• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

AstroCRiS

Smash Cadet
Need help dealing with sword characters. Esspecially when the stuff me when I approach in the air. I will post videos of me getting wrecked later but for now I could use some tips.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Is down-smash a good way to punish the roll getup option?

If so how should i punish after the stunned animation is done? Since i find myself trying to down-B and get a spike...

Charging down smash at the ledge tends to be 50/50 if your going to punish the roll on stage option imo (sometimes your not facing the right way , misstime it ect) ,when I tend to charge it I am aiming for the just get up which I believe should be somewhat easy for us(despite me continuously letting go to early because of being "trigger happy" miss timing the invincibility frames).

HOWEVER I did reset a tournament gf bracket with a downsmash to flip jump kick spike on #1 in my region so there's that :p.

Nogarr

Smash Rookie
I've noticed alot of players tend to give zss the ledge for free by dashing back does she have any super strong ledge options or are players just scared of her?

AstroCRiS

Smash Cadet
A bit of both. See a good zss player is incredibly hard to edge guard unless you're pikachu or maybe sheik but even then it's still difficult to guard her with all the tools she has. Tether lets you snap to the edge quickly, stall, or cancel into a flip kick, which btw is invincible if you are quick enough (most people aren't unless they see it coming). Plus a mistimed edge guard to end with the tables turning every quickly, via a mistimed ledge trump, or going to far and eating a surprise flip kick, bair, or boost kick to the face. Best thing to do if you aren't confident in your edge guarding is to wait until they grab the ledge and react to their get up option.
well thats my 10 cents on this topic.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Is there a video guide/tutorial to watch for this character? I can read about the character, but I learn better by watching and hearing things explained.

Also, anyone have tips on how to not turn to spaghetti on hit confirms? Especially after getting the flip jump burial thing...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sounds like you need to practice your follow ups from the flip burial. Possibly in training mode.
If you aren't 200% confident there, how could you be even remotely confident otherwise? :)

Reizilla

Well part of the problem is that I'm not exactly sure what the best followups are. Another part is that I don't have access to much training since I don't have a Wii U, and it happens so infrequently in friendlies that I kind of panic when it actually goes through and then the spaghetti happens and I just try to Boost Kick no matter the percent, and then I do it too soon or I just panic and Jab. Same kind of goes for charge shot, but I'm a little better with that. Other things I'm mostly good with.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Up Smash is tried and true and easy.
Secret pivot ftilt hax will hit people out of it from a certain percent (don't do this unless you're a master of pivot ftilt hacks with any of the hittingbehindyouftilts)
Or I just nair, because less knock back = likelyhood of it comboing into something sweet. Oh and it's low to the ground so maybe you'll landing sync it and then have 5000 frames to hit them in.

Last edited:

Reizilla

This might be more of a general question, but what's the (invincibility) frame data on ZSS' ledge options? I know you fewer frames on ledge with higher damage, but does that affect regular get up/roll/attack/jump too?

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Up Smash is tried and true and easy.
Secret pivot ftilt hax will hit people out of it from a certain percent (don't do this unless you're a master of pivot ftilt hacks with any of the hittingbehindyouftilts)
Or I just nair, because less knock back = likelyhood of it comboing into something sweet. Oh and it's low to the ground so maybe you'll landing sync it and then have 5000 frames to hit them in.
I just Usmash when they aren't at kill %. Boost kick holding back if they are at death %. Those make up about 98% of my burials and I tend to get quite a lot out of them.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Three questions:
1) Do RC grabs still exist? I remember that being a thing people discussed a lot early in the meta, but I can't seem to pull it off. Can you still cancel a roll into a grab, or did that get patched?

2) What's the best way to land the final hit of an aerial Boost Kick out of uair? I try a lot, but my opponent can usually SDI up to get out of it, even if I get the initial hit with the high fixed knockback.

3) Is there ever a time when I want to use the initial hit only of Up-B? Roy can sometimes kill a really light character (read: Jiggs at the top platform of BF with lots of rage) at any% with the fixed knockback portion of his up-B, can ZSS do the same?

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
Now for me I usually short hop fast fall with the a button for the majority of projectiles in the game, but I would love to know any specific character match-ups or just other ways to deal with projectiles in general...

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
Iv'e just decided today to pick up ZSS and I have one question. I know a lot of characters have combos that only work on fast fallers and my question is does zss?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Three questions:
1) Do RC grabs still exist? I remember that being a thing people discussed a lot early in the meta, but I can't seem to pull it off. Can you still cancel a roll into a grab, or did that get patched?

2) What's the best way to land the final hit of an aerial Boost Kick out of uair? I try a lot, but my opponent can usually SDI up to get out of it, even if I get the initial hit with the high fixed knock back.

3) Is there ever a time when I want to use the initial hit only of Up-B? Roy can sometimes kill a really light character (read: Jiggs at the top platform of BF with lots of rage) at any% with the fixed knockback portion of his up-B, can ZSS do the same?
1.Yes they do it's timing.

2Jumping with the second up air generally works depending on % for example down throw -> up air -> DJ while up airing [so that they are about around your height when your actually hit them and your finished your up air ]-> up B

3. we can do that when we have rage OR if we are on stages like delphino where the stage changes and has a low ceiling they go quite high even we zss is below 50 if they DI and slip out of it.

The first hit of her Boost kick has very good upwards knockback so depending on things like char , stage their % and rage it's all very possible to get early stocks or close up stocks without even needing to hit the last hit of up b.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I played about 7 ZS last weekend at an event. They all at some point would trump me using the tether trump. Is that better than a regular trump?

BiggieLong

Smash Rookie
How can I improve my neutral game with zero suit? I know I'm supposed to short hop nair to approach and use jab or ftilt up close but is that all there is to it?

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
I think it should be based on your opponent, for example like Little Mac: his jabs are faster and he can counter your short hop nair if you show it enough, so instead you would have to make him approach and punish.

While those are certainly good neutral options you should think about what your opponent can do out of your neutral options...

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I played about 7 ZS last weekend at an event. They all at some point would trump me using the tether trump. Is that better than a regular trump?
Yeah, it has a bunch of advantages. While many characters can set up for quick ledge grabs by teetering on the edge and doing quick turnaround falls and such, she just needs to run up and press side B then up, ASAP. So it's just easier for her to time, overall. Frame-data wise, there's nothing special about her snapping to the ledge first, but she (and all other tether characters) can release the edge immediately. All other characters are forced to hold the edge for about 20 frames or so? I don't have the exact figure. This allows for some guaranteed follow ups even if you buffer your getup option.

s0cks

Smash Rookie
NNID
SakamotoTomoe
Hi, I'm not sure if someone already asked this but I'm having trouble doing the Up Air Up Air to Up B combo. Is it my spacing or what? Also I can't seem to do the DSmash to Down B spike or the BThrow to Down B spike. Any tips would be appreciated.

BiggieLong

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm not sure if someone already asked this but I'm having trouble doing the Up Air Up Air to Up B combo. Is it my spacing or what? Also I can't seem to do the DSmash to Down B spike or the BThrow to Down B spike. Any tips would be appreciated.
The 2 up airs to up b combos works around 45% for me and the Dsmash to DownB combo also works around 45% but you will have to space it. Hope this helps dude :D

ArkGaming

Smash Rookie
I have a quick question I've been playing ZZS now for about 2 weeks and I thought I was pretty good but then I got on for glory and got destroyed any tips to help practice?

Jusus

Smash Rookie
NewSo i practiced fox trot canceling with Captain Falcon and Marth and was able to learn how to 100% perform it by moving my control stick to a set BPM a little while back. Now that I am a definite ZSS main, i can't seem to get the timing for her specific fox trot cancel. If anyone could lend a helping hand by uploading a sound file to a set BPM or give me any advice; that would be greatly appreciated. :D

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I'm too lazy

what do

NewSo i practiced fox trot canceling with Captain Falcon and Marth and was able to learn how to 100% perform it by moving my control stick to a set BPM a little while back. Now that I am a definite ZSS main, i can't seem to get the timing for her specific fox trot cancel. If anyone could lend a helping hand by uploading a sound file to a set BPM or give me any advice; that would be greatly appreciated. :D
It's pretty delayed compared to other characters because her dash is so long. Flick your stick like crazy and observe when you cancel it, then adjust your timing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does ZSS get any combos or useful strings out of a successful D-Tilt? If so, at about what percent?

Jezo

Smash Cadet
How true is her up air strings to up B? Literally just picked her up this second and seems difficult to connect?

Edit: never mind, I got it. More hitstun on her down throw than I thought

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Does ZSS get any combos or useful strings out of a successful D-Tilt? If so, at about what percent?
It's a bit too laggy for the most part but it's angle sets up for dash fairs, flip jumps and my preference (as it covers dodges well) is dash jump paralyzer.

Tipper hit is a sour spot so it'll last for longer.
I think you're looking at a maximum of around 80% for things to be relatively possible, on the sour hit.

I'd take other nerfs for a buffed down tilt end frame #_#

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Using Sheik's weight as dummy values (cause... Sheik), the hitstun at 0% lasts for 32 frames. This means she comes out of a successful hit at +4 (I believe positive values means you have the advantage). So if the foe is close enough, you could jab, utilt, or boost kick... pending knockback distance and angle.

At 39% the hitstun goes up to 42 frames, yielding an advantage of +14. This allows for a perfect rising nair (pending angles and distance). If aerial adjustment is needed, of if it needs to be a falling nair, then if half her short hop time is assumed to be needed that'd be an additional 19 frames or so. Sheik would need to be at 113% for that to be true (33 frames of advantage).

Notably, at 89% the hitstun gets to 55 frames, yielding the exact time necessary to execute flip kick: +27 frames. Note: this is broken into to parts. The flip does not seem to allow input until frame 18, after which the kick appears on frame 9. If a jump and any movement is needed to adjust the flip kick angle, at least 5 more frames (4 jump squat, 1 movement) are needed to do that, upping the percent barrier to 109%.

Unfortunately, dtilt yields a -28 frame disadvantage when it hits shield.

So... uhh. That's intense. I think dsmash is -12, and the reward is much higher. However, to the credit of this move, here's the advantage I see: it's less telegraphed. If I down throw someone at low percent and threaten the b&b combo, but instead fast fall to anticipate the air dodge... a long charge on dsmash (20 frames) will give bigger hints to my foe than the startup of dtilt (8 frames).

That's what I have on a 15 minute break from writing. Enjoy!

axmay

Smash Rookie
Hey guys new zss here, just looking for a list of basic followups off moves like nair and dthrow, anything out there?

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys new zss here, just looking for a list of basic followups off moves like nair and dthrow, anything out there?
Good question... With the amount of followups this character has I feel like there should be a thread with all known followups linked to the directory thread (http://smashboards.com/threads/boar...boards-thread-directory.387661/#post-20097457)

But to answer the question here are some with rough percentages:

*upair > upair (repeat) > upB - usually low-mid % (i'm putting this first because i will reference it later, as "upair string")

*nair > grab - low% (but not usually 0% i think)
*nair > RAR bair - mid to mid-high %
nair > flipkick - ~50%... you can find a thread with a list of percents somewhere around here
nair > upair string - mid % (50-ish)

*zair > grab - works at just about any percent because of set knockback, although maybe not at ~0% iirc

*dthrow > fair - low to mid-high %
*dthrow > upair - pretty much any % below super-high (watch for opponent's DI)
dthrow > turnaround bair - high-ish %... this is kinda difficult and has strict timing
dthrow > upB - jk don't do that

(*)bthrow > flipkick - mid to mid-high % (if your opponent knows how to DI at all this won't work)
- best for closing out a stock when you're mad at your friend or FG opponent... :shades: otherwise I feel bad killing with this lol

dsmash > anything...
• easiest is to immediately fsmash or upB
• bit more difficult is to run forward > jump > bair/upB (to maximize total knockback)
*if they are gonna fly offstage, then run away > immediately turnaround flipjump (toward them) > kick
you can find some videos explaining that in better detail

upair combos into itself or you can end the combo with a bair

bair can sometimes combo into grab at low % and occasionally flipkick at mid % but that's less common

oh and dair can link into bair (or fair) as a mixup... not that you should be using dair much

Well yeah that was way more then I meant to write, sorry... I'll put * next to the ones I think are most important to know

Last edited:

ampatron

Smash Rookie
NNID
ampatron
Hi, I have a question about extended dash dancing in the neutral.

I've been playing around with it in training mode and don't really see the advantage when compared to simply fox trotting back and forth. Just doing a foxtrots seems to have more distance and be much easier to do, and the time I have to wait before dashing the other way doesn't really seem that big if I time the foxtrots right. Are there any situations where EDD would be better than foxtrots?

So far the only use of EDD that I've seen is an occasional mixup/fakeout so I can come forward and do something while initially looking like I'm retreating. But I'm wondering about potential situations where it would be better for movement/spacing in the neutral.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I've always wanted to main :4zss:I use to be "Semi-Good" with her. However I all the time acted like a Nario wannabe and try to do spikes with the Down-B. I've always been intrested in ZSS since day one. Are there any tips for playing her effectively?

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
I've always wanted to main :4zss:I use to be "Semi-Good" with her. However I all the time acted like a Nario wannabe and try to do spikes with the Down-B. I've always been intrested in ZSS since day one. Are there any tips for playing her effectively?
If you narrow this down a bit we can probably supply a better answer. This is essentially just asking 'how do zss?' which is a pretty broad topic. Until then, same advice as learning any new character. Learn their options, approaches, setups, etc.

Top Bottom