• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS General Discussion

Tesh

Smash Hero
Nick didn't beat anyone good though. Getting a better bracket doesn't make him better. Will and Shaky have both beaten Nick Riddle too. Even as Salem's results slipped after Apex, its still leagues better than what any other ZSS ever has done and probably ever will. You can laugh at how M2K was bad at the matchup, but he 3 stocked Nick Riddle without any matchup knowledge anyway.

Those 3 ZSS had their shot even with alot of ignorance of the ZSS matchup to use and they still did not do anywhere near as well as Salem. Salem still won the toughest tournament ever, while other Zero Suits dont even win locals (well salem doesnt either :p). That doesn't become undone just because they slipped past him in bracket once.

At the end of the day, he made more money at Apex that any other brawl player will net from willing dozens of tournaments. He won where it mattered the most.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
^ Keyword: now.

Salem probably holds the biggest legacy of any ZSS will ever have, and I'll be the first to give him that. However, can you not tell how rusty he is at this game? You're bringing up an argument that Salem is the greatest ZSS of all time, while I'm only saying that Nick and some other highly-ranked ZSS players are better than him right now. It's like saying Sheik is the best character in Melee of all time just because she was originally topping the tier list, but now that she's only 3rd on the list, it doesn't really right now in today's metagame because Fox and Falco are far superior.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Look at something other than placing and you will see no one stepped up anything this weekend.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I will say that your argument applies moreso to Ally than Salem, who unlike Salem has been placing far better in his recent tournaments than Salem has. The rust only hit Ally in one tournament result, indicating his rust, but Salem's been placing below the top 5 in one tournament after another most recently. Salem's rust got to him so hard in this tournament that two ZSS players topped better than him both significantly, indicating that his skill has rather dropped since Apex.

Tesh

Smash Hero
True, in a few months I'm sure they can claim their "win by default" just like the Snakes that stepped it up when Razer/Ally left.

However, at SKTAR no ZSS truly outperformed Salem even though it was his weakest performance since Apex. As I said, the best that can be said is that DRN beat Seibrik. But lets also not forget that if Salem had played Seibrik in bracket, he would have won because it takes Seibrik 7 games to slay ZSS and we dont do that in tournaments.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Nick didn't beat anyone good though. Getting a better bracket doesn't make him better.

HEY CAN WE LOOK AT SALEM'S APEX BRACKET NOW SINCE WE DO THIS TO OTHER PLAYERS?

oh wait no we cant because hes salem lol

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Heero, you're being illogical.
I think this might be literally the first tournament ever where Salem was outplaced by another ZSS. Maybe he has lost his drive, or maybe he is rusty, but you can't say those things for sure based off of one tournament only, because this is like by far the worst he's done since Apex 2013. Even after Apex 2013 he achieved wins over M2K, ZeRo and ADHD, which are all top-level wins.
The 'right now' argument is useless if you're only going to look at the results of the 1 most recent tournament, ESPECIALLY SKTAR 2 since that **** was FULL of upsets. Looking at only the most recent tournament is dumb because if 2 players outplaced each other back and forth, or beat each other back and forth, then you'd have to switch your stance every month/after every tourney which is just dumb. People perform differently on different occasions, have different brackets, improve, are better at certain MUs, etc.

Also ftr Salem didn't even go ZSS against Shaky, he went Snake.
Also wtf at no other ZSSs win locals, I win locals XD

Also idk how you could make the argument that I'm > Salem, I didn't even outplace him. The only thing I have over him is that I won my last encounter vs Will, whereas Salem lost it.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I was so salty about SKTAR dubs i wanted NickRiddle and Shaky to take it sooo badd lol also yes SFP is indeed the best ZSS.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I think this might be literally the first tournament ever where Salem was outplaced by another ZSS. Maybe he has lost his drive, or maybe he is rusty, but you can't say those things for sure based off of one tournament only, because this is like by far the worst he's done since Apex 2013. Even after Apex 2013 he achieved wins over M2K, ZeRo and ADHD, which are all top-level wins.
The 'right now' argument is useless if you're only going to look at the results of the 1 most recent tournament, ESPECIALLY SKTAR 2 since that **** was FULL of upsets. Looking at only the most recent tournament is dumb because if 2 players outplaced each other back and forth, or beat each other back and forth, then you'd have to switch your stance every month/after every tourney which is just dumb. People perform differently on different occasions, have different brackets, improve, are better at certain MUs, etc.

Also idk how you could make the argument that I'm > Salem, I didn't even outplace him. The only thing I have over him is that I won my last encounter vs Will, whereas Salem lost it.
Alright, you win and I'm convinced. I'll await one or two more tournaments that Salem attends, and if the same amount of upsets occur involving him will I make my own verdict. I still remain in the position that in a few months, you and a few other good players will surpass him.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
ZSS can't glide toss backwards, but I'm sure there is a technique that allows you glide backwards (Was it called foxtrotting? Not really sure), does anyone know this technique? I also have problems regarding the Game and Watch Matchup, I find myself pressured on stage and getting hit by N-air quite often when I'm in the air. Any tips regarding this MU? Thanks :)

Say you dash forward. If you do not keep the control stick held at all, then the character simply comes to a stop right? But, before going into a stop they have to enter this little braking animation. Well, just before this breaking animation a character can continue to dash forward. Foxtrot is this idea of only moving by doing the consecutive dash animations without ever entering a full run or braking animation.

One benefit out of this is that during that one moment before entering the brake animation you can do a variety of things like dash backwards. While attempting to dash backwards a character has to turn around for one frame before entering the next animation. During this one frame you can do a variety of things such as a smashes, standing grab, shield, jab, etc.

So, you could fox trot (dash -> dash -> dash) -> turn-around -> ftilt.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Shaky won a FL tournament using mostly ZSS yesterday.
Beat me in the ditto set 1 of GF, then I switched characters because it was too stressful.

He and I beat MVD and RedHalberd with ZSS.

ATL SOUTH ZERO SUITS!

Exdeath

Smash Master

Since when does DRN not outplace Salem?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
They were on stream, not sure how good the stream ended up being though.
I hope so, I wanna watch GF S1 to see how to improve further in the ditto.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Since when does DRN not outplace Salem?
I think they're actually 2-1 in terms of outplacing each other, in Salem's favour

Salem outplaced DRN at SKTAR 1 and Apex 2013
DRN outplaced Salem at SKTAR 2
They tied for 33rd at Apex 2012

Dunno if there were any other tournies that they both attended

Also goddammit now Shaky has a better ZSS than me too, wtf

PEACE7

Smash Champion
It was ****ing horrible lmao

Also can someone link me to some good matches of ZSS vs Icies or some notes about the MU, i don't know much about it at all.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey how do you do the Dash + reverse ground neutral B with ZZS?
What I do: Dash > Let go of the analog stick (make sure it returns to neutral position) > Press B > Press the opposite direction on the analog stick quickly.
Make sure you don't press B+left/right on the analog stick together, or that might result in a Plasma Whip.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ahh, so it's pressing the reverse direction after B instead of before. Thanks for the tip.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
You never truly retire from this game. It's like riding a bike. Plus razur went and beat denty shortly after. So I don't think rusty johns are legit

Top Bottom