• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Can I get some suggestions for a character to use for those smaller character match ups ?

I'm getting real sick and tired of the ammount of precision required for things like ness and lucas.

/a slightly salty zss.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Corrin wrecks the PK kids. Does well against Pikachu too. Not sure about Kirby, might have trouble off stage, but no one plays him anyway. She can cover Cloud too if that's a tough matchup (was for me.)

TwizzyBomb

Smash Rookie
Ive been working on a pocket mario strictly because my zss does so bad vs Pikachu (and other *******) and cloud. Mario does well vs cloud because if you can fludd his recovery he's screwed. Mario does well against pika and short characters because his jab actually hits, cape can reflect t.jolt and *invincible upsmash removes all of Pikachus Ariel approach options. He also has down throw to double up air to up b, a bread and butter combo for zss

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
How has nair changed for combo percents into grab, fair, bair and flip kick since the patch? Been testing on my own but I'm trying to get a more comprehensive/accurate result.

chris1855

Smash Cadet
NNID
mario1855
How has nair changed for combo percents into grab, fair, bair and flip kick since the patch? Been testing on my own but I'm trying to get a more comprehensive/accurate result.
my guide has some percents (not 100% accurate)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
When does Flip Jump auto snap and not auto snap if you have your back to the ledge?
There is a big window in the middle part of the move that will snap unless you hold away from the ledge.

Question:

Does the neutral b jab lock work at any percents or is there a window to do it? (The one where you hit them off a platform with the first neutral b, then neutral b again when they hit the ground to force a get up)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, the hitboxes are cut between the two, so unless there's some sort of special command, they should be seen as two separate hits.

I'd guess the only way is falling through someone on a platform directly through the center of them.
But haven't had much luck.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
There's 4 frames separating the two hits, so I'm going to guess that slamming someone on a wall and getting the second hit is out, since I'd guess that the bounce animation and travel time would exceed that. Maybe in doubles? Nair while moving left or right as hard as possible and have your partner footstool them.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
All I can come up with is hit Rosa with one and Luma with the other (still counts, right?) or like...
Maybe in doubles if your partner Witch Times them?

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Is there a general rule of thumb of when down throw to uair true combos and when they can air dodge out? It is character and rage dependant? Because I've failed to notice the pattern so far. Sometimes it works at lower percents for instance and other times it doesn't.

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
This is gonna sound Noobish, but how/where should I go to learn about Zero Suit Samus for 1.1.6? I've seen guides, but they seem outdated nor explain her in detail. I am considering using Samus as a secondary, but am having trouble using her short hops to approach (it's much different from Peach's), using her upAir combos, and connecting her other combos, and getting the kill.

J_the_Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J_the_Man24
This is gonna sound Noobish, but how/where should I go to learn about Zero Suit Samus for 1.1.6? I've seen guides, but they seem outdated nor explain her in detail. I am considering using Samus as a secondary, but am having trouble using her short hops to approach (it's much different from Peach's), using her upAir combos, and connecting her other combos, and getting the kill.
Even though it was made before patch 1.1.5, Take 5's guide hands down IMO is still the best guide for learning ZSS.
Much of it is still relevant. Most of what's changed is what percentages things work since rage now affects your down throw.

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
Even though it was made before patch 1.1.5, Take 5's guide hands down IMO is still the best guide for learning ZSS.
Much of it is still relevant. Most of what's changed is what percentages things work since rage now affects your down throw.
Wow, thank you. This guide and the others were perfect!

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Rage affects all moves, even set knockback. Roy's initial hit up-B kills at a lower altitude when he's at 150% than when he's at 0%.

Last edited:

SkaConut

Smash Rookie
I've got my combos down pretty well, but I'm terrible at getting them set up. Apparently I'm a noob and get thrashed and don't have a chance to get anything off. Any tips for neutral game/footsies? This is where I'm most habitual...

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I've got my combos down pretty well, but I'm terrible at getting them set up. Apparently I'm a noob and get thrashed and don't have a chance to get anything off. Any tips for neutral game/footsies? This is where I'm most habitual...
Be careful when you go for the grab. Getting punished is almost a certainty.

Zair is your friend in footsies. Side-B isn't too bad either, though it's more situational. Dash attack is a pretty decent move, though you want to go for either the early hit or the late hit, depending on how much you expect the shield.

SkaConut

Smash Rookie
Be careful when you go for the grab. Getting punished is almost a certainty.

Zair is your friend in footsies. Side-B isn't too bad either, though it's more situational. Dash attack is a pretty decent move, though you want to go for either the early hit or the late hit, depending on how much you expect the shield.

So set up grab w neutralB. What other good set ups are there? I've never gotten zair to work well for me. What's the idea behind it?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
So set up grab w neutralB. What other good set ups are there? I've never gotten zair to work well for me. What's the idea behind it?
Well, I'm not a very good Zero Suit (she's actually one of my secondaries, and ZSS is probably a character you should main if you play at all), but my advice is to go light on the neutral-Bs except at long range (where they can basically be shielded on reaction). I mostly try to get a read for my grab.

Zair is not a damage tool, it's a pressure/bait tool. Hitting isn't that important, as it's a small amount of damage (6%, maybe?), insignificant when compared to her bread and butter hoo-hahs and Nairo combos. Also, you can sometimes use it to finish an aerial string, depending on positioning.

Looking at Nairo play, a lot of what he does in neutral involves fair and nair. Maybe you should go for that?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Because I main Samus, I've been interested in improving on using Zamus. I've kind of dropped her, simply because I didn't feel like she was the right character for me, so I switched to Mario. However, Mario feels rather basic, while Zamus feels like you have to be technical with her. Although I would like to use her, I feel like I have to play how professionals use her. There are times where I'll use Zamus' Forward-B. I honestly don't see any Zamus players use this, but maybe my view is based on Nairo's play style. Is it wrong to use Forward-B? I feel rather ashamed of using it because of my concern with professionalism.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's safe at it's max range on shield against the entire cast. It's one of those options that are okay but often zair or paralyzer would feel like the smarter (or if successful) more rewarding choice.
I personally think it fills a niche of being more active frames as an anti-air over zair/paralyzer, and can be a nice alternative landing option for you.

It's also a nice mix up for trying to get people to move more if they're prone to holding shield a lot and waiting for you to do something. Move around max range (this is kinda optimal in play style anyway for mid-range) and whip it out (pun-intended). They can't just keep shielding it forever.

Dr. Styles

Smash Rookie
May I just have some over all tips on becoming a brand new main. I've always played Samus (not Zero Suit), and I'd really like to play her higher tier form lol ^-^

Last edited:

MrFYB

Smash Rookie
When I flip kick with Samus how do I make my kick hit with the outside if her foot. ___=stage
\ ____ but what I want is this: /___

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
When I flip kick with Samus how do I make my kick hit with the outside if her foot. ___=stage
\ ____ but what I want is this: /___
Don't flick the C-stick to kick. With the stick, the direction you kick is entirely dependent on how far along the animation is. With main stick + A, you can choose whether to kick left or right.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Because I main Samus, I've been interested in improving on using Zamus. I've kind of dropped her, simply because I didn't feel like she was the right character for me, so I switched to Mario. However, Mario feels rather basic, while Zamus feels like you have to be technical with her. Although I would like to use her, I feel like I have to play how professionals use her. There are times where I'll use Zamus' Forward-B. I honestly don't see any Zamus players use this, but maybe my view is based on Nairo's play style. Is it wrong to use Forward-B? I feel rather ashamed of using it because of my concern with professionalism.
the move is good in the right situations. for example, the european player Quik uses it more than any other ZSS (at least according to commentators). I have seen him use it very effectively against characters whose recoveries don't snap the ledge well. He destroyed a cloud by spamming this move at the ledge. It is an effective gimping tool when used correctly. Do not be ashamed to use certain moves. Develop your own style,and it might turn out to be effective.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
the move is good in the right situations. for example, the european player Quik uses it more than any other ZSS (at least according to commentators). I have seen him use it very effectively against characters whose recoveries don't snap the ledge well. He destroyed a cloud by spamming this move at the ledge. It is an effective gimping tool when used correctly. Do not be ashamed to use certain moves. Develop your own style,and it might turn out to be effective.
Thanks for the input. I'll try to get over the mindset of feeling ashamed.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I actually use her side b alot as well.
Been tinkering trying to incorporate it's uses into my play style.

Although that tends to include me doing a bunch of wave bounce side bs trying to get them to drop their shield.

I've also gotten a few kills or gkmps from the running off side b we can do vs someveryone characters.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Illusions

Smash Cadet
NNID
minnievanilly
3DS FC
0345-0482-7374
So this might be a stupid question, but how do you recover? I know how to recover at least to some extent, but for some weird reason I have failed at even the easiest of recoveries at times. I don't know if it's just due to me being a little stiff with my hands or something but it's really frustrating.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
So this might be a stupid question, but how do you recover? I know how to recover at least to some extent, but for some weird reason I have failed at even the easiest of recoveries at times. I don't know if it's just due to me being a little stiff with my hands or something but it's really frustrating.
combat experience and practice will help with that.

i used to just tether with her in brawl for the longest time or flip jump i guess.
Now years later I am doing stuff like tether cancel flip jump
tether cancel retether
wall jump tethers
down b wall jumps to wall jump up b's
ect ect. You just need to be at it for a while.

Guys I have wondering. Whats the viability of totally denying opponents the neutral game, I started getting really tilted from losing sets or games to characters that straight up feel like they don't even have to try in the neutral game.

I am kinda just feeling like making everyone work for every hit grab and kill by just being a complete prick and camping/ not even engaging in the neut game.

I kinda figure the longer I am not dead The better chance for me to just shut them out or steal the game from under their nose.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I've been playing this character for a few months...
How long does it take to be at least well versed with ZSS? Seriously, it just doesn’t seen to be natural. She's just so light. I feel like if I double jump I'll go flying off into the upper blastzones. Even short hopping becomes a nightmare to pull off. Any advice?

Illusions

Smash Cadet
NNID
minnievanilly
3DS FC
0345-0482-7374
How can I implement SHFF nairs in my play? I know how to do them (not consistently, though, I think the Wii U gamepad is not the best tool for that). Spontaneous usage of them during a match is a hard concept for me to grasp, yet basically every pro player uses them to approach.

Altogether, the lack of a good approaching tactic with ZSS is what forces me to play rather defensively, whereas the majority of ZSS players that I have seen are on the offensive.

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
hey guys quick question. When an opponent DI's IN a Bthrow (probably from an attempt to DI AWAY a Dthrow) how guaranteed/ viable is Bair, and in what percent range? I've heard different things, and I just want to confirm.

EDIT: Actually I have another question as well. I was thinking about the spinning untechable tumble animatino above 100%, and how ZSS can use it. Does 1st hit of Fair work as a viable set up for that? I would assume that the 1st hit's low knockback, good tumble animation %, and ability to follow up with uncharged paralyzer jab lock would be an awesome setup.

EDIT 2: I got another question. I know that ZSS can force a slide off tumble from platforms with paralyzer, but would it work on neutral get ups from a normal ledge? I was thinking if you catch someone's neutral getup, then time a down B for when they slide off the ledge, you can get easy early spikes. Does this work, or do they come onto the stage too much to be slid off?

Last edited:
Top Bottom