• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I don't really see how DK struggles to kill that much besides Ding Dong.
Once your out of Ding Dong percentages DK will have to fish or commit to a unsafe or hard punish/read. Outside of his Back air he's not landing a aerial on you if you don't run into them. His grounded options aside up tilt will not kill (his ftilt may but I don't know) and his smashes aren't quick enough to throw out like you would Mario's upsmash for example. Essentially if you have a way to force DK to approach once your past ding dong percentages (either with a percentage/stock lead or a harassing move) DK is going to have a bit of issue sealing the stock if your putting up a defensive wall. He's not hapless without Ding Dong but losing the option to use it definitely hurts.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
And everyone forgets the good doctor and Weegee :(
I'm more scared of the guy swinging a light iron pipe in a car than a bicycle...or a wheelbarrow.

(Get it, I'm comparing mobility speed. Mario's burst speed is why I think his u smash gets more recognition. Meanwhils Luigi is moving slowly and stopping, sliding around and not able to use the move as much because of that. Doc is just um...really slow. And Imo, that weird angle it launches you at can be a bane sometimes.)

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
(Get it, I'm comparing mobility speed. Mario's burst speed is why I think his u smash gets more recognition. Meanwhils Luigi is moving slowly and stopping, sliding around and not able to use the move as much because of that. Doc is just um...really slow. And Imo, that weird angle it launches you at can be a bane sometimes.)
Though Doc's has more range since it can hit in front of him, plus the angle makes claiming stage-control even easier. (Not to mention it's slightly safer on shield)

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Yeah Doc's up smash has a longer hitbox duration and longer shield stun, it'd basically be a straight upgrade from Mario's up smash if it weren't for its knockback angle, and even then it only kills a little bit later because of that.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Jab > turn around up tilt. Fishing for bairs. Kill throws.
jab>utilt is not easy to set up and bair and bthrow kill late unless you're at the ledge. This can be troublesome for a character who has such a mediocre neutral and poor disadvantage state. He's not Sheik or Sonic who can afford to kill late because their neutral and disadvantage is so strong

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
one interesting thing to me is that the best players of each character aren't the best at playing to that character's strengths, but rather minimizing their weaknesses (With exceptions like :4pikachu: :4pit: :4villager: who only have one top level rep).

T, for instance, mitigates Link's fairly poor CQC and mobility somewhat with his really good knowledge of OoS options despite Link's rather limited choices of them and makes Link look somewhat mobile, despite not implimenting much Link tech at all (I'm not sure if he knows how to bombslide, for instance), whereas Scizor is much more technical and has a much more through understanding of Link, but doesn't compensate for Link's flaws as well.

You can see this with quite a few characters, players like Shuton, Gungnir, and Tsu making their characters which normally have below average neutrals look very good in the neutral game, or Elegant having somehow found a way to somehow mitigate Luigi's poor mobility and traction with excellent powershields.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
DK's cargo throw offstage is also worth mentioning.
That **** can be disgusting tbh

Like If donkey kong down throws you offstage...whatever you do, don't jump to escape. If DK reads your jump you're getting Fair'd and killed at like 20%.

one interesting thing to me is that the best players of each character aren't the best at playing to that character's strengths, but rather minimizing their weaknesses (With exceptions like :4pikachu: :4pit: :4villager: who only have one top level rep).

T, for instance, mitigates Link's fairly poor CQC and mobility somewhat with his really good knowledge of OoS options despite Link's rather limited choices of them and makes Link look somewhat mobile, despite not implimenting much Link tech at all (I'm not sure if he knows how to bombslide, for instance), whereas Scizor is much more technical and has a much more through understanding of Link, but doesn't compensate for Link's flaws as well.

You can see this with quite a few characters, players like Shuton, Gungnir, and Tsu making their characters which normally have below average neutrals look very good in the neutral game, or Elegant having somehow found a way to somehow mitigate Luigi's poor mobility and traction with excellent powershields.
I think this may be because players of chars below the high tier line don't perceive their mains as simply tools to be used for the easiest win, (See ANTi for an extreme example lol) but because they probably really love their chars and want to help them grow and become a part of the meta.

I know for sure that Link mains are dedicated, man lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
My :4link: sense is tingling. Piggybacking on this, Link has some unorthodox ways to keep up with faster characters. The main one is his landing lag is comparable with Sheik's, 8 frames for Zair, 10 for B/Nair and 12 for Fair. Pair this with the damage and shield pressure Link has thanks to SSB4 and you'll see T do things like SH>FF Nair in neutral and it's relatively safe when spaced right. Nair is +5 frames on shield drop. If someone like Mario is hopping around Link can FF Nair and if it forces an airdodge Link has 11 frames to punish (dodge landing lag is 21 frames -Nair's 10 frames). If it hits at worse Link trades 11% and at best he can arrow lock a hard landing wobble and Fsmash. Pair this with platforms on stages like BF and Link's disjointed sword and he can be scary.

Link's walk is good and so are his pivots so if you rush carelessly you might eat a pivot Ftilt/smash. The disjointed sword helps him stay safe if he can maneuver in even small areas. His jab, although frame 7, pokes out farther than other jabs like Ike or Shulk's step jab 1s. Jab 2 can be canceled safely into a mixup on shields or things like upB on hit at high %s. Link also has the ever useful clawshot that out-ranges swordies like Ike and Marth as a mid range threat.

This is in addition to bomb/projectile stage control and combos.

tl;dr Link can play footsies.

Last edited:

ThePokéYoshi

Smash Cadet
Pools for Greninja Saga are out.
Projected Winners Finals for each pool:

A1: Mr. R :4sheik::4cloud: VS Eon :4fox: (Other: SS :4ness::4villager:, IceArrow :4greninja:)
A2: Larry Lurr :4fox: VS DSS :4metaknight:/ Luhtie :4zss:
A3: Tweek :4cloud2::4dk: VS iStudying :4greninja:
A4: VoiD :4sheik:VS Mr. E :4lucina::4marth: / Lea :4greninja:
A5: Locus :4ryu: VS NAKAT :4fox::4ness: / Regi :4gaw:
A6: Abadango :4bayonetta::4mewtwo: VS Xzax :4fox: / Venia :4greninja:
A7: Samsora :4peach: VS FOW :4ness:
A8: Elegant :4luigi: VS Falln :rosalina: / Shiki :4greninja:
B1: ZeRo :4diddy::4lucina: VS Charliedaking :4fox: / ImHip :4olimar::4duckhunt:
B2: Nairo :4zss: VS Oisiitofu :4greninja: / Aarvark :4villager: (Other: Waveguider :4greninja::4wiifit:)
B3: Ally :4mario: VS Tyrant :4metaknight: / Zan :4tlink:
B4: Komorikiri :4cloud2::4sonic: VS Legit :4diddy: / JK :4bayonetta:
B5: CaptainZack :4bayonetta2: VS Somé :4greninja:
B6: Edge :4diddy: VS Zenyou :4mario: (Other: Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman:, IC :4diddy:)
B7: Anti :4mario::4sheik::4zss: VS Ac :4metaknight::4falco: (Other: SlayerZ :4peach:)
B8: Ranai :4villager: VS Rich Brown :4mewtwo: (Other: Stroder :4greninja:)

Projected Winners Round 1 of Top 48:

ZeRo :4diddy::4lucina: VS Elegant :4luigi:/ Falln :rosalina:/ Shiki :4greninja:
VoiD :4sheik:/ Mr. E :4lucina::4marth:/ Lea :4greninja: VS Locus :4ryu:/ NAKAT :4fox::4ness:/ Regi :4gaw:
Ally :4mario: VS Edge :4diddy:/ Zenyou :4mario:
Komorikiri :4cloud2::4sonic: VS Samsora :4peach:/ FOW :4ness:
Mr. R :4sheik::4cloud: VS Ranai :4villager:/ Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
Tweek :4cloud2::4dk:/ iStudying :4greninja: VS CaptainZack :4bayonetta2:/ Somé :4greninja:
Nairo :4zss:/ Oisiitofu :4greninja:/ Aarvark :4villager: VS Anti :4mario::4sheik::4zss:/ Ac :4metaknight::4falco:
Larry Lurr :4fox: VS Abadango :4bayonetta::4mewtwo:

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
jab>utilt is not easy to set up and bair and bthrow kill late unless you're at the ledge.
A raw utilt can also work, it comes out on frame 5 and ends on frame 11, with FAF 39. I still think Donkey Kong is high-mid though (perhaps at the top of high-mid). I think he and Bowser are similarly strong.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935

A1: Mr. R :4sheik::4cloud: VS Eon :4fox: (Other: SS :4ness::4villager:, IceArrow :4greninja:)
A2: Larry Lurr :4fox: VS DSS :4metaknight:/ Luhtie :4zss::4zss:
B2: Nairo :4zss: VS Oisiitofu :4greninja: / Aarvark :4villager: (Other: Waveguider :4greninja::4wiifit:)
B6: Edge :4diddy: VS Zenyou :4mario: (Other: Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman:, IC :4diddy:)
B7: Anti :4mario::4sheik::4zss: VS Ac :4metaknight::4falco: (Other: SlayerZ :4peach:)

VoiD :4sheik:/ Mr. E :4lucina::4marth:/ Lea :4greninja: VS Locus :4ryu:/ NAKAT :4fox::4ness:/ Regi :4gaw:
Tweek :4cloud2::4dk:/ iStudying :4greninja: VS CaptainZack :4bayonetta2:/ Somé :4greninja:
Nairo :4zss:/ Oisiitofu :4greninja:/ Aarvark :4villager: VS Anti :4mario::4sheik::4zss:/ Ac :4metaknight::4falco:
I thought everyone here was using Greninja.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace

A2: Larry Lurr :4fox: VS DSS :4metaknight:/ Luhtie :4zss::4zss:

I'm gonna need more pokeballs

Hopefully this shows us exactly how good Greninja is, hes going up against nearly every relevant character

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Abadango will have a hard time with Venia. Both Bayo and M2 'struggle' with the Greninja matchup. Dunno about the mu ratio, but it's certainly a nuanced matchup with weird interactions.

Zack having to play through two Greninjas potentially could be interesting too.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
WNF Spring 1.2 (37 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Elegant :4luigi:
2nd: Locus :4ryu: :4greninja:
3rd: Razo :4peach:
4th: Larry Lurr :4dk: :4falco:

Larry lost to Razo 2-3 in winners semis and was 3-0ed by Elegant in losers semis.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Abadango will have a hard time with Venia. Both Bayo and M2 'struggle' with the Greninja matchup. Dunno about the mu ratio, but it's certainly a nuanced matchup with weird interactions.

Zack having to play through two Greninjas potentially could be interesting too.

Actullay the whole Greninja beats Bayo talk was kinda proven false a while ago. Zack has a winning record vs IStudying but he did lose to Some . I dunno the MU does look even or slightly volatile

I am looking forward to a potential rematch between Zack and Some

Speaking of Bayo, wonder where Salem has been the pasy month. He has been absent at any noteworthy competions and is a no-show for Greninja Saga

Last edited:

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean exactly, since you put that word in quotation marks
Probably means that the characters win, but the players have a difficult time with the match up, because of Greninja's odd characteristics and him being a fairly uncommon pick

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The ZSS to Bayonetta comparison baffles me to some extent. Bayonetta does not straight up outclass ZSS in every area. Pre-patch Bayonetta I would have probably agreed on, but post patch Bayonetta, comparing even to post patch ZSS, I do not agree.

The straight up, pure similarities include:

• Amazing (if not the two best) recoveries and disadvantage states.
  • Fantastic and stylish combo and punishing games.
  • Both have "ladder" combos that can lead into death.
  • Both are tall, hot women ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) with strong Back Airs.

That's about where the true similarities end. The two are not as similar as people like to believe; on paper yes, but when you start to break them down you see the finer differences.

I'll start with the basic stuff; If anything, I want to say Bayonetta's punishes are more open, possibly more common to see due to the myriad of ways she can get them started. Bayonetta drops her overall punishes much easier than ZSS due to a variety of variables such as weights, timings, SDI and Rage. That and the fact that people still don't know the best ways to escape her combo game reliably also amplifies their effectiveness to some degree.

In the contrary, ZSS's punishes are a little more strict, but are what I would call, more deadly; they are less prone to being dropped. Now, this is in no way saying that Bayonetta's are not deadly in her own right, but more, if Bayonetta gets a Dtilt on you near the ledge, if you don't know how to DI or SDI, you will very likely be taking 30-40%% damage easy; stock loss is a possibility, but the stars have to be aligned in all areas for this to be the case. This is in contrast to ZSS, who may get a simple Nair or Dsmash into Flip Kick spike and end your stock right there. Yes, Witch Time is a thing and that can end stocks too but post patch it is not all that common anymore unless it's Witch Time into a KO move.

Another misconception I see is that people seem to believe that Bayonetta can finish stocks for free. At around 90%, unless you get that Bair, offstage gimp or Witch Time, she's going to be struggling to get that KO; Witch Twist and ABK have too much knockback to follow up on if the opponent DI's correctly (straight up or down for Twist, and in most cases down or down away is better for ABK; this means Uair cannot hit you).

ZSS has one thing that is absolutely more notable over Bayonetta, and that is movement speed/mobility. Bayonetta's merely average movement speed isn't really a huge problem all in all, but it does grant her less areas to quickly get that punish if she's not in range. ZSS's speed works hand in hand with her punish game. See a poor ledge getup from mid stage? No problem!; that's a free Dash Grab or even Nair which can end the stock. Bayonetta's can also possess more issues against faster characters like ZSS herself, Fox, notably Sonic, or even Captain Falcon; it can become hard to safely punish everything these characters can throw at you from their safe distance.

Their neutral games are... similar. Both of them require spacing around their opponent attempting to poke and get that initial confirm. ZSS's neutral is what I would call arguably safer though, thanks to her possessing pretty much a sword in her Zair, and her speed only makes her ability to weave in and out of the opponent easier. Effectively, with ZSS it's more poke outside of the opponent's range; with Bayonetta it's more poke around inside the opponent's range with Nair and Dtilt until something gets started. ZSS's Nair and Bair are also incredibly quick and safe to throw out too, again, only boosted by her mobility.

I also want to say Bayonetta's disadvantage state is often overhyped. DISCLAIMER: absolutely one of the best in the game, but Bat Within really isn't as amazing as people like to make it out to be; it is nothing more than a glorified airdodge. If Bayonetta uses Bat Within at the wrong time, it puts her into a worse position than if she could have just airdodged normally. Example: if Mario Up Tilts Bayonetta into his Up Tilt strings into an Usmash, or even Dthrow into Usmash and Bayonetta gets out with a Bat Within, Mario can still regrab her; she'll have eaten the lower damage from the Up Smash but Mario can then regrab her. Meanwhile ZSS still has a frame 3 intangible get out of jail card that not only works as a psuedo-airdodge, but also resets neutral and positioning, allowing her to relive pressure more easily. Bat Within is amazing and life saving in many situations, don't get me wrong, but I would more than likely take Flip Kick with it's properties and usages over Bat Within in most cases. Simply straight up saying Bayonetta's disadvantage state is better than ZSS's is in my eyes very much debatable (and for both sides really; both have their advantages). While not indicative of their disadvantage states on the whole, I will also mention that while it's hard to edgeguard/gimp Bayonetta, certain characters do indeed have the tools they need to gimp her effectively. You do not gimp ZSS as well as Bayonetta.

I will finish by saying that I still believe Bayonetta to be the higher ranked character; in no way is this post an attempt to make Bayonetta look bad, or even make ZSS seem better than Bayonetta. What Bayonetta brings to the table often works more often for one reason or another, and her overall potential is something that is worth placing her higher for in the first place. I will also note that the risk ZSS takes whenever she uses a grab incorrectly is also a big flaw she has, which is something Bayonetta doesn't have to worry about. What this post is though, is an attempt to show how ZSS is not simply "inferior Bayonetta"; she's far from it. I think the fact that ZSS mains like Nairo and Marss haven't switched from her to Bayonetta speaks a lot too. If she really was inferior, I suppose this would have happened by now, a bit like 2ManyCooks with Doc, for example.

(and in case you cannot tell from my signature, I do use both of these characters; one other thing they do have in common is that they are soooo fun to play as and amazing to watch)
Alright, so!

Dunnobro mentioned a while back that Bayonetta gets more kills off of her conversions than ZSS players get off of grabs these days. Say what you will about her combos being easier to drop, but they also end up deadly more often with far less risk.

Similarly, while dsmash/nair flip kick can lead to super early deaths, good players aren't letting that happen to them very often anymore. On his stream, Nairo mentioned he doesn't do flip kick spikes as much as he used to because he doesn't get the opportunity to as often. People *know* where ZSS is going to kill them early, and that's a weakness by itself.

Bayonetta, on the other hand, can convert to death almost anywhere. With all of that taken into account, Bayo's punish game is straight up better.

And yeah, past a certain point, Bayo does struggle to kill... But so does ZSS around those same times. And while ZSS has her bair, Bayonetta's bair is yet another upgrade... Larger hitbox to boot. Then you add in witch time as well.

The mobility is a big difference, yes. But Bayonetta trades that for a couple things. First, she straight up controls more space with gigantic hitboxes. In fact, it's funny that you mention characters like Fox and Captain Falcon - both solid winning MUs for Bayonetta. So speed isn't something she struggles with, despite her mobility. Comparatively, the ever quick ZSS finds herself weaker against (not necessarily weak against) these characters.

Finally, disadvantage - Bayonetta objectively has the best disadvantage state in the game. Bat Within is a glorified airdodge, sure. But it's still a frame 1 airdodge that allows Bayo to escape situations others can't. And on that, I'd argue that any airdodge or other move used at the wrong time can be extremely punishable. Hell, that's how ZSS's grab works, and that's a big conversion tool for her. Meanwhile, Bayonetta can use Witch Twist and immediately escape with boost kick. She also has Witch Time in disadvantage, which forces the opponent to be careful when juggling or even chasing her down. Or THEY could lose a stock.

Comparatively, ZSS can only escape the situation - if she doesn't lose Flip Kick, that is. And that's my last point here... ZSS can lose Flip Kick if hit out of it. That's how Kirby players (like MikeKirby) gimp her. Scout out and remove flip kick from play, then go for a spike. And if she's too low, she just dies. Compare that to Bayonetta, who can not only threaten witch time or bat within, but also has a bunch of other ways to alter her recovery course and make it back from LONG distances. Also, thank you triple jump for another benefit. You see ZSS players dying offstage for being unable to recover with Boost Kick. Bayonetta players usually die offstage because they just messed up, for camera reasons or otherwise.

Bayonetta is in general a straight upgrade to ZSS. She does most everything ZSS wants to do, but far better. Thing is, they don't have all of the same attributes, so it still makes sense that people may pick ZSS over Bayonetta. And there are a number of characters in the game just like that.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Ok just with what giant hitboxes is Bayo controlling much Space?`Nair isn't as safe as everyone thinks because it can be punished at landing and if you don't dumbly shorthop everywhere she shouldn't be able to get you with a airial sideb.

She can zone with a combination of neutralb and bulletarts out of dtilt for example but like every toptier can contest that with crouch and good mobility.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Royal Flush 2017 (146 Entrants) (New Jersey)

1st: ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina:
2nd: Mr. R :4sheik: :4cloud2:
3rd: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk: :4bayonetta2:
4th: VoiD :4sheik: :4fox:
5th: The Great Gonzales :4ness:
5th: SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
7th: Nairo :4zss: :4lucina:
7th: WaDi :4mewtwo:
9th: Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2: :4lucina:
9th: IcyMist :4samus:
9th: Frozen :4corrinf:
9th: Zinoto :4diddy:
13th: Mr. E :4lucina: :4marth: (His Marth took 2 games the whole tournament)
13th: Sandstorm :4ryu:
13th: ANTi :4cloud2: :4zss:
13th: Zoan :4mewtwo:

Final Smash (46 Entrants) (New Brunswick)

1st: Catalyst :4shulk:
2nd: SolarFlare :4bowser:
3rd: Soh :4corrinf:
4th: C-Salt :4mario: :4kirby:
Shulk got first!? That's sweet. Can't wait to find the vods of it soon.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Actullay the whole Greninja beats Bayo talk was kinda proven false a while ago. Zack has a winning record vs IStudying but he did lose to Some . I dunno the MU does look even or slightly volatile

I am looking forward to a potential rematch between Zack and Some

Speaking of Bayo, wonder where Salem has been the pasy month. He has been absent at any noteworthy competions and is a no-show for Greninja Saga
What do you mean exactly, since you put that word in quotation marks
Pretty much this:

Probably means that the characters win, but the players have a difficult time with the match up, because of Greninja's odd characteristics and him being a fairly uncommon pick
Overall, Bayo has to rely on witch time and edgeguards. Though Greninja lends himself to that, so it's just Bayo being forced to play a certain way than really being bad for her.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Ok just with what giant hitboxes is Bayo controlling much Space?`Nair isn't as safe as everyone thinks because it can be punished at landing and if you don't dumbly shorthop everywhere she shouldn't be able to get you with a airial sideb.

She can zone with a combination of neutralb and bulletarts out of dtilt for example but like every toptier can contest that with crouch and good mobility.
May I ask exactly how you punish a Nair?

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
May I ask exactly how you punish a Nair?
Ok first let me clarify that i said the landing.

Good Showing for that is the Match Larry Lurr vs Zack on BF at Dreamhack: https://youtu.be/nhT_4zlahnw?t=503
Larry just run up upsmash his landing in that match.

Here is the Hitbox:
https://gfycat.com/GoldenLimpCougar

As you can see the hitboxes are on one side of her at a time. I guess if she lands wrong you can just straight up punish her. You can also use dash to shield of course and do something like shieldgrab. All you need is a char with a good dash speed or Bayo does the nair near you.
You pretty much can visually see where her leg is and therefore you can predict where her hitbox is when she lands.

I don't know how often you fight bayos but if you do you notice how her nair just not hits sometimes. Well regardless of the hitbox you can always just do Cloud dashattack. *shrug*

I think it would be a good idea if someone would lab that out.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
The mobility is a big difference
This is one of many reasons why this comparison doesn't work. It's comparing a slow character to the character who between ground/air speed and jump height is one of the overall fastest characters, and their movesets aren't similar at all outside of bair. It doesn't matter if what the characters are trying to accomplish is similar if how the characters accomplish that is completely different.

Other things:

-ZSS does not have a percent range where she struggles to kill, and she gets confirms from anywhere on stage.

-Their ladder combos themselves aren't similar. Bayo's up b always has a small chance to lead to a kill, whereas ZSS' grab almost always either does or doesn't depending on the situation, and if it does then it will. (other times the opponent can mess up and DI above a platform and allow a ladder kill, but DI mistakes are much more common on hard-to-react-to setups like rising uair (Luhtie vs ZeRo) than grab.) And again, the way the characters get or force ladder combos is completely different because the characters play differently/are different.

-ZSS' bair is faster and on a way more mobile character while killing early with it positionally, from combos and edge guards. In practice ZSS' bair is pretty easily better than Bayo's. She's the only top-tier-speed character with a move like that.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Bayonetta will have to see some change in her meta that is translated over to tournament play for her to be considered in the same tier as Diddy and Sheik. She isn't as good as those characters now and it's a possibility she never will be -- I would say it's likely she never will be, but I want to see what Salem's combo looks like in tournament and what Aba's Bayonetta looks like. For now, Bayonetta being top 3 at all is questionable.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
This is one of many reasons why this comparison doesn't work. It's comparing a slow character to the character who between ground/air speed and jump height is one of the overall fastest characters, and their movesets aren't similar at all outside of bair. It doesn't matter if what the characters are trying to accomplish is similar if how the characters accomplish that is completely different.

Other things:

-ZSS does not have a percent range where she struggles to kill, and she gets confirms from anywhere on stage.

-Their ladder combos themselves aren't similar. Bayo's up b always has a small chance to lead to a kill, whereas ZSS' grab almost always either does or doesn't depending on the situation, and if it does then it will. (other times the opponent can mess up and DI above a platform and allow a ladder kill, but DI mistakes are much more common on hard-to-react-to setups like rising uair (Luhtie vs ZeRo) than grab.) And again, the way the characters get or force ladder combos is completely different because the characters play differently/are different.

-ZSS' bair is faster and on a way more mobile character while killing early with it positionally, from combos and edge guards. In practice ZSS' bair is pretty easily better than Bayo's. She's the only top-tier-speed character with a move like that.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Bayonetta will have to see some change in her meta that is translated over to tournament play for her to be considered in the same tier as Diddy and Sheik. She isn't as good as those characters now and it's a possibility she never will be -- I would say it's likely she never will be, but I want to see what Salem's combo looks like in tournament and what Aba's Bayonetta looks like. For now, Bayonetta being top 3 at all is questionable.
Yea I will be looking if Aba's Bayo will bring anything new to the table. Tweek also seems to have a good onevis is starting to use her more.

Speaking of Salem, I wonder what he haa beem doing the past month or so. He has been absent at any noteworthy competions and is a no-show for Greninja Saga

PJB

Smash Cadet
lots of bayo talk lately (and always lol but it's certainly warranted and almost always interesting) so I'm curious- what character is considered to have the best matchup vs her? I've heard some say sheik, especially on FD. Also heard more obscure choices like ness, took link or luigi

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Ok first let me clarify that i said the landing.

Good Showing for that is the Match Larry Lurr vs Zack on BF at Dreamhack: https://youtu.be/nhT_4zlahnw?t=503
Larry just run up upsmash his landing in that match.

Here is the Hitbox:
https://gfycat.com/GoldenLimpCougar

As you can see the hitboxes are on one side of her at a time. I guess if she lands wrong you can just straight up punish her. You can also use dash to shield of course and do something like shieldgrab. All you need is a char with a good dash speed or Bayo does the nair near you.
You pretty much can visually see where her leg is and therefore you can predict where her hitbox is when she lands.

I don't know how often you fight bayos but if you do you notice how her nair just not hits sometimes. Well regardless of the hitbox you can always just do Cloud dashattack. *shrug*

I think it would be a good idea if someone would lab that out.
That was actually a very good answer, thank you.
We definitely need more post like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom