• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
For me it's hard thing to justify picking an exact #1. Diddy wins all these tournaments but the winner has always been Zero. Is it the character or player skill when it comes to top 8?
The answer is "both".

:059:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's clear that I delivered some of the most consistently entertaining string of posts this thread has seen. I'll take the warning without a penalty as a show of respect. Thanks for that. I don't even mind being ridiculed generally by multiple users (and being sure nobody will be issuing them any points, hypocritically), because I'm a professional, dealing with non-professionals, mostly, sweating their turf. I did some good work here. And yes, TK Breezy did light me up, but actually, no, it wasn't my fault, and
I got done a pretty dirty. I was just being polite by taking the blame. Day 1 of my Smash career and I interacted with the absolute best of the industry. He paid me the respect of responding to me afterwards, as well. He's the man.

Re Zero's tier list: this is a really simple take. Whatever Zero's tier list is, is the tier list that I, myself, look to as being the best version. Yes, he could be wrong (so could everyone). Yes, it fluxuates (irrelevant). He's so far and above the best player, that his analysis is simply worth more than the rest of the scene combined (when it comes to the tier list specifically, which is amorphous). That's not a flame, that's just how I see it. His results/body of work/consistency back this up.
This isn't back in the begining of Smash 4 anymore where he won everything 3-0 no problem. He has to bust many sweats to stay #1, and he has definitely had a period where he stopped getting #1 and was fluctuating for best with Ally and Leo a couple months ago. Tsu vs Zero was a last hit situation. I don't think his opeenion is more valid that anyone else's for the tier list construction. He tends to overblow most characters viability after a mere one good run (Lucario). How many times has he succumbed to the reactions of others also to nerfs? "Oh Diddy got nerfed too hard, Bayo got nerfed too hard" if he really was the end to be for formulating a correct tier list, switches in mindset like that shouldn't happen. Was Zero right when he said Rosa, Ryu was the best? Imagine if we actuslly believed that when their flaws were extremely apparent and exploited even at the time of speaking.

Really, I think the tier list voting should have at least one of every character main that has passed a certain threshold of results and has demonstrated non bias theory discussion for their main in the past.

Zero knows Diddy. This is where Zero's part on the tier list should hold more weight. I'm not going to take Zero's opinion on say, Luigi's over Elegant's for example.

Collaboration really is the key on these tier lists, and the results show for this one. It's almost a perfect reflection of the metagame atm.

Although everyone has pointed out Corrin's placement. We don't talk about how that slipped by the censors.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
For me it's hard thing to justify picking an exact #1. Diddy wins all these tournaments but the winner has always been Zero. Is it the character or player skill when it comes to top 8?
ZeRo is so good he exploits Diddy's best assets and Diddy is so versatile that he can overcome every MU, even those called "bad MUs" by non-ZeRo Diddy players.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Censors? Tier list voting has censors? In all seriousness where was this voting taking place anyways? I have the forums list for smash 4 saved on my bookmarks and I didn't see anything that said where the characters were being voted on for the updated tier list....

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Censors? Tier list voting has censors? In all seriousness where was this voting taking place anyways? I have the forums list for smash 4 saved on my bookmarks and I didn't see anything that said where the characters were being voted on for the updated tier list....
The first page of the thread explains it. The Smash4BR isn't public so you would get no notifications.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Oh ok. I actually missed the part about the voting being private. My mistake. In any case most everything on this list is perfectly fine. There are a few rough spots but other than that it's fine.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I think it might be more constructive to good discussion if we just ignored Eden Rocks' posts. Eventually he'll realize we don't care about his conspiracy Theories if nobody acknowledges them.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
He doesn't even care if the posts are on-topic. As far as he's concerned his posts are the most entertaining posts on the thread and everyone else's is hot garbage. There's no curing an online ego like that.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
So like....did you know Pikachu has a kill confirm with Uthrow>Thunder?

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Forced meme is forced.

I am somewhat curious about ROB. Where did this guy go? Other than being ZSS food, what's holding this guy back from being at least mid tier? Am I right in remembering that Japan has viewed him rather highly before?
Same thing that happened to most decent characters with good potential.
DLC.
The ZSS matchup is hopelessly bad as well.

AusJJV

Smash Rookie
NNID
bowjacashle
3DS FC
0516-7571-4084
Guys, come on. This nonsense and arguing will get us nowhere. Anyways...
Glutonny and tsu are both pretty likely judging off of 2GG's tweets

best of luck to Gluto but good lord he's going through trial by fire
Yeah, gotta agree with you there. Hopefully he can show us what Wario's got on the American stage. Has he ever been to a torunament outside of Europe? If so, how did he do?

Also, if Tsu gets another great placing here, it may show us more proof that Lucario is indeed an amazing character. Yes, his run at Frostbite was amazing, but just more clarification is better than none :) Kinda reminds me of Kameme where he got 2nd at EVO. Just off one tournament we can't assume a character is top tier, as for he hasn't finished any other extremely notable placings which could provide more evidence that Mega Man was a top tier.

Basically what I'm saying is if Lucario can get more consistent results in, could he be a new top tier threat?

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Forced meme is forced.

I am somewhat curious about ROB. Where did this guy go? Other than being ZSS food, what's holding this guy back from being at least mid tier? Am I right in remembering that Japan has viewed him rather highly before?
Yeah you're right. I'll do something productive with my time.

hmmm...

To answer your question about ROB in Japan's eyes. I haven't really seen any recent tier list from japanese players. But it seems that OCEAN hasn't had a good performance since Shulla-Bra Tokaigi qualifiers with 9th place. Make of that what you will really.

Plus lately Cloud has been getting a lot more representation with Masashi, Komorikiri, and two other Cloud mains I can't remember the names of which is a little bad for him.

I'll look out for him next Japanese tournament

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I know this is totally the wrong place to be asking, but I have tried everywhere and I am still stuck.

Can somebody point me in the direction an actual, up to date, ZSS guide please? Either that or an actual good ZSS that knows what they're doing message me with some advice please? I am at a point where I just cannot improve; it's extremely likely I am doing something very wrong, but I can't do it, and I really want to continue using the character, but because I feel like I am stumbling about in the darkness, I am getting very upset with my play with her, and it's not fun.

I have asked a couple of times in the ZSS boards now for some help, but I must be an alien or something because I am just ignored. Apologies again, but this is my last resort.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I know this is totally the wrong place to be asking, but I have tried everywhere and I am still stuck.

Can somebody point me in the direction an actual, up to date, ZSS guide please? Either that or an actual good ZSS that knows what they're doing message me with some advice please? I am at a point where I just cannot improve; it's extremely likely I am doing something very wrong, but I can't do it, and I really want to continue using the character, but because I feel like I am stumbling about in the darkness, I am getting very upset with my play with her, and it's not fun.

I have asked a couple of times in the ZSS boards now for some help, but I must be an alien or something because I am just ignored. Apologies again, but this is my last resort.
Check in the ZSS Discord. There's bound to be at least one person that knows what they're talking about.

Alternatively, try Zinoto's method of match review. Pull up a video of your ZSS playing a particular character, and then pull up a video of a better ZSS (say, Nairo or Marss) playing the same matchup. Look for what they're doing differently.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
:4rob:even before dlc still struggled with an abundance of really poor top tier mus. From what I know of rob Zss,sheik,mario and maybe rosalina were all really bad for rob so DLC didnt entirely make rob fall.Before he still had it bad vs sheik,zss,mario,and rosa on top of a disadvantage state almost as bad as dk and bowser. Other characters also got buffs while he got nothing,other characters had metagame advancements and soon people adapted to him. The dlc(:4cloud::4bayonetta:and the buffed :4mewtwo:) didn't entirely make him fall of they were simply the nail in the coffin.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Check in the ZSS Discord. There's bound to be at least one person that knows what they're talking about.

Alternatively, try Zinoto's method of match review. Pull up a video of your ZSS playing a particular character, and then pull up a video of a better ZSS (say, Nairo or Marss) playing the same matchup. Look for what they're doing differently.
I don't use Discord much, but if it really is the only option...

I can also try match review I suppose, but I can't say I haven't tried it before.

My first issue is that I just cannot get a grip on neutral; I am playing about with Zair, Nair, Bair and Neutral B, but I just get beat out multiple times and i'm often already on around 70% before I have even won neutral once. I understand ZSS's neutral is overall poor but there's poor and then there's me. Then my conversions are give and take.

