• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Can we talk about shulk as far as matchups are concerned from the perspective of the users of this thread and their mains?

I would like it if we could try to get at least a page or two about him, back to back, like the marthcina conversations instead of only having the few shulk mains that talk in this thread speak up for their character.

Oh and if possible, can easy comparisons to other sword users be left out? I would like converation of Shulk's monado arts (infamously called modes and monadoes), tilts, aerials, and techniques to be discussed. Don't forget about air slash, vision, and backslash too.

If anyone needs a refresher on Monado Arts augments or Shulk's advanced tech, these two links can help a lot. I'll throw in a 3rd link that has match-up notes regarding the whole cast.

Monado Arts: http://shulk101.com/commentary

Advanced Techniques exclusive to Shulk (and a good amount can be replicated by Monado Arts Kirby): http://shulk101.com/tutorials

Match-up notes for the roster: http://shulk101.com/matchups

I find talking about this character very fun and love watching him do well on stream. Listening to commentators freak out and repeatedly saying short lines of monado, range, or another move when they pop off amuses me.

Love this character and conversation around him rather than just a few words or comparisons that usually (in my experience) just shut down discussion all together.

Thanks.

Maybe somebody who happens to know can confirm for me if Ness can do the same thing Lucas can do with PSI Magnet that stops him dying to Air Shooter regardless of %? (No it's nothing to do with absorbing it) If you know either way I'll love you forever. I can't see why Ness' wouldn't do this as well, but I never knew for sure and I can't test it.
Here is the answer to the question regarding Lucas and Ness PSI Magnet vs Mega Man's Air Shooter.

The reason Lucas is able to live is because our Magnet allows us to halt movement regardless if we ascend or descend; we can also use it multiple times during a single jump.

Meanwhile Ness can only use his magnet to stall momentum while ascending from his double jump.

Here is a video example so others can follow the conversation.

https://youtu.be/_6WKjVX72ck

I remember some months ago this question was asked in the Lucas or Ness discord awhile back.

I had to manually search your name up and go through your postings and read them to find the megaman comment since I think on mobile I am unable to tag you with @ since I got no drop down menu while searching.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Regarding T's track record this year, I'd say he's done pretty well as far as tournament placings, with the black spots being 49th at Frostbite and Sumaboto 17.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Once your out of Ding Dong percentages DK will have to fish or commit to a unsafe or hard punish/read. Outside of his Back air he's not landing a aerial on you if you don't run into them. His grounded options aside up tilt will not kill (his ftilt may but I don't know) and his smashes aren't quick enough to throw out like you would Mario's upsmash for example. Essentially if you have a way to force DK to approach once your past ding dong percentages (either with a percentage/stock lead or a harassing move) DK is going to have a bit of issue sealing the stock if your putting up a defensive wall. He's not hapless without Ding Dong but losing the option to use it definitely hurts.
Donkey Kong has 50/50's out of Cargo Up Throw after those percentages, along with a strong back throw. He also has jab 1 to reverse up tilt.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We rate character's "ease of use" and ability to pocket or secondary a lot more in Smash4 than other games, and I'm not entirely sure, but maybe most fighting games in general.
The only character that truly feels completely solo worthy is Bayonetta. Cloud is also kinda there, but there is undoubtedly easier alternatives in certain situations than just sticking to him; he has to know how to recover in different match ups, how to deal with the ground game of characters etc etc.
If I was to contrast this notion to Brawl, the early tier lists concentrated on character 'power level' and overtime meta and match up development pushed things in a more understandable direction.

First tier list had Snake as second in the game, and earlier on while not a majority, people still believed he could be no.1 in the game (that completely died after roughly 2 years; blame ally for it lasting longer than a year or so).
Dedede was third (or 4th if my memory is hazy) - his dominant reward from grab against more than 2/3rds of the cast made him insanely strong.

If we were to consider 'power level', then a stage wide cg for a minimum 20-30% into an edge guard ( dedede's was one of the best, I wish D3 still used his feet :sob: ), an up tilt that had invincibility and ko'd under 100% and insane weight was incredibly potent.
We could go on about Snake for a very long time, but being nigh unkillable weight, KOing under 100%, having the highest damage per hit in the game (forward tilt did 21%....), super range, a very difficult to overcome projectile/mechanic (grenades were insane), etc etc etc
Despite them ending up "top of mid tier" (or bottom of high, depending on your stances on stuff) and in the second half of top 10 and respectively, their sheer number and mechanic potency gave them an insane power level that took a really long time for people to see beyond from how they fared overall.
Ability to not get grabbed, ability to handle grenades (having to catch/instant throw them back, etc etc), i.e. 'counterplay' developed and pushed them down on a tier list that reflected tournament trends and popularity. Meta focus on characters which weren't as phased or could naturally negate their strengths, diminishing their worth as well.

But back to Smash4 - the popularity of characters seems pretty set in stone. Obviously Cloud and Bayonetta are becoming more popular overtime, and this will DEFINITELY impact the game in the medium to long term; actually, it very likely has at a local level for most people competitively active; just the fact the overall best players in the world aren't playing these characters and the discourse of our community being limited by what exists off of streams/videos (HAAAAAAAAAH) stops most people from seeing what will - with little doubt, eventually happen (but I don't think it'll be remotely as bad as what happened in Brawl).
But asides from that, there is truly very little delimiting factors that will consistently road block at higher levels, with fatal or mortally wounding implications on a character's popularity and relevancy. A character's power level matters more than highly nuanced understanding of all of their options and their usages across the spectrum. You didn't need to worry about Snake or Dedede because because chances were MKs would take them out along the way and/or you would have an MK you could use to dispatch them and the match up that determined 80% of your viability otherwise was just the one with MK.
In other words, the opportunity to see a character's strengths shine out are a lot more apparent in Smash4, and how a player deals with their shortfalls matters a lot less in any temporal scenario.

Now all of this just so I can say this one thing.
A tier list that reflects more about a character's maximum (and ease of it), rather than their less understood or exploitable minimums places Lucina a lot closer to Marth than how I would otherwise consider with an 'outdated' paradigm (or we'll come back to it eventually, who knows).
Cloud is obviously the best pick up and play character - we may see more nuanced and skillful play from Diddy players right now, but if you already had a strong character under your belt and wanted a near-pure buff to your repertoire, Cloud is more relevant than Diddy (basically, why would you pick up/learn Diddy if you already played other strong standard picks like Fox, Mario, Sheik, etc).
A character like Bowser or DK is very likely adding more to you than picking up Diddy would too. Rating these two characters towards high tier almost entirely for their maximum seems completely rational to me and personally makes tier lists quite difficult right now (\has been for close to a year as this has been looming in my mind for awhile). The popularity of potential road blocks such as ZSS or Rosa isn't changing despite their heavy increase in relevance - their minimum, or even their 'average' [match up/etc], doesn't seem to matter.
Marth is a higher depth/more complex character than his counterpart (intentional use of sour and sweet spots makes this an objective statement, pls don't get too uppity about it) - I also still believe he slightly edges Lucina out on average, whether that be in match ups, pressure, etc (it's an opinion, CHILL). Mastery of Marth takes more, and *may* have sizable leads over Lucina in some situations (I really don't care for tipper fsmash in my statements fyi). I do not feel the two characters play the same (Marth wants to put you in situations where his moves will auto tipper based on vertical/horizontal positioning, Lucina wants to diminish your options so she can fsmash or bair you freely) in the current meta - a meta where Lucina is a potent pocket, secondary or counterpick character due to her maximum being 'easier' than Marth's may arguably put her higher on a tier list viewed in this way. Crazy.
I'm still pretty adamant Marth is noticeably better as a sole character (doubt this will change, but who knows), but that doesn't matter in this metagame - you are playing Marth usually because you main him, and those having success with Lucina are using her for predetermined match ups where one doesn't need the additional benefits Marth has; she has disjoint, relative safety and KO power for traps/reads where you likely needed them over your alternative character and that's what tends to matter.

If I were to try to contemplate a tier list that encompasses what I'm saying, there would be two separate groups for each higher tier, and sometimes characters doubling up if necessary. Cloud's top 5 overall (imo), but is currently no.1 as an alternative pick up; Bowser and DK are arguably not 20 'on average' but are likely top 5 as alternative pick ups.

Oh yeah, ZSS :4zss: spiel.
Her power level is amazing, top 5, definitely. Anyone who thinks she is still top 5 or better understands her maximum but likely misunderstands the rest.
She isn't designed at a micro level to be easy, or 'actually top 5'. The gutting of her grab duration and the loss of guaranteed reward from grab was truly overkill and highlights the shortfalls (her minimums) a lot more because of it (she lost the only move she had with fantastic 'hitbox' coverage...)
Crazy thing: Zero Suit's back air has a bigger hitbox at max range than diddy's forward air, she can actually beat diddy's fair head on (Diddy's fair has more range though).
That's cool and all and really great, but that's just a single hitbox on her foot. This coolness only matters for 1/4th of her extension, the rest of her body is completely devoid of relevant hitboxes; she has to be near perfect or she'll whiff and lose out.
For example, she has to aim her foot at max range to hit Cloud's foot or head to beat his neutral air (unlike Marth who's arm is vulnerable, the hitbox sizes on Cloud negate one's ability to microspace against it), but if Cloud up airs instead at best she whiffs, but she will likely get hit; most other characters (and top tiers) don't have to deal with this dynamic, they'd still be able to pressure/hitconfirm because they can space to cover that hurtbox shifting (the grab duration nerfed meant her 50/50 from baiting/abusing her mobility for this went from reasonable to be consistent with to nigh improbable against any characters with good aerial acceleration).
Her nair at max range is incredibly small and her legs are completely exposed. ZSS has to commit to actually hit you with this move in neutral OR as a punish and it's completely free to whiff punish or anti air.
Bayo or Cloud SH retreating nairs out of shield and this covers 90% of options in a safe manner, they are not an overt commitment (insanely difficult to beat hitboxes/very favourable animations).
Rage is also hurting her a lot; loss of full jab combo, falling out of fsmash/up-b without any intent whatsoever, etc etc; when she's stuck in this paradigm of 'having to be that much more selective with the way she hits you' but can have her only possible punish option NOT WORK completely outside of her control is insanely detrimental.

Any time a ZSS plays well, she can look like a top 5 character.
But the stark contrast in intended ease/risk of commitment to Bayo/Cloud, despite having a similar maximum, makes her a liability in solo usage.
If you can con people to not ban town and city through alternative char use for the starter/your opponent's CP, then you have close to two near guaranteed wins (assuming you're even skilled/better) between T+C and BF/DL with her against most of the cast. That's pretty darn good tbh (like, really really good).
Nairo would've bested Void had he not messed up doing just this (holding onto ZSS for T+C counterpick). Problem is, it's hard to transition from characters with hitboxes everywhere to the precision requirements of ZSS on the fly.

Wew what a rant!

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
You can see this with quite a few characters, players like Shuton, Gungnir, and Tsu making their characters which normally have below average neutrals look very good in the neutral game, or Elegant having somehow found a way to somehow mitigate Luigi's poor mobility and traction with excellent powershields.
I thought Olimar was generally considered to have a solid neutral game by most people.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I thought Olimar was generally considered to have a solid neutral game by most people.
I meant "Mobility". I shouldn't make posts when I'm literal minutes from falling asleep.

Smashfield Weeklies 90 (64 Entrants) (Somewhere within the Midwest)

1st: ???? :4mewtwo:
2nd: Nero :4pikachu:
3rd: Blade :4sheik:
4th: Daybreak :4falco: :4cloud2: :4fox:

Too Ton

Smash Rookie
I have a question: Why was Bayonetta ranked #1 over Diddy Kong and Sheik when in her match ups Bayonetta goes even or loses in Sheik's case? Normally you only needed to have a good match up against the top 10ish so wouldn't Sheik actually win that anyway? (A site I went to listed everyone is unfavored against Sheik except an even match up against Diddy Kong)

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
:4bayonetta:beats both better and worse players harder than :4sheik:could ever hope to with far less effort. She's semi-immune to a lot of the game's common cheese while stomping on most characters below her.
It's very, very rare that you beat someone better than you while using Sheik without outplaying them for 90% of the game. :4bayonetta:has qualities in her kit that make doing so unnecessary.
Not trashing the character, but you can get comparable results at low mid and high(note: NOT top) level play with a fraction of the mental exertion by using Bayonetta over:4sheik:. Some people value that more, and I can't say I blame them.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Shaya Shaya
Your Marth and Lucina comparison reminds me...I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on Hyper's Roy and what this can mean in the future.

Btw, I have two FE char related questions
Who do you think the deeper char is between Marth and Roy, and who's the deepest FE char overall in smash 4?

Last edited:

Too Ton

Smash Rookie
:4bayonetta: is also a lot more misunderstood than Sheik :4sheik:.
As in misunderstood to be better than she actually is or the match up list misunderstands how she fares against her disadvantaged matchups where she actually is even?

Rizen

Smash Legend
As in misunderstood to be better than she actually is or the match up list misunderstands how she fares against her disadvantaged matchups where she actually is even?
Misunderstood because even though she's a witch, she's a good guy but Pat Robertson keeps telling people she's possessed.

Seriously, she has a lot of potential. I think people overlook her combos because you can DI out and need to look at her mix up potential. For example carrying characters offstage with Fairs. It's easy and puts you in an extremely dangerous situation. A large part of her game plan puts the opponent at a disadvantaged position. Ladders aren't guaranteed but can kill you very early if Bayo plays her cards right. IMO Bayo's future will revolve around dragging the opponent offstage more than to the ceiling.

Edit, did someone say Link has a good MU vs Bayo? It's not horrible, but it's not good. Don't learn a pocket Link for that MU, lol.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lots of bayo talk lately (and always lol but it's certainly warranted and almost always interesting) so I'm curious- what character is considered to have the best matchup vs her? I've heard some say sheik, especially on FD. Also heard more obscure choices like ness, took link or luigi
Lucario slaps her ****

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
Lucario slaps her ****
i always thought that Bayo struggled most against zoners and early kills.

Lucario fits this bill because he can kill Bayo really early. For example, in Game 4 in the set between Salem and Tsu @ Frostbite 2017, Tsu was at 201%, and then killed Salem @ 54% with a bair. Bayo's lightweight and tall posture makes it super easy to hit and therefore kill her early.

Another character that I see comes close to even with Bayo is Link. Bayo has a tough time approaching since most of her approach options are either not safe on shield, or too laggy to get anything off of it. Not only can Link capitalize on a bad option on shield with something like Grounded Spin-Attack or JC U-Smash, but Link packs a lot of power in most of his moves. Bayo may find herself dead after getting hit from a Fair at ~90%. Not to mention that Link can get out of ladder combos efficiently by holding a Bomb. The only place where Link struggles against Bayo is when Bayo is in his face and Link's low mobility prevents him from escaping a combo. Overall, I think that the MU is 55-45 in Bayo's favor.

I might be wrong about most of this, so correct me if I'm wrong lol. (Except the Frostbite VoD, that was so freaking hype!)

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Can we talk about shulk as far as matchups are concerned from the perspective of the users of this thread and their mains?

I would like it if we could try to get at least a page or two about him, back to back, like the marthcina conversations instead of only having the few shulk mains that talk in this thread speak up for their character.

Oh and if possible, can easy comparisons to other sword users be left out? I would like converation of Shulk's monado arts (infamously called modes and monadoes), tilts, aerials, and techniques to be discussed. Don't forget about air slash, vision, and backslash too.

If anyone needs a refresher on Monado Arts augments or Shulk's advanced tech, these two links can help a lot. I'll throw in a 3rd link that has match-up notes regarding the whole cast.

Monado Arts: http://shulk101.com/commentary

Advanced Techniques exclusive to Shulk (and a good amount can be replicated by Monado Arts Kirby): http://shulk101.com/tutorials

Match-up notes for the roster: http://shulk101.com/matchups

I find talking about this character very fun and love watching him do well on stream. Listening to commentators freak out and repeatedly saying short lines of monado, range, or another move when they pop off amuses me.

Love this character and conversation around him rather than just a few words or comparisons that usually (in my experience) just shut down discussion all together.

Thanks.

Here is the answer to the question regarding Lucas and Ness PSI Magnet vs Mega Man's Air Shooter.

The reason Lucas is able to live is because our Magnet allows us to halt movement regardless if we ascend or descend; we can also use it multiple times during a single jump.

Meanwhile Ness can only use his magnet to stall momentum while ascending from his double jump.

Here is a video example so others can follow the conversation.

https://youtu.be/_6WKjVX72ck

I remember some months ago this question was asked in the Lucas or Ness discord awhile back.

I had to manually search your name up and go through your postings and read them to find the megaman comment since I think on mobile I am unable to tag you with @ since I got no drop down menu while searching.
Ah you legend, you went to quite some lengths to answer my months-old question and gave a good answer as well. I really do appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't want to ignore the rest of your post but truth be told, I can't talk about Shulk because I don't know much about him. Loved XC but they really butchered him in this game so I never really went near him. Been a long time since I fought one in a bracket as well. That's kind of the problem with Shulk, nobody knows anything about him because he is so obscure and he's not exactly appealing to play just on the side for most. But it can't be understated just how far his mains have pushed this character, that's apparent to anyone. What I really want to know is how much further can this character grow now? Is his development starting to flatline, or is there still plenty of room for optimisation?
He seems to be overall a solid enough character in most MUs until you get to like the top 6 or so, at which point he starts to fall apart. If he's somewhat gatekept already and these MUs are only going to get harder for him over time, he's got no future. If Shulk has room for optimisation vs these characters then maybe he'll keep up? Who knows. I haven't seen much to suggest he will, but I'll keep an open mind.
To be honest I'm kind of glad his frame data sucks, otherwise he would be frustratingly oppressive for a lot of characters to fight, mine included. But it does mean that despite his range and Arts, the effectiveness of his neutral is permanently restricted. Outside of a potentially-but-not-really strong neutral, what else does he have going for him? Legitimate question, I don't actually know.

Maybe someone who knows Shulk better than I do can straighten out my rambling perceptions. I don't think he's going to fall off as such, although I don't see much room for significant progress in this character.

Told you I can't talk about Shulk but at least I tried

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Shaya Shaya
Your Marth and Lucina comparison reminds me...I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on Hyper's Roy and what this can mean in the future.

Btw, I have two FE char related questions
Who do you think the deeper char is between Marth and Roy, and who's the deepest FE char overall in smash 4?
Between :4marth: and :4feroy:, I'd say Roy but by a little, both use their speed to their advantage and to create mind games but Roy focuses on this more because unless you perfectly space his moves, he is more prone to punishment, contrary to Marth who has range on his side and better air mobility to aid him more in this regard. As for Hyper, looking forward to how he will do at MomoCon 2017, especially since he is one of the few players who make Roy's supposedly sup-par neutral actually look good. As for who is the most in-depth FE character I'd say Robin, because of how much you have to keep track of his tomes.

verbatim

Smash Ace
:4lucario: Vs :4bayonetta:is funny. Because of her edgeguarding and his recovery, Lucario often ends up taking 50%+ just trying to get back on the stage.

That'd be a bad thing for any other character.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:4lucario: Vs :4bayonetta:is funny. Because of her edgeguarding and his recovery, Lucario often ends up taking 50%+ just trying to get back on the stage.

That'd be a bad thing for any other character.

Well Bayo is a character that will either take stocks at very early or somewhat late percents. The MU depends on if Bayo can do the fromer consistently

Rizen

Smash Legend
Another character that I see comes close to even with Bayo is Link. Bayo has a tough time approaching since most of her approach options are either not safe on shield, or too laggy to get anything off of it. Not only can Link capitalize on a bad option on shield with something like Grounded Spin-Attack or JC U-Smash, but Link packs a lot of power in most of his moves. Bayo may find herself dead after getting hit from a Fair at ~90%. Not to mention that Link can get out of ladder combos efficiently by holding a Bomb. The only place where Link struggles against Bayo is when Bayo is in his face and Link's low mobility prevents him from escaping a combo. Overall, I think that the MU is 55-45 in Bayo's favor.

I might be wrong about most of this, so correct me if I'm wrong lol. (Except the Frostbite VoD, that was so freaking hype!)
You're not wrong but you're making it sound better than it is. If Bayo's smart she shouldn't be hit by OoS often. Link's power and bombs are huge assets for sure and Link's arrow animation makes him crouch under bullet climax.
Bayo has several points against Link though. Her general risk/reward is better, her punish game is top tier so Link must play extremely safe, and Witch time is cancer. Link's usual spacing tools like Zair and bombs on stage can be WTed in addition to Link's slow move set. Link's Dthrow combos don't work after Dthrow>jump Nair so he can't finish her off with Dthrow>Uair because bat within. Bayo's huge hitbubbles and bullet arts make Link's sword not as good at spacing and her UpB is so big Link can't even Dair it. Her fairs carrying Link offstage can lead to early kills and she's very good at recovering herself.
It's one of the harder MUs to space and a very punishing one.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Well Bayo is a character that will either take stocks at very early or somewhat late percents. The MU depends on if Bayo can do the fromer consistently
Except she cant do it consistently, people are actually learning SDI so they don't get kill combod at 30%. Shes left fishing for bair/dtilts at 120 or trying to edgeguard. Then you just play reactively and kill her at 40.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Except she cant do it consistently, people are actually learning SDI so they don't get kill combod at 30%. Shes left fishing for bair/dtilts at 120 or trying to edgeguard. Then you just play reactively and kill her at 40.
there's absolutely no guarantee that you don't get kill comboed at 30. this is a massive, incorrect exaggeration of di/sdi counterplay to bayo combos. sdi doesn't mean you don't get kill comboed, it just means the bayo has to think more to do it. this is especially inconsequential toward the horizontal kill combos (which work well on lucario). lucario literally only does decent in the bayo matchup because he can kill early if he survives, so the x factor is there. bayo still wins because she can exploit lucario's recovery, make it difficult for herself to hit, and make it difficult for lucario to get any form of control.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
For those too lazy to click, MKLeo says he thinks :4jigglypuff: is not low tier. Down in the replies, Zenyou says that he agrees. Someone also asked MKLeo if he thinks :4feroy: is low tier and he replied with 'No'.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
How can Jigglypuff even be mid tier with a MU spread as bad as hers? I agree that she might not be the worst character in the game, or even the 2nd worst or 3rd worst, but mid tier? Eh... I don't see it, too many bad MUs and not enough actually good MUs.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Who's to say that he isn't talking strictly about doubles, where she is actually amazing

PJB

Smash Cadet
I definitely agree, and I'm glad you brought up lucario. I feel like lucario have massive untapped potential as a secondary for top players. Marss tried it out and it didn't really work, but I think he just needed to give it more time.
So many top players (Tweek, Larry, etc) have a DK secondary that is effective, and at least some part of that success is due to obvious strong kill power and ability to overcome disadvantaged matchups. But like...isn't lucario the best at that? He requires you to be cool under pressure, but outside of DK (ironically) and a few others, who CANT he beat? The concept of someone like Ally or Locus having a secondary lucario is kind of terrifying

Also, I know lucario can beat DK, I just meant whatever top player would probably just use their main in that matchup instead

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Lucario actually makes it calming to be in disadvantage, tbh. It's like "okay, I'm getting hit... whatever. Where/when is the best escape route for me?"

Whereas other characters may make you more likely to panic in disadvantage, Lucario's Aura generally makes it easier to not get flustered. At least, from my experience.

Also, I think Lucario could beat Bayo as well, but I've never used him against one in tourney - only friendlies thus far.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I definitely agree, and I'm glad you brought up lucario. I feel like lucario have massive untapped potential as a secondary for top players. Marss tried it out and it didn't really work, but I think he just needed to give it more time.
So many top players (Tweek, Larry, etc) have a DK secondary that is effective, and at least some part of that success is due to obvious strong kill power and ability to overcome disadvantaged matchups. But like...isn't lucario the best at that? He requires you to be cool under pressure, but outside of DK (ironically) and a few others, who CANT he beat? The concept of someone like Ally or Locus having a secondary lucario is kind of terrifying

Also, I know lucario can beat DK, I just meant whatever top player would probably just use their main in that matchup instead
If you're going to take that path why not pick up Cloud?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I never did, and still don't understand why Roy was ever thought to be a low tier.
Little to no results, possible comparisons to Marth or possibly even Lucas and Ryu since they were released at the same time. People trying to play him just like Marth and then complaining about his poor reward off of hitting tippers or trying to play him just like Falcon despite him lacking the frame data. Could also just be that his disadvantage state is garbage. Fastest aerial is f5 uair, airdodge comes out on frame 3, Counter isn't active till frame 8 and after that, he just has breversing or wavebouncing Flare Blade or Double Edge Dance. No super armor on aerial Blazer either.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
If you're going to take that path why not pick up Cloud?
I think Zero is a good example of why Cloud isn't the end all be all of secondaries, compared to his Lucina secondary (who beat Ally!). Best player in the world but has a worse Cloud than almost every relevant top player.

PJB

Smash Cadet
Cloud definitely fits that mold as well, it's why he's the most popular secondary. I just think lucario has merit in that role too
Also, vs sheik and bayo specifically, lucario could possibly be the better choice. And imo sheik and bayo will prove to be the two best characters as the Meta progresses

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom