• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Now MKLeo is going Corrin? What is it with top players have existential crises with their mains?
Corrin should be fairly easy to pick up as a secondary for a Marth main, and she could help him for several matchups. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, plus it's good for the viewers (Corrin is, in my opinion, the most fun character to watch, though I might be biased). Also, he thinks that she's top tier. I don't think so, but it'll be interesting to see if he can prove it.

2nd place isn't bad, and Elegant is a great player, though MkLeo is better on paper. This implies to me that his Corrin is not quite as good as his Marth yet, though it is possible that Elegant would've won against MkLeo's Marth as well.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
https://twitter.com/CaptainZack_/status/872152006181486596 Captain Zack finally got a sponsor, he joins Tweek on Phoenix1.

MSM 24; the lost MSM (100 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Elegant :4luigi:
2nd: MKLeo :4corrinf:
3rd: VoiD :4sheik:
4th: Eon :4fox:
5th: Abadango :rosalina: :4bayonetta2: :4mewtwo:
5th: Nicko :4shulk:
7th: Ito :4metaknight:
7th: Charliedaking :4fox:
Grats Elegant, pulling in better results than pre patch Luigi. At a stacked tourney too.

Although it may have been different if MKLeo didn't go solo Corrin. Guess he's experimenting this week.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Now MKLeo is going Corrin?
Leo has had Corrin for a while now since the Arena 2017 which was in April and he has been using her in locals too. He has no doubt in his other characters but he just added Corrin because he liked fates as he said on twitter. I'm waiting to see the vods of his corrin in MSM because his corrin looked insane back in the arena so I wonder how much he's improved since then.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Okay, but do you know how much it would cost or how much time it would end up consuming if we made sure to record it at tournaments?
Like nothing in terms of money and very little in terms of time. The result scree after a match has a section called edge grabs which says how many times players grabbed the ledge.

As to the rest of your post, again I have no actual opinion about lgl itself in Smash 4. I'm just correcting your spread of misinformation.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
RE: In Brawl there was a "Edge Grab" Counter at the results screen at the end of the game. To check the LGL was as easy as looking at this line of info when a player was suspect of passing it.
If Smash 4 does have this counter too (I am not entirely sure), it would be just as easy and no major effort needs to be implemented.
But then again, this games' ledge mechanics aren't nearly as abusable.

:196:

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
RE: In Brawl there was a "Edge Grab" Counter at the results screen at the end of the game. To check the LGL was as easy as looking at this line of info when a player was suspect of passing it.
If Smash 4 does have this counter too (I am not entirely sure), it would be just as easy and no major effort needs to be implemented.
But then again, this games' ledge mechanics aren't nearly as abusable.

:196:
Just to confirm (as I just checked), Smash 4 does have the "Edge Grab" counter in the results screen.

Last edited:

JohnnyEGG

Smash Rookie
Your point is that switching could cause a player to feel regret during moments where they might have taken the win with their previous character, correct?
The problem with that is that players, as I believe, shouldn't feel regret over this. They made the choice, for whatever reason, logical or not. It's the same for if you solo main a character and lose. You just have to keep going, keep playing. Sure, your other character would have taken that stock then, but would you have even gotten that far with your previous character? That's somethign that won't ever be known.
Regardless of whether you win or lose, you should be thinking about the things you did wrong that you know you can improve. Instead of thinking about if lucina's fsmash would have killed instead of marth's, think about how you can improve your gameplay overall with both.
In short, choosing to switch to a secondary is a big if, but it shouldn't be something that's overanalyzed and causes regret.
Regret is a part of it, but in those moments of the actual set when you're thinking about counterpicking it's more about the future and the doubt that's running through your mind.

I absolutely agree that you shouldn't be dwelling on regret or dread or doubt, but in practice players are only human, and once the bracket matches start it's not quite that simple. The nature of smash4 makes counterpicks rarely cut and dry decisions. There's a lot of things to think about, character matchups, player to player matches, unpredictability, etc, all of which make it a risk you're taking before the game even begins. I don't think it's overanalysis to consider all these things; so many matches on all levels of play are won or lost based on a good or bad counterpick.

All of which means that the moment between sets where you're mentally balancing your main and secondaries is an opportunity where self-doubt could potentially play a role- and something like that can become a crack in a player's mentality that also means the difference between winning or losing.

Once again, it will depend on the player's temperament of course. Some people will be naturally better at making a confident choice on stage and refusing to let it drag them down, no matter what. But it seems like you'll see even top players make a counterpick out of desperation or frustration fairly often- and it's hard to think that works.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Nairo Saga pools are out!

A1: Ally :4mario: vs Rich Brown :4mewtwo:, FOW :4ness: in third
A2: Larry Lurr :4fox: vs Raito :4duckhunt:, Xzax :4fox: in third
A3: Mr. R :4sheik: :4cloud2: vs AC :4falco: :4metaknight:, Luhtie :4zss: in third
A4: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk: :4bayonetta2: vs NAKAT :4fox: :4ness: :4lucina:, Nicko :4shulk: in third
A5: KEN :4sonic: vs Ned :4cloud2:, Mekos :4lucas: in third
A6: VoiD :4sheik: vs Zinoto :4diddy:, False :4marth: :4sheik: in third
A7: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: vs Elegant :4luigi:, Cosmos :4corrinf: in third
A8: Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Marss :4zss:, TLTC :4palutena: in third

B1: ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina: :4cloud2: vs Zenyou :4mario:, ScAtt :4megaman: in third
B2: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: vs Mr. E :4marth: :4lucina:, Eon :4fox: in third
B3: Nairo :4zss: vs Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2:, Tyrant :4metaknight: in third
B4: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic: vs Javi :4cloud2: :4sheik: :4drmario:, Captain L :4pikachu: in third
B5: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2: :4metaknight: vs 6WX :4sonic:, Myran :4olimar: in third
B6: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: vs Samsora :4peach:, Aarvark :4villager: in third
B7: Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik: vs Falln :rosalina:, IcyMist :4samus: in third
B8: Locus :4ryu: vs Ranai :4villager: :4lucina:, DSS :4metaknight: in third

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1

A3: Mr. R :4sheik: :4cloud2: vs AC :4falco: :4metaknight:, Luhtie :4zss: in third
A4: Tweek :4cloud2: :4dk: :4bayonetta2: vs NAKAT :4fox: :4ness: :4lucina:, Nicko :4shulk: in third
A5: KEN :4sonic: vs Ned :4cloud2:, Regi :4gaw: in third

B1: ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina: :4cloud2: vs Zenyou :4mario:, ScAtt :4megaman: in third
B4: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic: vs Javi :4cloud2: :4sheik: :4drmario:, Captain L :4pikachu: in third
B5: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2: vs 6WX :4sonic:, Myran :4olimar: in third
B6: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: vs Samsora :4peach:, Aarvark :4villager: in third
Some minor corrections to the pools (only pertaining to the third seed).
A5: Mekos :4lucas: is seeded third. Regi is 4th, and him not making out of pools is believable since he has to go up against KEN and Mekos (I don't think his Lucina is going to help much).
A6: ImHip:4olimar::4duckhunt: is seeded third. False is 4th. That said, it's not unbelievable for False to beat ImHip.
B4: Phoneix :4sonic: is seeded third. Captain L is 4th. Same as above.

There's also a B8 pool.
B8: Locus :4ryu: vs Ranai :4villager::4lucina:, DSS :4metaknight: in third.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Some minor corrections to the pools (only pertaining to the third seed.
A5: Mekos :4lucas: is seeded third. Regi is 4th, and him not making out of pools is believable since he has to go up against KEN and Mekos (I don't think his Lucina is going to help much).
A6: ImHip:4olimar::4duckhunt: is seeded third. False is 4th. That said, it's not unbelievable for False to beat ImHip.
B4: Phoneix :4sonic: is seeded third. Captain L is 4th. Same as above.

There's also a B8 pool.
B8: Locus :4ryu: vs Ranai :4villager::4lucina:, DSS :4metaknight: in third.
I missed Mekos (And pool B8 somehow >.>). The other two, I decided to go against seeding as I think that's what's probably going to happen. I'm more confident in Captain L > Phoenix than I am False > ImHip, but I could see both happening.

What does everyone think of Lucas right now, actually? I'm curious.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I missed Mekos (And pool B8 somehow >.>). The other two, I decided to go against seeding as I think that's what's probably going to happen. I'm more confident in Captain L > Phoenix than I am False > ImHip, but I could see both happening.

What does everyone think of Lucas right now, actually? I'm curious.
Mekos has brought some much needed light back to the Lucas meta (like damn, he's the only Lucas I ever see at nationals lol) but I still feel that Lucas will struggle as people realize that passive play hurts him severely.

Like G&W, he can't really initiate things. Unlike G&W, he can disrupt super well but if you platform camp him or run away all match...he's gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Looks like Leo finally figured out the Ryu matchup, beating Locus solidly 3-0...

And once again all the visiting players (now in top 3 of tonight's MSM) defeated all our US players. Land of the Free indeed :(

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I think Lucas is doing fine right now besides some commentator bias that I see when people refer to Mekos bringing out the "new lucas tech". Besides that I feel the Lucas scene may be in a similar scenario that someone posted earlier, where some players are able to place higher off of fundamentals and using a few of a character's tools rather than using everything that a character has that the technical mains and lab monsters would use.

I'm referencing the conversation of DK Will's DK vs Larry Lurr's and Tweek's. That's where I feel we may be at as far as stream representation goes, since our technical players do not seem to make it far in bracket. Part of that is due to us sticking to our local scenes and being unlucky to travel or get noticed on popular streams I believe.

Lucas can also be considered to be sitting in Ness's shadow, since most Lucas conversation I have seen, Ness is always brought up and some players may refer to Lucas as an inferior Ness clone or may believe that whatever their game-plan is for Ness, just copy and paste that to Lucas and they will be all set.

As far as the metagame talk goes, I guess we really keep it to Discord, youtube channels, and twitter. Instead of just posting in text a lot of options we have, I feel like just posting videos and documents of our finds since I think examples will better paint the picture but that would still only be a small sample.

EDIT: I posted in the previous thread I think, that we have a ton of players going to locals, but I think we may as well be in hiding since we have little to no presence at nationals or big tournies. If you're lucky you can find a rare Lucas on stream or in bracket (including doubles too); when I stumble across one, they usually may win a few games or many, but get little to no stream time or fail to make it out of pools.

EDIT 2: Then again there are only like three Lucas players in this thread. I've tried to advertise this thread to our discord to see if I could interest anyone to help out conversation here, but none have took up the offer so it may look like we are silent or not active.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Probably the people who think you can clank with Lucas PKT 1 to gimp him like Ness. Then the people who think we can only get our damage from grabs or keep-away PK Fire and then either call Lucas a zoner or grappler.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So where the **** all that Ryu hype now guys?

Oh yeah peeps figuring out to respect the character and not give away free punishes, AND DON'T ROLL AWAY WHEN THE RYU DOES SOMETHING UNSAFE!!!!

Ryu forever getting 7th-9th place.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
In what world (besides 2015-2016) is Lucas worse than Ness?
Ness is slightly better than Lucas though and that isn't main bias. Better results and theory. You can say not a lot of Lucas mains go to stuff and then I can say the exact same thing about Ness but historically and still recently Ness has outperformed Lucas. Not a shot at the character I love both Mother kids but I've never understood why people think this.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree Ness is a little better than Lucas.

Oh yeah peeps figuring out to respect the character and not give away free punishes, AND DON'T ROLL AWAY WHEN THE RYU DOES SOMETHING UNSAFE!!!!

Ryu's easily top 15. Other than the top tiers who is better than him? Maybe Marcina and Mk are the ones that come to mind but Ryu beats them in terms of results.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Lucas is really good. As NintendoGalaxy says he is often placed in Ness' shadow, but they are absolutely nothing alike, which is evident in every game state. Please don't bite into that myth.

Lucas' gameplan is broadly a mid-range counterpoking/walling character whose main goal is to force an unsafe approach, preferably from the air, and punish with a grab combo. Should they get too close, he has options to reset with his frame 2 jab or generate more space / use an alternative method to win neutral with PKF. Against most characters, this works well, he has strong, functional tools to follow this plan (i.e. forcing *unsafe* approaches) and they all work pretty well together. Unlike someone like Sheik or Diddy however, Lucas' neutral isn't particularly low-risk at doing so hence why he doesn't dominate any MUs despite his strong toolkit on paper. (PKF as a commitment and sacrifices stage control, Fair is also a substantial commitment, generally low air speed, run speed, walk speed). He also can't approach to save his life, his approach options are legitimately terrible and if you can force him to approach you, you definitely should.

Lucas' MU spread is pretty good. A generally-agreed advantageous MU against Mario, a strong case for even MUs against Rosa and Bayo backed up by tournament sets, is disadvantaged but holds up ok against Fox (this MU will get worse over time), Sonic and ZSS.
However almost every character that forces Lucas to approach beats Lucas. This includes the likes of Sheik - not to compare the two but as someone who plays both, I feel the :4sheik: MU is much worse for Lucas than it is for Ness, and Ness doesn't exactly sail through it.
Other strong characters like Olimar, Greninja beat him handily and there is a case for others like Peach, but none of those are Sheik-awful. They just aren't.
Diddy is an underexplored MU. Some have lost faith due to set results and in particular ZeRo beating Taiheita at SSC, but if you watch that VOD, to me at least, it looks more like ZeRo countering Taiheita, not so much Diddy countering Lucas.
He also has a bit of a range problem with swords. Lucas is mostly a mid-range character and if you can out-footsie him, he is forced to play the MU at a longer range than he wants (he can't apply rushdown-type pressure - no viable approach options) and he isn't so good at that. (PKF as a commitment, sacrifices stage control, PK Freeze can work to win neutral, as Mekos shows us, but it's not that great.)

His neutral is good and his disadvantage is decent relative to other characters (small floaty character, momentum mixups with wavebounces give him more landing options, stalling with PSIMag, decent recovery + tether to use, but no frame 3 sex kick to escape strings and can only trade with fair, not great off the ledge).
His advantage, however, is not good. To illustrate this point I want to remind people of the VoiD and Mr R discussion we had a while back, where we looked at how Mr R's advantage state was better than VoiD's even though VoiD had superior true combos. Advantage is more than true combos, which Lucas has (mostly just one hit off of dthrow), but outside of those combos and catching landings with pivot grab or PKF his advantage state is subpar. Even with his combos, his footstool combo is overrated as hell (hint: ban FD) and nair can be SDI'd very efficiently so as SDI becomes optimised, Lucas' nair will become less and less usable to extend true combos and strings. I think that's common knowledge but people aren't doing it enough. And outside of that, his advantage kind of blows. He has some strong grab combos including up air at death % (which is guaranteed regardless of DI by the way, and Lucas can REACT to your DI, he does NOT need to READ it), and then up throw starts killing almost as soon as that stops working.
Much of his advantage outside of combos is underoptimised, but many of his tools aren't that great for it anyway.

On that point, I think it's worth mentioning that if we in this thread are correct in believing that the meta is shifting towards having a workable neutral leading into a powerful Advantage state, Ness is objectively better than Lucas. Lucas' neutral is better but his advantage is mediocre. Ness' neutral isn't good but it isn't bad either, and his advantage state outclasses Lucas at every point. Punish game, ledgetrapping, offstage pressure, everything that isn't trapping landings. Lucas also lacks any kind of burst range threat, which is something that comes up often in this thread.
Just some food for thought. One of these statements - "the meta is shifting like this" and " :4lucas: is better than :4ness: " - has to be wrong.

What's really holding Lucas back is his players. Not so much the lack of them - he quietly has a lot of excellent players, many are solo mains and getting some very impressive results. Hakadama and PK Blueberry are incredible players but their attendance at major tournaments is very rare. Taiheita and Mekos don't get around, although Mekos is showing his face a little more now. There are others, like Kodystri with wins over the likes of Fatality and ScAtt with Lucas, although I believe the set count is solidly in their favour and Kodystri plays an amalgamate of characters (and then wonders why his Lucas doesn't put in as much work as he wants).
And then you have the Lucas Discord, which is filled with plenty nice enough people who want the best for their character but they focus on all the wrong things. I don't stick my head in there too often these days but when I do, they're usually discussing the same few things, things like optimising the footstool combos and down throw to up air. It's rare for them to talk about enhancing any other important aspects of Lucas' gameplan, like ledgetrapping, frametrapping, or, I don't know, neutral, and if they do look at something else it is only very briefly and with barely any detail.
I love you Lucas Discord guys, you really are great people, but my god you need to get your **** together.

But yeah. Lucas is, at his core, a decent solo character but he won't win anything solo and will struggle to break top 8 by himself, held back not so much by lack of representation, but lack of attendance from his strongest players and overall poor development/exposure. Even since release and buffs he has constantly been neglected by the wider Smash 4 community partially due to this.
Lucas is good. Don't sleep on him, but be aware of his unfortunate issues and bad matchups because they really do hold him back. I maintain he's top 20. He's Mid-B tier at best imo. But definitely better than most of current C tier.
</essay>

Rizen

Smash Legend
When I say Ness is better than Lucas I don't mean Ness is the better Lucas. It's a lot like comparing DK and Bowser; they're not clones at all yet fill a similar role in a very different way. If that makes sense.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I feel like Luca and Ness want to do some pretty different things.

Maybe that's just me idk.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm

Well...how many characters below the current top 10 consistently place top 8 at tournaments? Those are much, much better results compared to when Trela was leading the meta.

On a sidenote, what does everyone think of Falcon lately? Between Fatality's recent set wins over numerous top players, in addition to his absolutely crushing victory against Zero, could he perhaps be the gatekeeper to top tier, or at least approaching that status? It seems like Sheik and Rosa are his only matchups that feel hopeless, everyone else seems doable given what we've seen in practice.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Esam barely ever used Samus and did next to nothing with the character for two years, yet was looked to by people who don't know the character as "the" Samus. That's why it was always frustrating to see judgments passed on the character by people who only watched Esam pull out Samus on stream just to lose games most of the time (because of major errors, more than just non-optimized combos). Esam had nowhere near the results to stake any claim at being an actual top Samus until two months ago (and even then, he'd never done anything with solo Samus).

Esam's Samus isn't comparable to Ally's Mario. He uses Samus loosely and rarely whereas Ally has solo mained Mario since release; Ally without question knows Mario better than Esam knows a character he sometimes decides to secondary; Ally is the uncontested best player of Mario, whereas Esam isn't the best Samus player.
Is recent Esam Samus really that bad tho? And who is the best Samus player and why?

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I was going to reply but PK Bash did a excellent job so no need to rehash. Lucas and Ness definitely want to do different things I never understood how the whole Lucas is a clone nonsense even came to be, thankfully it's not parroted much anymore.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
I want to think Lucas is better than Ness, I really do. The problem is I can't justify it when Ness is the one achieving much better results.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I think the difference between Lucas and Ness depends on what you're looking for. Lucas has a better ground game, disadvantage, and recovery, but Ness's advantage state blows Lucas's away, coupled with more consistent killpower. I prefer Ness's consistent killpower and advantage, myself, but Lucas certainly has his perks.

Oh, and Mekos > Taiheita.

WNF Spring 2.5 (55 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth:
2nd: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2: :4metaknight:
3rd: Locus :4ryu:
4th: Javi :4cloud2: :4sheik:

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Ness' gameplan is a lot simpler so he can play a player vs player style more effectively than Lucas.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If you are approaching Lucas you are probably playing the match up wrong. The wall he can build around him pretty strong and difficult to crack. Though his zoning has good reach, it's definitely limited. Most of the time you should be disengaging, and poking at him until the prime opportunity to pounce occurs. Not all characters are able to do this, but for those who can (see: Diddy Kong, Greninja), things can fall apart and his weaknesses really start to show.

:150:

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

B5: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2: :4metaknight: vs 6WX :4sonic:, Myran :4olimar: in third

Hmm I will predict right now that no Bayo's will be making top 8 judging by these pools.

Captian Zack will have to face Elegant first match in top 48 (yes Zack 3-0'd Elegant convincingly at Greninja Saga but this is still the player who has beaten just about every Bayo main out there. If Elegant beat Zack he will face Salem if he wins vs Marss. If both Zack and Salem win them they will have to face each each other so one of them will be sent to losers then regardless.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion

A1: Ally will most likely make it, and I personally hope FOW will get second place. More Ness representation would be nice, and FOW is a lot of fun to watch.
A2: Larry Lurr will most likely make it, and I'd like it if Raito did too.
A3: Mr. R and AC will probably make it, and I hope they do.
A4: I'm pretty okay with Tweek and NAKAT, though I wouldn't mind it if Nicko upset NAKAT (since good Shulks are fun to watch).
A5: I'd like it if Ned and Mekos upset KEN, since Sonic. I don't really know Mekos well enough though.
A6: VoiD will make it, probably Zinoto as well, potentially False.
A7: Go Cosmos! He has beaten Elegant before so it's doable, but it'll be hard. Ideally I'd like to see both Elegant and Cosmos make it out, but Captain Zack is hard to beat, and Bayonetta is a bad MU for Corrin.
A8: It would be cool if TLTC would make it out, but probably not.

B1: ZeRo will likely make it out, Zenyou and ScAtt are both really good, so either could get the second spot.
B2: MKLeo and Mr. E will likely make it out.
B3: Nairo and Pink Fresh seems like a fairly safe bet.
B4: Kororikiri and Captain L would be nice.
B5: Hard to predict, but I think Abadango will get a spot. I hope Myran will too.
B6: ANTi and Samsora will probably take it, but Aarvark shouldn't be slept on.
B7: All three have a shot, though Kameme and Falln seem a bit more likely.

Watch how this will turn out to be another Civil War with lots of upsets.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I also think Zero's videos regarding Ness and Lucas may have a good chunk of the community bandwagoning his opinion. As for the Discord besides the talk of the footstool combos, some of us are divided for and against it like JeBB. In the many VODS I watch I only see footstool combos tried once or a few times during a set. Speaking of Mekos's recent performance, I recall seeing him only go for it once in a match, missed, and chose to not go for it a second time.

I think the reason the footstool combos are seen as overated is due to it's potential to rack up a ton of damage, a stock, or just it's hype factor for the spectators and is probably what is shared an advertised when a Lucas main does something exciting and end up on a highlight video.
Lucas has jab and down tilt mixups into grabs, pivot grabs, roll reads, dash attack, up smash, down smash, etc.
Lucas has sweetspot zair into follow up confirms that are true. He can even use zair to guarantee a grab that is unavoidable. The same can be said for his down tilt mixups that I just mentioned.

Lucas's down tilt has 3 hitboxes that can send the opponent at different angles. The hitbox closest to Lucas will send them at an angle that pops the opponent to high for a grab to be true but it can still be used as a mixup to land grabs if your opponents are not expecting it and decide to: hold shield once they touch the ground, jump away, or use a fast enough move in the air to beat the grab. The hitbox at the very end of down tilt has no angle on it, so that hitbox to my knowledge, has only found use for potential jab locks if the opponent misses their tech (or are knocked into the untechable spin animation) from sourspot forward tilt (above 100%) sour and sweetspot fair, and sweetspot zair (above 120%). Sourspot forward tilt can even lead into a dash attack for the stock above 100%.

The middle hitbox will send opponents at an angle that will pop them up just barely above the ground. This is the hitbox that Lucas should aim for when using down tilt's to land grabs when the requirements are met, that way regardless of what option the opponent buffers, they will be thrown into landing lag since they will be too close to even get an aerial out properly.

Usually I see Lucas players dash at their opponents which is followed by their opponent approaching the Lucas player. The Lucas player then goes for their down tilt into grab confirm/mixup while their opponent is right on top of them from the down tilt, due to the down tilt not being spaced correctly since both players are too close to each other.The Lucas player still goes for the grab since some of us are so used to using down tilt into grabs that we forget to think about ever spacing the move which can and has got us punished going for the grab.

Sometimes we will mix up our down tilt usage by using it two or three times, or even using jab 1 or 2 after our first use of down tilt as a mixup which can result in a panic airdodge, shield upon landing, using an aerial too close to ground resulting in landing lag, or we can take their 2nd jump without them catching on and still land the grab.

Another option Lucas can do if we catch an opponent in the air with Nair, is to fast and land prematurely during hits 1-4. This will put the opponent in landing lag and in the midst of the confusion (depending on the hit and the position of lucas, the opponent will land on either side of Lucas) we can land a grab if the opponent is caught off guard by this and we can practice which side they will come out on so we can guarantee the grab if they do not respond fast enough.

As for edgeguarding, Lucas can use PKT, Pk Freeze, bair, fair, dair, down smash, and down angle foward tilts at the ledge for low end lag and fast 2 frames so we can kind of spam it if we please. Unless we go spam crazy with down smash instead of aiming for an actual two frame since it is the popular option I see.

Lucas is also able to use PK Fire, magnet for positioning, Zair, and fast fall nair offstage into footstools.

Then there are these two videos which the Discord coins the Hakadama Recovery/Angle.

1:19 is the timestamp for the first video.

Along with this find by MagnetGoat, who posted this to Smashboards in the Lucas forum.

https://smashboards.com/threads/int...ew-lucas-tech-to-mix-up-your-recovery.447845/

These PKT tricks have already been tested by S1 and other members of the Ness and Lucas Discords to answer the question of can Ness do this too? The answer is no.

Besides MagnetGoat, there is another youtuber named SuperConnor03 who also posts his labbing on Twitter. He's our guy that makes our footstool combos look insane with how long he does them and how creative he is.

There's also Jim, our Japanese WiFi warrior who has made an appearance at a few tournies in his region. He streams frequently and also has a youtube channel full of delicious Lucas content (both are named KoJymm He's popular among the Discord for what we call the Jim Combo since he does this almost every game.

Oh and Blue is back in the Smash 4 scene after taking a break, so you guys may see him in some upcoming VODs and tournies.

Mekos and Kodystri are in our server and they make content for Lucas mains too on their youtube channels.

Some members of the community also talk with Taiheita and others on Twitter, so we still keep in touch with him, in fact not long ago he made a huge chart for the server.

Last thing I feel like adding which is unrelated, but the Discord is about to have a Civil War event which I'm excited for and Jim is in it.

EDIT: Accidentally posted early, so I will be editing in more info.

EDIT 2: Three more things I forgot to put. The first video is an example of a PK Freeze stage spike (untechable), this is my favorite thing to land.

The second video has two examples. First is an example of PK Freeze to PKT2. Fun fact with over 100% rage, Lucas can kill at 0% with this. The second example in the video is using PK Freeze to punish airdodges when your opponent is within PK Freeze Range.

And yes, these PK Freeze setups have been landed in bracket before and on stream, PK Freeze is my favorite move as Lucas to use.

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill

I wanna keep my eye on AC and see how many times he uses Falco in regards to Meta Knight.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Edited my above post a lot to add in Lucas info. I think I covered everything besides using tether trump for Lucas and examples of using PSI Magnet, to stall our recovery and juke out opponents with it's momentum shift from wavebounces.

Just added in PK Freeze at the very end of it of a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
When I say Ness is better than Lucas I don't mean Ness is the better Lucas. It's a lot like comparing DK and Bowser; they're not clones at all yet fill a similar role in a very different way. If that makes sense.
Let me clarify this. :4ness: is to :4lucas: as :4dk: is to :4bowser:. You have strong core characters with explosive advantage states weighed against poor disadvantage and less special move tactics :4ness::4dk:. Then there are weaker core characters but still have strong options for advantage, better recovery, better disadvantage and more use of special moves :4lucas::4bowser:. Ness and Lucas both get rewarded for grabs and have different methods of getting them, as do DK and Bowser.

In both cases it boils down to what is better: a strong offensive core character and 'clutch factor' advantage or a more rounded character with less disadvantage?
Food for thought, :4falcon: fits into the former category and is doing well.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Is recent Esam Samus really that bad tho? And who is the best Samus player and why?
This is a good point, as recent E-Samus has been really good. He's stopped doing really dumb things like SH-Fair in neutral, and he's probably one of the most consistent Samus players at converting Zair into Dash Attack; that and just his Zair use in general.

Right now, the best Samus is probably a toss up between ESAM and IcyMist. ESAM's overall skill with Samus is catching up (if not surpassing) IcyMist's with the character, though IcyMist is more notable as a solo-main (in fact, Samus is probably ESAM's true secondary right now too). However, ESAM's results with the character as of late are much better, though it could also be to do with him just being a better player overall.

HOWEVER...

I am from the UK, so I am obligated by local bias to say that Afro Smash is the best Samus in the world.

He has the best memes (and polls) too. It's a no contest really.

<3

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Quite a lot of people complain. Kurogane does it somtimes, Mr. R and ZeRo have recently talked a bunch about Smashboards and Reddit.
I've never seen people complaining about Smashboards here at the site, though. Just outside (discord, twitter, whatever)
Also, Samus mains complaining about ESAM's Samus is actually not new. I actually know a few that don't like him. I was never properly explained why, though.
I would respond, but I think I'll just laugh at you instead. <3

Edit: this is my personal notepad now, now fuck off

Startup/Hitbox Duration:
Bayo - 11-14
ZSS - 8-9

Result:
ZSS's is faster, but Bayo's has double the active frames

FAF:
Bayo - 30
ZSS - 40

Result:
Bayo's ends faster and can be used in a shorthop before doing something else, while ZSS's cannot

Knockback:
Bayo - Slightly weaker sweetspot (13%), much weaker sourspot
ZSS - Stronger sweetspot (12%), much stronger sourspot

Result:
With proper DI, the sweetspot of ZSS's should only be KO'ing between 2-4% earlier
With proper DI, the sourspot of ZSS's should only be KO'ing between 15-20% earlier

Safety:
Bayo - Landing lag: 12f, -3 on shield
ZSS - Landing lag: 11f, -2 on shield

Result:
ZSS's is safer on whiff/shield by 1 frame

Range:
Bayo - Identical horizontal range, hits higher and has no blindspots
ZSS - Identical horizontal range, hits lower and has a medium sized blindspot knee up

Result:
Look at the accompanying image, fools.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom