sheik::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4cloud2:

diddy has a strong advantage over :4zss::4mewtwo: and goes even with :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox: while losing to :4mario:

feel free to argue with me on particular matchups, but i'm confident that that bayo's mus vs the top 12 are better than diddy's
Marth, Lucina, Mario, and Mewtwo are all pretty even. I'd honestly argue Mario beats Bayonetta
I would also argue Diddy beats Marcina

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's a meme that Greninja is supposed to be Lucas' worst MU but to be fair there is some grounding in it. Basically, you beat Lucas if you can force him to approach you because Lucas can't approach to save his life. Greninja does that very well, and Lucas can be overwhelmed in footsies if he isn't careful. That's mostly due to a combination of Greninja's low profile, large disjoints, general speed.
Obviously Lucas has plenty to fight back. It's not a wash-out (pun intended), it was mostly a poorly-conveyed joke so my b.
I imagine Greninja's upB water is great for gimping Lucas' recovery too.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
As for Lucas, our down throw to up air confirm is true starting from around 0% (regardless of DI) but it will not start taking stocks until we meet the right conditions as far as Lucas rage and the opponent's percents goes. If an opponent is likely to airdodge not knowing that our confirm is true we can extend the percent it will work at by waiting for the airdodge to end and punish it.

The reason some of us do not use up air at early percents is because it can stale our up air if we decide to use it later in the match when it is time to take stocks and dair is our aerial that deals the most damage so some of us would use that instead.

As for up air outside of the kill confirm, I have heard in the server thar our up air is safe on shield as far as landing go and it can be used when falling or for hitting through platforms if lucas is below them.

But since our up air hitbox is really small and is a fixed hitbox that will not move with Lucas's head it is reallly frowned upon in the server since it is too hard to hit or too much work so the thought of landing with it is written off and discouraged.

Going back to the down throw up air confirm, once it stops working our up throw is guaranteed to kill since the percent gap between our up air confirm and up throw are literally next to each other.

As for greninja being our worst matchup, that is the answer the server usually replies with due to what PK Bash said earlier, along with the fact that Greninja along with Palutena and Fox are written off for our footstool combos since it is difficult to land footstool combos on them starting from 0 to low to mid percents (30% to 70% for me as an example). So that is discouraged too.

Another thing is that some of our western Lucas mains in the server tend to get knocked out in pools of tournies that they attend further popularizing that greninja is our worst matchup. Then there is the vod of Mekos vs Greninja in a wifi tourney where he lost which can make the feeling sink in that we lose the matchup.

Video: https://youtu.be/-aqbbqOclbY

I made a long post about the greninja matchup for Lucas that talks about options both have in the matchup in the 4br V2 thread.

Either I plan to edit this post with it, or after someone comments, I'll make a new post that will just a copy and paste of my old Greninja post.

If you guys want the charts for our up throw and up air kill percents. I can share them or you can snag them from the lucas discord server.

EDIT: Besides the Lucas mains in Europe, Luco also thinks differently about the greninja matchup and does not think the matchup is as horrible as our server makes it out to be since he has Waveguider, a wii fit and greninja main in his area.

EDIT 2 (Found it):

"From the discussions held in the Lucas Discord, I think this opinion is based on multiple Lucas mains losing to Greninja players in offline tournaments. Some of us say that it's due to Lucas have trouble hitting Greninja on the ground with his idle pose (slightly lowers his hitbox) and having a hard time landing footstool to jablocks on him. Uncharged water shurikens are hard for some Lucas players to punish or get around due to the lack of hit-stun applied when we reflect it with our f-smash. The uncharged water shurikens can be shielded by Greninja (if I'm right) if he spaces them well; they also can cut off some of Lucas's aerial approaches from afar since they are fast which can frustrate Lucas players if they get hit by them.

Even if they decide to take a grounded approach they will still have to deal with the shurikens which seems to be a hassle for the Discord Lucas players right now. Furthermore, a fully charged shuriken can be shielded by Greninja unless thrown near or at point blank range.

Next there's Greninja's Hydro pump which can disrupt Lucas's PK Thunder recovery. I do not have much to say on that besides adapting, mixing up pkt angles, mixing up recovery, and getting to know PKT 1 (the orb) better so if a Lucas does get blasted away by Hydro Pump during their PKT 1 they may have a better chance at surviving and making it back to the stage.

Greninja's air to air combat is fine, his bair comes out at frame 5 which beats all of our aerials, while his up air comes out at frame 7 which is the same for Lucas's up air. Greninja's fair comes out on frame 16 and lasts until frame 17 so the whole hitbox is only 2 frames while have a lot of endlag (first active frame is 55) compared to Lucas's frame 9 fair (first active frame is 42). I think Lucas players should space their disjoints of fair while avoiding Greninja's fair air dodge read attempts.

Greninja's up-tilt is great for catching Lucas if he jumps right above Greninja or decides to land on top of Greninja with a nair. I'm not sure if Greninja's f-tilt is longer than Lucas's but I do know that ours has a disjoint so we can win a trade if they are both spaced, plus Lucas's f-tilt comes out quicker than Greninja's (frame 7 vs frame 10). The same can be said frame data wise for Jab 1 (frame 2 vs frame 3) and down tilt (frame 3 vs frame 9) plus ours has a disjoint at the very tip that is not a hurtbox.

Greninja's n-air comes out on frame 12 while also having a larger hitbox and base damage of 11 which makes for great shield stun vs Lucas's frame 7 n-air with a base damage of 2 with the final hit dealing 4 which can make for some very small shield stun.

Oh, I almost forgot greninja's footstool setups which can inflict a good amount of damage or take a stock at the right percents.

Conclusion: I think some players of Lucas Discord may get easily frustrated not having their way with Greninja, with their main concerns being gaining little to advantage in attempting to "counter" water shuriken, to greninja's size, and players going on tilt when hydro pumped offstage."

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
hm, i actually don't think this is an accurate representation of their matchups

let's take a top 12 (order here doesn't matter) to be :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox::4mario::4mewtwo::4zss:

if we look at this, bayo has a strong advantage over :4fox: plus slight advantages over :4zss::4mewtwo::4marth::4lucina::4mario:, and goes even with :4sheik::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4cloud2:

diddy has a strong advantage over :4zss::4mewtwo: and goes even with :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox: while losing to :4mario:

feel free to argue with me on particular matchups, but i'm confident that that bayo's mus vs the top 12 are better than diddy's
Fox bayo has shifted from strong advantage to just slight advantage. Fox has one job in the fight:don't get hit with fair string. Fox with better singular kill moves, higher mobility, and juggling potential can hold his own. And results wise we have seen fox recently beat bayo rather routinely.
Many people would also debate shiek and diddy aren't even for her but losing. Bayos chart isn't better than diddy because her lacking neutral game will also restrict her in some way shape or form against other elite characters.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
question that I'm genuinely curious about: who here would rather their character/main win a major over getting a buff? Seriously, if you had to choose, would you want a major win, or a buff? To me, that translates to "would you rather your character look better or actually be better". But I have a feeling some people here would want their character to win a major...
Late, but buff buff buff buff. I want strong characters not perspection changes.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You mean he beat both of them in singles?
Yep.

EDIT: So evidently, CaptainZack beat Nairo in part due to Bayonetta falling out of the gamewinning up b.

Just wanted to mention that since we had the ZSS discussion.

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
2GGC Greninja Saga:

Losses:
:4greninja: x4 teamkills ):
:4fox: x4 (NAKAT x2, Mudomo, Ghost)
:4diddy: x4 (ZeRo, Edge, Legit, Jtails)
:4villager: x2 (Ranai, Aarvark)
:4bayonetta: (CaptainZack)
:4mewtwo: (Rich Brown)
:rosalina: (falln)
:4sonic: (Captain Andrew)
:4mario: (ANTi)
:4ryu: (Locus)
:4metaknight: (Tyrant)
:4corrin: (L.Jey)
:4peach: (Razo)
:4dk: (Tweek)
:4lucas: (Mekos)

*2 players were left out based on discretion. Can't find a good way to say this other than being straight-up by saying their results in the past simply don't compare to the rest of the players. So if you notice that something is "missing," that's why.

Wins:
VoiD :4sheik: (Lea)
Aarvark :4villagerf: (Oisiitofu)
DSS :4metaknight: (Donquavious)
Zan :4tlink: (Somé)
Teb :4mario: (Donquavious)
Mekos :4lucas: (Oisiitofu)
Jtails :4diddy: (Somé)

Points of interest:
Please click this link if you wish to get a better understanding of what I'll be saying below (though keep in mind that this chart hasn't been updated since February 2016; this is planned to be updated some time after Greninja Saga).

:4fox: is currently only considered a slight disadvantage/-1 by a large majority of frogs. However, I've heard people argue it's potentially a disadvantage/-2, so it's interesting that this is the character he lost to the most this time around.

:4sheik: is seen as one of the frog's worst MUs at currently -2 by the majority of high/top frogs. Lea beating VoiD was a great accomplishment and the set was extremely close; I'd like to see how this MU progresses in the future.

:4sonic: is currently seen as the frog's worst MU at a solid -2. Interestingly enough, Captain Andrew, who eliminated Shiki, is the only one that any of the frogs happened to come across. This is a little unfortunate data-wise because we didn't get to see a ninja other than Somé to play out the MU at a top level.

:4diddy: is generally debated to be within the even to -1 area. This time around, he is tied with Fox for most amount of losses. Results alone for this particular tournament, and even overall, point to this MU definitely not being even, but we'll see if this trend continues in future tournaments.

:4greninja: teamkills definitely didn't help here. We missed out on seeing more MUs played out at a high/top level and it resulted in less ninjas placing higher than they could've possibly achieved; out of the ~13 high/top level frogs, only 6 made it to the top 48 bracket, and only one (Lea) made it to top 16.

Lower part of high tier seems to be the most accurate spot, with his peak being potentinally towards the middle of high tier. At least for now.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
2GGC Greninja Saga:

:4greninja: teamkills definitely didn't help here. We missed out on seeing more MUs played out at a high/top level and it resulted in less ninjas placing higher than they could've possibly achieved; out of the ~13 high/top level frogs, only 6 made it to the top 48 bracket, and only one (Lea) made it to top 16.
It's a frog eat frog world :crying:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
2GGC: Greninja Saga (350 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Ally :4mario:
2nd: Larry Lurr :4fox:
3rd: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic: :4lucina:
4th: ANTi :4mario: :4zss:
5th: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk: :4bayonetta2:
5th: Falln :rosalina:
7th: Mr. R :4sheik:
7th: Locus :4ryu:
9th: ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina: :4cloud2:
9th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2:
9th: NAKAT :4fox: :4dk:
9th: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2:
13th: Lea :4greninja:
13th: Elegant :4luigi:
13th: Edge :4diddy:
13th: Tyrant :4metaknight: :4sheik:
17th: Some :4greninja:
17th: Ranai :4villager:
17th: Nairo :4zss:
17th: Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
17th: Ac :4falco: :4metaknight:
17th: Phoenix :4sonic:
17th: Oisiitofu :4greninja:
17th: TLTC :4palutena:
25th: Elexiao :4greninja:
25th: VoiD :4sheik:
25th: Samsora :4peach:
25th: Eon :4fox:
25th: ImHip :4olimar: :4duckhunt:
25th: Soulimar :4olimar:
25th: Mekos :4lucas:
25th: Donquavious :4greninja:

Frogs outside of top 32:

iStudying - 33rd
Venia - 49th
Stroder -49th
NinjaLink - 65th
WaveGuider - 65th
Akashic - 65th
Shiki - 97th
Nova! - 129th
PHaZeX3R0 - 129th
IceArrow - 129th
Tempra - went 0-2

OUTFOXX'D AGAIN (114 Entrants) (Midwest)

1st: Ryuga :4corrinf:
2nd: 6WX :4sonic:
3rd: Ling Ling :4peach:
4th: Mystearica :4bayonetta2:
5th: Tyroy :4bayonetta2:
5th: DeuS :4dk:
7th: Percy :4mario: :4cloud2:
7th: Krow :4olimar: :4dk:

Note: DarkShad :4ryu: placed 9th.

Smash Lung Cancer (52 Entrants) (Florida)

1st: Child :4bayonetta2:
2nd: MuteAce :4peach:
3rd: DJ Jack :4ryu:
4th: Kai :4sheik: :4fox: :4sonic:

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Ally was playing out of his goddamn mind today
He earned his victory at Greninja Saga. He and ANTi showed Mario has still got it.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
2GGC: Greninja Saga (May 20th) (Southern California) (355 Entrants) (Category 4)
1st: C9 | Ally :4mario:
2nd: MSF | Larry Lurr :4fox:
3rd: 2GG | komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic::4lucina:
4th: IMT | ANTi :4mario:, :4cloud2:
5th: P1 | Tweek :4cloud2:, :4dk:
9th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:
9th: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo:, :4bayonetta:
9th: CLG | NAKAT :4fox:, :4lucina::4dk:
9th: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:, :4lucina:
13th: Tyrant :4metaknight:
13th: BSD | Elegant :4luigi:
17th: . Some :4greninja:
17th: Ac :4metaknight:, :4marth:
17th: NRG | Nairo :4zss:
17th: PG | Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
17th: 2GG | Ranai :4villager:
17th: TLTC :4palutena: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
17th: Oisiitofu :4greninja: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: LH | Eon :4fox:
25th: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
25th: ImHip :4olimar:
25th: WYW | Soulimar :4olimar: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: Mekos :4lucas: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: Donquavious :4greninja: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: orKs | Elexiao :4greninja:, :4pacman: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Not to mention the obvious here but whenever Zero bombs out early who usually takes it once that happens? I mean who've been #1 in tournaments where Zero has lost? Do we have lists?
Zero doesn't lose too often but when he does the smash community typically has a collective freak out (at least in the past now we're just shrugging our shoulders happy someone else is taking it) and does Zero really have a tough time with Rosas or was he just unlucky?

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
2GGC: Greninja Saga (May 20th) (Southern California) (355 Entrants) (Category 4)
9th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:
9th: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo:, :4bayonetta:
9th: CLG | NAKAT :4fox:, :4lucina::4dk:
9th: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:, :4lucina:
13th: Tyrant :4metaknight:
13th: BSD | Elegant :4luigi:
17th: . Some :4greninja:
17th: Ac :4metaknight:, :4marth:
17th: NRG | Nairo :4zss:
17th: PG | Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
17th: 2GG | Ranai :4villager:
17th: TLTC :4palutena: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
17th: Oisiitofu :4greninja: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: LH | Eon :4fox:
25th: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
25th: ImHip :4olimar:
25th: WYW | Soulimar :4olimar: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: Mekos :4lucas: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: Donquavious :4greninja: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: orKs | Elexiao :4greninja:, :4pacman: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
Don't forget to add ZSS for ANTi. Took 2 games off Komo.

Actually, I don't even remember him using the Cloud, but I may just be forgetting.

EDIT: Wait vs Larry. But he lost all his Cloud matches vs Larry.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
2GGC Greninja Saga:

Losses:
:4greninja: x4 teamkills ):
:4fox: x4 (NAKAT x2, Mudomo, Ghost)
:4diddy: x4 (ZeRo, Edge, Legit, Jtails)
:4villager: x2 (Ranai, Aarvark)
:4bayonetta: (CaptainZack)
:4mewtwo: (Rich Brown)
:rosalina: (falln)
:4sonic: (Captain Andrew)
:4mario: (ANTi)
:4ryu: (Locus)
:4metaknight: (Tyrant)
:4corrin: (L.Jey)
:4peach: (Razo)
:4dk: (Tweek)
:4lucas: (Mekos)

*2 players were left out based on discretion. Can't find a good way to say this other than being straight-up by saying their results in the past simply don't compare to the rest of the players. So if you notice that something is "missing," that's why.

Wins:
VoiD :4sheik: (Lea)
DSS :4metaknight: (Donquavious)
Zan :4tlink: (Somé)
Teb :4mario: (Donquavious)
Mekos :4lucas: (Oisiitofu)
Jtails :4diddy: (Somé)

Points of interest:
Please click this link if you wish to get a better understanding of what I'll be saying below (though keep in mind that this chart hasn't been updated since February 2016; this is planned to be updated some time after Greninja Saga).

:4fox: is currently only considered a slight disadvantage/-1 by a large majority of frogs. However, I've heard people argue it's potentially a disadvantage/-2, so it's interesting that this is the character he lost to the most this time around.

:4sheik: is seen as one of the frog's worst MUs at currently -2 by the majority of high/top frogs. Lea beating VoiD was a great accomplishment and the set was extremely close; I'd like to see how this MU progresses in the future.

:4sonic: is currently seen as the frog's worst MU at a solid -2. Interestingly enough, Captain Andrew, who eliminated Shiki, is the only one that any of the frogs happened to come across. This is a little unfortunate data-wise because we didn't get to see a ninja other than Somé to play out the MU at a top level.

:4diddy: is generally debated to be within the even to -1 area. This time around, he is tied with Fox for most amount of losses. Results alone for this particular tournament, and even overall, point to this MU definitely not being even, but we'll see if this trend continues in future tournaments.

Lower part of high tier seems to be the most accurate spot, with his peak being potentinally towards the middle of high tier. At least for now.
Waveguider lost to Mekos.

Routa

Smash Lord
I heard that Mr R used Link. Is this true? All I know is that Falln tried to cheese out Ally with Gunner... I want to remind that Mario is horrible MU for Gunner due to Mario's amazing combo game, great burst options and having a reflector.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Mario is still top tier (of course), and Ally is still a strong contender for 2nd place. I think Fox might be a bit underrated by many, he could be #5 or #6. komorikiri Lucina was interesting and pretty strong too, at this point there's little reason to not put her right next to Marth. ANTi 4th place, proving that he's still an amazing player. Tweek won quite a bit with Donkey Kong, and watching his (and HIKARU's) Donkey Kong makes me think that it's possible that Donkey Kong is high tier (not quite sure though, his flaws are pretty significant and he has several bad MUs).

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Oh **** it actually happenend! Palutena Results!

Did Tweeks Bayo take a game or was it more like a desperate attempt?

Luigi player

Smash Master
I heard that Mr R used Link. Is this true? All I know is that Falln tried to cheese out Ally with Gunner... I want to remind that Mario is horrible MU for Gunner due to Mario's amazing combo game, great burst options and having a reflector.
Yeah he tried Link against Anti game 3, but lost. It wasn't going too bad, but Anti was at like 60 % on his last stock when he won.

Mr R also used Cloud (twice against Anti (but lost) and also against Falln), so it should probably be listed for the results.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I got to thinking about if the Cloud vs Mario MU is not really that bad for Mario. Ally has a pretty dominant record vs Clouds, much. more so than Marcina for sure.

Mario can do some crazy conversions off Cloud if he does manage to get a grab. Clever usage of FLUDD also makes the MU doable for Mario.

Marcina and Sonic still are a stuggle for Mario . But he does pretty well vs the rest of the top tiers

Last edited:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
I got to thinking about if the Cloud vs Mario MU is not really that bad for Mario. Ally has a pretty dominant record vs Clouds, much. more so than Marcina for sure.

Mario can do some crazy conversions off Cloud if he does manage to get a grab. Clever usage of FLUDD also makes the MU doable for Mario.

Marcina and Sonic still are a stuggle for Mario . But he does pretty well vs the rest of the top tiers
It's really bad, it's more that Ally as a player is really good at the MU.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I've talked and played with Ally before and he believes the MU is actually 50:50 (Cloud vs Mario)

His style is pretty naturally good against Cloud. It was very interesting to play him.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Elegant also does very well against Cloud, in an MU that should be the hardest of hard counters.

I'm just glad to have more data for that character archetype :p

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Elegant is kinda funny that way. He routnely does well vs characters that are supposedly terrible MU's for Luigi (Cloud, Sheik, Marcina) But tends to stuggle vs characters Luigi is thought to have winning MU's against. ( Diddy, Mario) Elegant has lost to Zenoyu repetedly the past few MSM's

The Plumbers can both do crazy combos on Cloud off of grabs (especially if Cloud has limit) and respective ways to mess with his recovery offstage. Those things seem to make the MU at least winnable to them

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Tweek has me thinking; what matchups are left uncovered by having Cloud / Bayonetta as your main and secondary? Tweek's Bayonetta is surprisingly good.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I'm back after much suffering in real life and having a tournament yesterday that left me near dead.

Really sad about all the Greninja team kills but 5 frogs in top 32 is still a good result. Shout outs to Lea for being amazing and Donquavious who really surprised me with how far he went, I didn't really know much about his skills as a player until now.

Now I really need to actually look at the matches because I've been really out of it recently.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Cloud vs Mario is even at worst for Mario if we are speaking at top level play but I personally think Mario has the slight edge actually(only slight, dont throw stones at me). Ally has beaten many different top tier Clouds. Positive record against Blacktwins, Ned, Tweek(pound 2016), went toe to toe with M2K last year, beat everyone who tried to counterpick Cloud against him like Zero, AnTi(whose Clouds are not pushovers) and recently beat Komo. He beat many different top Clouds here with different playstyles.

While Ally has incredible skill, he shouldn't being doing as good as he is doing vs Cloud if this MU is so bad like everyone is saying.

AnTi also beat Mr Rs Cloud with Mario recently and Zenyou does fine against Ned.

So in terms of top level results, I could make a case of Mario beating Cloud. But I will be arguing that Mario/Cloud is even.

In terms of tool interactions let's look at them:
Cloud has disjoints, mobilty and limit. How do they help against Mario? He can wall him out, juggle(Mario has to be careful about Nair or Dairing out of his juggles, he usually will trade with Clouds aerials) and his usual Limit bonus which gives him an extra advatage depending on the situation. Also Limit Cloud at the ledge is disgusting. Doesn't matter if you are Mario or someone else.

Mario has an extremly opressive punish game on Cloud, various gimmicks that can lead to early deaths(like jab lock, Fludd, setups into Fair ect) and strong burst options against Cloud. Clouds one weakness is his recovery and Mario is pretty strong offstage. Of course he is not going to edgeguard him all the time thanks to his mixups but his various gimmicks and the sheer verstality that Mario has off-stage, thanks to his aerials and his specials, will put heavy pressure on the Cloud. Also I don't think I need to mention what happens once Mario gets in on Cloud's fortress(Mario can lift castles afterall.)

Sounds pretty even for me. Looks like the classic Offense (Mario) vs Defense (Cloud)

Lastly I want to emphasize that while walling out Mario is effective, Cloud will take some serious risk doing that once he hits kill percent. Why are Marcina more troublesome for Mario than Cloud even though they have the same gameplan? Ground Pokes.

No-Limit-Cloud has basically no grounded poke that is safe on Mario's shield(except maybe PP F-tilt) while Marcina has SB, F-tilt, D-tilt+ their aerials to mix it up.
Well that is fine, Cloud still has his aerials to wall him out except that forces him to commit to short hoping. Remember when some people complained that player that are short hopping are just asking to get U-smashed? Once you are in Marios burst zone you have to be careful.
https://youtu.be/-HCHoFxMERg?t=7m30s.
That means Mario will get more opportunity to get in against Cloud than Marcina.
Also Fludd can put heavy pressure on short hoppers as well as it will send them at a really akward position, offstage or the ledge(which means Marios ledge trap time).

Mario/Cloud is not nearly as bad people claim to be. At worst even(my personal opinion is another topic).

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Cloud vs Mario is even at worst for Mario if we are speaking at top level play but I personally think Mario has the slight edge actually(only slight, dont throw stones at me). Ally has beaten many different top tier Clouds. Positive record against Blacktwins, Ned, Tweek(pound 2016), went toe on toe with M2K last year, beat everyone who tried to counterpick Cloud against him like Zero, AnTi(whose Clouds are not pushovers) and recently beat Komo. He beat many different top Clouds here with different playstyles.

While Ally has incredible skill, he shouldn't being doing as good as he is doing vs Cloud if this MU is so bad like everyone is saying.

AnTi also beat Mr Rs Cloud with Mario recently and Zenyou does fine against Ned.

So in terms of top level results, I could make a case of Mario beating Cloud. But I will be arguing that Mario/Cloud is even.

In terms of tool interactions let's look at them:
Cloud has disjoints, mobilty and limit. How do they help against Mario? He can wall him out, juggle(Mario has to be careful about Nair or Dairing out of his juggles, he usually will trade with Clouds aerials) and his usual Limit bonus which gives him an extra advatage depending on the situation. Also Limit Cloud at the ledge is disgusting. Doesn't matter if you are Mario or someone else.

Mario has an extremly opressive punish game on Cloud, various gimmicks that can lead to early deaths(like jab lock, Fludd, setups into Fair ect) and strong burst options against Cloud. Clouds one weakness is his recovery and Mario is pretty strong offstage. Of course he is not going to edgeguard him all the time thanks to his mixups but his various gimmicks and the sheer verstality that Mario has off-stage, thanks to his aerials and his specials, will put heavy pressure on the Cloud. Also I don't think I need to mention what happens once Mario gets in on Cloud's fortress(Mario can lift castles afterall.)

Sounds pretty even for me. Looks like the classic Offense (Mario) vs Defense (Cloud)

Lastly I want to emphahize that while walling out Mario is effective, Cloud will take some serious risk doing that once he hits kill percent. Why are Marcina more troublesome for Mario than Cloud even though they have the same gameplan? Ground Pokes.

No-Limit-Cloud has basically no grounded poke that is safe on Mario's shield(except maybe PP F-tilt) while Marcina has SB, F-tilt, D-tilt+ their aerials to mix it up.
Well that is fine, Cloud still has his aerials to wall him out except that forces him to commit to short hoping. Remember when some people complained that player that are short hopping are just asking to get U-smashed? Once you are in Marios burst zone you have to be careful.
https://youtu.be/-HCHoFxMERg?t=7m30s.
That means Mario will get more opportunity to get in against Cloud than Marcina.
Also Fludd can put heavy pressure on short hoppers as well as it will send them at a really akward position, offstage or the ledge(which means Marios ledge trap time).

Mario/Cloud is not nearly as bad people claim to be. At worst even(my personal opinion is another topic).

I really agree with this point. I also wanna expand on the last part about how Cloud's ground can really be a problem in this MU.

For any of you who are genuinely interested in this MU. Go sit down and watch a match of really any high level Cloud vs any high level Mario. Notice how almost every kill is from Up smashes? This isn't gonna be a complaint about Usmash, it's a very fair move.

I remember thinking that the Cloud players should know better than to jump around a lot at kill percent. But it really comes down to Cloud having terrible grounded pokes. He doesn't have a real poke. (Just to spread the knowledge, Mario can dash grab even a PP back Ftilt OoS).

Majority of Cloud's grounded buttons are whiff punish moves or anti-airs. But he does obviously have amazing movement, so it shouldn't be THAT difficult to get someone to swing. Especially if Cloud has limit, simple things like walking towards them is more than enough of a trigger to get them to do SOMETHING that you can punish.

I think one of the biggest things that will help Cloud in the future is Limit Climhazard out of shield. It's able to punish Up smash which is important. It really isn't THAT difficult to condition a Mario player to try and Usmash you. Tomahawk shield may be really useful.

I'm gonna keep developing Cloud's ground game on my own. His buttons may be really bad, but not abusing how good his movement is would be a waste

(That was a long wall to say like 3 things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom