• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbatim

Smash Ace
[
1st: NiTe :rosalina:
2nd: PowPow :4sonic:
3rd: JJROCKETS :4diddy:
4th: Panda Bair :4villager:
Alternate End was a special tournament that banned DLC characters. IDK if it should count for the ranking project (iirc it doesn't count for the Chicago PR).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Alternate End was a special tournament that banned DLC characters. IDK if it should count for the ranking project (iirc it doesn't count for the Chicago PR).
Why ban all DLC? Only Bayo and Cloud would make sense, and that's obviously going on a HUGE stretch.

Idk. Any tournament banning freaking Roy confuses me.

DLCprejudice is real.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to include results that bar certain characters from participating that are not widely banned. It's just a tournament that the DLc miss out on with no control and thus stagnant in point, if this trend continued (hypothetically of course I know it wouldn't happen widespread).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't know how solid of a strategy it is to go Lucario against a character who can so easily kill you at any percent. Also her edgegaurding is quite good and recovery is one of Lucario's exploitable weaknesses.
Bayonetta won't usually kill you at random percents unless you're really poor at the MU. Also, Bayo's edgeguarding is typically strongest at exhausting resources - less so at directly killing the opponent (but she does that too at times). Lucario has to be put into the blastzone, or he's usually not going to die.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Yes, due to that very fact that characters were omitted from competing that are otherwise legal at every other tournament and players like Tyroy obviously could not use his primary character and if Ned wanted to compete he was basically out of luck without Coud. It was confirmed in the Chicago Smash 4 group it wasn't a PR eligible event due to these reasons and thus won't effect their PR stats. Very odd Dreamland was legal in a DLC-less tourney, though, you'd think they'd go the whole mile with that and keep it banned for this particular event...oh well.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I had no idea Alternate End was DLC-less. That's interesting.

To make up for it, have an MSM:

MSM 107 (123 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: CLG l Humuhumunukunukuapua'a :4sheik:
2nd: Falln :rosalina:
3rd: Aarvark :4villager:
4th: Nicko :4shulk:
5th: Razo :4peach:
5th: Phantom :4diddy: :4cloud2:
7th: Ven :4zelda:
7th: Charger :4ness:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I saw somebody mention holding Banana vs Diddy Kong limits his options; may have been NairWizard NairWizard .

Tbh this is true, and I don't see it bought up often.

I believe ZeRo is quite the liar when he says Marth/Lucina beat Diddy. This MU is not really fun for either side in reality, and I think it's just him saying this because he's lost a lot to Leo's Marth in the past.

However, one thing I like in that MU personally is when I grab Diddy's Banana. With Marth, you don't need to get fancy with z-dropping Banana into an aerial to regrab it or anything like that, because you have Dancing Blade. When Diddy goes on the offense while you're holding his Banana, you can shield and punish with Dancing Blade. You can even opt to go on the offense with Dancing Blade yourself and the beauty of this is when Diddy starts to expect it and shield, you have Shield Breaker. You'd be surprised how well this works.

Even then, just getting good at z-dropping and recatching your items to use aerials is a good skill to practice, comes in handy in this MU in particular. I suppose as I mess around with Peach it's something I feel it is a useful skill (helps with turnip tricks and mindgames).

---

I actually think Lucario is Bayos worst matchup.
This is interesting. Why so?

I only ask, because I too used to think this. Our area has a Lucario player so I get to play this MU most weeks.

Again, I used to think Lucario was one of (if not) Bayonetta's worst MU, up until recently however, when I changed up my Bayonetta playstyle and game drastically.

I used to play a more approaching game, getting just out of the opponents range and using things like Nair and Dtilt to poke and get things started. This made life against Lucario a little harder looking back at things because any time I missed I ran the risk of being punished, and seeing as Bayonetta's overall approach is poorer than usual, that runs the risk of being punished too. Not fun when on occasions you can die at 35% for messing up.

You're from the UK too, so you'll know if I go more in depth with players and such.

Think back to Albion 2 and OwlBabies. I strongly believe this style of Bayonetta is one of, if not the best style to be playing. I started trying to mimic and implement this playstyle shortly after watching him. Salem implements this very patient, wait for the opponent to approach/f**k up and punish in tandem with other tricks, and while that is probably more optimal, simply playing patient and waiting/camping with Bullet Climax, and held Dtilt and Nair to add chip damage has made MU's I used to personally struggle with, a hell of a lot easier.

Characters like Ness and Lucario have suddenly become a lot easier for me. When I get the lead, I want to just sit back and force Lucario to come to me. Bayonetta has more than enough tools and options to punish Lucario's approach, be it Twist 1 and ABK (which can beat out/trade with Aura Sphere charge coming in from above), or even punishing his landings with Dtilt etc. He wants to be jumping a lot and starting things with Aura Sphere charge, so covering his air space with Bullet Climax cuts his main approach option down to size also.

Of course, anything with Lucario, one mistake can spell death; this is any MU though, and it's just a Lucario thing. However, I do believe Bayonetta has enough to deal with Lucario to beat him if you're playing the correct playstyle.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
In the Bayo Lucario matchup:
1. Lucario does well vs special based combos meaning aerial based combos are better. But this means Lucario will simply gain aura as aerial combos don't kill
2. Lucario can play a very good anti witch time game as he has very strong grab follow ups, doesn't necessarily pressure with a high amount of witch timeable normals.
3. Lucario side b is a devasting witch time punish (although high aura side b spacing is less effective bc witch time)
4. Aura sphere means Bayo can't camp Lucario out with a decent risk:reward (except with a low percent stock lead potentially if she uses this to entice a poor aerial approach from Lucario to lead into a vertical Combo that starts near the top of the screen
5. Edgeguarding Lucario is pretty hard when he has high aura due to the sheer velocity it travels at. Best option to edgeguard him is probably going for a untechabble witch twist if Lucario goes low.

Essentially Lucario has these key strengths
1.strong grab game
2. Bayo can't camp Lucario out
3.massive punish game
4. Has a strong anti witch time game
5. Doesn't really get edgeguarded too badly
6. Plays a ground game by default which is so key vs bayo

Iirc tsu actually hasn't lost to a bayo yet? I don't really count marss lucario vs Zack/Salem bc he got caught by non true fair strings iirc
Need to confirm
Edit: seems like him and 9b are evenish in sets

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
In the Bayo Lucario matchup:
1. Lucario does well vs special based combos meaning aerial based combos are better. But this means Lucario will simply gain aura as aerial combos don't kill
2. Lucario can play a very good anti witch time game as he has very strong grab follow ups, doesn't necessarily pressure with a high amount of witch timeable normals.
3. Lucario side b is a devasting witch time punish (although high aura side b spacing is less effective bc witch time)
4. Aura sphere means Bayo can't camp Lucario out with a decent risk:reward (except with a low percent stock lead potentially if she uses this to entice a poor aerial approach from Lucario to lead into a vertical Combo that starts near the top of the screen
5. Edgeguarding Lucario is pretty hard when he has high aura due to the sheer velocity it travels at. Best option to edgeguard him is probably going for a untechabble witch twist if Lucario goes low.

Essentially Lucario has these key strengths
1.strong grab game
2. Bayo can't camp Lucario out
3.massive punish game
4. Has a strong anti witch time game
5. Doesn't really get edgeguarded too badly
6. Plays a ground game by default which is so key vs bayo

Iirc tsu actually hasn't lost to a bayo yet? I don't really count marss lucario vs Zack/Salem bc he got caught by non true fair strings iirc
Need to confirm
Interesting stuff to think about I suppose.

But another thing then, while we're on Lucario...

I know you main Sheik, so what's your opinion on Sheik:Lucario?

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Interesting stuff to think about I suppose.

But another thing then, while we're on Lucario...

I know you main Sheik, so what's your opinion on Sheik:Lucario?
I think Sheik wins bc of how smothering she can be in neutral and advantage, but Smash is a player v player game first and foremost so Sheik players can get read and give openings and Lucario has massive punishes on Sheik if she cannot secure the kill, which happens to pretty much every Sheik but Void is better at killing early.

I guess an issue in the mu is Lucario is pretty much guaranteed to hit at least 100% so if Lucario gains momentum he can turn the game in a blink of an eye.

Sheik combos Lucario really well, has uthrow uair on Lucario, can edgeguard him with BF/needles, and outneutrals him hard if she plays around the grab. Aura sphere setups in neutral are potent but it mainly connects only if Sheik overextends.

I dont really want to put a ratio on it because the matchup is literally kill Lucario before he gets control of the game with max aura and there isnt really a ratio on that.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Okay so I know there are people with differing opinions on Ryu in here, but can I just highlight again that Ryu's damage output is actually insane?

So Sheik can hit an opponent at 0% and string, what, 5 or 6 moves together for an easy 25-30%?

That's cute; how about Ryu dealing 32% in JUST TWO MOVES?! (video below linked to example)

Straight after I saw a 42% combo. This one wasn't even a low percent combo, and was done at low/mid percent.

What's even more amazing (or silly), is that those two combos are all Ryu needs to take a stock. Straight after this, a Utilt Shoryuken ALMOST killed, only didn't thanks to JK's exceptional DI.

So yeah, Ryu isn't top 10, that I absolutely agree with that statement.

Now, I'm not implying that because of this point alone (he's got plenty more great points about him that heavily outweigh his cons), but, if we're considering top tier more than the Bayo, Diddy, Cloud, Sheik and Rosa it's sometimes thought to be now, he's absolutely top tier.

---

Also, and a small post on Bat Within.

It's amazing and gets Bayonetta out of certain aerial strings, but remember that it is not unpunishable and a get out of jail free card all the time.

Example:

---

Holy-f*cking-sh*t, this set has so much to analyse and comment on.

Look here at this clip:

At first glance, it's a Dtilt to Shoryuken barely not killing right? Wrong.

Look again. Slow it down. Keep pausing it to take it clips at a time.

Watch Bayonetta as she gets hit by the Shoryuken. Notice how she ends up BELOW the platform? JK was SDI'ing the Shorkuken into the ground to assist in survival!

I'll bet that had he not done that he would have definitely been KO'd. Who does that?!

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
All in context, my good sir.

Lucario's max aura allows him to take your stock in two hits flat (as one of my friends often does) and yet this ability comes with heavy compensations and drawbacks that mean his overall viability is perhaps less than top tier.

And this applies to Ryu as well - we know his neutral is out-classed by characters with better mobility and walling capabilities, we know Ryu can't commit to jumps except for Bair walling, we know his recovery is very fragile, all this power comes at a real cost.

Ryu is *explosive*, that can't be ignored and it's one of his most defining traits, but consistency is a virtue and has been shown to damage his national viability in the long run. I would argue Ryu is a high tier and stands as somewhat of a gatekeeper, but he's not exactly in shape and that's one gatekeeper I can run away from.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Bayo seems to be a hot topic so I wanted to share this with you guys, I'm normally reticent about using twitter as a platform for meaningful discussions and debates but I wasn't here at the time and Discord is no way to log an essay so here it is. Long time no see btw! I'll try to be more active again. <3

https://twitter.com/PSILuco/status/889462336267976704

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Two quick things:

1) If Lucario wants, he can be just as patient as the Bayonetta. Aura Sphere is a pretty good projectile, and probably the reason Zack's planking list had Lucario as not worth it.

2) Tsu has lost to a few Bayonetta's recently, which has changed his opinion on the MU. But according to JK (one of the people he lost to), this is because his aggression gets him Witch Timed, and he doesn't have good SDI. So take that as you will.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well what are considered "Losing" MU's for Bayo anymore. From what I have seen :4diddy: is considered around even now, and Bayo mains have been adapting and getting better vs other previous MU people though were suspect such as:4luigi::4ness:

:rosalina::4mario: :4sonic:also seem even at worst. and she slightly beats :4mewtwo: :4zss:....maybe :4fox:

The only MU's I can think of where she may be at a disadvantage are maybe :4cloud2: and maybe :4sheik: but the advantage heavily depends on the stage .

:4tlink: has been said to beat Bayo in theory. But there has been so few recorded sets in the MU it's hard to say for sure.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Idk why Diddy was ever thought to beat Bayonetta. Or Luigi.

Cloud has gotten worse for her over time, previously considered to be free. I figure others will pop up in a similar manner over time.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Not going to bother with ratios, but...

If I'm being brutally honest, I could see :rosalina:developing into a troublesome MU for Bayonetta, especially if they all start playing it the way Dabuz plays it.

Bayonetta has some good moves for getting rid of Luma, but they're all easily shielded or put Bayonetta in a position where she can absolutely be punished for attempting, be it by something committal like a Smash or Uair, or non-committal like a simple grab.

I have personally been having issues in this MU too. What's more, I have also been struggling less and less vs Bayonetta as Rosalina myself (though part of that could be due to me just becoming better with Rosalina after talking with/getting help from some of her UK top players).

Though in terms of other MU's, I definitely think :4cloud:is not a winning MU it once was. It's even at worst, and I personally feel Cloud has enough going with him to beat her.

I also think that :4sheik:should be doing pretty well against Bayonetta. Sheik is the perfect character to get easily combo'd and killed early by Bayonetta stuff however, which can skew how things should go. On paper, Sheik has the tools to out neutral Bayonetta, as well as outcamp her (needles).

:4sonic:is troublesome if you don't camp. If you play dumb by combining camping, utilising platforms (so banning FD), and forcing him to come to you, I feel he's manageable. It's a similar story for :4ness:. Don't overcommit, just play it steady, and get the lead. Make him come to you and there's not a while lot he can do to you in general. It's when you're forced to go in yourself for the kill that it becomes an issue (overall bad approach options = easily shielded into Bthrow).

:4fox:will always be an iffy one if just because of Fair chaining him off stage, but that aside, Fox actually has more than enough to contest with Bayonetta himself. He is arguably one of the best top tiers at punishing her for making a wrong move (be it a poor landing after a dropped combo, or a missed Witch Time), thanks to his sheer speed and power with Up Smash. I'd also say that Fox has developed one of the most too, like Cloud, and I can honestly see this MU as more even these days.

And I still think that :4diddy: has the tools and options to beat Bayonetta good enough. In recent times, Diddy players not knowing how to deal with Bayonetta (thinks back to MVD vs Zack) and just barely losing (ZeRo vs Salem) may have shifted general opinion into thinking it's now even, but I still believe Diddy has enough in his tank to deal with her.

And honestly, I don't think ANY of the top tier characters outright lose to her. I feel like they can all do enough when played correctly to at least keep up with her; this includes the likes of :4mario:,:4marth:,:4mewtwo:,:4ryu:,:4zss:, though :4ryu:might be a minor disadvantage on paper, but as Locus proved in that set I showed previously, it's more than do-able.

So, in short, my opinions on Bayonetta's Top Tier MU's:

Minor (+Potential) Disadvantage: :4cloud::4sheik::rosalina::4diddy:(though I will admit that if we see enough of Diddy losing, could be even)
Even: :4sonic::4mario::4marth::4mewtwo::4zss:
Minor Advantage: :4ryu:

Non top tier characters that notably good against her include the likes of :4lucario::4luigi:and:4ness:, but I can't form a proper opinion on these tbh. Pretty much every other character in the game though, Bayonetta should be beating to varying degrees IMO.

ArnoldPalmer

Smash Apprentice
:4tlink: has been said to beat Bayo in theory. But there has been so few recorded sets in the MU it's hard to say for sure.
Toon Link was considered a tough matchup for prepatch Bayo, back when Hyuga was still competing a lot. Now since Hyuga is back maybe well get to see how the matchup plays out for real

NairWizard

Somewhere
Need to confirm

Tsu was actually saying on twitter that the he thinks the Bayo matchup is impossible for Lucario because Tsu's lost to Bayos like 9B, Ikep, JK, etc. without knowing what to do. If I remember correctly he was saying that he needs a secondary for the MU.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Not going to bother with ratios, but...

If I'm being brutally honest, I could see :rosalina:developing into a troublesome MU for Bayonetta, especially if they all start playing it the way Dabuz plays it.

Bayonetta has some good moves for getting rid of Luma, but they're all easily shielded or put Bayonetta in a position where she can absolutely be punished for attempting, be it by something committal like a Smash or Uair, or non-committal like a simple grab.

I have personally been having issues in this MU too. What's more, I have also been struggling less and less vs Bayonetta as Rosalina myself (though part of that could be due to me just becoming better with Rosalina after talking with/getting help from some of her UK top players).

Though in terms of other MU's, I definitely think :4cloud:is not a winning MU it once was. It's even at worst, and I personally feel Cloud has enough going with him to beat her.

I also think that :4sheik:should be doing pretty well against Bayonetta. Sheik is the perfect character to get easily combo'd and killed early by Bayonetta stuff however, which can skew how things should go. On paper, Sheik has the tools to out neutral Bayonetta, as well as outcamp her (needles).

:4sonic:is troublesome if you don't camp. If you play dumb by combining camping, utilising platforms (so banning FD), and forcing him to come to you, I feel he's manageable. It's a similar story for :4ness:. Don't overcommit, just play it steady, and get the lead. Make him come to you and there's not a while lot he can do to you in general. It's when you're forced to go in yourself for the kill that it becomes an issue (overall bad approach options = easily shielded into Bthrow).

:4fox:will always be an iffy one if just because of Fair chaining him off stage, but that aside, Fox actually has more than enough to contest with Bayonetta himself. He is arguably one of the best top tiers at punishing her for making a wrong move (be it a poor landing after a dropped combo, or a missed Witch Time), thanks to his sheer speed and power with Up Smash. I'd also say that Fox has developed one of the most too, like Cloud, and I can honestly see this MU as more even these days.

And I still think that :4diddy: has the tools and options to beat Bayonetta good enough. In recent times, Diddy players not knowing how to deal with Bayonetta (thinks back to MVD vs Zack) and just barely losing (ZeRo vs Salem) may have shifted general opinion into thinking it's now even, but I still believe Diddy has enough in his tank to deal with her.

And honestly, I don't think ANY of the top tier characters outright lose to her. I feel like they can all do enough when played correctly to at least keep up with her; this includes the likes of :4mario:,:4marth:,:4mewtwo:,:4ryu:,:4zss:, though :4ryu:might be a minor disadvantage on paper, but as Locus proved in that set I showed previously, it's more than do-able.

So, in short, my opinions on Bayonetta's Top Tier MU's:

Minor (+Potential) Disadvantage: :4cloud::4sheik::rosalina::4diddy:(though I will admit that if we see enough of Diddy losing, could be even)
Even: :4sonic::4mario::4marth::4mewtwo::4zss:
Minor Advantage: :4ryu:

Non top tier characters that notably good against her include the likes of :4lucario::4luigi:and:4ness:, but I can't form a proper opinion on these tbh. Pretty much every other character in the game though, Bayonetta should be beating to varying degrees IMO.
:4mario:struggles a lot with bayo's evasive capabilities, often finding difficulty even landing hits presuming that the bayo commits to a defensive gameplan. bayo has an unparalleled ability to essentially ignore mario's footsies and escape his pressure by abusing platform camping, planking, and general defensive spacing with her large hitboxes to combat mario's poor range and average mobility. mario doesn't have a disjointed poke or projectile to play wth safely against bayonetta; he has to commit to finding some way into bayonetta's space. i honestly believe that this matchup could be as bad as 6-4 if the bayonetta plays optimally, but it's at least a slight advantage for her. mario's combination of survivability and punish game give him the ability to win in the long game if he manages to land the hits he needs, but it's just so hard to land those hits in the first place because bayonetta has arguably the best pure defense in the cast. it's also risky to poke at bayo on platforms because mario can't really kill her for doing witch time, meaning she has no reason not to go for witch times that could result in mario's death. there's also a significant strike to mario's survivability in that bayonetta is one of the best characters at edgeguarding mario.

:4mewtwo:would do so much better against bayonetta if it weren't for his large frame and light weight. the fact of the matter is, though, mewtwo gets abused pretty hard by bayo, even though his projectile and overall defensive kit give him a solid neutral. if mewtwo plays the strong keepaway game and can avoid getting hit, he does a really good job against bayonetta, especially because he doesn't have much trouble killing her consistently. the issue is that bayonetta's punishes on him are borderline unfair. he gets comboed almost as bad as heavies (sdi doesn't necessarily help him escape) without the weight to survive uair and bair for a decent amount of time. his weight+size combo is so bad in this mu that i can't see it as even; he doesn't win neutral enough overall to compensate.

:4zss:really seems to just get outclassed by bayo - it's not a good matchup for her at all. she's used to struggling against good neutrals, and she does in this matchup with the combination of bayo's really low crouch, effective anti-airs, and good burst escape options, but there's another big issue - she has a worse punish game. zss loses neutral and loses the punish game, so how does she even up this matchup? she has to rely on punish game with less room to make mistakes than her opponent, which is just a losing battle. the best thing zss has going for her is that she doesn't really get camped, but bayonetta has the ability to shut down her options regardless of this. we've seen this come to fruition at top level play in the numerous dominating encounters salem has had with nairo. nairo is not even remotely bad at fighting bayo, but salem abuses zss's weakness in brutal fashion. aside from a solitary 0-3 defeat at ceo, salem has dominated nairo throughout this year, with two 3-0 wins and two 3-1 wins. this matchup is bad on paper and has been shown to be brutal for zero suit at top level on numerous occasions.

:4fox:vs bayo will never be even no matter how much fox players push it unless he learns some magical way to escape guaranteed combos. fox is one of the best characters at pressuring bayo and punishing her for picking the wrong options, but the punish game is far too dumb. it's sort of like how sheik definitely beats fox despite the fact that he has a lot going for him in neutral and punishes himself; one hit can easily lead to death. this matchup will look worse as bayonetta players remember how to do the (guaranteed) forward air string on fox that they aren't executing consistently right now. fox cannot just expect to win neutral and play perfectly because a lot of the things he does in neutral to find openings are inherently commitments that bayo can capitalize on.

:rosalina:beating bayo is an idea i've floated before based on dabuz's success, but ultimately i concluded that dabuz is just really good at the matchup. this is reinforced to me by the fact that dabuz still says the matchup is even despite his prowess in it, and not top bayo or rosa player says the matchup is worse than even for bayo. if you break down the actual sets, dabuz makes a ton of small good decisions when fighting bayo, to the point where it's very obvious that he's outplaying his opponent. couple that with the relatively small sample size of sets, especially in recent months, i'm just not convinced that dabuz's dominance in the matchup shows more of rosa's prowess in the matchup than his own skill in the matchup, especially seeing how much the other top rosas tend to struggle with bayonetta. i'd need a really strong argument based on rosa's options and how she deals with bayous counterplay to believe that this matchup is in rosa's favor.

:4diddy:has never, at any point, had a winning matchup against bayonetta. bayonetta players have been doing well against diddy for much longer than evo, including 2 past wins over the best diddy kong (zero) by salem himself in september of last year. as bayo players across the board have improved at the matchup, results that seemed to favor diddy kong at some point have all but evaporated. salem, captain zack, mistake, and 9b (those are the main ones) have gone head-to-head with numerous top diddy kong players and either come out on top or had very close sets on nearly all occasions. diddy is essentially forced to play a war of attrition against bayo because he can't really force her to do anything. the risk/reward on hitting buttons and pursuing bayo is really bad, so diddy is forced to play a long defensive game. as we've seen, bayonetta absolutely has the options to apply pressure to diddy kong, and severely outrewards him to the point where it doesn't matter if she gets hit a few times when trying to approach. i've played and watched this matchup so many times that i can't see diddy winning it at all.

:4sheik:is one of the best characters at fighting bayo because she is one of the few characters that can both apply pressure and play safely against bayo. sheik's speed, projectile, and solid grab game give her solid options to deal with bayo. i actually think the biggest issue with this matchup is that sheik doesn't have enough good stages. if sheik could consistently play on fd or town, she'd beat bayonetta. the issue is that you only get one of these picks per set unless the bayonetta player lets you. sheik is really bad at dealing with bayonetta's platform camping, to the point where winning on a tri plat stage is really hard. you'd think smashville is good for sheik, but she can make a lot of use of the platform there as well. lylat is obviously a good bayonetta stage, but in his set against salem, void pretty much ran out of options and was either forced to deal with lylat bayo or bayo on smashville.

:4cloud2:has the best matchup in the game against bayo and is probably by far the closest character to beating her. cloud's combination of large, noncommittal disjoints and mobility give him uniquely effective options to fight her in neutral and create an actual advantage state against her. this is another matchup i've played a lot, and it's true that cloud has a lot of strengths. the reason i (and most cloud players) hesitate to say that cloud actually wins is that his disadvantage state leaves too much open against bayo. she can be losing for extended periods of time, but she gets so much out of her overall advantage state and edgeguarding that it takes very consistent and careful play to maintain an advantage against bayonetta. it's simple to say 'just edgeguard cloud', but in most matchups his general advantages in neutral and polarizing advantage state make it very difficult to put him in that position. bayonetta has consistent setups to hit cloud offstage from anywhere on the stage and eliminate his stocks, even if he has limit recovery online. she doesn't even do that bad in neutral if she plays patiently around cloud's options and goes for safe pokes. if bayo loses a matchup, it's this one, but i really think it's just even.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Characters with effective camping games can give bayo trouble, as do those with superior defense, like Rosa. While they might not be losing per se, they're much closer.

Tink for example does really well. Outcamps her, has superior mobility, and kills more easily. His poor grab can sometimes hurt but he gets to play so noncommittally it's not even funny.

Rosa demands Luma to be killed and when Luma is dead demands bayo to approach lest she waste the time she spent killing it. Since bayo's approach game is slow, weak, and near reactable, it doesn't look too good on her. Luckily, bayo can kill luma fairly easily.

Cloud does well, but I don't think it's that bad for bayo. She still forces the approach and has no reason to worry about grabs. The difference in killing is made up for with Cloud's extreme susceptibility to combos and edgeguards, especially from bayo, and it seems that Cloud has to be the one that baits and punishes more to consistently win the neutral without a grab.

I still think Mewtwo is even, actually. He gets punished hard but good SDI still mitigates kill combos, no matter how big and floaty he is, and he's got low lag, a potent camping game, strong anti airs, good air-to-airs, and obvious ease with killing.

Greninja still does well methinks, being faster, having better frame data, more potent camping, and an arguably better neutral (at least in the mu) with less trouble killing. The worst thing for him is that he has trouble recovering and can get comboed hard.

Sheik and Diddy have too low of a damage output to consistently beat bayo's punishes. With Diddy killing more easily and Sheik being impossible to edgeguard, they're both about even, methinks.

Only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Pika, being hard to hit, having a superior neutral, and killing with about the same or greater ease, the only reason Pika doesn't win is that a campy bayo is actually as hard to hit as a campy Pika.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Tsu was actually saying on twitter that the he thinks the Bayo matchup is impossible for Lucario because Tsu's lost to Bayos like 9B, Ikep, JK, etc. without knowing what to do. If I remember correctly he was saying that he needs a secondary for the MU.
As JK said it's tsu being too aggressive in the MU, this was also mentioned above but if lucario is patient and plays more of a reactive role in the MU and is aware on how to DI/SDI her combos he's almost always going to live past 100% and at that point it becomes much easier to exploit her rather mediocre approach game (remember guys poor approach =/= poor neutral) with aura sphere and wave-bounce force palm flames.

And speaking of tsu I need to get this small rant off chest now tsu is an absolute joy to watch his spacing, reads, and movement are unparalleled and I'm in no way trying convince anyone that he isn't the best lucario (with the wins that he has it would be stupid to say that he isn't) but my god he Doesn't. Know. When. To. Slow. Down. Look at his set vs Hikaru:

He does so many things that are unsafe on shield and is pretty much the sole reason why people think DK is lucario's worst MU (yes guys DK is not lucario's worst MU Fox is his worst) there's a few points during the set were he could have backed off a bit and played more defensively whether he could have pulled out and thrown more aura spheres and not throw them next to DK or platform camped and play more of a anti grab play-style, one big thing he never utilizes at all is using ASC (aura sphere charge) defensively.

Fun Fact: if you use ASC with your backed turned to the opponent you literally can't be grabbed by any character without a tether grab yes even Bowser can't grab you.

When you play lucario you really need to be aware on when its time for aggression and when its time to back off and yes while that can said for a lot of characters the reason why its so important here is that knowing when to go in or pull back can mean the difference between having aura for the entire set and dominating your opponent, or never having aura because you overextended too much and now you're playing behind for the entire game. If tsu slows down his play-style and plays a more reactive role in some MUs (especially DK and Bayonetta) he would be a top 5 threat in japan easily maybe even top 3.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
As JK said it's tsu being too aggressive in the MU, this was also mentioned above but if lucario is patient and plays more of a reactive role in the MU and is aware on how to DI/SDI her combos he's almost always going to live past 100% and at that point it becomes much easier to exploit her rather mediocre approach game (remember guys poor approach =/= poor neutral) with aura sphere and wave-bounce force palm flames.

And speaking of tsu I need to get this small rant off chest now tsu is an absolute joy to watch his spacing, reads, and movement are unparalleled and I'm in no way trying convince anyone that he isn't the best lucario (with the wins that he has it would be stupid to say that he isn't) but my god he Doesn't. Know. When. To. Slow. Down. Look at his set vs Hikaru:

He does so many things that are unsafe on shield and is pretty much the sole reason why people think DK is lucario's worst MU (yes guys DK is not lucario's worst MU Fox is his worst) there's a few points during the set were he could have backed off a bit and played more defensively whether he could have pulled out and thrown more aura spheres and not throw them next to DK or platform camped and play more of a anti grab play-style, one big thing he never utilizes at all is using ASC (aura sphere charge) defensively.

Fun Fact: if you use ASC with your backed turned to you character you literally can't be grabbed by any character without a tether grab yes even Bowser can't grab you.

When you play lucario you really need to be aware on when its time for aggression and when its time to back off and yes while that can said for a lot of characters the reason why its so important here is that knowing when to go in or pull back can mean the difference between having aura for the entire set and dominating your opponent, or never having aura because you overextended too much and now you're playing behind for the entire game. If tsu slows down his play-style and plays a more reactive role in some MUs (especially DK and Bayonetta) he would be a top 5 threat in japan easily maybe even top 3.
Who are you to criticize better players, mate?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
He was offering criticism. If players all had to be "somebodies" to comment on top level play and the game at a competitive level, well... This thread wouldn't exist LMAO

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
"lets see YOU do better" is a fallacy people use when they don't actually have any counterpoints but still feel like fighting criticism they don't like, pls don't use it

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
If you have to be better than the people who you're criticizing/offering tips to on their play, explain to me why in god's name would the best players in smash would ever think about having a coach go ahead I'll wait.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
It's possible to see what better players are getting punished for while still acknowledging the fact that they're better players.

Criticism that only attacks players is obviously off the table. But we should be able to discuss. As someone said above - if we can't, there's really no reason for this thread.

Wish more top players would continue to participate in these discussions, but *shrug*

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Only because knowledge?
I don't have to be a chef to know if a dish is bad.

Likewise I don't have to be a pro smash player to know that a maneuver was unsafe.

Even pros do things like going on autopilot.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
An interesting synthesis of ideas has been happening in this thread.

Olimar is listed as having a good matchup against Diddy, but a bad matchup against Yoshi.

The reason cited for Yoshi doing well is that Olimar is weak to air camping. The ability to weave through the air and throw out lingering aerials is key.

One of Diddy's weaknesses is low air speed, I.e. Diddy cannot air camp. Could this be why Olimar might so well?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
A few things which are unsafe on hit. side-B, f-tilt, interrupted (landing) multi hit aerials.
All these are just game mechanics. I know he's not the only one to have low-percent tilts be punishable on hit, and the aerials are mainly a result of Pit having rather poor landing lag numbers.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
All these are just game mechanics. I know he's not the only one to have low-percent tilts be punishable on hit, and the aerials are mainly a result of Pit having rather poor landing lag numbers.
I can name one character who has a move that is punishable even if it kills :(

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
To add to an earlier discussion about only being able to give criticism if you're a good player...um....have you SEEN some of the opinions some of the top players throw out? It's all over the place! The reason we discuss these things has already been talked about at length and as previously stated even pro players sometimes run on autopilot (and if you typically crush your opponents with the same strategy it's easy to fall into the pattern), the reason we discuss these things at length is that it helps to see the views of several different people from the outside looking in. You'd be surprised by what even the best players miss that someone elsed noticed.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

One of those things that should be obvious, but I've never thought about it before.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

One if those things that should be obvious, but I've never thought about it before.
Less safe doesn't mean it still isn't safe. Range, disjoint, and shield pushback are also things to consider.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Less safe doesn't mean it still isn't safe. Range, disjoint, and shield pushback are also things to consider.
Sure, but the extra few frames you get when a Mario has usmashed your shield after using it seven times in a row could be the difference between getting a stock or resetting to neutral.

So it's mostly something to be cognizant of.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
It only becomes stale if it hits though, so a mario spamming upsmash at kill percent wont make a difference.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Sure, but the extra few frames you get when a Mario has usmashed your shield after using it seven times in a row could be the difference between getting a stock or resetting to neutral.

So it's mostly something to be cognizant of.
So thats why sometimes I can dash attack Mario upsmash oos sometimes and other times I get blown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom