• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

What's up ZSS mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I remember Snakeee could plank so well with downB lol. But that shouldn't really work.

The stage is like a small blessing but mainly a curse. If we control the main platform, we can apply a great deal of pressure. However, if we do not control the main platform, our ****ty landing game/shield gets *****.

Besides that, our Dsmash doesn't really work here. SideB neither. Sucks a lot.
We also can't really abuse our grab release game.

However, the major upside is that our recovery is god here (but who's isn't, really? lol).

I'm not THAT experienced with the stage (played maybe a good day of friendlies), but I don't like it, really.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
i remember snakeee could plank so well with downb lol. But that shouldn't really work.

The stage is like a small blessing but mainly a curse. If we control the main platform, we can apply a great deal of pressure. However, if we do not control the main platform, our ****ty landing game/shield gets *****.

Besides that, our dsmash doesn't really work here. Sideb neither. Sucks a lot.
We also can't really abuse our grab release game.

However, the major upside is that our recovery is god here (but who's isn't, really? Lol).

I'm not that experienced with the stage (played maybe a good day of friendlies), but i don't like it, really.
that's her stage how can she not do well there????

1. Norfair is located in Planet Zebes aka Space Pirate territory aka Crocomire's house. D:

2. ZSS has no Varia suit to protect her from the volcanic heat. D: D: D:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
For future reference, our sideB works fine here. It only doesn't work when we're "outside" the stage, AKA on the sides with ledges. If we're "inside" the stage, there's no ledges to disrupt our sideB (at least, that's from what I remember). Our dsmash goes through the ground and leads to some very easy control of the main platform. Tall characters, or characters who like to jump, if they get dsmash'd from above the platform, we can run off the platform and bair them instantaneously, and we're now in control of the center and possibly about to kill the opponent.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
The layout benefits us, in a sense. Lots of ledges means our chances of getting gimped are reduced drastically. The platform positions are good for pressuring from underneath, and we can do that pretty decently. If an opponent with a good aerial game is under us though, we have many ways of evading his juggling game thanks to the many ledges, platforms and how they're all arranged.
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
I don't have enough experience with the stage and matchup combinations to really put out an honest answer here, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's not a half bad stage for her. Lots of characters hate the layout, but I see it working for ZSS just fine. Her mid/long-range moves and tether recovery help her out a lot here.
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
I'd say controlling the center-ish area. By center-ish, I mean whatever's closer to the center than your opponent. She has a strong juggling game, if an opponent is above her he's generally at a very disadvantageous position. Considering the ways to kick someone out from the center of the stage are pretty predictable (go from above or from the ledge, basically), it's easy to figure out where they're coming from and punish them accordingly. If yoey're not approaching, we can hit them from a good distance away without risking ourselves.
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?
From what I can tell, it's mostly good. Not enough experience against enough players to form a good opinion though, since it's banned everywhere and no one tends to like playing there. I'd give it a shot as ZSS though, doesn't look like a bad stage for her.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
^ So yes. lol.
when he drops and C4 recovery's... does anyone else find it good to Down B and have him C4 into it. depending on the percents, it can kill relitively easy.
Or does anyone go for the foot stool?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
go for the footstool, down b's footstool range is huge and requires no timing, and the footstool will get you back to the edge while going for the spike is way risky

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Dash attack if you're at percents where it will combo into other stuff, if not just dtilt probably. Ftilt trip is not fast enough to combo into dsmash unfortunately

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Maybe this is just a 2008 myth i have yet to test but cant you dSmash after a Ftilt trip if you buffer?
No, you can't :(
I've tested it before and your opponent can get away just before the dsmash hits. It would be cool if it did work though...

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
If I want to do a running Neutral B with Zero Suit Samus, should I just let go of the the control stick while running and press B, or should I spot dodge then use Neutral B?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Let go of the control stick and do it. You should never use paralyzer after a spot dodge lol

Mercurium

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to avoid accidental aerials while trying to throw suit pieces? It's happened to me a few times and I was a bit confused as to how it happened, but anyway, does anybody know?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Down B is amazing! If you spike them offstage I'd actually try to footstool them when they double jumped. Against against characters like Snake just grab the ledge then flip stool him when he's forced to blow himself up.

Infinite is right. It happens when you buffer an aerial out of certain moves. ZSS doesn't have any specials that allow you to buffer aerials afterwards, only her Uair After Uair you can use any of her other aerials one time, but you can do an infinte number of Uairs. If you want to avoid Dairing instead of down throwing your items pick it up with a Bair, Nair, or Fair instead of Uair. Also, if you buffer a Z drop after picking up an item with a Uair you'll air dodge and drop it rather than just Z dropping it.

Oh and if you do a special, air dodge, aerial, or item throw when near an item WITHOUT picking it up and buffer a Z catch you'll instantly air dodge and drop it.

Edit: I also think I've Dair'd with an item when trying to Dair while in hitstun too.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I've never seen that before. I have seen a similar glitch with TL's grab where his chain is broken and he's in the same place on SV when he grabs...

BioDG

Smash Ace
What should be the general dos and don'ts of Team Bucket gameplay? I know this sounds like a dumb question but I know it can be tough at times to capitalize on the bucket. I'm teaming with a g&w for the first time in tourney, so I wanna make sure I approach it properly. I'm looking around swf and watching vids, but every bit of info I can get counts.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
When GW is filling his bucket... he's invulnerable. Every time that you die, just have him get fully-charged while you're both untouchable.
D-smash > bucket.
Etc, etc.

Top Bottom