• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zeldas Dtilt

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ok, I play a lot of Zelda but I don't use this move ever. I've seen it cause tripping and lock the other player sort of like Sheiks ftilt lock. What I need to know is are there setups for the dtilt because it's hard to pull off in a real match(and don't just tell me dtilt out of shield). Also if the first hit locks, is it an guaranteed lock or can it be DI'ed out of?

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Just like Sheik's tilt lock (or any character's for that matter), it can be eventually DI'ed out of. It has a lot of use though. It's a great setup for the Dsmash in particular since it makes the opponent fumble a bit.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Dtilt is a very useful move, but I don't use it that often cuz I find it hard to set up. I'm really slow with her tilts unless I have cstick set to attack, but cstick smash is way more effective.

If the person trips or does that spinning animation when you dtilt, then can't escape, but if they don't they can DI out of it. So no, it's not a guaranteed lock.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I know that eventually it can be DI'ed out of, i'm just trying to figure out how much percentage can be racked up normally.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I think it's best to use it during mid-high percentages. You might wanna try 50%-70%. I think that's when they get locked a lot more then usual.

I remember getting someone from 70% to over 100% and then dsmashing them away :D

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
See, the reason why I'm hesitant to call it a lock is because the move doesn't really "lock." It can be powershielded and Zelda can be punished... but only if you use it at a % where they don't pop up in the air and if they do not trip.

The closer you are, the better it works. It's a very fast tilt, and you might as well use it when you want to conserve your Dsmash, as it comes out faster than just about the rest of her moves, and the rest of them, save jab, are designed to kill, so yeah.

Generally speaking, you're going to want to just use this enough times until they trip. Otherwise, you can lock up, on average (midpoint of dtilt + DI away from Zelda) about 20%. Getting closer might get you another hit, and any tripping will definitely add on damage. It's very helpful for refreshing the rest of her kill moves and it aids her generally poor racking damage abilitiy.

The main thing it's used for, as stated earlier (and you probably already know this) is to set it up for another dtilt, ftilt, utilt, Dsmash, Fsmash, or Usmash - any of her ground based A moves. If you're looking for a combo starter and you're not too hot on attempting a grab, dtilt is a very good choice to go with. As far as locking with it, it works, but do it at your own risk (and try not to do it on characters like Marth, who can just Up B you out of it).

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
See, the reason why I'm hesitant to call it a lock is because the move doesn't really "lock." It can be powershielded and Zelda can be punished... but only if you use it at a % where they don't pop up in the air and if they do not trip.
That means you're not doing it at the right percents. Like any other "lock" the percents and move freshness at which you do it dictate whether or not it truly combos. This isn't something I should have to be telling anyone.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
SHFFN-air will work at low percentages.

Sometimes you need to jump/dodge behind them and get them when they're doing a laggy attack. Or you can get in position while they're recovering.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Hmm. I tend to use this at low percents, (need to use it way more) and pretty much only if they're very close. Then I can get like 25% on them, then if they trip, which they generally do, downsmash or utilt. But I've seen in Nak's Resolute Princess vid, they both had very high %, he dtilted then utilted really quick for a kill.

Can you guys come up with some instances to use it? I generally battle fast chars, falco, sonic, marth, etc. So
I find a hard time doing this when they're in my face.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ya it's very situational and the only times i'm able to land it is after my opponent attempts a very laggy attack(snakes fsmash, ikes fsmash), I've been looking for more ways to incorporate it into my gameplay, but I just haven't found any regular ways as of yet

RoguefanAM

Smash Rookie
Situational? Dtilt? A really predictable move like PK flash or Ganon's Warlock Punch is what I'd call situational. As for dtilt, I've never found it hard to incorperate it into my game. In fact, it's a big part of it - as a damage racker and combo setter upper. The only time I stop using it so much is when my opponents catches on to the fact that they don't have to just lay there and take my multiple dtilts by DIing out of it. And even then, I still pull it out pretty often. I mean, I know it has pretty pathetic range, but it's fast and has the trip. It's a very useful move IMO.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something? :(

-Mars-

Smash Hero
K then tell me how you set it up, because i'm having a lot of difficulty finding setups for it.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
There is no set up. It's like a surprise attack. You can do it after a light attack (nair), powersheild or when they're charging at you.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
That means you're not doing it at the right percents. Like any other "lock" the percents and move freshness at which you do it dictate whether or not it truly combos. This isn't something I should have to be telling anyone.
Oops, I was wrong. My apologies.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
my best setup isnt exactly me set them up it is more of letting them miss. Ex. Some one like say lucas trys to grab you if you avoid it by any means you can go to the lock then, ppl might think there are better methods of punishment but 3 dtilts + a Dsmash is a pretty mean punish. Offensivly there isn't much of a way to set it up, i try maybe a grab release into it but other than that im not sure of any lead ups into it

RoguefanAM

Smash Rookie
marsulas said:
K then tell me how you set it up, because i'm having a lot of difficulty finding setups for it.
I mainly use it whenever an opponent misses me with a particulary laggy attack. ex: Ike's f-smash. I roll behind them, d-tilt once or twice, then let loose with either a f-smash or u-smash, depending on how they fall. Also right after a powershield, if you use it more than once (say they shielded the first one), the second d-tilt usually catches them off guard. It doesn't always work, cuz' some jabs still come out faster, but it's one of the better times to use it. And as mentioned, a grab release into a d-tilt works nicely too.

Though with some characters that have a lot of reach and annoying 'keep away' moves, like Lucario and Rob, it's going to be extremely hard to get within range to land a d-tilt, let alone execute one successfully. So in some match-ups it's not as useful as in others.

Anyway, there are other instances, but those three are my mains ones.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
if the opponent is rushing for a grab, or has a dash attack that doesn't hit low or just has low enough priority, I'll use this vs. dashing competitors if I think it'll turn out better than Fsmash or Ftilt

PK Webb

Smash Champion
When you dtilt lock is there a rhythm like sheiks ftilt lock that you use to lock or do you just mash the button because my friends powersheild real fast out of it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
When you dtilt lock is there a rhythm like sheiks ftilt lock that you use to lock or do you just mash the button because my friends powersheild real fast out of it.
I'm pretty sure that with good timing it can always be powershielded..... and any attack that comes out quicker than Zelda can string together two Dtilts has a chance of hitting Zelda out of her lock.

....but, her tilt can repeatedly trip.... when it does trip, the foe is helpless to be Dtilted again or even Dsamshed... or, at higher damages, they can get knocked up into prime Fsamsh or Usmash range

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I don't know how this works, but some characters will start tripping forward or backwards, unable to do anything =0

Whle others will enter flinch and backwards trip animation, but i do this to Lv 9 CPU and they cannot do anything, and supposedly they have perfect power shield skills right? better than a human? ??? =o

My favorite lock is D-tilt until they're like 130%---->Grab---->Pummel, Pummel, Pummel--->B-throw------->Dead ^^

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I don't know how this works, but some characters will start tripping forward or backwards, unable to do anything =0

Whle others will enter flinch and backwards trip animation, but i do this to Lv 9 CPU and they cannot do anything, and supposedly they have perfect power shield skills right? better than a human? ??? =o

My favorite lock is D-tilt until they're like 130%---->Grab---->Pummel, Pummel, Pummel--->B-throw------->Dead ^^
yes... but comps can be too dumb to get out normally... I.E.... you can shiek jab them against a wall to 999%... and they won't DI out of Zelda's Dtilt or jab out of it either.... because they are stupid

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
yes... but comps can be too dumb to get out normally... I.E.... you can shiek jab them against a wall to 999%... and they won't DI out of Zelda's Dtilt or jab out of it either.... because they are stupid
:ohwell: Oh well...

So Tilt lock on a human works from ??? to ???

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
i usually set up for this move either by getting them to roll into me or when they do a laggy more roll and do it.

its a great more to do also. early game dtilt to dtilt to dsmash racks up 20ish damage and late game dtilt to utilt kills at 100

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I started using dtilt in my Zelda game and it's been working wonders! I think it's probably one of if not her only combo starting move. One of the ways I found that I could set it up was by empty short hops. Most Zelda players empty short hop behind their opponent to try and land the bair, but i've just been landing and dtilting. It comes as a total surprise to your opponent and it racks up anywhere from 20-30%. This has been a fantastic addition to my game and now i'm finally able to set up kills for Zelda instead of having to outthink my opponent all the time. With Zeldas fantastic ko power, this could become one of her more deadly moves. ANother thing I wanted to discuss with everyone...........sometimes you can hit with it even if you aren't facing them. I've only been able to hit with dtilt once when they were behind me however. Don't know if this really matters but I thought it was kinda interesting.

Villi

Smash Lord
I started using dtilt in my Zelda game and it's been working wonders! I think it's probably one of if not her only combo starting move. One of the ways I found that I could set it up was by empty short hops. Most Zelda players empty short hop behind their opponent to try and land the bair, but i've just been landing and dtilting. It comes as a total surprise to your opponent and it racks up anywhere from 20-30%. This has been a fantastic addition to my game and now i'm finally able to set up kills for Zelda instead of having to outthink my opponent all the time. With Zeldas fantastic ko power, this could become one of her more deadly moves. ANother thing I wanted to discuss with everyone...........sometimes you can hit with it even if you aren't facing them. I've only been able to hit with dtilt once when they were behind me however. Don't know if this really matters but I thought it was kinda interesting.
If you intend to do a dtilt, a short hopped air dodge is better than an empty short hop. You can either RAR it or just turn around quickly before you dtilt. Also, you can adjust your joystick down and little less than diagonally down to turn around while you dtilt and continue to dtilt if you manage to connect with the hitbox behind her.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Well DarkMusician got out of mine in one shot, so now I only use d-tilt at high percents.
I usually can get more than one against DM when I really want to (but I usually just use one and go for a follow up because it's not good to be greedy). Not that any number of Dtilts would save me from DM.

As far as hitting your opponent with that first Dtilt, I can't really think of any special setups. I just use it as a poke when my opponent gets close to me and it usually hits (it think it might work well for me because I usually execute it a little slower than my normal responses).

On a side note, most of the people I play try to get out of multiple Dtilts by a combination of DI and trying to block, so I find it really easy to get a dashing grab if you stop after one or two Dtilts (but maybe it's just people most people I play aren't especially good).

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Set Up:

I was trying out set ups the last few days, and I came across this. Zelda has a really long air dodge. Air Dodge-Fast Fall towards the opponent, and you can pretty much immediately do a d-tilt as soon as you land. Works really well. I would imagine Spot Dodge works similarily, but the air dodge method is much easier to time.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes when the enemy tries to land a dash attack (or just starts dashing towards you) I do a quick dtilt -> dsmash. Other than that I haven't really been able to incorporate it into my playing style.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Jab cancel > Dtilt (X2 or 3 depending on %) > Dash attack, dash grab, usmash, fsmash, dsmash. If you're having trouble incorporating either the jab or dtilt into your game just think about what you normally do when poking someone's shield and use those two in combination. Dtilt is a sexy shield poke and you can dtilt then dash away to avoid a shield grab. Also spot dodging laggy moves or dash attacks or even just shielding and attack can be followed up by a dtilt. Really it sets up for too much to not use a lot and it's not that hard to incorporate. Then again it might depend entirely on your style.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Dtilt = GREAT counter to dash grabs, GREAT shieldpoker and GREAT counter to dash attacks with high hitboxes

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
It can also spike at around her thigh if you wanna try doing that...

Not as useful as everything else it does though. ^_^

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
It clashes with a lot of moves ^_^

Clashes with Marth's Fsmash :D and With Rob's Down Smash :D and it comes out as fast as them ^^

And it has hitboxes behind Zelda ;)

Takumaru

Smash Lord
It can also spike at around her thigh if you wanna try doing that...

Not as useful as everything else it does though. ^_^
Actually if you use this to edgeguard you can pop someone up with her dtilt then knock em out with a fsmash or usmash/tilt depending on where they go. So if you try to spike with this and you knock them up (lol) instead of spiking them you have options too.

Top Bottom