• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I said this maybe a week ago but Palutena is a lot like Brawl Mario, kind of blah in just about every regard. She just doesn't have anything that impressive about her except maybe tricks she can pull off with warp cancels. Especially with these last two updates, the goal posts have been moved so being "meh" is essentially the new bad. I don't think things will change too terribly much with the bottom portion of the tier list because I feel like the screws were tightened for the likes of Zelda, Samus, and Ganondorf, making largely dysfunctional characters not trip on their own two feet anymore while characters like Lucina and Charizard are still plagued with some of the worst representation in the game. That being said, I'd argue that, aside from Jiggs, these characters are just further from the bottom now and Jiggs is now setting the golden standard for crap in this game instead of Zelda. Come the next tier list, I could see Lucina jumping to the lower half of low tier and Duck Hunt and maybe Roy sinking to bottom tier but that's about it.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I just recently had the epiphany that :4palutena: and :4falco: are the same character. Perhaps I'm dense. But if anyone wants a rundown why:

* throwable reflector
* great dair spike that's impossible to hit with
* multihit nair good at gimping
* a projectile nobody knows what to do with other than "take occasional potshots"
* a side-b with an oddball gimping property (windbox/spike), but the property isn't strong enough to make a difference in most MUs
* half a ground game: either good tilts with meh jab or vice-versa, and poor risk-reward for footsies
* an up-b that looks identical to other chars, but only their mains know is strictly worse
* bair has one best-in-game quality, but is meh otherwise
* good bnb throw combos that no one's afraid of cause it don't kill
* killing uair but not brokenly so

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Daily reminder that SOMEBODY HAS TO BE BOTTOM 5. In fact, 5 people have to be bottom 5. And Miis don't count.

I challenge everyone who says "Dedede isn't bottom 5" or "lol ur dumb if u think Pally is bottom 5" to actually tell us who they think are bottom 5, or else nothing gets done at all.

Edit: To avoid being slightly hypocritical, my bottom 5 is currently occupied by :4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4dedede::4zelda::4jigglypuff:
Feel free to try and change my mind.

Last edited:

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
I was not complaining, I was giving my competitive impressions on the character as a day one Meta Knight player.

Thanks for your criticism though, randomguy whoever you are.
You're most certainly welcome, random MK player

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
i gotta admit, as much as i like cloud being one of the best characters in the game, im afraid that he is going to dominate (due to being relatively easy to pick up) and getting nerfed later on. and we all know, that a character that dominates gets nerfed into oblivion until nobody wants to play him anymore, just because people arent good enough to avoid LB Cross Slash....i dont want a mediocre/bad cloud in this game (read: more lag/slower)

on a side note: i actually think, mewtwo is better than greninja and possibly the best pokemon right now (yes, i mean better than pikachu). if mastered, mewtwo is ridiculous with his mobility,mixups, combos and killing power. his huge hurtbox isnt so bad considering his ability to break out of many combos due to his floatiness, while also ending lives extremely fast and reliable. he just isnt so easy to master, as is greninja, but mewtwo does have more advantages overall, imo.
for me, he is top 20 and potentially even top 15. i feel like people are kinda still sleeping on him.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A) Bair
B) Bair

Bair is all things
Her having one good option just sort of reinforces why she's not a good character

Her Jab is great and all but when six of her grounded moves are pretty bad (3 tilts/3 smashes) I don't see an argument for her being outside of bottom five. Having to be in the air means committing on some level and a good few aerials isn't going to change that.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
With the nerfs, it may be a point in a meta where having a secondary is extremely helpful if not essential.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I think it's always been a good idea to play a few characters, even if you only focus on one. Never know when your dude could get gutted or your favorite low tier gets a new lease on life. And it's not as if characters are hard to learn in this game.

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Palutena has good mobility(both in the air and in the ground) combined with good aerials, and a good Jab that has set ups into kills, and she has results in tournament level way better that all the characters listed in the bottom five, i dont see how a character that has good results can be considered bottom 5.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Mewtwo isn't overtaking Greninja, and certainly not Pikachu, while retaining his glass cannon status. He's solid, but he still struggles in a game where the top and high tiers have such strong killing options. Cloud in particular looks horrible for him.

Though incidentally I think he has a pretty good MU with Sheik now.

I'd say Bowser and Greninja are both viable candidates for top 20 or 25. I'd also throw Robin and Shulk in. Way too much potential with both those characters.

Maybe I haven't seen enough, but I'm not thoroughly convinced on DK being top 20. To a lesser extent the Pits but I can see them comfortable at 20.

But really, I'd say top 30 are viable.
Greninja was already top 25 last patch, and the patch before, so he's a shoe-in for that. Should be solidly top 20 now (15-18th in the game IMO)

Bowser and Shulk are kind of random choices, and I think Robin barely misses top 30. Negligible though since IMO the top ~35 are at least somewhat viable.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
With Cloud and Bayonetta currently topping in Japan and with the balance team showing that they're not afraid to hit them with nerfs, I have no doubt that they will be nerfed in the next patch.

Lower the KBG and give limit cross slash some endlag and Cloud should be fine at that point. Bayo just needs some of her hit box's nerfed. Her up-b goes through even Clouds down air for free and bullet arts Nair is impossible to challenge from below. This could be that she has too much priority in those moves and if that is the case than that needs to be nerfed as well.

Those simple changes will keep Cloud and Bayos core gameplay in tact (which is not really the case for sheik at this point). Hopefully the balance team knows what to nerf.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I think it's always been a good idea to play a few characters, even if you only focus on one. Never know when your dude could get gutted or your favorite low tier gets a new lease on life. And it's not as if characters are hard to learn in this game.
This is why I always keep Link in my back pocket and try to use him when possible... though I really can't call him low tier personally.

But I think having a second character regardless of patches is one of the most important things competitively. One character can't do it all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cloud should've never been that fast in the first place. I still think that's bad balancing. Remeber the time when Sakurai stated he didn't want Ike to have his projectile attack from Fire Emblem cause 'that'd make him overpowered'?? Well, all that **** got thrown over board when Cloud got in. It's like the very fact Cloud got into this game should make it undeniable that Sakurai can just go without any plan of balance at all.

To be honest, am still pissed as **** that Ike doesn't have the projectile Cloud has.

I want the ***** nerfed sum moar.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Cloud should've never been that fast in the first place. I still think that's bad balancing. Remeber the time when Sakurai stated he didn't want Ike to have his projectile attack from Fire Emblem cause 'that'd make him overpowered'?? Well, all that **** got thrown over board when Cloud got in. It's like the very fact Cloud got into this game should make it undeniable that Sakurai can just go without any plan of balance at all.

To be honest, am still pissed as **** that Ike doesn't have the projectile Cloud has.

Because Square Enix wanted their representative to be OP af

Sucks too because Ike in his game is actually strong, fast, and can shoot sword beams with Ragnell. Kinda like Cloud. Unfortunately, only one can be like that

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I feel like I've kind of glossed over just how much Ganon's Jab actually improved.

I mean, it's Frame 7/8 now (which is on par with Bowser's jab) but the real kicker on Ganon's jab is not only that it comes out faster but also that the recovery time is WAY WAY better. He lost SIX FRAMES of endlag on his jab, it feels AMAZING to use now and since it reaches further than Ftilt he now has a relatively non-commital (relatively, in comparison to the rest of his kit) way to directly threaten space with a button. I actually think this is massive.

Also massive is the Wizkick damage increase which lets him beat projectiles like Greninja fully charged Shuriken (!!!!), Charizard flame Breath, and more! Shoutouts to Dash Attack sourspot having more kill confirms now too.

I think the character, while still not viable (the nature of Ganon, after all) has improved significantly and probably deserves more looking into as a result.
Late to this.
Agreed with this post completly. I want to elaborate further on his endlag buff on his DA.
https://twitter.com/RobTH_/status/710135147530686465
Sourspot DA-->Fair true combos now and it has a genouros percent range. Chances are if you are a fast faller or a big character it will still work at the 100%s (it registers as a combo on Shiek at that percent still) and if you are both(like Falcon or Ike) it will even combo at beyond 100%(around 110%). Lighter characters are not combod that late but they die earlier anyway(Mew2 dies at 90% near the ledge). His sourspot DA also sets up for various footstools and Jab combos at early %.

More infos here. There are even some setups into sourspot DA. http://smashboards.com/threads/sour-hit-of-dash-attack-set-ups.433274/#post-21008509

Ganon is actually really scary now. He has stupid high damage output combined with low-mid percent combos, his reward on a read is super good and he now has a semi reliable kill setup.

He is still a low tier mind you. I don't want to bring his weaknesses up again as by this point we probably already know by now. The Jab and wizkick buff has also been explained already to what it means for him. He is a low tier but damm is he a scary low tier and I don't think you can automatically claim he is free now, even Shiek can't(not sure about Bayo and Rosa but those two are the only one I can think of).

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I think people are overrating Mewtwo and are getting too drunk on hype.

No way in hell do I believe Mewtwo has the matchup spread of a top 15 character.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
People joking about Miis only not being in bottom 5 because they don't count... simply sound ignorant to me. The only Mii Fighter who has a strong case for being bottom 5 is 1111 default Brawler, mainly because of the whole "kill options as bad as DHD" thing accompanied by pretty poor recovery. Swordy and Gunner have good strengths which allow them to tango well with other low and mid tiers.

Mewtwo isn't even as glassy of a glass cannon as he used to be thanks to his weight buff. I don't see how it's hard to believe that he has a good matchup spread. He has a strong neutral game in regard to both offence and defence, his advantage state is definitely top tier worthy, he has some amazing moves in his kit eg. Dtilt, jab, Fair and Shadow Ball, and he is now one of the most mobile characters in the game. I am confident that this character is scary, and he is a real threat.

Btw you really don't want Ike getting any more buffs. He is one of the few characters who saw what was happening around them in this patch, cracked a malevolent smile and muttered "aw yiss."

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Daily reminder that SOMEBODY HAS TO BE BOTTOM 5. In fact, 5 people have to be bottom 5. And Miis don't count.

I challenge everyone who says "Dedede isn't bottom 5" or "lol ur dumb if u think Pally is bottom 5" to actually tell us who they think are bottom 5, or else nothing gets done at all.

Edit: To avoid being slightly hypocritical, my bottom 5 is currently occupied by :4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4dedede::4zelda::4jigglypuff:
Feel free to try and change my mind.
Regarding :4duckhunt::
13th at Super Smash Con
7th at Hyper Sumabato
7th at Sumabato 6
9th at Tipped Off 11
9th at Umebura Tokagi GP
13th at Sumabato Tokagi GP
9th at Umebura Genesis Cup
5th at Glitch

Beating players like DJ Jack, 9B, ikep, Earth, and Motsunabe along the way.

This character clearly has something going for him. In terms of pure high/top level results, he's probably kicking around mid-tier, somewhere Olimar-ish. Sure, his dedicated mains are inconsistent and his theory is bad, but bottom 5? I'd be more inclined to give that spot to Falco now, tbh.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Can we get some opinions on the people's champ this patch

:4falcon:
Better. Underrated. Does a lot better in two previously horrible MUs. Competes well with the entire cast.

Still largely overrated by the masses. Pikachu remains horrible for him. Though it's improved, I'm not convinced the Sheik MU is any better than the winnable end of -2. Linear and not a fan of the kill confirm meta as he lacks KCs himself.

Hovers around 20th. Maybe back in top 20, barely. Probably the worst or second worst high tier depending on your opinion of Mewtwo. He is high though, not mid.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Pikachu remains horrible for him.
Who?

I mean yeah it's a bad MU, but I don't think Pika will be gatekeeping characters alone anytime soon. It's not like Sheiks where there are (were?) masses of them in regional and national brackets waiting to bop you if you struggle against them.

In any case, what are Falcon's Cloud and Bayonetta matchups like? @Trifroze Gawain Gawain ?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
3 bad smashes ---> because smash attacks have always been what we use to define a characters' viability. :D

3 bad tilts aren't particularly damning either, although it's a shame she doesn't have good ones. Palutena "scrapes by" with the aforementioned Bair, except we all kinda forgot that all of her aerials are pretty great. And to get into those aerials she has a Dthrow combo, with Dthrow ---> Fair at the ledge actually being pretty threatening.

She's a character that doesn't really like being forced to go in but if she's allowed to play her mid-range game (ie against most of the lower mids) then being walled out with bair is actually pretty terrifying knowing she can just jab ---> grab / tomahawk grab / Bair AC --> grab you if you guess incorrectly.

That being said a lot of people like to use this kind of argument to justify why a character isn't bottom tier. What really tends to be a compelling argument is how this character fits in to MU spreads and tournament results. I just wanted to clear the mis-conception that the character has no tools because 6 of her grounded moves are lame (her smashes at least have range going for them too. Except for Dsmash, but we don't talk about Dsmash). She's actually really powerful (but remember that everyone's pick for worst character in the game kills you pretty regularly at 50% if you miss random moves or don't have true combos into things, so uhhh).

To speak for Paul turner I'd like to call defense attorney @M to talk about results and MUs if he so wishes.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Isn't Blade Beam trash? Eruption seems to be the better move regardless.

Take away Limit Cross Slash and I don't think Cloud would even be that great, though probably still better then Ike. But I don't think Cloud's so ridiculous that Ike might as well not exist like you're implying.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Maybe she hasn't lost her 50/50. It's just different.
This straight up doesn't work.

I dunno who the hell was "mashing" jump but you have so much time to jump after Sheik's Uthrow it's not even funny.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Regarding :4duckhunt::
13th at Super Smash Con
7th at Hyper Sumabato
7th at Sumabato 6
9th at Tipped Off 11
9th at Umebura Tokagi GP
13th at Sumabato Tokagi GP
9th at Umebura Genesis Cup
5th at Glitch

Beating players like DJ Jack, 9B, ikep, Earth, and Motsunabe along the way.

This character clearly has something going for him. In terms of pure high/top level results, he's probably kicking around mid-tier, somewhere Olimar-ish. Sure, his dedicated mains are inconsistent and his theory is bad, but bottom 5? I'd be more inclined to give that spot to Falco now, tbh.
I want to believe in the pupper. Yeah, Falco certainly isn't touting this level of results. I'll shove the bird in my bottom five. Taking Ganon out as well, as a response to this patch giving him a new lease on life.
My NEW and IMPROVED bottom 5:
:4palutena::4falco::4dedede::4zelda::4jigglypuff:

Makes me getting beat by my one buddy's Falco and Palutena hurt even more though... Yeesh.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I decided to do Ganondorf vs. Level 9 Bayonetta just to see what the AI does. This is partly because Witch Time with perfect reactions (as opposed to predictions) is interesting to observe, and usually between patches the computer will improve (did you know Bayonetta in 1.1.4 would often miss the ledge while Up B-ing and just straight up die?).

For whatever reason, CPU Bayo is noticeably easier. Perhaps they made the AI dumber to avoid being so frustrating for casual players, but I think it actually has to do with how Ganondorf's buffs work. Remember, AIs tend not to predict but to react, and having a Frame 6 jab makes it more difficult to just all out Dorf's attacks with a Witch Time. I believe there's a 1 frame delay from the CPU seeing the attack to it throwing out a counter. In practical human terms it means, while Dorf jab can be Witch TImed (of course), all it takes is 1 or 2 frames of not predicting it in time to get punched in the face.

Flame Choke's extended range means Bayonetta can't tech roll away during Flame Choke mixups. If you get the right read you can just keep doing it again and again (of course), but I believe in 1.1.4 this wasn't possible because she rolled too far away for Flame Choke.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That's... Incorrect, sorry. Not to be mean, I'm generally interested in your posts, but this is something that should be clarified. :)

Neutral is all about threat, and how you're conditioned to react against those threats. Fox isn't terrifying in neutral (especially at high percents) because he doesn't have the same threat against shield as someone like Ness, thus should you decide to commit to something in neutral you know shield might be one of those options in order to bait out a Usmash and punish.

I need to be careful about shielding against Luigi in neutral because commiting to that action of shielding has the inherent risk of 30% and being in disadvantage state trying to land near him.

And yes, my neutral has DEFINITELY changed vs competent Bowser mains since his Hoo-hah, because I need to play in a certain way in neutral to avoid dying at 70% when previous I would have been fine with taking the damage and resetting to the ledge ---> finding ways to land from there in a worst case scenario VS the reward of punishing one of Bowser's many other options while approaching.

I might be defining myself incorrectly but what I'm trying to say is threat has everything to do with neutral because neutral includes a whole set of weighing up options and possible scenarios to decide what you will do: "If I do this, they could do that... But are they likely to? And does it mean much for me if they do? So then should I do that option, or should I do this one with its various consequence trees?"
I've gotta disagree with your disagreement! If (pre-nerf) Sheik only got maybe 10% damage and inconsequential stage position as a reward for landing an attack/grab, would she still have an amazing neutral? Yes, because it's about how consistently she can win neutral, not the reward.

Kirby has great reward off of attacks/grabs, why is his neutral considered bottom tier?

If you had no qualms getting hit by old Bowser, that simply means you were OK with playing suboptimally before. As much as I like 3 stock, that's also one of the arguments used in favor of 3 stock: "You can make riskier plays" basically translates to "you can play suboptimally and are more likely to get away with it."

I agree that reward plays some part of neutral, but it's more of a mental aspect, rather than the on-paper/theoretical aspect. If Character A only got a 1% damage reward for winning neutral, and Character B gets a 999% damage reward for winning neutral, but Character A has such an overwhelming neutral that they're expected to win it 99 times out of 100, then no amount of reward changes the fact that Char A has a better neutral. You would definitely be terrified of Character B, but you can't realistically say they have a "good neutral."

tl;dr fully charged Flare Bade vs Sheik Fair

This. A character's neutral, advantage, and disadvantage states do not operate in seperate vacuums. Captain Falcon is arguably a top-tier if you look at his neutral and/or his advantage, but when you throw his horrible disadvantage into the mix, "nah, bruh, maybe next game."

On paper, :4ryu:'s neutral is pretty average. But when you're sitting at 80% facing the threat of up tilt -> Shoryuken, Ryu often has the luxury of controlling neutral and conditioning you to fight defensively.

:4metaknight:One of the biggest aspects of his neutral was that it led into one of the best punishes and a powerful advantage state. People played defensively as a result, which gave him free stage control. People are now going to play more aggressively and less cautiously because they know they can take the hits now.
I guess it depends on context. If you're looking at a character as a whole, yes you should take everything into account, but when you're saying "how is his neutral?" as a standalone, it makes sense to just look specifically at that, yknow what I mean?

Also, MK got guaranteed 0-deaths at ludicrously low percents from relatively safe sub-10 frame moves, there's no way people are still complaining about losing this, are they? :[
MK's neutral is still good, when you consider he has top tier run speed, good walk speed, and good spacing with very fast sword attacks, plus 5 jumps if you ever needed to threaten somebody from the air for some reason.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
If people are putting Falco in the bottom 5, this game is pretty damn balanced.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Who?

I mean yeah it's a bad MU, but I don't think Pika will be gatekeeping characters alone anytime soon. It's not like Sheiks where there are (were?) masses of them in regional and national brackets waiting to bop you if you struggle against them.

In any case, what are Falcon's Cloud and Bayonetta matchups like? @Trifroze Gawain Gawain ?
Well since you asked, who am I to deny lol.

I pretty much share the same opinion as Fatality and the other top falcons on fighting Cloud: its either even or just slightly in Captains favor. Cloud can gimp us hard with nair, but If cloud is offstage without limit and has to use his up B, he should die just about 100% of the time if Falcon is in range to punish. Dtilt sets up into this situation perfectly, bair too. Falcon also gets guaranteed knees from dthrow when Cloud is in limit at the right percents, and can get guaranteed knees from the same in normal mode if he catches his opponent slipping. There's more but you get the idea.

Bayonetta is similar, but I'm more optimistic about it than most players are. Bayonetta can combo Falcon very hard, but dthrow up air knee works very well against her and she falls into dthrow knee at similar percents that Pikachu does. Falcon can play a very grab heavy game which forces Bayonetta players to use witch time less, making it less likely to be a major issue, and he has plenty of guaranteed combos to avoid having his traps turned against him. For my part, I think this matchup is at least 45:55, but I can definitely see the argument for 40:60 here. DI can only save you so much from her combos and if she gets the right divekick on you its all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom