• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
I usually do Utilt, Dtilt, Uair OOS. Is Up-B OOS good also? I tried it and sometimes it can connect to Utilt then get your air game going.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Up tilt OOS when not guaranteed can be risky becuase of the afterlag. You should mix things up if another option is possible. Sometimes I even just stand in my shield for a bit when they expect it and use it after stalling like that for a second.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
I usually do Utilt, Dtilt, Uair OOS. Is Up-B OOS good also? I tried it and sometimes it can connect to Utilt then get your air game going.
I havent tried it but up b is really only a useful move if it connects from the tip. plus it has a lot of lag and can be punished easily if not used the right way. but if your opponent is above you in the top range then then it could be useful to do an up b -> usmash or utilt.

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to get off topic, but can someone direct me to a thread discussing which counter-pick stages ZSS should pick?

sasook

Smash Champion
I dunno where, but I remember hearing that PS1 and Lylat are her best stages. BF also isn't bad. My personal favorite is Norfair.

EDIT: Can ZSS bair out of an airdodge? I just thought, in my mind, running towards an opponent, air dodging past them, and doing a bair. It can have similar mindgames to a pivot grab, maybe. Thoughts?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Up tilt OOS when not guaranteed can be risky becuase of the afterlag. You should mix things up if another option is possible. Sometimes I even just stand in my shield for a bit when they expect it and use it after stalling like that for a second.

Yeah but they can't block it during the 3 frames of landing lag.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but they can't block it during the 3 frames of landing lag.
I think he meant utilt on a grounded opponent. Utilt is mostly just a move I use to punish attacks that would through me like after shielding someone's dash attack. There are better options in situations beside it that wont get you potentially punished. Like I said before, I think dtilt or single jab -> dtilt is the best OOS move on a grounded opponent. Uair if they are in the air.

cba

Smash Master
Grab Release > Throws.
do teh maff

I like F-Throw to Shield Run to Dtilt.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
are u just not supposed to throw with ZSS
There's nothing that wrong with ZSS' grab, what it lacks in speed it makes up for in range and the fact that it can grab some chars out of SH and can grab anyone out of any attack with contact of the whip.

Some chars like MK and Wario you can grab release with nice results.

With mk you can grab release him after pummeling him. then grab him again right after until you reach the end of the stage.

With wario after you grab release him you can do a dsmash. it will hit everytime.

The BEST times to grab is after a laser stun or in certain circumstances after dsmash.

sasook

Smash Champion
EDIT: Can ZSS bair out of an airdodge? I just thought, in my mind, running towards an opponent, air dodging past them, and doing a bair. It can have similar mindgames to a pivot grab, maybe. Thoughts?
^^^

People probably missed this because it was edited in later.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
^^^

People probably missed this because it was edited in later.
You can do any aerial out of an air-dodge. It's a matter of how high you jump though to see if it's plausible on the ground. And I had been toying with the idea of this back when they released that the game would have multiple air-dodges. Basically this is the precursor to RAR'ing.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
So I'm on the stage, someone is above me. I UpB be and it drags them to the ground. What're the smart options here?

I was playing with her for fun and give her a serious try and against a random DK and managed to Tech Chase with USmashes and continue it as a string about three times in a row. I'm going to assume this was luck, and bad decisions on their part.

Utilt? Forward Tilt? Dsmash obviously doesn't combo here.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
So I'm on the stage, someone is above me. I UpB be and it drags them to the ground. What're the smart options here?

I was playing with her for fun and give her a serious try and against a random DK and managed to Tech Chase with USmashes and continue it as a string about three times in a row. I'm going to assume this was luck, and bad decisions on their part.

Utilt or usmash are both great options. If you wanna get advanced you can jab them from the up b to continue the combo from there. But remember that people can tech the up b so if you see that they do that, tech chase them.

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
I have a question.

Is F-Smash good for anything in the game? Or is it a "don't do no matter what" move?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm a Diddy Main, and if you can't tell from that last question, I'm rather new to ZSS, but she's alot of fun. So, Tech Chasing with Down B? Is that a bad idea? I tend to tech chase with Diddy's Side B alot and they're similiar moves, although the landing lag is probably worse for ZSS

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You might use it after a dsmash, because your opponent won't know how to DI it. You can also sometimes use it if you think your opponent won't expect it. Until you know you have that kind of prediction ability, you probably should never use it except for the use given above.

noradseven

Smash Lord

Utilt is great, AA(crouch cancel) grab, is another amazing option, as they will often B off guard. if you know that neither of these will work out of up B tech chase with over B or running A keep on them.

by tech chase with USmash I hope you mean they were on a platform above you because otherwise they could of just blocked then grabbed you.

I'm a Diddy Main, and if you can't tell from that last question, I'm rather new to ZSS, but she's alot of fun. So, Tech Chasing with Down B? Is that a bad idea? I tend to tech chase with Diddy's Side B alot and they're similiar moves, although the landing lag is probably worse for ZSS
From someone that can play both the answer is no, its a different move mainly because ZSS's can't grab and it doesn't move in the same manner which makes it more difficult. ZSS's best tech chases are over B and running A hands down(the same as Diddy's hur).

I have a question.

Is F-Smash good for anything in the game? Or is it a "don't do no matter what" move?
I use it maybe 1-3 times a match, because it can be great for messing up oppenents who have gotten too used to your pattern plus the move has some insane priority that can beat alot of recovery moves *cough* team starfox *cough*, that are normally hard to punish, because of how long the hitbox is out. Plus if you never use it it builds up actually killing potential, but for the most part avoid it like the plague.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
To who asked about FSmash: it's not terrible. The knockback depends on where you hit them with the whip. I don't use it often enough to know for sure (I'll need to jump in to training mode later to figure it out) but I believe it can kill at ~150% if you hit a mid-weight character with it at close range.

Snakeee

Smash Master
F-smash is GARBAGE. Not even worth it as a random unexpected move because the start up lag is enough for someone to just shield on reaction alone.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
F-smash is GARBAGE. Not even worth it as a random unexpected move because the start up lag is enough for someone to just shield on reaction alone.
Yeah, I hadn't considered the start-up lag.

However; Snakeee, I saw a match once where you broke DSF's shield. I don't remember what exactly you did, but I was wondering why you didn't do a close-up F-Smash. I mean, he was shield-stunned, he wasn't going to shield-grab you and at close range it has pretty decent killing power.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash is pretty much ZSS' WORST MOVE. It will never have any use besides a last resort if you dsmash them after a long fight and your bair has decayed below killing power. That is the only time it would EVER be appropriate to use. I don't know why this move is even in the game.

btw QUESTION: what part/hitbox of ZSS fsmash is the strongest so that if I ever DO get in this situation I would know what way to do it.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Yeah, I hadn't considered the start-up lag.

However; Snakeee, I saw a match once where you broke DSF's shield. I don't remember what exactly you did, but I was wondering why you didn't do a close-up F-Smash. I mean, he was shield-stunned, he wasn't going to shield-grab you and at close range it has pretty decent killing power.
It wouldn't have KOed him. It's not a good choice after d-smash, what I really should have done was start the d-smashes while standing to the left of him and then short hop through him and B-aired.

I actually end up doing a single d-smash to side B a lot more now because I don't use side B for spacing as much as I used to (at least against people that powershield it most of the time) and it's usually fresh.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Fsmash is pretty much ZSS' WORST MOVE. It will never have any use besides a last resort if you dsmash them after a long fight and your bair has decayed below killing power. That is the only time it would EVER be appropriate to use. I don't know why this move is even in the game.

btw QUESTION: what part/hitbox of ZSS fsmash is the strongest so that if I ever DO get in this situation I would know what way to do it.
The f-smash has 4 hitboxes

Behind: 6% hits straight up, weak
Close: 10% fairly strong, only hitbox that is affected by charging
Mid: 11% strongest part of a c-stick Fsmash
Tip: 6% weak

The important part, is that the only part of the whip that gains any knockback from charging is the really close part. At full charge it will kill mario in the 110% range

non-charged, the strongest part is the middle. It will kill mario around 135%

You can find nearly all hitbox related stuff in my attack statistics thread.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
It wouldn't have KOed him. It's not a good choice after d-smash, what I really should have done was start the d-smashes while standing to the left of him and then short hop through him and B-aired.

I actually end up doing a single d-smash to side B a lot more now because I don't use side B for spacing as much as I used to (at least against people that powershield it most of the time) and it's usually fresh.
Agghhh.. I just watched that match today, you BARELY missed the b-air... I actually winced.
That was and amazing footstool combo on the grenade though.
You really have to post some vids on this new u-air playstyle i keep hearing about. Sounds sick.

sasook

Smash Champion
The commentary on that match when you footstooled off the grenade was too good lol

"OMG WHAT WAS THAT, THIS SOME NY _____ GOIN' ON OVER HERE

(seriously guys, wt- was that?)"

It was hilarious.

Popertop

Smash Champion
sasook i didn't know yo played zero suit

zero suit would be really fun, but I already play too many people, an d her amzing boobzzzzzzz woul clog my already-permeated-with-information brain.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Bahh I didn't say F-smash was good but it can be used like once in a million years, and it defiantly is her worst move, the normal response I get is what move is that ???

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
her amzing boobzzzzzzz woul clog my already-permeated-with-information brain.
If you read Cake's Zero Suit Board for Dummies, it says that there shouldn't be any posting about her looks and junk.

BTW: Thanks Norad for the f-smash tip. I rarely use it but the fact that i use it made me feel like I am doing something wrong.

syxx

Smash Rookie
what is the combo i should be using after down smash? In other words, what is guaranteed (after a certain percentage)

kuenzel

Smash Ace
what is the combo i should be using after down smash? In other words, what is guaranteed (after a certain percentage)
Well, if your fast enough, a grab is always guaranteed. b-air is always a good finisher OOStun. F-air also works, though they might escape from the second hit sometimes.

Just don't up-b---> downsmash. That "combo" is not guaranteed.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Well, if your fast enough, a grab is always guaranteed. b-air is always a good finisher OOStun. F-air also works, though they might escape from the second hit sometimes.

Just don't up-b---> downsmash. That "combo" is not guaranteed.
You mean zero stun on the b-air right its kinda confusing.

After a d-smash you have lots of options, one is to hit them with AA crouch cancel, then f-tilt up, then casually jump and u-air before they can do anything, its a good killer. or double D-smash jump over-B, or f-air for safety, but if you want something that you can just mash in double d-smash grab, it works most of the time has good setups and damage.

Haha I remember that u-b -->d-smash thing I found it like in week one an was all awesome 5 minutes later I decided to not use again because its easily tech able.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Well I guess if you ask what is GUARANTEED, fsmash would do. but you don't wanna use it though, it sucks. you should use aerials or tipper side b's instead. but it will only be GUARANTEED if you are always able to time it right. so learn to do that.

Linkissocool

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips for dittos ?
My skill level goes down significantly during them....for reasons I'm unaware of. :\

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
I guess im the only person who find dittos fun -_-

:(Aww, am I the only one here that likes ZSS dittos? It's simple, it's all about who is better at fighting without side b and other spacing attacks. Since ZSS is like the best person to get past her own spacing, it forces both of us to fight with more hand 2 hand style. which is fun! :chuckle:
ZSS can get past the other's spacing really well. if you see another ZSS just spamming side b, lasers, or SH bair, all you have to do is run up, powershield and attack. which is why you must rely on all your other, H2H (hand to hand) combat moves. uhh I guess another thing to know is that if one ZSS has you in the air juggling you, you should dair to the ground to get away. learn to use the laser while moving backwards, it helps.

The whole matchup is about who can be more offensive and who can fight better in H2H, this means being able to utilize all your tilts, your 1 frame jab, at certain times SH uair, and of course mindgames.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
lol jab is useless in dittos.

if you ever get jabbed by a ZSS, just spam jab, you'll interrupt the third hit and repeatedly clank until you separate. After that, d-tilt/f-tilt or grab, whatever you think will work.

Top Bottom