• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zeldas Dtilt

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I thought that the d-tilt lock was only in the japanese version, or so I was told by DarkMusician.

(This was typed on my PSP)
I will clear this up.

I do not use the lock, nor have I been shown it by anyone really. I was told from a smasher on the mainland some time ago that it only existed in the Japanese version.

But since people are still doing it in the American version it's obvious that I was mistaken. I may have been thinking of something else, or my source might've been lying to me/wrong altogether.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I will clear this up.

I do not use the lock, nor have I been shown it by anyone really. I was told from a smasher on the mainland some time ago that it only existed in the Japanese version.

But since people are still doing it in the American version it's obvious that I was mistaken. I may have been thinking of something else, or my source might've been lying to me/wrong altogether.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.
bah I don't REALLY remember it working in either version. I mean I guess I WAS more successful with it in the japansese verson but I think that's because it was earlier and people didn't really know how to escape it as well.... but now adays I can normally catch them in about 3 tilts before they get out either with a quick attack or good DI

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I believe it depends entirely on positioning and DI. I've locked someone for about 35+% before but I don't remember what % they started at; I just know it was kind of low. Zelda's body has to be right on top of them for it to work though.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Dtilt is a move i rarely use...but now I see it's fairly important for her after reading a few comments...I'll make sure to put that into my Zelda Resume...thanks...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I just wanna ask...

When you perform the lock, do you mash the A-button or do you time your kicks?

Sometimes I mash,
And sometimes I time the kicks in wait for my opponent to pop up so I can perform a Utilt or somethin else..

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I just wanna ask...

When you perform the lock, do you mash the A-button or do you time your kicks?

Sometimes I mash,
And sometimes I time the kicks in wait for my opponent to pop up so I can perform a Utilt or somethin else..
Like said, never mash. No good comes from mash. Except for potatoes.

If the lock is successful, they should cycle through 3 DIFFERENT ANIMATIONS.

First, they cringe, then they keel over, then they fall on their *****, and back to the beginning.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Wow, I didn't imagine this thread lasting this long......after a couple more weeks of use, i've come to the conclusion that this move is just too good. You say Zelda doesn't have combos? well meet the dtilt, it can be used for damage racking and it sets up for the kill. I think every Zelda user should be using this move in their game a lot.

magikguy

Smash Lord
just got owned by it . marth gets gimped with that lousy tilt lock to down smash >_>...guy told me to di backwards really doesnt work .

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Either way you eat some smash to the face.

One more thing is catch people off the ledge with this is too good. It's like a free kill.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
The move is wonderful and great for combos but it's very hard to hit against an opponent who really knows what they're doing.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
So there's a rythmn to this move like Shiek's f-tilt? I usually just mash. Like I do with Shiek's lock :laugh:

And this move is great. Yesterday I was fighting a link and he was ahead by one stock. Link had about 60-70% and I started locking him till 100% and Dsmashe him to his death.

I think the lock depends on the % of the opponent. If you use dtilt at like 10%, you'll only get a few hits before they DI away or shield. But when you use it at mid percentages like 40-70% (depending on the characters weight), you'll have a better chance of doing 30+%

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I also mash, It wonderful ^-^
And Zelda's D-tilt clashes with the majority of F-smashes in the game o_o
Marth's, Peach's, Mr. G&W's, Link's, and the list goes on and on, Zelda's d-tilt mya even clash with every F-smash in the game o_O
It has also hitboxes behind Zelda :o

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I also mash, It wonderful ^-^
And Zelda's D-tilt clashes with the majority of F-smashes in the game o_o
Marth's, Peach's, Mr. G&W's, Link's, and the list goes on and on, Zelda's d-tilt mya even clash with every F-smash in the game o_O
It has also hitboxes behind Zelda :o
Which is what makes this move so great, you can even use it as a sort of defensive move........you really should throw this move out whenever you can. I've recently been using this move to actually hit characters that are rolling behind me, doesn't even matter which direction I am facing.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
So there's a rythmn to this move like Shiek's f-tilt? I usually just mash. Like I do with Shiek's lock :laugh:

And this move is great. Yesterday I was fighting a link and he was ahead by one stock. Link had about 60-70% and I started locking him till 100% and Dsmashe him to his death.

I think the lock depends on the % of the opponent. If you use dtilt at like 10%, you'll only get a few hits before they DI away or shield. But when you use it at mid percentages like 40-70% (depending on the characters weight), you'll have a better chance of doing 30+%
Correct!

Take Ike for example, he can be locked up to 85%... at 86%+ he will "pop up"
(If they are hit when behind Zelda they pop up on lower %'s)
I find it very hard to know on which % they CAN be caught in the lock though..
Around 50% it seems, i'm not sure..
(Could be tested by 2 humans)

On floaty characters Like Samus you can hit them with a reverse bair right after He/she pops up! ^_^ very sexy!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think since I did start this thread if people are interested enough i'll do some testing. I'll use a human test subject and make a chart based on percentages.

I'll find out what percentages each character can be locked in and for how long depending on di

What finisher can the dtilt combo into at higher percentages

Follow ups after they escape the lock

I'll also get precise accounts of which direction for di leads into which move.

Should start work on this by this weekend.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Awesome. I just won a match the other day by Dtilting the poor Tlink. I was at 80% and he was at 20 or 40%. Started Dtilting him at the edge. Idk if he was DIing or not...kinda looked like he was at the end, but my dsmashed finished him off befrore he could DI away.

Gothic Zelda

Smash Apprentice
I love using dtilt as many times as I can. Sometimes I screw up and get powershielded but I can usually either catch them again or get away in time. The perfect set up is at 100+ when everyone gets popped up. A utilt usually kills them off and that's just the best feeling in the world to me. And since sometimes my tilts, forever reason, turn into a usmash, it works even better.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Another thing that I don't believe was mentioned in the thread.............dtilt is good for edgeguarding. Notorious ledgestallers such as Pit and Samus set themselves up for this. We all know dtilt comes out really fast, so you should be able to get it off before they can do a get up attack or any other manuever. I've found that it actually can semi-lock on airborne characters, so you could be setting up for dsmash right at the edge, which is almost a spike against characters with average recoveries. To top it off, you might even be able to get the spike if your lucky enough....the hitbox for the spike is really close to Zelda, so you have to time it pretty well.

Zelda players, instead of just standing away from the ledge shooting dins fire at ledgestallers, be proactive.SHAD right into a dtilt and see if you can get some easy kills. Hopefully this move will start to be used more and more....I can't stress how good it is.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Yeah I did that to a ledgestalling Samus once and he went straight to hell!!

It's good for opponents that like to jump on the ledge to recover instead of using their B recovery...

Excellence

Smash Champion
I know someone's going to bash at me for this question, but which way do you DI to escape Zelda's DTilt 'lock'. Sometimes, it seems like I escape quicker than other times, but the way I DI doesn't always work as well. Maybe it's because I play Zelda's mostly online.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Depends on where you are in the lock, I believe. Taking the knee cap on the extended leg to be the half way point, if you're closer to Zelda, DI towards her, if you're farther, DI away from her.

This is pure speculation, so I say test it out or wait for a more experienced user to reply.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I've started incorporating it a lot and I can say there is honestly no downside to this move. Usually, even if they shield, you can just follow it up with another dtilt until they do it again.

When they are at lower percents, you can just dtilt them to hell and back.

At higher percents, it pops them up to just the right height for an upsmash.

Not only that, the hitbox extends slightly behind her. Wonderful, wonderful move. Experiment with it and see what you guys can do.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Also, I don't know if you can be shieldgrabbed, but I always space properly and i've never been shieldgrabbed when using this move. I think the only options they have is sh aerial(which you can then grab them), or they are forced to retreat.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Honestly ryoko kind of answered this well back on the first page, but yes zelda's dtilt is essentially her "Jab" in functionality.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I use the lock early and often straight out of shield which racks up surprising damage but everyone knows that. It is the kill setup that is nearly guaranteed that I haven't seen anyone talk about. After 95-100% the tilt pops the character up which leads to these combos:

DTilt --> USmash or DTilt --> UTilt

I use my USmash for damage racking so I favor the UTilt combo for the kill. I have had no problems performing these combos on a regular basis against a variety of characters.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I use the lock early and often straight out of shield which racks up surprising damage but everyone knows that. It is the kill setup that is nearly guaranteed that I haven't seen anyone talk about. After 95-100% the tilt pops the character up which leads to these combos:

DTilt --> USmash or DTilt --> UTilt

I use my USmash for damage racking so I favor the UTilt combo for the kill. I have had no problems performing these combos on a regular basis against a variety of characters.
Thats a good choice! I too save my Utilt for the KO, and use Usmash for damage racking..

But I can't agree that they pop up on 95%-100%...
I think it's more like 78% - 90% (Snake for examlpe pops up at 89%)

Bandit

Smash Lord
It definitely depends on the matchup when they exactly pop up. If they pop up earlier than expected, then USmash and save the UTilt. If I remembered the thread I saw the trip data from then I'd put it up, but it was not specific to opponent.

Villi

Smash Lord
It depends on decay and weight. If you've been using a lot of dtilts, expect that they'll stay on the ground for the most part. If you've been racking up damage some other way, then you can expect to pop them up starting from 69(jiggz)-93(bowser).

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ahhh so decay does have something to do with it......very good to know.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Depending on how high they pop up, you can respond with any one of your smash attacks.

I find that a nice touch.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I've recently found that some characters have the ability to jab through your dtilts at low percents. Didn't see this mentioned earlier, but Wigi is one of the few who can do it.

When I say through, I mean that you can hit them, but they will be able to jab you before you can get another dtilt off. It's not quite the lock I thought it was.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yes but if they trip...........they're locked. I don't think anyone was under the impression that it locked without tripping. All characters with jabs that come out on frame 2(ZSS on 1) can jab you out if they're standing up.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
You can try using Nayru's Love, which knocks them down.
That gives you a split second to get to your opponent & start D-tilting.

Remember, this works best when your opponent is at low percentages.

Top Bottom