• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Whens the folks tell me how they want to talk to me sometime,

it would be great if they were like (x many hours from this post).

Because, funny thing,
I live on this like...

other side... of the globe

far away...

where crazy things like WARPED TIME ZONES,
and SUMMER AT CHRISTMAS OCCURS.

holy moly.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol every time I'm on here late, the Aussie members come out. I think you guys have bat wings, eliptical irises (aka "cat eyes"), and feast on goats/blood.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Don't be so doubtful of junk's abilities.

Phi,

IT'S CLOSE TO MIDDDDDDDDNIGHT (12:35am),
and something evil's lurking in the darkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

IT'S OUT TO GETTTTTTTT YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

-Kimi Ni Mune BLOOD ~KYUNNOBLOOD~

COZ THIS IS THRILLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I lost one of my favorite ppl to play :(
Palpi is my favorite to play; I thought he'd never take out the Melee disk ^_~

I played about an hour of Melee every day, when I didn't have Brawl. I could only play computers, though, and had no way to attend tournaments; I have no idea what I thought my plan was.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't think it's possible to make me interested in anything below truly top level Brawl play, and for that I need people to train me in it, and honestly, I don't think wifi will cut it.

Ok, well maybe with the super special awesome trick that will taught me it might.

Palpi is my favorite to play; I thought he'd never take out the Melee disk ^_~

I played about an hour of Melee every day, when I didn't have Brawl. I could only play computers, though, and had no way to attend tournaments; I have no idea what I thought my plan was.
M2K style?

My current problem is tech skill so I do a good amount of training against empty controllers (float canceling nair OOS is HARD). I also think I just got a breakthrough in my melee skill, I might just be over the top to go pro, need to fight Jared (a **** Roy and Jigglypuff player, who I'd say is currently around the second best Roy in the US, though he needs to go to tournies more, also needs to be more active on smashboards, usually goes by some variation of ninjew) and see if I've really gotten it down.

∫unk

Smash Master
Lmao @ adum

you won't experience top level play but youre not good enough where that will matter (like 99% of us)

you will experience high level play, and I can guarantee you will get ***** from better players

so really I don't see how it's not a learning oppourtunity and if u don't think losing because you go outplayed instead of wifi tactics is intersing then your playing the wrong game

Player-3

Smash Hero
yeah junk is right
i went to to5 and played a lot of people OoS and it helped me alot just cuz it was like

wtf people do that stuff? cool ill watch out for that

then i played m2k and hbox and was like

Player-3

Smash Hero
i was only there for like, 4 hours on the doubles day because i just got over some sort of sickness i forgot what it was

i would have said hi but i was either playing doubles matches with people or playing other guys, i played handorin for a while in falco dittos, learned alot from those

i every time i saw you you were playing a match of some sort.. if i didnt have to leave so early i definently would have said hi and gotten wrecked by your falco
lol

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Lmao @ adum

you won't experience top level play but youre not good enough where that will matter (like 99% of us)

you will experience high level play, and I can guarantee you will get ***** from better players

so really I don't see how it's not a learning oppourtunity
I understand that I'm not good enough now, yet this level of play holds no interest for me, at the same time, I'm approaching that level of play with melee (even though melee is a lot more interesting at much lower levels of play anyway).

So, that leaves me with a choice, get to that level (which melee shows me I am capable of) or quit.

But is the top level of play even worth it for me, is it interesting enough for it to be worth my time to reach?

adum u wont go pro just cuz u have tech skill -_-
I never thought that, I don't think you realize what my thought process was.

I'm already good, but my real breakthrough is recognizing exactly where the gaps are in my game.

Some needed tech skill to correct (and that's what I've been practicing) others just needed recognition and conscious fixing.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
High level Melee is pretty darn satisfying. No clue who you play in Melee but the better you are, the more in-depth and complicated your combos become, and that's always a rewarding feeling.

More than that, to me, is the hype people get when you play someone good and pull off a tricky combo or use an unorthodox method of getting in on someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4Uq5v9C9M#movie_player @ 5:22 is a personal example.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
But Peepee, youre good at melee =P
I am loving the commentary in that vid, lmao

If tech skill were everything, M2K would be terrible at melee cause his average APM is like 150 ish, whilst people like shiz hit 250 all day long.

Adum plays top roys i suppose? I dont think that helps too much though because nobody plays roy.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
adum have you ever played a top player
Brawl, a few.

Got *****.

Melee, yes, quite a few. Almost took a match off Scar at snes, and I'm a LOT better now.

It helps that my school is pro at melee.

High level Melee is pretty darn satisfying. No clue who you play in Melee but the better you are, the more in-depth and complicated your combos become, and that's always a rewarding feeling.

More than that, to me, is the hype people get when you play someone good and pull off a tricky combo or use an unorthodox method of getting in on someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4Uq5v9C9M#movie_player @ 5:22 is a personal example.
It's not even the combos (honestly, the tech skill required is annoying), it's the depth, the number of good decisions you can make, the number of bad ones, and the number of good ones, the number of things you can predict your opponent and the number of ways to get predicted, THAT'S what's important.

But Peepee, youre good at melee =P

If tech skill were everything, M2K would be terrible at melee cause his average APM is like 150 ish, whilst people like shiz hit 250 all day long.

Adum plays top roys i suppose? I dont think that helps too much though because nobody plays roy.
There are a number of other players similar to my level in my school (though if I'm right and I really have truly recognized what flaws I have and incorporated that realization into my game, then I'll be beating them easily), but if I've surpassed him, that goes above and beyond just being a good tournament player, even if he is Roy.

He's a nasty Jiggs player also though.

Also, it's not like these are the only people I've played, I mean I may not go to tournaments every weekend, but when I'm at the top of my game, I've shown that I can do some pretty crazy things (ex. almost take a match off scar). What it comes down to is, I've been showing a lot of potential for a while, and maybe, just maybe I've taken the steps that will allow me to realize it.

I mean this is all self-observation, but I think I had this breakthrough and everyone I've faced so far since this commented on how much I've changed since yesterday, but I haven't gotten a chance to test it against the best real test I had, so I'll see.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@adum: I guess that's up to you how many good options you consider to be enough for you to work on it. I see some new way to do something most of the time when I play, and have learned several ways to get out of almost anything. If that isn't enough for you, then it's something you just have to look at for yourself.

My point about combos was personal satisfaction, but they are also derived from you making great decisions and your opponents making bad/worse ones.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i thought he just said low level melee play is more exciting than brawls

hes just wondering if top level play is interesting enough

like if it takes him however long to get to that level

will he still be interested in the game

or something

ryoko with a ponytail is MAD hot

omg

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
By a match, do you mean a set, adum? If not, then I don't want to hear about it. Almost taking a game is still getting 2-0'd.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
oh
then how can you think top level melee ISNT satisfying

its so crazy
Top level BRAWL.

Top level brawl I'm not convinced is satisfying. I hate low-level melee, love mid-level melee, and the better I get the more interesting it is to me

@adum: I guess that's up to you how many good options you consider to be enough for you to work on it. I see some new way to do something most of the time when I play, and have learned several ways to get out of almost anything. If that isn't enough for you, then it's something you just have to look at for yourself.

My point about combos was personal satisfaction, but they are also derived from you making great decisions and your opponents making bad/worse ones.
I think you misunderstand.

I love melee, as far as I'm concerned the only downside is the tech skill requirement, I'm of the line of thought that considers tech skill just an entry barrier, so it better if it's a true combo, that it's technically easy to perform.

Of course, so much in melee really isn't, a lot of the more difficult stuff can be DI'd out of, but when you predict your opponent's DI, you can follow up with other options.

Granted, there's a lot of true combos, and guaranteed stuff, it's got hitstun (and fox is probably the most technical character in any fighting game, ever. Falco being the possible exception).

But still, it's interesting because of the useful options, the depth.

i thought he just said low level melee play is more exciting than brawls

hes just wondering if top level play is interesting enough

like if it takes him however long to get to that level

will he still be interested in the game

or something

ryoko with a ponytail is MAD hot

omg
I think you misunderstand.

I love melee, it's Brawl that I'm considering quitting.

edit:

By a match, do you mean a set, adum? If not, then I don't want to hear about it. Almost taking a game is still getting 2-0'd.

Considering who Scar is, getting 2-0'd isn't a mark against you unless you established yourself as better then that.

Almost taking a SET, I think I can take a set off him now, I want a rematch at Pound 4. But recognize that doing that represents a certain level of skill, and almost taking a set represents another (much higher) benchmark.

That said, if you can get somebody to last stock, high percents, then you can get a match, if you can get a match, then you can get a set. It wasn't like I played 50 games with him either, we only met in the brackets.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ya you were talking about melee but i didnt see that you changed the subject mid-post.

mis-spaced my fair

got grabbed

oh noes

Player-3

Smash Hero
oh

yeah just quit brawl is a pretty boring game imo, though i still play it to sandbag and cause giant upsets when i enter tournaments for lulz

unless your SAMBONER

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Top level BRAWL.

I love melee, it's Brawl that I'm considering quitting.
Go for it, brawls a bad game, even though its really fun, melee is infinitely more satisfying. If I had anyone around me who played melee, i'd quit brawl too. As it is i can 4 stock all my friends with about half the cast in melee if i try, makes me sad :(

Veit you didnt just misspace your fair and get grabbed, you misspaced your fair and got grabbed by an icys, who proceeded to chaingrab you in 6 different ways up to 999 and then jab you for the kill.

Watch your spacing everyone.

Albert.

Smash Master
-_-
Can't everyone just agree that they are both good games in their own way? If you think brawl sucks then why post in a brawl forum? :) (not directed at anyone specific here but just like a question for the rabid brawl haters in SWF)

Anyway Pikachu is really fun to play as.

but then I went Marth, and wrecked harder.

against my scrubby roommate

Roxas M

Smash Master
Go for it, brawls a bad game, even though its really fun, melee is infinitely more satisfying. If I had anyone around me who played melee, i'd quit brawl too. As it is i can 4 stock all my friends with about half the cast in melee if i try, makes me sad :(

Veit you didnt just misspace your fair and get grabbed, you misspaced your fair and got grabbed by an icys, who proceeded to chaingrab you in 6 different ways up to 999 and then jab you for the kill.

Watch your spacing everyone.
same for me. brawl is fun but melee is waaay more fun. i just don't have anyone to play melee with.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Brawl is gay, but im so much better at it than melee. I enjoy playing brawl, though it is gay. I think melee is a better game though, that is why I am practicing it. :)

Top Bottom