But this is all exemplified by the fact that I just cannot kill with her anymore, outside of the rare occasion I manage to land a Dthrow and take somebody off the top.

I think what the crux of it is is I just can't get a grip on what playstyle I should be playing as her; Should I be playing more aggro? More patient/spacing? The problem with this is that I just don't understand what tools work best for what situation. It also doesn't help that Nairo and Marss play vastly different playstyles, which makes me struggle to understand what is best.

If there are any ZSS players reading this, whether it be right now, or even months down the line, please PM me before I sit in a dark room and cry.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Same thing that happened to most decent characters with good potential.
DLC.
The ZSS matchup is hopelessly bad as well.

Yea the Bayo MU is nearly as hopeless for basically all the same reasons that the ZSS MU is .
Mario , Sheik and Cloud also almost as bad. They both fear nothing his zoning and both juggle and combo him to ludicrous levels in thier own ways. Only think that makes them slightly better than ZSS/Bayo is that there combos won't lead to instadeath for R.O.B

So yea when a character struggles with about half of the current top-tiers, it certianly does not bode well for thier competitive future.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
For people unaware there's an Austin tournament in TX happening that has Elegant fatality aarvark MKleo and a good portion of high level TX people, Including Cosmos finally coming out. Possibly MKleo vs Cosmos in Winners semis soon.
https://smash.gg/tournament/no-fun-allowed/events/wii-u-singles/brackets/79150
https://www.twitch.tv/cstatsmash

Come next weekend there'll be another big tourney in SA that'll have MKleo again and Nairo this time called KI con. Just incase anyone was interested. Stream link illusion or I will post once we get details on the tourney stream stuff.

I'd post it in Shaya's thread for people to start posting about tournaments, stream links, upsets etc. but I'd feel awkward being the first one to post in a thread nobody has posted in yet thus nobody is watching the thread lol

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't use Discord much, but if it really is the only option...

I can also try match review I suppose, but I can't say I haven't tried it before.

My first issue is that I just cannot get a grip on neutral; I am playing about with Zair, Nair, Bair and Neutral B, but I just get beat out multiple times and i'm often already on around 70% before I have even won neutral once. I understand ZSS's neutral is overall poor but there's poor and then there's me. Then my conversions are give and take.

But this is all exemplified by the fact that I just cannot kill with her anymore, outside of the rare occasion I manage to land a Dthrow and take somebody off the top.

I think what the crux of it is is I just can't get a grip on what playstyle I should be playing as her; Should I be playing more aggro? More patient/spacing? The problem with this is that I just don't understand what tools work best for what situation. It also doesn't help that Nairo and Marss play vastly different playstyles, which makes me struggle to understand what is best.

If there are any ZSS players reading this, whether it be right now, or even months down the line, please PM me before I sit in a dark room and cry.
Look at how Nairo uses nair and why it works for him, tbh. The idea is to directly compare what they're doing to what you're doing under similar conditions.

As for killing with ZSS - I imagine it would be difficult without a grab. I've started to see a lot of bair kills, edgeguards, and paralyzer/dsmash into fsmash. I figure those would be the main ways to kill? IDK.

Oh, and more utilt.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Bizzaro Flame :ganondorfmelee: is coming to Smash 4 :4ganondorf:. He's said he wants to focus on Smash 4 temporarily. He'll be at Civil War.

He's a bit of a Melee legend (used to be ranked 90-100 in Melee before going on break) so watch out, I guess, especially if he's focusing on the character. If there's potential for Ganondorf, he'd certainly be somebody to really show it.
TELL ME I'M NOT IN PARADISE
Ca't wait to see what Bizarro brings to Ganon's Smash 4 scene, I imagine it'll give us some good discussion material.

Gluto may also have a chance of going as well? If he goes, he'd have to play incredibly on point. ANTi and Kameme is one thing, but those guys as well as most of the pgr, now that's another. All in all, Civil War a[[ears to be becoming more stacked by the day.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Forced meme is forced.

Bayo, for one. She rips him to shreds for basically all the same reasons that ZSS does. Only she trades ZSS's mobility for a neutral B that largely ignores his projectile game. She's one character, yes, but also has one of the largest player bases in the roster so it's something ROBs usually have to face up to at least once per bracket run.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
For people unaware there's an Austin tournament in TX happening that has Elegant fatality aarvark MKleo and a good portion of high level TX people, Including Cosmos finally coming out. Possibly MKleo vs Cosmos in Winners semis soon.
https://smash.gg/tournament/no-fun-allowed/events/wii-u-singles/brackets/79150
https://www.twitch.tv/cstatsmash

Come next weekend there'll be another big tourney in SA that'll have MKleo again and Nairo this time called KI con. Just incase anyone was interested. Stream link illusion or I will post once we get details on the tourney stream stuff.

I'd post it in Shaya's thread for people to start posting about tournaments, stream links, upsets etc. but I'd feel awkward being the first one to post in a thread nobody has posted in yet thus nobody is watching the thread lol
Watched it. Things I noticed:
  • Arvark really needs to work that Lucina. He took the "Style: Forward Smash" meme of her way too seriously;
  • Elegant's Luigi still makes me happy with those combos. He overtook a legit hard MU against Cosmos' Corrin;
  • Speaking of Cosmos' Corrin, he really put up some work. I liked seeing that. Corrin is a really good character, to me, and it's good to see people showing it/
  • Sadly Elegant lost to Leo in the end, but that's both a really hard ladder to climb in the MU (Cloud) and there was a bit of a skill gap there also.
I liked the show!

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
you have to ask yourself
"what if he played the matchup right?"
and then you realize DK does suck
Not every person plays 100%. DK has taken out Tyroy 3-0 and took Salem to game five. Tween has taken an MSM with him. I know people are on the Bowser train, but I always ask if he's done anything of note and I don't get answers. He don't win tourneys for a reason .

Also assuming to say that he doesn't know or wasn't playing it right is kinda wrong headed since the Fox plays a ton of DKs and beats them. It's just that DK got the upper hand.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno if I'd say mid tier sucks in this game.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Not every person plays 100%. DK has taken out Tyroy 3-0 and took Salem to game five. Tween has taken an MSM with him. I know people are on the Bowser train, but I always ask if he's done anything of note and I don't get answers. He don't win tourneys for a reason .

Also assuming to say that he doesn't know or wasn't playing it right is kinda wrong headed since the Fox plays a ton of DKs and beats them. It's just that DK got the upper hand.
That wasn't DK being good that was just Fox's recovery being **** coupled with some bad decisions. The Fox player gave that game up for free. I fail to see how you got anything of value from that clip.

First stock: Fox player started off bad. Why shoot so many lasers at a character as fast as DK on stage as small as SV? Best case scenario is that he is cornered at the edge for a measly 5% lead. Worst case scenario is a hard punish like what happened in the clip. Better to start off engaging for center stage. The Fox player made a VERY bad decision offstage. Why would he try to jump back onto the stage at that angle? Terrible decision

Second stock: Fox player overextended hard. Yet another terrible decision on his part. Not even going to go into detail on this one.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster

Within 10 seconds the Fox burned his jump at dtilt range, spawned in, ran towards the SV platform, and burned his jump immediately after whiffing a falling fair with DK right above him.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree here. Your guy broke spacie rule #1 twice and expected to not die for it.

Last edited:

Galaxeon

Smash Cadet

I'm not very good or anything, but I've questionned myself in the past about that so here's a few things I can say. Her neutral and approaches will vary depending on the character you're facing, but more importantly depending on your opponent's playstyle. Generally though, don't be affraid to play more aggro, it seems to be a winning strategy with her (Marss isn't THAT defensive of a player if you don't compare him with Nairo). Applying pressure is the only way you can land grabs outside of reads and landing traps, from my experience. Her down special is godlike to escape bad situations and reset neutral when you are in disadvantage so don't be affraid to take some risks (again, depending on the character and situation obviously).
For killing though, ZSS isn't supposed to have much trouble, maybe try and improve edgeguarding/trumps? I know it made a difference when I stopped relying on dthrow kills (on that matter : I generally go more for dthrow bair or fair at kill percents now). Nair isn't as useful in the neutral as before at low percents, but it leads to two kill confirms at the right percents (and nair to bair is surprisingly consistent) so you should be on point with the windows for each character and aware of that during the match. Also, fishing for raw bairs shouldn't be a thing but since that move is dumb, it works. Finally, don't forget anytime they touch your shield unsafely, she has some good oos options to kill (this includes utilt as mentioned above, which I think is a bit underused).
Oh and, don't practice against a good Diddy Kong yet if you're not 100% confident with how you play ZSS, you'll just lose faith in the character.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Ugh. You guys legit after one match are saying XYZ but you don't even know that the fox wrecked the DK just as hard game 1. People get bodied now and then. It was a nice clip of a DK straight up going berserk.

I remember
M2K didn't play it wrong, DKwill played it right and rushed/forced decisions. DK can do that.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
Ok forgot to do this yesterday because I had no power for a while but here are my results for the question I asked on reddit based on this quote from smash wiki "As such, it is debatable of whether or not Ness will continue to stay in the middle tier, or if he will drop again into low tier. Ness's spot is a high topic of debate as some smashers claim he deserves to be lower than this, or even lower than his fellow EarthBound representative Lucas." Most people disagreed with the post saying he would stay in mid tier but isn't solo viable anymore others said he would go to high tier with one person making a claim he was top 20. As for the Lucas vs Ness it was mostly Lucas > Ness but there were some the other way around.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Ok forgot to do this yesterday because I had no power for a while but here are my results for the question I asked on reddit based on this quote from smash wiki "As such, it is debatable of whether or not Ness will continue to stay in the middle tier, or if he will drop again into low tier. Ness's spot is a high topic of debate as some smashers claim he deserves to be lower than this, or even lower than his fellow EarthBound representative Lucas." Most people disagreed with the post saying he would stay in mid tier but isn't solo viable anymore others said he would go to high tier with one person making a claim he was top 20. As for the Lucas vs Ness it was mostly Lucas > Ness but there were some the other way around.
Didn't you post this already?

Routa

Smash Lord
So the new tier list is out, eh?

Not bad if you ask mii (Routa plz drink bleach). I agree with the majority of the tier placings. I do disagree on the ordering within the tiers, but oh well. Anyways now onto the things I disagree with.

Robin :4robinm:
I do think that Robin is placed too high. I have hard time seeing a character with abysmal disadvantage state, poor options from shield, below average neutral and horrible mobility to be above character like Ike and Link and Gunner who aren't as flawed as Robin. I do understand that Robin has results in 'Murica, but as far as I know he is kinda lacking in results in Europe and in Japan (you may correct if I remember incorrectly). And if I have understood correctly Dath is one of the few Robin mains that actually get results. I also do think that people are considering Robin to be great mainly due to Dath. Dath is amazing player and he should get all the credit from his results.
But serious question... What can Robin do better than any other character or why should I use Robin instead of any other character or even in what is he good at? Only thing that comes to my mind is the Smash Aerials. That is it. I can list a lot of reasons why I would not pick Robin over lets say Luigi or even Ike.

Cpt. Falcon :4falcon:
Now everyone knows that Mr Faptain has amazing strengths and horrible disadvantage, but are we overselling him? Like I have said once before he does get a lot out from people's AD habits. ADing at the wrong time -> Knee -> Dead. Not ADing -> Uair or sourspot Knee -> still alive. Also I have heard quite many Faptain mains dropping him due to his lack of options within neutral. Main complain has been that his options are limited to DA and dash grab. Also his results have been all over the place. I would personally put him a tier lower, but that is just mii (haha plz kill mii).

Miis :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
I'm pretty sure that people expected mii (oh dear Daddy Sakurai these puns) to talk about the characters which I'm most familiar with.
I have to say that I disagree with the voting process. Making voting of one or rather 3 characters optional is not a good idea. I do understand that many may lack of knowledge of these characters, but at the same time these people are voting characters which are even more rare than the Miis and I can bet that thous people do also lack knowledge of thous characters, but they still end up voting them. I also heard that a lot of people did not cast their votes on the list in general due to unknown reasons. Oh well...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Robin is fine in that position (IMO they might be marginally low but nothing to complain much about).

They have a strong camping and zoning game, a decent set of projectiles, and aerials that you can't joke with that are good as aid to the zoning game, poking tools, shield pressure and even edgeguarding.
Robin also have tons of issues (horrible at every aspect of disadvantage like shielding, landing, recovering), but they make up for them with sheer strength.

Results might not be impressive as they lack representation, but the character has very good neutral+advantage tools that don't match with (most of) the characters below him.
:196:

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Forced meme is forced.

ROB, unlike many other mid-tiers that have seen recent spikes in success, has pretty bad mobility and a lack of landing options, not to mention a neutral that relies heavily on projectiles which aren't as good as :4diddy:'s or :4megaman:'s. What results from this is that unlike other mid-tiers who just have 45:55s with every top tier and 55:45s with every low tier (:4pit:, :4tlink:, :4lucas:) ROB has 6:4s or 65:35s with every low tier and 4:6s or 35:65s with every top tier. There are exceptions, yes, but ROB's polarizing matchups give him a hard time against the upper echelon of the cast since almost all of them can outrun him, juggle him until the end of time, and harass him offstage. He does have some things that can help him overcome "bad on paper" matchups such as the hoo-hah and his amazing upsmash, but ROB can't consistently break top 32 at majors without a secondary or a lot of bracket luck. It doesn't help either that matchup knowledge about him is way more common. Raffi-X still puts in impressive work with solo ROB, going game 3 last-hit with Leo at Genesis, but he was riding hard on matchup inexperience that set. ROB, like our old pal :4ness: has some decent tools but is overall too linear and sluggish to compete with the best.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Robin :4robinm:
I do think that Robin is placed too high. I have hard time seeing a character with abysmal disadvantage state, poor options from shield, below average neutral and horrible mobility to be above character like Ike and Link and Gunner who aren't as flawed as Robin. I do understand that Robin has results in 'Murica, but as far as I know he is kinda lacking in results in Europe and in Japan (you may correct if I remember incorrectly). And if I have understood correctly Dath is one of the few Robin mains that actually get results. I also do think that people are considering Robin to be great mainly due to Dath. Dath is amazing player and he should get all the credit from his results.
But serious question... What can Robin do better than any other character or why should I use Robin instead of any other character or even in what is he good at? Only thing that comes to my mind is the Smash Aerials. That is it. I can list a lot of reasons why I would not pick Robin over lets say Luigi or even Ike.
Robin's lacking in results in Europe/Japan, but so are so many other characters, like Ike, who's nonexistent in Japan, has very few results in the US, and some results in Europe. It's not like character specialists are really uncommon in this game, so saying he's lacking results due to him premier mains being based in one country while disregarding his results in that country is kind of shortsighted. Dath's also been quite consistent, getting 17th or 25th at most majors along with getting 3rd at Shine 2016.

He has a kill confirm out of grab (for most characters, anyways) that true combos at kill percent and setups into grab from his projectiles, along with his Bthrow acting as as a stock cap near the ledge. Also, it's only his ground mobility that's terrible; his air speed, acceleration, and deceleration are all basically average (31-34th, 18-28th, and 10th-55th, respectively), which, combined with his amazing aerials, allow him to space in the air quite well. He has a frame 4 jab that kills horizontally (wind jab kills quite well vertically but most non-fastfallers can get out of it a kill percent), along with quick tilts to keep people out.

And then there's his specials. Thunder is incredibly versatile, allowing him to space, trap, or kill with one move, while Arcfire is a very effective wall, though it's punishable if the opponent's standing at roll range. Nosferatu's a nice command grab that heals him, though it's kind of meh overall. All of his specials, when they run out, give him a book, which is an item that does 18%.

Generally, Robin's great at keeping people out in the air, effective enough at making most characters approach, and has a very good punish game. His neutral's average and his disadvantage is bad, but it's not bad enough to overshadow everything else.

Routa

Smash Lord
"They have a strong camping and zoning game"

How is Robin supposed to camp? I have been asking this question from myself for a long time and quite frankly I still don't get how he is supposed to camp. His projectiles (Thunder and Arcfire) ain't forcing anyone to approach due to how slow the projectiles are themselves. I would also add that the Thunder charges in stages. If you keep pressuring while he is trying to charge... well let's just say that he wont be able to make the projectile to jump to the 2nd or later stage of the charge (yeah not really good at explaining). I personally would not call a character who cannot really force opponent to approach and cannot approach himself... well good. I am aware his advantage state so no need of trying to convince mii (brb gonna get some bleach to drink) on that area. I just have hard time seeing it to be enough to make up all these problems.
I also want to remind that grounded mobility is far more important than aerial mobility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom