• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

12/22 - 1/12 - 2/23 GIGABITS - 3 Melees till a Brawl

SheerMadness

Smash Master
We're allowed to hate brawl just as much as you're allowed to love it. :)

Raistlin from what I've seen on videos and when I played it the physics seem insanely combo unfriendly.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
We're allowed to hate brawl just as much as you're allowed to love it. :)

Raistlin from what I've seen on videos and when I played it the physics seem insanely combo unfriendly.
Yeah, I'll admit, it does tend to make it harder, but it also makes you follow DI and techs a lot more to get combos going, and to jump out and edgeguard instead of C-stick guard like Marth. Requires a different style of play. I think the game needs time, and we'll develop combos that actually work.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Hahaha. Vision.

In actuality, I do need a teammate for this Gigabits. Who's interested?

Zoro

Smash Champion
iuno why people fear it so much
Its not like anyones gona stop playing melee anyway its a completely different game

Raistlin

Smash Lord
He's a newb. But I'll let him know if it's going on if he hasn't heard yet, because he should go!

Raistlin

Smash Lord
So it just finally set in that as of yesterday I've been on the boards for 3 full years now. I really want to come to this tourney cause it's been too long guys. Ironic that I found smashboards the day after Vday.

I need a car. Or a ride.
How far do you live from UF!!! You must come!

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Pat and Alex (Alex add 5 hours to your total time since that's how long it takes to get to Gville):

I live about 1 hour and 40 minutes from Gainesville and about 45 minutes from Gigabits. If you were to pick me up, it would add about 35 minutes to your total drive time going in one direction. However, it is only $2 in tolls one way from Deland, which saves you a total of $6 in tolls round trip.

So some pluses and minuses, but the big thing is I have to be on campus from 7pm-8am the night and morning before (hooray RA). However, I can actually house quite a few people, between my sleeper couch and extra bed in my dorm room (I don't have any sheets for the couch). It would be possible for y'all to drive down here the night before and then drive the final 3/4 hour to gigabits in the morning.

Let me know what y'all think, cause otherwise I need to start looking for a method to Orlando from someone around here.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I dunno, Jav's going to be driving and I know we both would want to sleep in our houses the night before so we don't have to get up early. I'll see what he says.

Iniquity

Smash Rookie
To anybody who hasn't gone yet and is considering it:

GO TO THESE TOURNAMENTS! I came in to observe one day and there were literally 60+ people playing smash. It was freaking awesome

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
THIS SATURDAY guys! BIG tournament for you guys.

Just so you know:

The seeding points will be re-done for our first Brawl tournament. Basically what I'm going to do is take your current seeding points and give you 10% of what you currently own. Now that percent is not final, but I do want to make it so that newcomers have a chance to get their foot in the door for these tournaments and not have to compete against Fenrir's 1000+ points, but those who have earned their points will still have an initial lead against other players just to be fair. As for seasons, I do plan on starting this for Brawl. I know that I mentioned it in the November tournament but I didn't want to start a new season when I thought Brawl was coming out in February. Ladder seasons will end in a season invitational, in which the top 32 have invites to a tournament that will have some pretty good prizes for you elites to take home. Now lets say one of the 32 can't make it, I'll just take the rank 33 guy and so forth. So if you're on the top 45, you're in great shape!

So! What to expect when brawl comes out:

1) Seeding points re-done.
2) The start of ladder seasons!
3) New prizes and sponsorships
4) MORE CHAIRS!!!!

EDIT: I believe you can hook your Wii up to the computer monitors here at the center! So instead of using the uber small TVs that some of you bring in (not discouraging you from bringing them, of course, they help a lot!!) you can use a wide screen monitor with a 5ms response time! So if we really have to, you can play your match on one of the computer stations. This will give more room out to the players and make these tournaments even more organized. Provided you guys don't do mass friendlies on tournament monitors :dizzy:

See what I did there?! I totally just made this look like a Blizzard post lolol

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
So uh...is there a prize for having the most seed points?

Like, I know they'll carry over, but there should be something, right?

haha...don't listen to me.

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
So uh...is there a prize for having the most seed points?

Like, I know they'll carry over, but there should be something, right?

haha...don't listen to me.

I don't know about that yet. It all depends on how many sponsors we can pull. If I get a lot, then sure I can reward some folks. We can do it where you 'spend' 500 points for something, who knows. As for now, it doesn't seem likely. If you guys know of any businesses that can take part with some sort of sponsorship you're more than welcome to do your part. After all, the spoils will go to only you guys anyways!

The more people you bring, the more money you get and the more skill you gain. I've seen people who have started off at about 20th place make top 5, even top 3 since we've started these tournaments. More people = more skill + money!

Top Bottom