• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Forced meme is forced.

I am somewhat curious about ROB. Where did this guy go? Other than being ZSS food, what's holding this guy back from being at least mid tier? Am I right in remembering that Japan has viewed him rather highly before?
One of ROB's best reps, Raffi-X from New England, doesn't travel much. He has good OoR wins on Pink Fresh (KTAR) and Day (G4). At a regional level, he's pretty much guaranteed to win anything that Marss or Light doesn't go to, only sporting occasional struggles against Pugwest, NTarps, and the up-and-coming Kogarasuma.

Once he starts traveling more, he will become more of a threat.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
PG Key to 2GGC Civil War Top 8

Winners
Sonido:4sonic:vs Master Puffy:4jigglypuff: (No you don't need your eyes checked)

Naranja:4corrinf:vs Mekos:4lucas:

Losers

Captain Zack:4bayonetta: vs JJrockets:4diddy:

Zay:4link:vs BlazingPasta:4ness:

Nah

Smash Champion
Robin's position on the official tier lists has always been fine. The character is very much middle of the pack when you look at the whole picture. Y'all can just list the character's strengths or weaknesses by themselves but that's a very pointless exercise, because again, not looking at the whole ****ing picture.

Robin was never meant to camp either. I think that when a lot of people think of zoning they just simplify it to camping or even just using projectiles when there's more to it than that. Now, maybe it's just a difference in definition, but to me, "camping" is a form of zoning that involves walling people out with little movement. Robin can't do that, frame data's not there, projectiles aren't fast enough. Her kind of zoning isn't camping.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Is this master puffy a good jigglypuff player? Must be insanely skilled to get to winners with that but that just might be my ignorance talking.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Robin's position on the official tier lists has always been fine. The character is very much middle of the pack when you look at the whole picture. Y'all can just list the character's strengths or weaknesses by themselves but that's a very pointless exercise, because again, not looking at the whole ****ing picture.

Robin was never meant to camp either. I think that when a lot of people think of zoning they just simplify it to camping or even just using projectiles when there's more to it than that. Now, maybe it's just a difference in definition, but to me, "camping" is a form of zoning that involves walling people out with little movement. Robin can't do that, frame data's not there, projectiles aren't fast enough. Her kind of zoning isn't camping.
I agree with this

I don't use Robin all that much nowadays, but I distinctly remember Robin being a highly active character; you couldn't just sit and camp with Elthunder (Arcfire is a trap). You had charge, space aerials, go for grabs, feints, etc. His moveset allowed for dynamic play.

Re: Tier position

Mid tier is fine for him, I feel. The definition of a polarizing character, with extreme strengths and extreme shortcomings.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna be blunt about the new tier list, I honestly think its pretty good. Like a solid 8/10. Yeah Lucario would have made a big jump if there was a month, give or take a few weeks, until we got this, but I feel that this is a decent representation of the meta. However, I do have some nitpicks.

While the top four is something I agree with, I do not think Bayonetta is number 1. I personally feel that Diddy and Sheik are above her due to both of them being more consistent with their wins and gameplan as of late. In the future, I could see Bayo being number one. But she just does not have the number of tourney wins for me to just go with my gut and say that she is number one. In my opinion, Diddy>=Sheik>Bayo>Cloud would be how I would order the top four, simply based on consistency and meta dominance. However, I do feel that this will be a pretty consistent top four from this point onwards. Simply put, I can not see any character below the top four in top tier becoming more meta defining, versatile, or dangerous as the top four are.

Ness dropping is a godsend, he was far too high last time. Ness is no longer seen that much, and he is just so easy to exploit. If you think Cloud is easy to exploit offstage, Ness is going to make you cry. Literally I would consider his recovery bottom five, it is just so awful. At least Lucas has his tether, which might not seem like a big deal, but with his decent air speed, that tether is going to help you get back to the stage so much more than a Ness. Yes I know that it is annoying to compare the characters, they are not that similar to be honest, but their recoveries at least are similar. Ness also like is not as great after all the DLC. Like, he does not do well against Mewtwo, Cloud, or Bayonetta, and those are extremely common top tier picks. Like, Ness just is not great anymore, and I would not be surprised if he dropped further.

Charizard is finally not in the bottom tier, another thank god moment. He is suprisingly good. Like, he has a decent grab game. I know everyone likes to compare him to DK and Bowser because they are both super heavy and have amazing grab games, but Charizard gets the job done. DThrow is a decent combo throw, and Uthrow is a good kill throw. Also all that armor and **** makes cheesing matchups so much easier. Fly is such a clutch move.

The only characters I feel need to rise up in this tier list are Olimar and Luigi, which I feel can be seen as high tiers. I think that most people know how Olimar has been getting results from Dabuz popping him out a lot and Shuton being great, and Elegant is really pushing the Luigi meta. These characters in my opinion are strong enough that I would consider them high tier, over any other characters in the mid tier.

Also low key Dedede is the worst character in the game. Like a pretty meh grab game. You get things out of downthrow for a while, but it does not set up for kills reliably at higher percents. Without a god tier bair like in brawl, you do not have the ability to simply have a fast move. His frame data is abysmal. Like the only real positive to the character is you live forever, get rage, and hope your opponent ****s up. But even if they do, you are so slow and your frame data is so **** that you can not punish them well. Aside from Mii Brawler and Swordfighter (which imo are not real characters right now#freemii), easily the worst character in the game. Yes, I think Zelda, Jiggs, and Ganondorf are all better than him. By like a lot. I dare you to argue that anyone is worse than this travesty.

Also to hop in the Robin discussion, I think he's in a decent spot. Anything I say at this point has been said by other people better. Though I would say I think he (and Lucas) are better than the Pits or Yoshi, but that is beside the point. Robin is probably the most interesting character to me in this game. He fascinates me, and I wish to get better with him. I do not think Robin will rise in the future, but I do not ever see Robin dropping.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I don't use Discord much, but if it really is the only option...

I can also try match review I suppose, but I can't say I haven't tried it before.

My first issue is that I just cannot get a grip on neutral; I am playing about with Zair, Nair, Bair and Neutral B, but I just get beat out multiple times and i'm often already on around 70% before I have even won neutral once. I understand ZSS's neutral is overall poor but there's poor and then there's me. Then my conversions are give and take.

But this is all exemplified by the fact that I just cannot kill with her anymore, outside of the rare occasion I manage to land a Dthrow and take somebody off the top.

I think what the crux of it is is I just can't get a grip on what playstyle I should be playing as her; Should I be playing more aggro? More patient/spacing? The problem with this is that I just don't understand what tools work best for what situation. It also doesn't help that Nairo and Marss play vastly different playstyles, which makes me struggle to understand what is best.

If there are any ZSS players reading this, whether it be right now, or even months down the line, please PM me before I sit in a dark room and cry.
You shouldn't find a playstyle to play in. It should come naturally.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
This weekend, the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference Pro Exhibition happened, where Abadango, Anti, Marss, Pugwest, Light Raffi-X, Craftis, and Koolaid were put in an 8 man double elimination bracket. Marss took the whole thing over Abadango in both Winners Finals and Grands.

http://bigbluees.challonge.com/mitsloanconference

One thing to note is that both Craftis :4sonic: and Raffi-X :4rob: beat Anti. Strong showing for New England.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ness dropping is a godsend, he was far too high last time. Ness is no longer seen that much, and he is just so easy to exploit. If you think Cloud is easy to exploit offstage, Ness is going to make you cry. Literally I would consider his recovery bottom five, it is just so awful. At least Lucas has his tether, which might not seem like a big deal, but with his decent air speed, that tether is going to help you get back to the stage so much more than a Ness. Yes I know that it is annoying to compare the characters, they are not that similar to be honest, but their recoveries at least are similar. Ness also like is not as great after all the DLC. Like, he does not do well against Mewtwo, Cloud, or Bayonetta, and those are extremely common top tier picks. Like, Ness just is not great anymore, and I would not be surprised if he dropped further.
Just wanna say while this is mostly a reasonable opinion, Ness actually does *really* well against Bayo, I dunno where you pulled that idea from, and his matchup with Mewtwo is about even or slightly losing.

Hell there's even an argument that says he's not that bad vs Cloud.

If you're gonna pick on Ness' DLC matchups I'd be talking Corrin LOL.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Just wanna say while this is mostly a reasonable opinion, Ness actually does *really* well against Bayo, I dunno where you pulled that idea from, and his matchup with Mewtwo is about even or slightly losing.

Hell there's even an argument that says he's not that bad vs Cloud.

If you're gonna pick on Ness' DLC matchups I'd be talking Corrin LOL.
Can you explain your thoughts on :4ness:-:4cloud2: in detail?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Alright. So Ness as we all know struggles when the lead is against him. He has to fight a close ranged battle with his opponent, most of which have the power to keep him out without having to resort to blocking attacks (as Bair and Uair spaced well are safe on block). Ness is at his best when, like more than a couple members of this cast, he's the one controlling the flow of the match. Suddenly aerial / grab mixups become more powerful, and Ness is very very top echelon of characters with punish games - hit for hit he deals out more damage than just about anyone in the cast save Ryu (except for Heavyweights but they're different for a variety of reasons). As simple as he is, more on his punish game is being figured out as time goes on (shoutouts to Flashwire's tech-heavy combos, but more practically simple things like Dthrow ---> DJ Uair x2 at mid percents which people never knew until recently for some reason - probably because our DJ takes so much time to get lift peeps assumed it wasn't true) and one of his biggest strengths is as an incredibly effective, safe edge-guarder.

Cloud is hard because he puts pressure on immediately and then swings swords in your face with several non-interactive sequences having to occur before you can even think about punishing (Obviously you're looking for the things he does 'after' moves like Bair). But the tide of that match can turn quickly if Ness plays patiently around limit camping and snags an early lead. Cloud's SH options can be pre-empted, so if he's the one approaching it's easier to extend this lead and work it into a grab. Ness *has* to get Cloud off-stage in this MU, but if he does then he has a lot of options to, if not kill Cloud, force him into recovering a certain way which Ness can punish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTnhdFzCmio

It's not the best example, and I dislike that he takes Cloud to stages he can platform camp (although give S1 some limited extra options mayyyybeee) and that S1 doesn't really play with the lead all *that* well in this MU but I do think S1 performs pretty admirably anyway, and there are key moments where he turns the tide through an edge-guard or is able to reset things very quickly due to the power of his punishes. It's one of those semi-volatile MUs that you have to not let get out of control. S1 does punish a lot of random Dairs from Mr R though so idk.

Down here in Australia Poppt's currently doing a lot of work as well and I know he beat Ghost's Cloud rather recently so I'll be looking at their matches soon enough.

It's a shame the US doesn't have its top reps showing off this character, but I believe in the power of buttons and even given all his other weaknesses I think Ness probably isn't given credit where he's due in a lot of MUs, Cloud included.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Platform camping for timeouts is doable by almost every character in the game and is the optimal strategy against many good and bad characters. If you're not prepared to platform camp a Diddy for 3-4 minutes while at 80% on your first stock after killing him, you don't want the win.
I'd like to boldly say that characters unable to deal with it will fall while the ones with decent counterplay against it will rise, but looking at Melee tells me that this strategy won't ever be popularized despite it being so powerful with a lead.
Just saying. Keep the option in mind if you're 1-1 or 2-2 against your local :4pikachu: :4megaman::4littlemac::4lucario::4mario::4luigi::4ness::4olimar::4ryu::4diddy:(rough estimate, random ones that came to mind) in pools. Usually not worth against :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4corrin::4mewtwo::4marth::rosalina:.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Alright. So Ness as we all know struggles when the lead is against him. He has to fight a close ranged battle with his opponent, most of which have the power to keep him out without having to resort to blocking attacks (as Bair and Uair spaced well are safe on block). Ness is at his best when, like more than a couple members of this cast, he's the one controlling the flow of the match. Suddenly aerial / grab mixups become more powerful, and Ness is very very top echelon of characters with punish games - hit for hit he deals out more damage than just about anyone in the cast save Ryu (except for Heavyweights but they're different for a variety of reasons). As simple as he is, more on his punish game is being figured out as time goes on (shoutouts to Flashwire's tech-heavy combos, but more practically simple things like Dthrow ---> DJ Uair x2 at mid percents which people never knew until recently for some reason - probably because our DJ takes so much time to get lift peeps assumed it wasn't true) and one of his biggest strengths is as an incredibly effective, safe edge-guarder.

Cloud is hard because he puts pressure on immediately and then swings swords in your face with several non-interactive sequences having to occur before you can even think about punishing (Obviously you're looking for the things he does 'after' moves like Bair). But the tide of that match can turn quickly if Ness plays patiently around limit camping and snags an early lead. Cloud's SH options can be pre-empted, so if he's the one approaching it's easier to extend this lead and work it into a grab. Ness *has* to get Cloud off-stage in this MU, but if he does then he has a lot of options to, if not kill Cloud, force him into recovering a certain way which Ness can punish.

It's not the best example, and I dislike that he takes Cloud to stages he can platform camp (although give S1 some limited extra options mayyyybeee) and that S1 doesn't really play with the lead all *that* well in this MU but I do think S1 performs pretty admirably anyway, and there are key moments where he turns the tide through an edge-guard or is able to reset things very quickly due to the power of his punishes. It's one of those semi-volatile MUs that you have to not let get out of control. S1 does punish a lot of random Dairs from Mr R though so idk.

Down here in Australia Poppt's currently doing a lot of work as well and I know he beat Ghost's Cloud rather recently so I'll be looking at their matches soon enough.

It's a shame the US doesn't have its top reps showing off this character, but I believe in the power of buttons and even given all his other weaknesses I think Ness probably isn't given credit where he's due in a lot of MUs, Cloud included.

Calling attention to this post because you actually completely swayed my opinion of this matchup with your words.

Your post consists of
1) general observations about Ness' gameplan, all of which are reasonably agreeable and definitely insightful (the comment about Ness' punish game hit-for-hit is particularly revealing in context)
2) a synopsis of Ness' options in the Cloud MU in particular and why Ness isn't doomed when Cloud swings his sword
3) video evidence supporting your claims

It's a simple argument that you're making--that if Ness has the lead, the MU is much harder for Cloud, so the MU is closer overall than it appears to be, since Ness can get that lead with a preemptive strike--but it's just so well executed. No bull**** and straight to the point with supporting evidence. This should be the standard for posting in this thread.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Having the lead is overrated though. You can still play very patiently like before. Cloud has one of the most broken tools if the opponent is avoiding to approach.
I don't think it's that much better for Ness while having the lead tbh. Maybe if the Cloud loses his patience the match-up gets easier but a patient Cloud will still be a problem.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I'm suprised that more clouds don't play neutrals on BF and Dreamland solely on a platform. Instead of having to jump and land falling aerials you have access to instant falling uair (insane hurtbox realignment), spaced nair, limit camp and empty lands into ground options.

Last edited:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Re: Ness-Cloud
While everything Luco Luco says, I mostly agree with, I want to draw attension to the part where you says there is a period of interactions where Ness isn't even playing.

Cloud's aeriels are wonderful against Ness. From afar he can safely wall with full hop nairs, short hop bairs even throw in some dairs (sparingly). Cloud can secure damage through passive button presses, while Ness has to read to even get started. This is always a bad sign.

Even if Ness has a stock lead, I still feel Limit charge has the psychological edge in forcing approaches. You can lose stocks to limit cloud so easily, and he exerts huge pressure just by having it. Plus, it becomes MUCH harder to edge guard him (the only time where Ness can exert passive pressure and force options).

Cloud's buttons are just too good against Ness in spite of the edge guard opportunities that happen in a match. Cloud can be edge guarded by half the cast and he remains top tier in spite of this. Ness doesn't have enough ways to force him offstage without straight out playing your opponent.

It is very much, a losing matchup. I doubt you don't think this, but you sounded too optimistic for my likings.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Platform camping for timeouts is doable by almost every character in the game and is the optimal strategy against many good and bad characters. If you're not prepared to platform camp a Diddy for 3-4 minutes while at 80% on your first stock after killing him, you don't want the win.
I'd like to boldly say that characters unable to deal with it will fall while the ones with decent counterplay against it will rise, but looking at Melee tells me that this strategy won't ever be popularized despite it being so powerful with a lead.
Just saying. Keep the option in mind if you're 1-1 or 2-2 against your local :4pikachu: :4megaman::4littlemac::4lucario::4mario::4luigi::4ness::4olimar::4ryu::4diddy:(rough estimate, random ones that came to mind) in pools. Usually not worth against :4bayonetta::4cloud2::4corrin::4mewtwo::4marth::rosalina:.
Olimar doesn't care much about platform camping. If someone is camping him on the top bf platform, he can use the time to get a good lineup with two purples or maybe some reds and then from below the platform he can do FJ uair --> DJ uair --> up b uair, FJ uair --> DJ nair ac to grab --> FJ uair --> DJ bair, etc. If he's doing this with purples or reds it does a ton of shield damage and unlike the other characters you listed, his uair kills while also having really low FAF so he can mixup the timing and be more aggressive with it. He can also land on the platform with purple pikmin toss and follow up.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Couldn't Diddy just AC uair/bair your shield while you're trying to platform camp him? Or is that a big body/super heavy exclusive thing?

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Luco Luco you're starting to sound like Envoy of Chaos Envoy of Chaos man

Ness vs Cloud is GARBAGE. Ness loses that mu hard. You have Ness who has a pretty meh nuetral, bad disadvantage state, and one of the strongest punish games in the roster versus Cloud who has one of the best neutrals in the game, an OK disadvantage state (it's only bad when he's offstage without limit), and an even stronger punish game than Ness.

Ness gameplan in neutral:

Get a grab. It is his most lucrative tool. From a grab he gets true combos at low percents and sometimes mid precents (other factors must be considered at mid percent like rage, fall speed, etc). He also gets stage control and PKT/aerial juggling at mid percents and a kill throw at late percents.

A competent player isn't just going to let you run up and grab them so you have to condition them to stay grounded and shield. Pivot and shield grabs often require the opponent to flub an approach but if Ness is approaching with a dash grab you have the following options to beat it: you can, roll, spot dodge, throw out an attack like a jab or a tilt, a retreating aerial to whiff punish the grab, a rising aerial to stuff the grab, throw out a dash grab/attack of your own, throw a projectile. Ness must condition his opponent with his normals to get the grab. His aerials have big hitboxes, are disjointed, and can be used to stuff aerial and some grounded approaches. Ness dash attack can stuff grounded approaches, punish some retreating aerials, retreating rolls, and spot dodges. You use a combination of his aerials and dash attack to keep the opponent grounded and in their shield. Once they start shielding you start grabbing. If they try to avoid the grab again then start throwing out Ness normals again. Rinse and repeat.

Back to Ness v Cloud:

Ness gameplan does not work against Cloud. Why? Ness can't keep Cloud on the ground because Ness aerials straight up lose when going head to head with Clouds aerials. This makes it EXTREMELY difficult to condition him and makes neutral very difficult for Ness.

This forces Ness to play a ground game which isn't strong to begin with and is even weaker if you can eliminate his aerial options. This is why he loses to sword characters in general because they all have the tools to do this (some better than others). On the ground all Ness has are his poorly ranged tilts and jab (most if not all of them have less range than Marios, let that sink in). There's also his very poor dash speed and his dash grab which has 6-8 frames more endlag than your average non-tether dash grab. PK Fire, more like PK Lag. Dash attack is Ness' only ground poke with *kinda* low commitment. You can just run around and shield but Cloud does a lot of shield stun and has a normal grab so have fun.

For Ness neutral just amounts to a bunch of hard reads and guess's with few options to work with which will result in him losing neutral quite often. Casinos should make this a game in their venues, that's how much reading and guessing you have to do smh.

Punish Game:

Ness punish game, as strong as it is, isn't strong enough to matter in this MU. In fact, Ness punishes aren't even as strong in this MU as it is in others. On stage if Ness gets in his juggle potential is lessened by stupid **** like Clouds dair, uair, and his range in general. He's heavy so he dies later. Limit can save him offstage as with any of Clouds MU's. PKT juggling is strong if you get him offstage but getting him there is the problem.

Cloud punish game, juggles Ness for free and quite often gets more off of one neutral win than Ness in terms of damage and stage control, Ness nair and uair doesn't help much because swords, can kill Ness earlier than Ness can kill him with LCS, and deadly, low risk edgeguards while in limit.

All in all the one thing that Ness is really good at, punishment, Cloud does it better in this MU

Video You Posted:

The video you posted doesn't really convince me that this MU isn't garbage for Ness. Mr R sd'd in one match, in another match Mr R damn near JV'd him while S1 had a significant lead in that same match, Some stocks S1 got destroyed while Mr R went almost completely untouched.

Other factors: skill gap between Mr R and S1, one player is playing with their main while the other is playing with their secondary. The best we can see of this MU as far as I know is FOW/Shaky vs Leo/Komo/Tweek.

Conclusion:

MU IS TRASH lol

...and M2 v Ness is definitely not even lol M2 wins to say the least, and Ness v Bayo is even at best for Ness. Why? Witch Time

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Couldn't Diddy just AC uair/bair your shield while you're trying to platform camp him? Or is that a big body/super heavy exclusive thing?
Diddy's airspeed sucks and the character can't chase all that well. His best killing option through platforms is banana up>utilt, which doesn't kill until around ~140 but is safe if the banana hits their shield and they try to do anything but hold it. Monkey Flip grab and Uair also won't kill on standard T&C heights, BF or DL until over 150. Bair is the best option, but if he jumps with his back facing you on a platform there's little reason to not hold shield. k9 and ZeRo have been getting plat camped more recently, but not many people commit to doing it as a win condition. Right now it's used as a "get extra percent" strat, but you could go for timeouts with it if you wanted.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Ness vs Cloud is GARBAGE. Ness loses that mu hard. You have Ness who has a pretty meh nuetral, bad disadvantage state, and one of the strongest punish games in the roster versus Cloud who has one of the best neutrals in the game, an OK disadvantage state (it's only bad when he's offstage without limit), and an even stronger punish game than Ness.

Ness gameplan in neutral:

Get a grab. It is his most lucrative tool. From a grab he gets true combos at low percents and sometimes mid precents (other factors must be considered at mid percent like rage, fall speed, etc). He also gets stage control and PKT/aerial juggling at mid percents and a kill throw at late percents.

A competent player isn't just going to let you run up and grab them so you have to condition them to stay grounded and shield. Pivot and shield grabs often require the opponent to flub an approach but if Ness is approaching with a dash grab you have the following options to beat it: you can, roll, spot dodge, throw out an attack like a jab or a tilt, a retreating aerial to whiff punish the grab, a rising aerial to stuff the grab, throw out a dash grab/attack of your own, throw a projectile. Ness must condition his opponent with his normals to get the grab. His aerials have big hitboxes, are disjointed, and can be used to stuff aerial and some grounded approaches. Ness dash attack can stuff grounded approaches, punish some retreating aerials, retreating rolls, and spot dodges. You use a combination of his aerials and dash attack to keep the opponent grounded and in their shield. Once they start shielding you start grabbing. If they try to avoid the grab again then start throwing out Ness normals again. Rinse and repeat.

Back to Ness v Cloud:

Ness gameplan does not work against Cloud. Why? Ness can't keep Cloud on the ground because Ness aerials straight up lose when going head to head with Clouds aerials. This makes it EXTREMELY difficult to condition him and makes neutral very difficult for Ness.

This forces Ness to play a ground game which isn't strong to begin with and is even weaker if you can eliminate his aerial options. This is why he loses to sword characters in general because they all have the tools to do this (some better than others). On the ground all Ness has are his poorly ranged tilts and jab (most if not all of them have less range than Marios, let that sink in). There's also his very poor dash speed and his dash grab which has 6-8 frames more endlag than your average non-tether dash grab. PK Fire, more like PK Lag. Dash attack is Ness' only ground poke with *kinda* low commitment. You can just run around and shield but Cloud does a lot of shield stun and has a normal grab so have fun.

For Ness neutral just amounts to a bunch of hard reads and guess's with few options to work with which will result in him losing neutral quite often. Casinos should make this a game in their venues, that's how much reading and guessing you have to do smh.

Punish Game:

Ness punish game, as strong as it is, isn't strong enough to matter in this MU. In fact, Ness punishes aren't even as strong in this MU as it is in others. On stage if Ness gets in his juggle potential is lessened by stupid **** like Clouds dair, uair, and his range in general. He's heavy so he dies later. Limit can save him offstage as with any of Clouds MU's. PKT juggling is strong if you get him offstage but getting him there is the problem.

Cloud punish game, juggles Ness for free and quite often gets more off of one neutral win than Ness in terms of damage and stage control, Ness nair and uair doesn't help much because swords, can kill Ness earlier than Ness can kill him with LCS, and deadly, low risk edgeguards while in limit.

All in all the one thing that Ness is really good at, punishment, Cloud does it better in this MU

Video You Posted:

The video you posted doesn't really convince me that this MU isn't garbage for Ness. Mr R sd'd in one match, in another match Mr R damn near JV'd him while S1 had a significant lead in that same match, Some stocks S1 got destroyed while Mr R went almost completely untouched.

Other factors: skill gap between Mr R and S1, one player is playing with their main while the other is playing with their secondary. The best we can see of this MU as far as I know is FOW/Shaky vs Leo/Komo/Tweek.

Conclusion:

MU IS TRASH lol

...and M2 v Ness is definitely not even lol M2 wins to say the least, and Ness v Bayo is even at best for Ness. Why? Witch Time
Luco Luco goes to tournaments with his Ness/Lucas and has major success in his region.

I'd trust him about Ness/Lucas matchups over you any day.

Especially when you simplify things while somehow also overthinking it.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

While you may be right about Ness, pissing on his supporters who present mostly valid arguments is not the way to go. Did you skipped Bayo-Ness talk? It has been argued that Ness wins the MU, because he doesn't care about Witch Time. His main thing is grabbing, which goes against it. Offstage and upwards Bayo eats PKTs. Ness is floaty and small, so he can SDI out of Bayo specials more often than not. Bayo's approach is about as predictable as Ness' so neutral isn't so bad. Captain Zack has lost to FOW and SS, FOW defeated Saj, Taranito defeated 9B, and other examples. I know I am simplifying it but it was a long discussion.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that if Ness catches Cloud with his yo-yo at the ledge he'll steal their jump and then it's pretty much an insta-kill if they don't have/get limit.

Last edited:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
When cloud recovers properly (not above the stage, and not overlapping his hit box with the stage), his auto snap avoids the yoyo quite consistently. This option is only useful against those who make mistakes.

Rizen

Smash Legend
TIL that smashboards doesn't support BBCODE [hide]:dizzy:[/hide]
Do you mean [*spoiler][*/spoiler] or [*spoiler=description goes here][*/spoiler] without the *?

Ness' yo-yo is a good ledge guard option but any move that catches Cloud offstage is going to kill him. I don't see yo-yo as a big advantage only Ness has.

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
While you may be right about Ness, pissing on his supporters who present mostly valid arguments is not the way to go. Did you skipped Bayo-Ness talk? It has been argued that Ness wins the MU, because he doesn't care about Witch Time. His main thing is grabbing, which goes against it. Offstage and upwards Bayo eats PKTs. Ness is floaty and small, so he can SDI out of Bayo specials more often than not. Bayo's approach is about as predictable as Ness' so neutral isn't so bad. Captain Zack has lost to FOW and SS, FOW defeated Saj, Taranito defeated 9B, and other examples. I know I am simplifying it but it was a long discussion.
I don't piss on Ness supporters. I'm just not as optimistic as some of them are, mainly Envoy of Chaos Envoy of Chaos and sometimes Luco Luco and I call them out on it just like I have been called out for being so "pessimistic" about Ness. I was one of the few posters on here who said Ness was going to decline a long time ago and even posted a list of characters that I felt that Ness lost to at the time and gave detailed explanations on a few of them but most people on here just wrote it off or disagreed with me on a lot of it. Now here we are in 2017 and Ness has lost set(s) to most if not all of the characters I listed at top level. If I can find that post I'll repost it. As far as we have all seen I've been right about most of this stuff.

Also, I merely presented a counter argument to Lucos post. You say his arguments are mostly valid but I disagree.

One thing in Lucos post that I didn't touch up on was the whole thing about Ness having the lead. Luco is right that when Ness has the lead he is stronger and the opponent is forced to approach. Characters like Ness, Luigi, DK, Ryu and the like are among the best when it comes to exploiting this strategy. However, getting the lead is the problem.

I'll use the very same video Luco used to back up his claims. In case you didn't notice, Cloud was the first one to get the lead in every match they played. Now whats stopping Cloud from sitting on the lead and exploiting this same strategy that Luco brought up in Ness's defense? hmm? Cloud already gives Ness an incentive to approach from the start with Limit charge. Should Ness approach with his ****ty approach options or let Cloud transform to Super Saiyan Blue? Both roads are treacherous to say the least.

Feel free to pick this apart if you disagree with it.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Both Luco and My_T make solid points tbh and you'd be a fool to completely ignore one of them. One post is articulated better and may be more agreeable but that is no reason to dismiss the valid observations of the other. Props to My_T for having the balls to dispute the established player. Game can't grow if everyone just agrees with the first thing that's said/subscribes to conventional wisdom without doing a bit of self-thinking and assessment as to why it holds in practice. You have to be prepared to see the other side of the coin even if you don't agree with it.
Anyway.

Despite a clear difference in opinion as to how bad it is, they're basically saying a similar thing regarding Cloud. It is a hard matchup and many "classic" Ness options are effectively off-limits (bad pun absolutely intended). Luco isn't saying Ness wins - optimism does not have to be the same thing as taking leave of your senses - but I feel My_T may be overpushing it a bit with the "garbage MU"assessment. To me a garbage MU would be one you can't win and if you take this post in isolation, that would be the impression you would get. It gives the impression that Cloud shuts down every available option to Ness at any point in neutral and he can never get anything going unless he gets lucky, which isn't true. Cloud playing his game does open up a few potential holes Ness can exploit, you just need to know what you can force and when. Luco alluded to this with his "non-interactive sequences" point. It's vague and difficult to describe, but it's legitimate. Basically you need to pick your moments, but it shouldn't be a pick-a-button-and-pray-it-works guessing game.

Obviously, this means that you've got to have a pretty damn good understanding of Cloud's neutral as well as the player's habits, preferred options and such. Even if you do you're not winning neutral as often as he is, but that's offset somewhat by Ness' strong advantage state. I don't agree with the assertion that Cloud limits Ness' punish game significantly more than other MUs and Ness maintains advantage state decently well vs Cloud even when there are no true followups. Obviously though it's easy to lose advantage and then you're in an uphill struggle again. But I don't really think Cloud has some easy win button to escape vs Ness. How much Ness gets out of advantage comes down to awareness on Ness' part.

Obviously Cloud bodies Ness basically for free in advantage, and because he's a very popular character that's far more capable of winning neutral much more often and getting into that advantage state, this is always going to be a major problem MU. I don't think anyone is saying "y'know, Ness actually goes even with or beats Cloud". At least I HOPE not. But I will echo Luco's final point (although I can't speak for him obviously) where he says Ness isn't given the credit he's due in many MUs. I've said it before and I stand by it, Ness doesn't have a single unwinnable MU in theory, or at least, it hasn't been proven otherwise yet.

(Quick word on Bayo, whether or not you think Ness has an advantage you can't deny that even or close to even with Bayo is huge, especially for a mid tier. Also Luco I'd love to see your logic for Mewtwo potentially being "about even" in some form (post, pm, twitter link, VODs, whatever) if you find the time, because imo that MU is dodgy.)

As an aside, if you want to see real Ness optimism in it's purest form, Mr R put out a Sheik MU chart on Twitter yesterday and according to him, Ness is only +1 to Sheik so yeah. Shoutouts to S1 I suppose. I really want him to be right though!

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I'm glad we brought up platform camping I've wanted to talk about it for a while now but never had the chance. Anyway

Platform camping is actually an extremely strong strategy against characters specifically with either poor mobility, or poor Up airs, or against characters that struggle to land. This strategy is particularly effective against low level player because most of them do not have the attention span to try and not hit you.

I've experimented with platform camping against a lot of characters and can say it DOES work in practice along with theory. There's an amazing video by Tafokints on the subject in his series "Zero to hero" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oiopo_9u6SU

The video is an hour long but now is my chance to self promote. In my notebook I've written about platform usage which was basically taken from Tafo's video (link to it is here https://1drv.ms/o/s!Ags84JuCyNmDr2iqKdMw0OKSZXug )

To find it go to fundamental concepts>platform usage (try to ignore some of the other stuff, some of the notebook is really outdated)

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Both Luco and My_T make solid points tbh and you'd be a fool to completely ignore one of them. One post is articulated better and may be more agreeable but that is no reason to dismiss the valid observations of the other. Props to My_T for having the balls to dispute the established player. Game can't grow if everyone just agrees with the first thing that's said/subscribes to conventional wisdom without doing a bit of self-thinking and assessment as to why it holds in practice. You have to be prepared to see the other side of the coin even if you don't agree with it.
Anyway.

Despite a clear difference in opinion as to how bad it is, they're basically saying a similar thing regarding Cloud. It is a hard matchup and many "classic" Ness options are effectively off-limits (bad pun absolutely intended). Luco isn't saying Ness wins - optimism does not have to be the same thing as taking leave of your senses - but I feel My_T may be overpushing it a bit with the "garbage MU"assessment. To me a garbage MU would be one you can't win and if you take this post in isolation, that would be the impression you would get. It gives the impression that Cloud shuts down every available option to Ness at any point in neutral and he can never get anything going unless he gets lucky, which isn't true. Cloud playing his game does open up a few potential holes Ness can exploit, you just need to know what you can force and when. Luco alluded to this with his "non-interactive sequences" point. It's vague and difficult to describe, but it's legitimate. Basically you need to pick your moments, but it shouldn't be a pick-a-button-and-pray-it-works guessing game.

Obviously, this means that you've got to have a pretty damn good understanding of Cloud's neutral as well as the player's habits, preferred options and such. Even if you do you're not winning neutral as often as he is, but that's offset somewhat by Ness' strong advantage state. I don't agree with the assertion that Cloud limits Ness' punish game significantly more than other MUs and Ness maintains advantage state decently well vs Cloud even when there are no true followups. Obviously though it's easy to lose advantage and then you're in an uphill struggle again. But I don't really think Cloud has some easy win button to escape vs Ness. How much Ness gets out of advantage comes down to awareness on Ness' part.

Obviously Cloud bodies Ness basically for free in advantage, and because he's a very popular character that's far more capable of winning neutral much more often and getting into that advantage state, this is always going to be a major problem MU. I don't think anyone is saying "y'know, Ness actually goes even with or beats Cloud". At least I HOPE not. But I will echo Luco's final point (although I can't speak for him obviously) where he says Ness isn't given the credit he's due in many MUs. I've said it before and I stand by it, Ness doesn't have a single unwinnable MU in theory, or at least, it hasn't been proven otherwise yet.

(Quick word on Bayo, whether or not you think Ness has an advantage you can't deny that even or close to even with Bayo is huge, especially for a mid tier. Also Luco I'd love to see your logic for Mewtwo potentially being "about even" in some form (post, pm, twitter link, VODs, whatever) if you find the time, because imo that MU is dodgy.)

As an aside, if you want to see real Ness optimism in it's purest form, Mr R put out a Sheik MU chart on Twitter yesterday and according to him, Ness is only +1 to Sheik so yeah. Shoutouts to S1 I suppose. I really want him to be right though!
Not saying the MU is unwinnable but I think it's bad enough to just use a secondary instead. I'll be more specific with my wording from now on

I still think Cloud punishes harder in that specific MU though. Blow for blow Ness does more damage but when you add it all up Cloud does more as a whole mainly because it's just easier for him to maintain his advantage against Ness as opposed to the other way around. If you look at that video Luco posted you will see some moments where S1 eats A LOT of damage (basically a whole stocks worth) because it's so hard to reset to neutral in this MU.

...Also, I think Ness vs Bayo is even. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that Ness wins. I disagree.

My reasoning TLDR: They both hit hard on and off stage, Ness has better kill options and Bayo is light, Bayos neutral isn't oppressive and neither is Ness's, WT discourages use of normals which makes neutral and advantage a bit difficult for Ness, WT confirms can kill as early as 70%, Bayos edgegaurds are more deadly.

I can go into more detail later if you would like

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm glad we brought up platform camping I've wanted to talk about it for a while now but never had the chance. Anyway

Platform camping is actually an extremely strong strategy against characters specifically with either poor mobility, or poor Up airs, or against characters that struggle to land. This strategy is particularly effective against low level player because most of them do not have the attention span to try and not hit you.

I've experimented with platform camping against a lot of characters and can say it DOES work in practice along with theory. There's an amazing video by Tafokints on the subject in his series "Zero to hero" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oiopo_9u6SU

The video is an hour long but now is my chance to self promote. In my notebook I've written about platform usage which was basically taken from Tafo's video (link to it is here https://1drv.ms/o/s!Ags84JuCyNmDr2iqKdMw0OKSZXug )

To find it go to fundamental concepts>platform usage (try to ignore some of the other stuff, some of the notebook is really outdated)
What would you consider a poor up air?

Damage, hitbox size, FAF?
Like for example, lucas has a uair that deals 13% and has a relatively low FAF, but the hitbox is small. On the other hand, you have Mario who has a weak uair with a very low FAF and a good hitbox.

Are they both good?

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
What would you consider a poor up air?

Damage, hitbox size, FAF?
Like for example, lucas has a uair that deals 13% and has a relatively low FAF, but the hitbox is small. On the other hand, you have Mario who has a weak uair with low lag and a good hitbox.

Are they both good?
I definitely should have gone into more detail on this. I'll use Lucas's Uair for this

Like you said, while Lucas has a strong low FAF Uair it is still relatively against camping on the top platform for a few reasons. One is that you can more than likely react to it and powershield shield drop it which will usually put you below Lucas. This is because it is a small move meaning it takes Lucas longer to the reach the spot where his Uair will hit you out of a FH. Another problem with it is that if the Uair ends up being baited there is not much to space around stopping you from going to any part of the stage you would like.

For Mario's Uair I'm honestly not to sure. I wouldn't personally platform camp against a Mario. Since while he can struggle to hit the top platform his options at stopping you from touching the ground again are strong. As well as being able to potentially FLUDD you off the platform or just poke you to death on them.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Do you mean [*spoiler][*/spoiler] or [*spoiler=description goes here][*/spoiler] without the *?

Ness' yo-yo is a good ledge guard option but any move that catches Cloud offstage is going to kill him. I don't see yo-yo as a big advantage only Ness has.
Thanks, the standard is usually [hide].

Re the post itself, it's obviously not something that turns a matchup around, but the conversation was about Ness not getting anihilated by Cloud the way he does by Corrin or Rosa. Random things like that that means that your opponent still has to respect the character, which is usually more than one can say for really one sided matchups.

Also Lucas is one of the better examples of characters that platform camping is effective against. None of his aerials can cover the top platform on triplats very well and he doesn't have the mobility/grab stats to tomohawk.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Luco Luco you're starting to sound like Envoy of Chaos Envoy of Chaos

Ness v Bayo is even at best for Ness. Why? Witch Time
Can I get some clarification on what move from Ness bayo is looking to witch time? Ness only uses up airs, bairs, or throws for kills. Ness shouldn't be getting witch timed much if at all.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
While I wont really repeat what Luco and PK Bash already stated on the Cloud-Ness MU since they share my same thoughts on it I will state by no means am I a blind optimist in Ness. I completely understand his limitation and shortcomings, its not me being optimistic when I agree that Cloud-Ness isnt a wash its me being realistic about the character. If there is one thing that I see misconstrued often its Ness' MU Chart. In my opinion the only two characters that can actually wash Ness out is Sheik and Corrin. Rosalina isnt a wash its bad, but not Corrin bad. Way to many people just assume because they can toss Ness off stage and gimplol or out range Ness they dominate him and its just not true. Ness isnt a character that needs to win neutral that much to get a kill because like Luco pointed out his punish and advantage is explosive, you get grabbed once and next thing you know you've taken 35% and are off stage with PK Thunder flying towards you adding on more damage and sometimes even gimping you (I recently defeated a local Cloud by this same scenario)

Yes, Ness has clear weakness that can be exploited on. Yes, the weaknesses are enough to hold him back from being a Top 15 character and maybe even a top 20. But unless you are Corrin or Sheik (And still but probably not for much longer, Rosalina) your not going to beat him for free as long as he has such a strong advantage, which thanks to people like Flashwire and many others is getting more optimized and deadly each day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom