• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
most of those are completely escapable. just try SDI, if not, I bet you have plenty of time to attack/roll/standup before the ground lock hit.

also, the only ones that ZSS has is the footstool->d-air stuff, everything else and ZSS will take too long to get back to the ground.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235249
Do we have anything similar to this? Although, I'm still unsure if it was determined escapable. It would be easier for ZSS to set up something like this too because we can footstool out of down smash. Closest thing i can think f is the rob infinite.
We don't have a sex-kick like sheiks weak enough to just lock the bounce. In that sense, it's a no go. Otherwise, Dsmash to Dair like everyone says.... Feel free to look for something new though. ^_^

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks guys.
Now that i think of it, i haven't posted in a while. I lurk too much :)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Hey guys, can I ask you a quick question about ZSS' chaingrab? I know that you have to buffer a dash grab after doing the FThrow, but at what point do you have to buffer the grab in order to do it properly?

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, can I ask you a quick question about ZSS' chaingrab? I know that you have to buffer a dash grab after doing the FThrow, but at what point do you have to buffer the grab in order to do it properly?
make sure you just tap the control stick, don't hold it, you won't buffer the dash properly

also! I just found out some interesting information (at least to me):

there is a misconception about the grab pummel, many think it will only refresh one move no matter how many you do, but this is not true! The grab pummel will count as a single move IF it is done in rapid succession (while the opponent is still in hitstun aka, true combo in training). Therefore, if you just have a slight pause in between your grab pummels, you will refresh more moves!

yaaa, easier to refresh moves on grab released mks... lol

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Is there a thread with in-depth frame data for all of ZSS's attacks? I want to start timing everything perfectly, and a little list would greatly help me with that.

If not, could someone at least help me with downB's frame data? How long a downB lasts from start to finish, which frames does the downB have invincibility frames, at which frame can we start doing the flipkick, at which frame can we start footstooling, how many frames is the flipkick out for.... That kind of in-depth data.

Thanks a lot!

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

Hence

Smash Ace
To clarify, it's actually the last 10 frames of the grab itself, and when you buffer it the next grab will execute as soon as possible
10/16ths of a second is not something I can visualize in smash. I utilize audio patterns for chaingrabs. :laugh:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Does anyone know what the frame data's like for a grab release?

Say I grab and release Falco and it's a ground release. Who can move first? And can you buffer a move?

Falco (Ground):
None - Y - Y

I found this. Apparently we have a guaranteed jab on ground release. So we do have at least a 1 frame advantage. The hitbox for a dash attack comes out on 6, so I guess i just need to know if you can buffer.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Say I grab and release Falco and it's a ground release. Who can move first? And can you buffer a move?
When any character gets a ground release, they suffer from 30 frames of lag. When any character gets a jump release, they suffer 50 frames of lag. When a character releases someone from a grab, they also suffer from 30 frames of lag.

There are 4 exceptions to these rules however.

Bowser only gets 20 frames of lag when releasing people from grabs, so ground releases give him a frame advantage of 10. Jump releases give him a frame advantage of 30.

DK only gets 20 frames of lag when he gets ground released from a grab. So if you grab DK and he breaks out with a ground release, he has a frame advantage of 10.

Ness and Lucas suffer from an extra 10 frames of lag when they are ground released. That means that every character in the game has a 10 frame advantage over Ness and Lucas when you ground release them. Bowser has a 20 frame advantage.

And you don't have a real frame advantage over Falco. The only reason why her Jab can hit Falco out of a grab release is because her jab is frame 1. Falco doesn't have any action that comes out that fast, since shielding, spot dodging, and jabbing comes out on frame 2. The only thing that comes out in one frame is a taunt. Taunts come out on frame 1.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
When any character gets a ground release, they suffer from 30 frames of lag. When any character gets a jump release, they suffer 50 frames of lag. When a character releases someone from a grab, they also suffer from 30 frames of lag.

There are 4 exceptions to these rules however.

Bowser only gets 20 frames of lag when releasing people from grabs, so ground releases give him a frame advantage of 10. Jump releases give him a frame advantage of 30.

DK only gets 20 frames of lag when he gets ground released from a grab. So if you grab DK and he breaks out with a ground release, he has a frame advantage of 10.

Ness and Lucas suffer from an extra 10 frames of lag when they are ground released. That means that every character in the game has a 10 frame advantage over Ness and Lucas when you ground release them. Bowser has a 20 frame advantage.

And you don't have a real frame advantage over Falco. The only reason why her Jab can hit Falco out of a grab release is because her jab is frame 1. Falco doesn't have any action that comes out that fast, since shielding and spot dodging comes out on frame 2. The only thing that comes out in one frame is a taunt. (taunt startups are instantaneous.)
Thanks for the info. Well there went that idea.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Well, since she has a frame 1 jab, that usually allows her to jab most of the cast out of a grab release. That's because very few characters actually have a frame 1 move of their own to counter it. The only characters that can avoid it are...

Bowser: UpB invincibility comes out on frame 1.

Jigglypuff: Rest invincibility comes out on frame 1.

Squirtle: He has a frame 1 jab just like you.

ZSS: You can clank jabs.

I think Fox and Wolf can avoid it with their Reflectors, but idk.

IxxI

Smash Fence
What are some uses for up smash?
Right now, I have only been using it to punish air dodges on people coming down.

Edit: Also, what's the learning curve on Zero Suit Samus' based on people who have used for quite some time. I origianlly played Snake, and I heard that Zero Suit Samus is very mindgamey. I've seen how she played and I found it really cool how she is just all over the stage, and Snake got extremely boring, so here I am.

Hence

Smash Ace
U-Smash can act as a vertical shield or priority wall above you, beating out every D-Air in the game. It can also be useful when an opponent ledge jumps. If you know they're going to attack, and don't want to risk taking damage, U-Smash. U-Smash is also kinda useful against Wario, Jigglypuff, and Peach. Or anyone with a lot of aerial mobility that ZSS could discourage.

D-Throw to U-Smash works if you can predict their DI.

It's uses are really limited because there are better options than U-Smash is most cases.

sasook

Smash Champion
The only thing that comes out in one frame is a taunt. Taunts come out on frame 1.
Lol, I found this too pro, for some reason. This statement's just made of win.

Also, ZSS's learning curve is hefty, to say the least, IxxI.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Hey, is there any kind of Brawl+ forums?

Normal brawl is so boring to me now. I mean ya'll been playing it for months going to tourneys all the time and y'all dont feel nothing yet? I just had to move on to something new

Anyway, I quit for a long time and my friend made me play brawl+, IT'S SO FUN! ZSS is awsome in that game. she's just so fast if u use her right...And the best part is that all the scrub combos that people thought used to work back in the day w/o mindgames like full jab(they cant block the 3rd hit)>dash>dtilt>fair>side b.

and her fox trot is way better since it can be canceled mid-stride which makes for great mindgames.

Brawl+ is just like a new game because everyone's attacks work differently, and it's WAAAY more balenced. like a great example is charizard (u can play as just one pokemon now). he's probably top 4 imo in brawl+ since they gave him MK-like priority and all his aerials autocancel. His grab range is longer than DDD's. his fair range is probably just as long as ZSS' side b. he cant be edgeguarded because all he has to do is fair to get people off him. But it balences out (at least against ZSS) because she's way faster than him.

hmm, so I guess I just turned my question into a premotion for brawl+. oh well.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick

Normal brawl is so boring to me now. I mean ya'll been playing it for months going to tourneys all the time and y'all dont feel nothing yet? I just had to move on to something new

Anyway, I quit for a long time and my friend made me play brawl+, IT'S SO FUN! ZSS is awsome in that game. she's just so fast if u use her right...And the best part is that all the scrub combos that people thought used to work back in the day w/o mindgames like full jab(they cant block the 3rd hit)>dash>dtilt>fair>side b.

and her fox trot is way better since it can be canceled mid-stride which makes for great mindgames.

Brawl+ is just like a new game because everyone's attacks work differently, and it's WAAAY more balenced. like a great example is charizard (u can play as just one pokemon now). he's probably top 4 imo in brawl+ since they gave him MK-like priority and all his aerials autocancel. His grab range is longer than DDD's. his fair range is probably just as long as ZSS' side b. he cant be edgeguarded because all he has to do is fair to get people off him. But it balences out (at least against ZSS) because she's way faster than him.

I believe the Brawl+ section is in General or Tactical discussion.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
general brawl discussion has the brawl plusery forum. I was wondering where you went spec, well we've been discovering some stuff since the last time I've seen you here.

noradseven

Smash Lord

Seriously if you like brawl+ play a combo fighter, good current picks are Guilty Gear Accent Core(Wii+PS2), coming up soon are TvC(for Wii), Melty blood:Actress Again (PS2), and Blazblue(360,PS3). There are other good ones too.

Brawl+ is following the its fair cause everything is broke as **** balancing system, well known in HnK, and FUC. While its fun for goofing off in I have always found it to be a bit silly tournment style.

If you want to get into these fighters I would suggest Shoryuken.com, or Dustloop.com

sasook

Smash Champion
You could take Snake to RC as well, in theory. I find that the learning curve on how to actually play there as ZSS is somewhat significant though. Come to think of it, I'm gonna go ask Snakeee right now.

Hence

Smash Ace
Snake controls the ship portion of RC really well. I prefer Brinstar, but that's just me.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Snake controls the ship portion of RC really well. I prefer Brinstar, but that's just me.
Brinstar for me as well, snake has to high of a chance of lol ganking me on the level.

But what do I care both of those levels are banned where I play.

Ban Yoshi's I always ban yoshi's, except against people like falco or something.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Brawl+ is following the its fair cause everything is broke as **** balancing system, well known in HnK, and FUC. While its fun for goofing off in I have always found it to be a bit silly tournment style.
B+ has the opportunity to be no more or less fair than Melee was. Although I'll agree that the developers are having the problem of thinking fair means making everyone better. B+ didn't need a whole great deal after hitstun was increased, and yet everyone seems to want every character buffed in some way when they don't need it.

Either way, B+'s philosophy is more that everyone should be able to really benefit from a successful hit or grab, thereby putting more balance between offense and defense, where Brawl is much more balanced in favor of the latter, so characters that had to work a lot harder for that one hit couldn't capitalize, making them even worse as characters, and making the game far less balanced. B+ attempts to make it so that the amount of work required to land that first hit is somewhat more proportionate to the reward.

noradseven

Smash Lord
B+ has the opportunity to be no more or less fair than Melee was. Although I'll agree that the developers are having the problem of thinking fair means making everyone better. B+ didn't need a whole great deal after hitstun was increased, and yet everyone seems to want every character buffed in some way when they don't need it.

Either way, B+'s philosophy is more that everyone should be able to really benefit from a successful hit or grab, thereby putting more balance between offense and defense, where Brawl is much more balanced in favor of the latter, so characters that had to work a lot harder for that one hit couldn't capitalize, making them even worse as characters, and making the game far less balanced. B+ attempts to make it so that the amount of work required to land that first hit is somewhat more proportionate to the reward.
Here is a tip the length of the combos has almost no effect on how offensive or defensive a game is, it just makes them go faster, and more entertaining to watch. Adding block stun does though. Pretty much anything that makes attacking safer makes a game more offensive.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
How do I perform the footstool infinite on ROB?

I searched the thread but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for.
Downsmash, footstool, dair, repeat.

It sounds weird until you do it. Basically you ahve to dair ASAP and because of rob's weird footstool animation, you land on the ground with no lag and can immediately dsmash again.

I recommend pivoting after dsmash.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Here is a tip the length of the combos has almost no effect on how offensive or defensive a game is, it just makes them go faster, and more entertaining to watch. Adding block stun does though. Pretty much anything that makes attacking safer makes a game more offensive.
And increasing hitstun also makes offense safer as a follow-up. In Brawl, I can't follow up most moves safely without waiting for my opponent's reaction. In Brawl+ I can.

Top Bottom