• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Well we all need more Diddy MU exp, among others. Judging someone by one match though, or someone who isn't very comfortable yet with the matchup? Heck I have days where I'll play decent one day, and terrible in another, almost as if I was a completely different player. Point in case, it may not have been one of Ed's better days <.<

And yeah Zelda's glide toss is hella long xD

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Alright, I'm finished with my pool. With a little help from Sheik, moving on to Round 2 (2nd Seed). Awaiting other Zelda pools.

2-0 gambit
2-0 JaZz
2-1 Keitaro (THANK YOU ZELDA!!!)
0-2 Gnes (Great matches)

:phone:
You didn't go Zelda at all in our set. Replace thank you Zelda with (thank you sheik ftilt lock).

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I think I have Diddy matchup down pretty well. I haven't lost to one in like a year or two. I haven't played any greats like ADHD though... And in truth no matter what we are Zelda players and there is always more to learn lol.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I apologize if I offended you, but I said nothing offensive. Keep in mind that I have a very broad perspective of the game, and impressing me is an extremely difficult thing to do. I actually have lots of experience with most of the top players, and you are simply not on that level. However, anyone can improve, you simply have plateaus to overcome. When I analyze gameplay, I don't just compare you to the small pool of other Zelda players, I compare you to ALL players. Striving to be the best Zelda is a shallow and fruitless goal IMO.

tl;dr
I don't care if he's "one of the best Zelda's around". I analyzed his gameplay and decision making ability against high level players, and I do not feel he is one. Certainly not at the Diddy Kong MU at any rate.

Props to being able to Glide Toss with Zelda though. I can't do it, ROFL.
I know what you mean, and don't worry, the ouch was sarcasm. However, seeing this and being done with Apex makes me want to improve even more. The fire is burning bright here.

@Keitaro: bro.....I know I can thank Sheik tilt lock. I put the "thank you Zelda" because there were a number of times where I transformed and got kills with her. You know that. We had a really fun set though, hopefully I end up in Ny/Nj so we can play again.

Sourspot Dair is awesome. I need to put it in my game some more I think.

:phone:

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Am I the only one who does sour spotted d air -> d tilt -> up smash/up tilt?
yeah! I like this too! if you immediately SH dair she flows straight into dtilt just by pressing c-stick down. it's cool!

it's basically a downward sex kick.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Mocha, his avi looks like something Jay Phenrix(look him up on DeviantArt) may have drew because I think I see his emblem on the picture.

I might be on his old DA 'Twilit-Arawen'.

:rosalina:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Exactly. Oh and Riot, I played your buddy Bizkit on wifilolz. Very good Snake, despite lag, it was refreshing to fight a Snake with mindgames and excellent use of nades (other than Ultimate Razer)
Yah Bizkit is a great Snake when he is on his game. His camping is literally my fav in teams. Mike could have learned from him... but in retrospect Bizkit could also learn a thing or two from Mike in teams when it comes to stage clearing and protecting his Zelda partner lol. NE Snake mains are the cream of the crop! =P

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
I did sourspot dair to usmash once. I thought it was a fluke so I never expanded into what more I could get from it.

But hearing the top Zeldas mention it, let alone praise it, makes me wanna see what else I can learn about it.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Sour spot dair to lightning kick works for me :D I even got a sweetspot dair to sweetspot bair before... was sweet.

Never thought about dair -> dtilt -> whatever though... soooo many new things to try out!!

Also what happened to Sonic this thread needs a new title :(

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Why is some random guy I've never heard of trying to tell us how to use Zelda, then says that Scary's Zelda is bad, and then says he has a broad viewpoint of the game? lolz

dair sucks. How are you guys hitting with it?

ftr, it does NOT give a large frame advantage. It's almost as bad as sourspot fair/bair.

It's good on DK and bowser though, if you somehow manage to get them offstage.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
The thing is it's Zelda and why Pierce needs to remind us of the fact that she sucks and obviously can't contend with the top players is beyond me. I do think his opinions of up air are interesting enough to be considered although I would love to see how good his Zelda is.

Given the fact that he thinks it's fruitless to play Zelda... I imagine he hasn't put in much time in her and I'd love to see some matches vs. top players where he does well and lands a bunch of up airs (because let's be real... how often do up airs land?).

I had your opinion about Zelda's dair Aero, but after all these potential uses were mentioned I think some testing is in order. Of course like you said, the frame advantage is quite small so I imagine you'll have to be closer to the ground. Dair does have 21 frames of landing lag though o.o

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm mostly staying out of this but it's unfair to Ed to have someone say Link me to a good video of a Zelda, and I will see if I can point out a few examples of where Uair might be good.
then have a video link posted where Ed gets a full critique he didn't ask for or choose the video for that starts with Okay, I'm about a minute in, and I don't really like Ed's Zelda all that much. and doesn't say where he should have used Uair, only where it wasn't the best option.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
The only way it seems to get the advantage from sour spot dair is when your opponent is off the ground and you hit them down into the ground. That is where I have had the most success comboing with it. If you hit them while they are still grounded it really isn't good for Zelda.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The only way it seems to get the advantage from sour spot dair is when your opponent is off the ground and you hit them down into the ground. That is where I have had the most success comboing with it. If you hit them while they are still grounded it really isn't good for Zelda.
This. If you can avoid dair's landing lag (full hop, maybe possible on a short hop? I forget all that frame data ****), that's even better.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Mocha, his avi looks like something Jay Phenrix(look him up on DeviantArt) may have drew because I think I see his emblem on the picture.

I might be on his old DA 'Twilit-Arawen'.

:rosalina:
I found him, thanks Two. He had an interesting art style, enjoyed some of his other works too

Yah Bizkit is a great Snake when he is on his game. His camping is literally my fav in teams. Mike could have learned from him... but in retrospect Bizkit could also learn a thing or two from Mike in teams when it comes to stage clearing and protecting his Zelda partner lol. NE Snake mains are the cream of the crop! =P
Yeah, I hear ya. I team with a Snake as well, and I've found that one of the main problems with the team is if we're stuck in the middle and having our opponents box in on us. This leaves us more open for damage, explosions, hitting each other, etc. I feel like once the two start getting juggled, it's very tough to reset our positions. Snake in particular gets juggled a lot in teams, I find myself stock tanking most of the time.

I feel like one of the best team positions with the two so far is (and I know this isn't anything new) but Zelda in the far end, camping with Din's, and Snake camping with nades in front, and have his tilts/grabs/etc for when opponents start approaching and splitting us up.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Hey guys, I kinda came to the realization that this is going to be a very big semester for me. Because of this, I won't be able to be to active at least for the next coming months at least as far as posting. I'll continue to try and do tourneys on the side if I can but looking to pick up a full-time job along with full-time student will be tricky. I understand people do this all the time but it's gonna be brand new and likely difficult for me so I have to put all my time into this at least until I get comfortable. It's kinda lame, but I have to surrender the time I spend here for other things that'll keep me going. If anything, I'll be lurking from time to time and I think my profile sends me emails when people PM me....so PM me if you wanna chat or get a hold of me. I check my email all too much lol. Some regret I have was starting the guide thingy because once things started to get heavy for me with life, I realized I couldn't follow up on helping out like I said I would and it makes me feel like I've let you guys down a lot. Biggest and pretty much only regret I have with smash in general. Bunch of other little ones like tournament stuffs but all minuscule and negligible. Keep on pushing Zelda you guys that rep. I'll try and do the same if I have the time.

@Kata: It pains me but can you lock up my thread for now? It's a project I need to revisit in the summer because I'll go crazy if I don't finish what I start. It's just something that has to be put on the back-burner for now.

tl;dr.........going on a temporary SWF hiatus for school and hopefully work should I find some. Will try to do tourneys on the side should there be time but really won't be here too much since this easily sidetracks me from school stuffs. PM me if you wanna chat or something. I'll be lurking from time to time but that's it. STAY GOLD FRIENDS!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
good luck with this semester Ed. i know what its like to have a busy semester and even though i didn't have a full time job as well all the extra stuff i was doing felt like i had a couple of part time jobs that added up to a full time one.....lol

don't stress yourself too bad. i know i'll just look forward to your summer guide :D

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So I just had my first tournament for 2012. Got 9th out of 28... was probably one of my better placements so far, though I've gotten 9th before, but it was with less people. I do think I got lucky with this one. I did enjoy meeting and playing some new people, as this was a different region in Texas, one that I don't visit too often (cause it's a looong drive from Houston lol).

My first opponent was a Marth main, which I won 2-0. Don't know what else to say about this. Other than Broly, I haven't really had trouble with Marths in awhile.

Second opponent was ALSM, who went Diddy on me. Both games were retardedly close but he beat me both games. The matches were very good though, and yes, they did get saved. Just waiting on them to get uploaded. If I lose to another Diddy in tourney (other than Gnes, which is understandable), I will eat my controller.

In loser's bracket, had to fight my way up by starting out with an Olimar main. My initial thought was that my tournament would end right there. However I had played against that guy in doubles and got an idea of how he played. Not to mention, Olimar, as much as I hate the matchup, is one of my most known high tier matchups, simply because I put a lot of work and effort into learning the dreadful matchup, and my bf gave me some Olimar practice as well. Anyway, I beat the guy, 2-0.

Next person was an Ice Climbers/Snake main. I was very worried, because I had NO Ice Climbers MU experience, even though I knew the general idea of trying not to get grabbed. I beat his Ice Climbers game 1, but I got incredibly lucky. He would have 3-stocked me for sure. Two of my deaths were chain grab deaths, one because I made the mistake of using Nayru's Love on the ground (very dumb idea, never do this people). And my second death was because I aimed for the ledge when recovering, but for some reason, she went to the stage, which basically means = free grab. With me being on my last stock and him still having three, I felt like this would be over for sure.

Yet the Goddess Nayru would not allow it. I managed to kill him on his first stock, since he was in killing percents. On his second stock, I pulled a sweet spot down air spike at like 50 out of nowhere, and evened out our stocks. I don't even remember what happened last stock because it all went in a blur, but I beat him. I was so surprised by this that I wasn't even paying attention when he switched to Snake on me on game 2. When the match started, I could feel relief taking over me. If he had stayed Ice Climbers, I feel like he could have beaten me for sure, lucky flukes of mine aside. Another reason I was relieved was because I knew the Snake MU, even if it was hard. Compared to Ice Climbers, I felt a lot more confident, and made a lot of reads and punishes, and 2 stocked him. 2-0. My luckiest set ever lol.

My last opponent in loser's definitely made me think twice before having me think I would get away with an Ice Climbers losing to me. This was Smoom, our region's best Ice Climbers. Very nice guy too but anyway. At this point, I already knew it'd be over. I wouldn't get lucky again. And so, that concluded with me getting 2-stocked both games. The crowd of people watching us from behind was very distracting xD I was a little nervous too, one of the reasons I got grabbed was from a badly spaced down tilt (be careful with this move guys, her down tilt is not that safe against ICs), and I think another grab was recovery related. Oh and I somehow lost my jump in one of our matches at really early percents, which sucked.

Overall though, I did alright, though I still feel like I got lucky xD Also made me open my eyes more to new threats for me to be aware against, mainly Ice Climbers. I also feel like with MK gone, these characters will be more prominent (along with Olis <.<). But yeah, fun tourney, and enjoyed meeting some people not from my city. ^_^

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Good luck, Ed! No worries, SWF will be here when you get back. :)

& sounds like you put in work at that tourney Mocha, good ****.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
good luck Ed! we'll do what we can to keep everything going here

@Mocha, nice job with that tourney, seems like you finally broke that SD's thing, keep it like that!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Generic post #17:
Good luck ScaryLB/Ed! Hope to see more of your amazing Zelda soon!!
And Mocha, amazing job. I really want to test my Zelda in tournament, but I'm so rusty with her now...

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Thanks! Yeah I've actually been rusty with her too. Haven't played Brawl much lately, though for some people, taking small breaks helps them play better when they do play, so that their minds are fresh. For others though, the lack of practice gets them very rusty. One of the things that affects me if I don't play for awhile is recovering with Zelda.

It'd be cool to see your Zelda be represented! And if you have any vids or if you get some in the future, post them up! :D

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh I thought it was a nice name just because the word seemed different and had a French feel to it... and I deal with many couriers at my workplace :p

Top Bottom