• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
The reason Leonardo is so good is because his attacks are rangy, fast, and powerful. He doesn't need his throws to be effective.

In fact, I'd probably rarely grab with him except to mix-up my attacks.
I never said that Leonardo wasn't good. He's easily one of the best in the game. Fast attacks, high damage (both on individual hits and combos), very good moveset overall, lots of tech chase setups, good aerial movement, low jump height, and an amazing side throw; he has all the makings of a top tier character. His main weakness lies in the fact that his moves are unsafe on block and his safer moves have relatively short range (shorter than they should have) because he gets poor extension on those attacks. Grabs are a necessity simply because you need the opponent to stop blocking. Throws, on the other hand, are only a necessity if the opponent has a faster jab then him (otherwise he controls the grab release situation).

Nonetheless, his side throw is one of the best in the game (even better than Karai's side throw). The opponent has to tech the throw or they take a guaranteed 7B into a combo that resets the tech chase. Even when they tech the throw, Leonardo is fast enough to run after them and have his usual jab/grab mixups off the roll (you can just regrab off the roll, but that won't get you very far if that's all you do).

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Smash Up is a mix between smash and traditional fighting games. However it much more closely resembles a traditional fighting game than Smash. As such, wakeup situations are highly disadvantaged for the player on the ground, this is nothing new. Smash does make this situation much more pronounced because it lacks reversals, but that just further emphasizes that you need to know all your opponents options and how to counter those.

I've been playing Smash Up for a long time and let me tell you, if you have good people to play against, it's far from boring. The lack of quality options only serves to further push your ability to read your opponent as every move is beatable. In almost every situation there is an option that will allow you to escape which is based on which option your opponent picked.

Leonardo is amazing in Smash Up (as he should be), but he's far from broken once you master throw reversals. Getting out poked by Raphael is serious business.

You don't know what you're missing. Smash Up isn't for everyone, but it's far from garbage.
maybe it isn't after reading your explanation, when it gets to $20 i'll consider picking it up. im just bitter at fighters lately due to having no competition offline and every other wii game i've bought in less than 2 months leads back to smash.....

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Np @Mocha! Lemme know if you need any of the .brstms or .mp3s.

It did bring up a good point though, KayLo!...

WHO is he going to have ice cream with?
Well at this point in the story he doesn't have to worry about it. =P

I never liked Xion either. Just another Kairi/Namine/Clone/Whatever that KH likes pumping out every game. Minor differences aside, they're all the same.
Her and Kairi yeah, but Larxene and Aqua are the ****. A majority of females in video games generally follow the same mold regardless of the series (especially in Square Enix games......), so all things considered, the latter two weren't facepalmingly redundant.

Kairi and Namine can go kick rocks somewhere, though.

Bigger Note: I'm probably going the way of the GreyFox and will probably be done with Smash after the tournament in Philly. I've just grown bored of playing the game. With me managing and playing for my own baseball team, my true love (Baseball) is taking all my time and interest.
Aw! But at least you'll be around.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Too bad you could play the game on auto-pilot...
Then you must have been playing some terrible people. Using Utrominator's jab reset techchase is one of the most absurdly difficult things I've ever attempted to do in video games. You have to throw out a non-buffered jab within a 2 frame window, and then you have to be able to react to your opponent's roll or getup and punish accordingly. If your opponent rolls, you have to already be running in time to grab him again. If your opponent remains on the ground, you have to either jab him again or follow up with a 7A. Both of theses moves cannot be buffered to hit your opponent, so they must be done frame perfect by the player. It's probably the most rediculous thing you can do from a grab in that game, and it's hardly "auto-pilot".

Your comments make it fairly clear that you have never played Smash Up in depth, which is understandable, since like sniperworm said, it's not a game for everyone. Ledonardo is amazing for the reasons sniperworm said. He also has an amazing Jab that's completely safe on block and does huge guard damage. Generally speaking, nearly all of the good characters in this game have some sort of amazing techchase or reset that come from using throws. While some are corner specific, a lot can be done witout a corner. Shredder in particular has a rediculous reset from his throw, and it can be done from anywhere. This is amazing in a game that rewards the player so well for successfully reading your opponent. Saying that Leonardo's throw isn't even needed is like sayinging Dedede doesn't need his grab.

sniperworm essentially invented the Smash Up metagame. He knows what he's talking about. Smash Up has never been, nor ever will be my favorite game. That being said, I stll find the game rediculously fun. It's a game that rewards you constantly for thinking, and the fact that nearly every character in this game has some amazing trait makes every character unique and unfair in their own particular way. Think of it like Brawl-, just the original Brawl-.

but Larxene and Aqua are the ****
Well, Larxene was a villian. They had to give her a different personality. (I swear if Larxene acted like Kairi or Naime, Square-Enix would be the laziest game designers I've ever seen.)

As far as Aqua goes, giving someone like her the Kairi personality again would be dumb. At least she's different, versus the 3 clones that I dislike so much. (Kairi, Namine, Xion, and Olette to an extent.)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Then you must have been playing some terrible people. Using Utrominator's jab reset techchase is one of the most absurdly difficult things I've ever attempted to do in video games. You have to throw out a non-buffered jab within a 2 frame window, and then you have to be able to react to your opponent's roll or getup and punish accordingly. If your opponent rolls, you have to already be running in time to grab him again. If your opponent remains on the ground, you have to either jab him again or follow up with a 7A. Both of theses moves cannot be buffered to hit your opponent, so they must be done frame perfect by the player. It's probably the most rediculous thing you can do from a grab in that game, and it's hardly "auto-pilot".

Your comments make it fairly clear that you have never played Smash Up in depth, which is understandable, since like sniperworm said, it's not a game for everyone. Ledonardo is amazing for the reasons sniperworm said. He also has an amazing Jab that's completely safe on block and does huge guard damage. Generally speaking, nearly all of the good characters in this game have some sort of amazing techchase or reset that come from using throws. While some are corner specific, a lot can be done witout a corner. Shredder in particular has a rediculous reset from his throw, and it can be done from anywhere. This is amazing in a game that rewards the player so well for successfully reading your opponent. Saying that Leonardo's throw isn't even needed is like sayinging Dedede doesn't need his grab.

sniperworm essentially invented the Smash Up metagame. He knows what he's talking about. Smash Up has never been, nor ever will be my favorite game. That being said, I stll find the game rediculously fun. It's a game that rewards you constantly for thinking, and the fact that nearly every character in this game has some amazing trait makes every character unique and unfair in their own particular way. Think of it like Brawl-, just the original Brawl-.

Well, Larxene was a villian. They had to give her a different personality. (I swear if Larxene acted like Kairi or Naime, Square-Enix would be the laziest game designers I've ever seen.)

As far as Aqua goes, giving someone like her the Kairi personality again would be dumb. At least she's different, versus the 3 clones that I dislike so much. (Kairi, Namine, Xion, and Olette to an extent.)
You OBV never played MvC2.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
(Kairi, Namine, Xion, and Olette to an extent.)
Qft. Lame, lame, almost not as lame but still lame, and so unimportant, she's not even worthy of being called lame.

Although to be fair to Olette, I don't really like any of the Twilight Town crew. x.x Olette and Pence are horribly dull, even for background characters. Hayner's so-so.

It's so dirty.

She's like...inside him.
That's the complete reverse of how it's suppose to be.
Hehe, have you read BBS's storyline/Nomura's interviews?

People inside people inside alternate versions of people inside alternate realms..... I want them to end the series already, it's getting a little ridiculous.

Supposedly after the main KH games are done (ending with KH3), Sora's story will be over, and they're gonna continue with spin-offs. :urg: I'm not excited. Imo, KH is amazing as a one-off series, but it doesn't have the bones to be something continuous like FF.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I know, Klo. I lol about it all the time.

And true, I want the series to end already too.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
it's my birthday tomorrow guys so I won't be on all day

wish me luck I'm going SKYDIVING!

MrEh

Smash Hero
Have fun Kata. Don't die. XD

You OBV never played MvC2.
I can't even see how my post gave you any indication of such a thing.

Although to be fair to Olette, I don't really like any of the Twilight Town crew. x.x Olette and Pence are horribly dull, even for background characters. Hayner's so-so.
The only good thing about them was that Pence's outfit had "Dog Street" on it. I'm a sucker for The Bouncer, even if that game was terrible.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Guys. GUYS.

Double Zelda is too pro in teams. .......Against Ike and Peach. =X

MrEh

Smash Hero
While I eagerly await OC Remix to finish their Pokemon remix album, I looked around to se eif I could find some official Nintendo arrangements. And sure enough...Nintendo loves remixing Pokemon music. I know what music I'll be using on Pokemon Stadium now.

Steven Stone...the most amazing trainer in all of Pokemon. Despite having that strange rock fetish, he was at least well dressed. Seriously, Blue wore like jeans and a shirt. Lance had that whole cape thing going on. Cynthia wore that dress thingamajig that magically hid all of her cleavage. (Have you seen artwork of her? Jesus Christ. It's like her outfit mysteriously makes her boobs disappear.) And what did Steven wear? A suit, that's what.

there were like a thousand zeldas in doubles for kawaii kon.
And look at how fast they dropped. lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
TMNT smash up discussion? I bought that game........................worst 50 bucks i ever spent in my life. stupid gamestop would only give me 15 bucks for it too.

MrEh

Smash Hero
TMNT smash up discussion? I bought that game........................worst 50 bucks i ever spent in my life. stupid gamestop would only give me 15 bucks for it too.
Sucks. It goes for like $20 nowadays.

i would just like to say

i <3 this place
You should play Pokemon, like the rest of us.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Steven Stone...the most amazing trainer in all of Pokemon. Despite having that strange rock fetish, he was at least well dressed. Seriously, Blue wore like jeans and a shirt. Lance had that whole cape thing going on. Cynthia wore that dress thingamajig that magically hid all of her cleavage. (Have you seen artwork of her? Jesus Christ. It's like her outfit mysteriously makes her boobs disappear.) And what did Steven wear? A suit, that's what.
The clothing in the Pokemon world is always weird and not..... very good most of the time imo. x.x I can't remember a single outfit I've actually liked, although some of the Team Rocket outfits were all right, and Ash/Red's style got progressively better. :urg:

Out of all the protagonists, I liked Dawn's outfits the best by far, especially her Platinum one:

& I didn't know OCRemix was doing a Pokemon album! Kick***.

But those Zeldas felt that Link. Told BOTH of them to get back in the kitchen.
But..... which match got saved? Exactly.

Can't spam Din's with superior counterspam in the way. :(

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The other character was Peach. x.o

But we didn't really try to camp that hard the entire time..... it was just friendlies, hehe. Although in the match I saved, we got a double usmash on Ike (as in, at the same time, lol!) and a Din's > LK for the win..... those were the only reasons I kept it. =X

Also: Link's boomerang admittedly scares the **** out of me. I've been blown off-stage during Din's one too many times. x.x

Bandit

Smash Lord
Your partner was Peach? Who outspams her???

Link's boomerang is not much of a worry for me. I actually like to avoid it and then ride it back in using it as an approach.

Top Bottom