• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
M/Kome/Nicko set losses by character

For the purposes of this project, I count the h2h of Cloud/Bayo but only use the losses of other characters. This is simply a preview using Shulk.

:4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk:

:4bayonetta: 7 (1 win)
:4cloud2: 4 (3 wins)
:4ryu: 4
:4mewtwo: 4
:4diddy: 3
:rosalina: 3
:4falcon: 3
:4sonic: 3
:4zss: 2
:4fox: 2
:4villager: 2
:4luigi: 2
:4sheik: 2
:4duckhunt: 2
:4samus: 1
:4greninja: 1
:4littlemac: 1
:4rob: 1
:4lucario: 1
:4robinf: 1
:4olimar: 1

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
:4ganondorf: is very easy to play and rewards reads and punishes. His ease of use could explain why he does better than Bjr and others. He gets shut down hard at higher levels.
:4zelda: is moderate difficulty to learn. The problem is she just isn't very good. Zelda can't really force anything and once the opponent learns not to play her game she doesn't have much outside of hard reads. idk about the others.

imo :4gaw: is a good character to learn the game with. He dabbles in zoning, aggression, bait and counter, offstage play and is good for learning chains/juggles.
Still, it seems like characters said to have a low skill floor are doing worse and worse as time progresses, to the point they are in the same tier as those said to have learning curves that are much higher. I couldn't help but wonder if there was a connection.
I wonder if Cloud is relatively bad to use if you're more prone to choking.
I imagine he is, eagerness to get a stock killed causes a waste of Limit, and bad strategy......
But I feel as far as top tiers, Fox is the one you don't want to choke with. See Larry get reverse 3-0'ed at EVO, and other places......Fox must be awful to play if you're choking.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Here's something I thought about that could be very good for discussion:
Often, when someone is new to the game, people say to play usually either Kirby, Pit, or Mario. Why? Partially because they have "low learning curves". However, as it's been seen, there's more to the characters than at first glance, as in, their learning curves aren't as low as one thinks starting out. Interestingly enough, it's right about now that all three of those characters' futures and places in the meta are being looked at differently (not so much Mario, but people question him being better than other top tiers he's above right now).

Does a character's learning cuve affect their representation in tournament, and thus affect why they aren't seen as much as other characters? it certainly seems to explain why many low tier characters (Ganon, D3, Zelda, Pac-Man), are in that position......
Well yeah, time is a precious thing you can't get back. If you want to be the best Pac man than spend all the time with him you want. If you want to be the best player why spend time using a hard to use character like Pac Man compared to a hard to use character like Sheik?

And naturally good characters that aren't hard to use are always going to be popular because again time isn't infinite.

Pyrover

Smash Cadet
I would think characters with low learning curves would see abnormally high amounts of play compared to the rest of the cast, particularly if they are obviously strong characters. Cloud, Mario, and Diddy (particularly pre-patch) have always had slightly inflated results due to ease of use, I would think, whereas Rosa's 8th place in results probably relates to being much more complicated than the rest of the cast.

I would think that higher learning curves would eventually correlate to better results in the long term, but if a character's basics are that good (is. Mario) then they will always do fairly well so long as players like them.

This actually brings another question to mind. Do you guys think characters who initially get a bad rep will suffer results lower than they should actually be getting? Samus, for example, was a perfectly good character for some time, but had a "low-tier stigma" attached to her, so a lot of players just didn't want to put in the effort with a character they were told was weak.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
This actually brings another question to mind. Do you guys think characters who initially get a bad rep will suffer results lower than they should actually be getting? Samus, for example, was a perfectly good character for some time, but had a "low-tier stigma" attached to her, so a lot of players just didn't want to put in the effort with a character they were told was weak.
Of course

Dr. Mario is one of, if not the prime example of this.
The outcome of his design just turned people off from him since Mario is so good, causing him to be heavily overlooked and ended up next to the Miis in tournament results.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I would think characters with low learning curves would see abnormally high amounts of play compared to the rest of the cast, particularly if they are obviously strong characters. Cloud, Mario, and Diddy (particularly pre-patch) have always had slightly inflated results due to ease of use, I would think, whereas Rosa's 8th place in results probably relates to being much more complicated than the rest of the cast.

I would think that higher learning curves would eventually correlate to better results in the long term, but if a character's basics are that good (is. Mario) then they will always do fairly well so long as players like them.

Oh most definitely. People are starting to warm up to Samus though.

In general shifting attitudes takes a long time- after Marth was buffed in 1.14, people thought he was still mid-tier. It wasn't until MKLeo took the character to the pinnacle at Genesis that our perceptions changed. And that's for Marth, a character that no matter how strong he is will always be immensely popular. It's no surprise that it's taken a bit longer with Samus

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Has anyone considered the idea of banning Lylat not for personal bias or jank arguments, but as an alternative method to nerf :4bayonetta::4cloud2:?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Has anyone considered the idea of banning Lylat not for personal bias or jank arguments, but as an alternative method to nerf :4bayonetta::4cloud2:?
The issues with banning Lylat would still remain. Anyway, this thread is not for rule discussion, so let's take that elsewhere? And I don't think banning stages in order to nerf characters is a very good idea. Bayonetta and Cloud aren't strong because of Lylat, anyway.

What do you guys think about Toon Link (:4tlink:)? His results have dropped due to Hyuga not playing in US tournaments, but the character is still the same. I don't think he's top 20 anymore but probably somewhere in top 25. Still high tier?

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Here's something I thought about that could be very good for discussion:
Often, when someone is new to the game, people say to play usually either Kirby, Pit, or Mario. Why? Partially because they have "low learning curves". However, as it's been seen, there's more to the characters than at first glance, as in, their learning curves aren't as low as one thinks starting out. Interestingly enough, it's right about now that all three of those characters' futures and places in the meta are being looked at differently (not so much Mario, but people question him being better than other top tiers he's above right now).

Does a character's learning cuve affect their representation in tournament, and thus affect why they aren't seen as much as other characters? it certainly seems to explain why many low tier characters (Ganon, D3, Zelda, Pac-Man), are in that position......
I always thought people recommended them because they are difficult to SD with, and their play styles are a very simple representation of the game's mechanics.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I was thinking the other day about all the stagelist changes we talked about in the past. Recognized that "DSR only, no ban" would suck for Bayo. Would be forced to play on FD at least once per set.

Honestly, that's the thing that bothers me the most about Bayo and the stage list. Kirby doesn't care about fighting Bayo on Lylat (he can Bullet Climax her too) - the main issue is the stage deciding you just can't snap.

No, I think the main issue is that Bayo really only has one "bad" stage, but you'll never see it. Even the most beginner level Bayo knows "ban FD."

As for Cloud... he's pretty consistently good on all stages. So I'm not sure what he gets from Lylat specifically? (Would love to hear more on this)

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
What do you guys think about Toon Link (:4tlink:)? His results have dropped due to Hyuga not playing in US tournaments, but the character is still the same. I don't think he's top 20 anymore but probably somewhere in top 25. Still high tier?
You're right, he hasn't changed, so I don't believe he's any worse despite stagnating a bit. He still has a lot of high level reps from what I saw.

Speaking of Link's, :4link:'s high level players disappeared into the ether. Being an already fairly uncommon character with your best reps going on hiatus probably hurt his results. I feel that's what happened to Shulk as well.

Overall I still have high hopes for both Links

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Cloud gets A good deal of platforms to do limit camping and platform shenanigans with.
ESAM thinks it's Cloud's best stage, and I see a good deal of people often agreeing with him.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Cloud gets A good deal of platforms to do limit camping and platform shenanigans with.
ESAM thinks it's Cloud's best stage, and I see a good deal of people often agreeing with him.
Well, yes, but can't he limit camp on any non FD stage?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Landing vs Cloud on Lylat would be hell but certain characters can probably screw up his recovery there. I thought Cloud likes SV?

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Well, yes, but can't he limit camp on any non FD stage?
Yes, but more so on Lylat than others because of how many more platforms there are. Plus Lylat makes projectile fighters much easier to deal with. As Rizen said ^, landing on lylat is rough, and while there is the possibility of getting lylatted, it's a small risk in comparison to all the previous advantages, plus the possibility of the opponent being lylatted as well.

I imagine bayonetta is what origamiscienceguy said, you can bullet climax people with the tilt, and use teh tilt and platforms to outcamp even the best projectile games.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Whenever Hyuga returns, I doubt he will have the same level of success. Toon Link, as a character, relies on conditioning and reads first and foremost, and trying to annoy and pressure you with projectiles into doing something bad, since as I've mentioned before, Toon Link cannot beat shield for any reward until you're in back throw percents, unlike other characters with bad grabs (:4link::4zss::4villager:). Also, unlike two of the characters I just mentioned, Toon Link doesn't have a good way to threaten your shield with strong, high damage moves (His fair has more landing lag and less shield safety than Link's) or fast enough moves to blockstring well like ZSS. Toon Link's gameplan revolves around running away and throwing stuff at you until you mess up and he gets a big punish ass a result, and it's a very "smoke and mirrors" playstyle where it looks like he's doing a lot but he's trying to annoy you into picking a bad option. I don't see that as a very sustaining playstyle in any metagame.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Bayonetta essentially has as top tier level neutral game on lylat. Her projectile goes from annoying to threatening. This is a huge change in her abilities and playstyle allowing her to force approaches which she normally cannot do.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Fun fact about lylat:
Jigglypuff's rollout goes faster and becomes more damaging when going down a slope, which can mean that on lylat, rollout can kill off the side as early as 20%

However, trying to turn around while on a downward slope will just make her go airborne and fly into the blast zone. So it is certain death if you don't hit anything.

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Fun fact about lylat:
Jigglypuff's rollout goes faster and becomes more damaging when going down a slope, which can mean that on lylat, rollout can kill off the side as early as 20%

However, trying to turn around while on a downward slope will just make her go airborne and fly into the blast zone. So it is certain death if you don't hit anything.
What if you hit a shielding opponent?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yes, but more so on Lylat than others because of how many more platforms there are. Plus Lylat makes projectile fighters much easier to deal with. As Rizen said ^, landing on lylat is rough, and while there is the possibility of getting lylatted, it's a small risk in comparison to all the previous advantages, plus the possibility of the opponent being lylatted as well.

I imagine bayonetta is what origamiscienceguy said, you can bullet climax people with the tilt, and use teh tilt and platforms to outcamp even the best projectile games.
Odd. I would have figured Cloud got more off of riding the Smashville platform. Or jumping around on Town & City platforms. I don't necessarily see how Lylat exacerbates any of that, yet. Plus Cloud will kill earlier on the Animal Crossing stages as an added bonus.

Ah well. Bayo, I definitely understand.

I should counterpick Lylat more in that MU tbh.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
What if you hit a shielding opponent?
You go through, fly off the stage and die.

However, if you reverse directions while going downhill, and you go airborne, the game will "refresh" the rollout hitbox. And while going at more than max speed, if you hit with both hitboxes, it comes ridiculously close to breaking a full shield. So while you would die, you might have enough time to respawn, and do another uber-speed rollout while they are shield-broken.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Odd. I would have figured Cloud got more off of riding the Smashville platform. Or jumping around on Town & City platforms. I don't necessarily see how Lylat exacerbates any of that, yet. Plus Cloud will kill earlier on the Animal Crossing stages as an added bonus.
SV and T and C, as well as BF and DL, are good stages for him because of platforms, but lylat has more room and platforms to camp with.
But yeah, look at bayonetta playing on lylat, specially using bullet climax and arts to camp. It's horrifying.

NNID
User7a1
Fun fact about lylat:

I don't know about as early as 20%, but for the most part, it should KO 10% to 15% earlier than Rest (and earlier than F-Smash by the ledge). And even if it doesn't, the angle Rollout sends the opponent is pretty good to edgeguard them, and it does 23%, which is more than any of her moves deal. It's a good punish after a shield break.

Also, if Lylat is tilting up and you hit someone, you can cancel most of the Rollout's end-lag.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
That was bad wording on my part. It killed another puff somewhere in the 20's so I should have said 30%. I just think its funny how her best kill options often involve killing herself :D

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
That was bad wording on my part. It killed another puff somewhere in the 20's so I should have said 30%. I just think its funny how her best kill options often involve killing herself :D
It's a pretty good design precedent. For example, it's too bad that Cloud doesn't spontaneously SD after using Limit Cross Slash.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Cloud aerials cover the entire lylat platform and dtilt/dash attack interact favourably for him on the tilts.
Not only that, but it's insanely difficult to shield pressure and stop him from Limit camping while on the tilts if Cloud's on a platform.
fighting him there feels like trying to land or stop him from camping for 6 minutes.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Whenever Hyuga returns, I doubt he will have the same level of success. Toon Link, as a character, relies on conditioning and reads first and foremost, and trying to annoy and pressure you with projectiles into doing something bad, since as I've mentioned before, Toon Link cannot beat shield for any reward until you're in back throw percents, unlike other characters with bad grabs (:4link::4zss::4villager:). Also, unlike two of the characters I just mentioned, Toon Link doesn't have a good way to threaten your shield with strong, high damage moves (His fair has more landing lag and less shield safety than Link's) or fast enough moves to blockstring well like ZSS. Toon Link's gameplan revolves around running away and throwing stuff at you until you mess up and he gets a big punish *** a result, and it's a very "smoke and mirrors" playstyle where it looks like he's doing a lot but he's trying to annoy you into picking a bad option. I don't see that as a very sustaining playstyle in any metagame.
That would explain why Hyuga has been investing in a Diddy since his absence. It's because of this that I actually think Link is a slightly better character than Toon Link, but the main thing holding Link back is his lack of representation. T is easily his best player but doesn't play as patiently as he should for certain matchups, plus he doesn't travel and attend nearly as much as the other top Japanese players do. As it stands right now there's no one else in the world close to T's level of skill who currently mains Link.

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
The issues with banning Lylat would still remain. Anyway, this thread is not for rule discussion, so let's take that elsewhere? And I don't think banning stages in order to nerf characters is a very good idea. Bayonetta and Cloud aren't strong because of Lylat, anyway.

Will you stop backseat modding everything? Let the mods handle what belongs and what doesn't. He brought up a good topic that I myself have also thought about

Anyways, I've always thought myself that Clouds best stage was Lylat. The sheer amount of platform pressure that he can apply on this stage is crazy, and it just feels like you as the opponent have less room to avoid his giant aerials on Lylat

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's important not to let character biases 'cloud' one's judgement. For example, from a :4link: perspective I'd rather fight Cloud on Lylat than SV. But that doesn't mean Cloud's better on SV for every MU. Lylat is the most polarizing legal stage imo. With that said, there's no reason to ban it from tournaments.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Toon Link cannot beat shield for any reward until you're in back throw percents, unlike other characters with bad grabs (:4link::4zss::4villager:). Also, unlike two of the characters I just mentioned, Toon Link doesn't have a good way to threaten your shield with strong, high damage moves (His fair has more landing lag and less shield safety than Link's) or fast enough moves to blockstring well like ZSS. Toon Link's gameplan revolves around running away and throwing stuff at you until you mess up and he gets a big punish *** a result, and it's a very "smoke and mirrors" playstyle where it looks like he's doing a lot but he's trying to annoy you into picking a bad option. I don't see that as a very sustaining playstyle in any metagame.
I figure this might be relevant to the discussion lol. Toon's meta is laughably underdeveloped and untapped. He's not going anywhere but up imo.
https://smashboards.com/threads/toons-true-combo-throw.449344/

NairWizard

Somewhere
I figure this might be relevant to the discussion lol. Toon's meta is laughably underdeveloped and untapped. He's not going anywhere but up imo.
https://smashboards.com/threads/toons-true-combo-throw.449344/
So a character with a very punishable grab has a grab combo that can do a little over 20% damage on about half the cast within a very specific % window, which is well below any reasonable death percents, and can happen at most once per stock because landing the combo puts the opponent out of combo percent.

Yeah, while this is a cool advancement (and I must say you did great work here, not to take anything away from you), consider me unimpressed. What else does Toon Link have?

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So with Bayo still being talked about a little bit (with that tweet from Salem recently posted) and with her being a big focus just a few days ago (or at least what seemed like it), something came to mind while I was at work that pertains to her and really any good character in any future Smash game.

With talk regarding Bayo both pre-patch and post-patch, anytime the idea of banning her comes up, there's always the mention of her not being fully figured out and her not taking up the vast majority of top 8s and her not being so oppressive that the other top tiers and even high tiers like Tink don't stand a chance. But another thing that's mentioned a lot is 'she's not Brawl MK'. That statement got me wondering, what if Bayo is 'broken'? What if she is ban worthy? What if she isn't in her current state but she WAS pre-patch? To answer those few questions of my own real quick, I currently don't think she's ban worthy but she could be down the line. Broken is eh to me. She's dumb, I'll say that much. Dumb that she has so many good tools all at once with such few drawbacks but then, welcome to literally every top tier. As for pre-patch, it honestly doesn't matter now since that character no longer exists.

But I have a point to make with this. What if Bayo is or could be deemed broken/unfair/ban worthy etc BUT not as much as Brawl MK? What if being broken/ban worthy isn't some black and white thing where being those words is Brawl MK or worse and not being those is everything else? Look at the controversy with the banning of Duck Hunt and Lylat (which as we know got unbanned shortly after to the pleasure and displeasure of many). When stages get banned, we don't immediately say 'it's as bad as Temple' nor do we allow all stages because they aren't as bad as Temple.

Brawl MK had numerous jumps, high movement speed, quick, disjointed., transcendent attacks, 4 specials for recovering, a glide as well, a move that ate shields for breakfast, couldn't be challenged by many attacks and could be safe too, was small and light (avoided many chain grabs), had true combos in a game largely without them and could stall on stage while invincible or the ledge where many characters simply couldn't hit him. That's a lot of powerful stuff for one character to have. Is the Smash community for every game after Brawl going to look at THAT as the minimum for what's banworthy? Heck, the ban on MK was late in Brawl's lifespan and short lived too. By the time it happened, most top players were using him.

I can see this comparison happening in the next Smash game. And the next. And so on. People have already mentioned that Bayo isn't playing by the same rules as the rest of the cast and many deem her the best character in the game and she seems to have little to no bad mu's. As for her not being figured out, there's a lot of dedicated Bayo mains and she's a good character that will pop up frequently in tournaments and people go to these for money. For some, it's how they make any sort of income. And this particular patch of Bayo has been around for over a year. With all that in mind, have people seriously not 'figured out' the character yet? I'm not saying it isn't possible. Fox wasn't always #1 in Melee, Snake held #2 in Brawl for a long time, it took ICies a while to become so good that they too got their own tier in Brawl etc. It's really a genuine question of 'can you defend Bayo by saying she's not yet figured out?'

TL;DR Is it fair to compare Bayo or any other character in any future Smash game to Brawl's MK in terms of being banworthy/unfair/broken? Does a character have to be as broken as Brawl MK to be banworthy or can there be lesser amounts of brokenness in banworthy characters?

Rizen

Smash Legend
As much as I hate to say it, :4tlink:>:4link:. The simple answer is TL outcamps everyone and therefor controls neutral. He doesn't need a safe ground game when he can float around tossing out 3 different projectiles, 2 of which are combo starters, and Zair. His aerials are strong too, stronger than Link's (although Link's potentially do more damage).
:4tlink: and :4link: have completely different physics and more different moves than not. Expanding on what TDK said, TL is floaty. The two play very differently except for bomb combos. While I think Link's footsies are significantly better than TL's, if your fastest ground move is frame 7 jab (technically frame 4 dash bomb throw but that's impracticable) you get wrecked by most anyone once they infiltrate your bubble. TL is a zoner who can actually zone, Link is a footsies character who will have his wall breached.

Link's power gives him a clutch factor that does wonders with SSB4's rage and shield system but the opponent will get in. He doesn't have a good gtfo option and gets comboed hard when they do. He has trouble chasing down opponents with a lead too. This is why Link's MU spread is balanced but not lopsided for the most part; if Link can force his game he wins. If not he loses to the opponent's strong points. Fox for example wrecks when he breaches Link's defenses and Link will take 40%+ easily from Utilts and Fox's vortex. Link must constantly be spacing and playing footsies, it varies depending on the MU. Marcina require more pivots and camping because they're faster and have long swords. Other characters with less range are safe to keep at sword's length. You have to know MUs to succeed with Link.

TL can actually push an advantage. While his footsies are worse, his mobility as a zoner usually makes up for it. There are some cases where Link does better, like Mewtwo, but TL has an overall better MU spread, especially against top tiers. If you out-camp the opponent you win as long as they can't catch you. There are reasons why TL is currently ranked 2 tiers above Link; safe conversions are a big one.
I feel like there's nothing new to be said in this thread :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom