• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Video and Critique Archive ~ (obselete thread/check stickies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I tried to get as much out of it as I could cus Im never making another highlight video again. Plus I had to make the gameplay last as long as the songs.....xD

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
R4 Uair finisher was SO good :) I might need to take some of these ledgeguarding baits!

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
thanks kat, i've learned that a lot of characters get pressured hardcore by zelda's ground ledge game so they usually opt for jumping. short hop uair will eat them for breakfast (if they airdodge you can just delay it hehe) :p

people do catch on eventually and stop jumping, but that just means they're limiting their own options :)

unfortunately though that's like the only thing i can do well. everything else is a work in progress!

Xyless

Smash Master
Seriously, playing against Veggie has destroyed the secure feeling I used to have with the ledge. He has even predicted my ledge hopped fair by running off stage and uairing, even though that is generally Peach's best ledge option.

LucarioChris

Smash Cadet
I'm wanting a rate on my skills as Zelda along with a cretique of this match and any tips ya'll might have.

My opponent is a friend of mine who is about my level, probly a little below it though.

Zelda/Shiek VS Fox

Personally, I prefer playing as Zelda over playing as Shiek. Thank you all in advanse!

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that none of this is meant to be mean or discouraging. I'm just being honest and trying to help.

TBQH, you still have a huge amount of things to learn and so does your opponent. Both of you were basically using one attack over and over again until you got punished (which should've happened a lot sooner) and then picked up another attack and started all over again.

There also was practically no actual spacing/zoning at all and neither of you really read your opponent. A prime example of this was the part were both of you kept grabbing right past each other over and over again. Then you both also made stupid mistakes and you relied way too much to Zelda's specials and grab and almost completely ignored her other moves.

Right now my advice would be to start from the very basics: get familiar with Zelda. Learn her moveset, limitations, advantages, disadvantages and tactics. Read the stickies of this board and play around her in training mode and against other peole without actually even trying to win. When you feel you've started to understand the basics start trying out new things with her and start slowly adding them into your play. It may take a long time but don't give up and just keep practising regularly and you'll get better.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I liked her cus she never used Dins....;)

No but seriously, she didnt. Practically the first Zelda Ive ever seen go an entire game without a Dins. Unless I missed it

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Practically the first Zelda Ive ever seen go an entire game without a Dins.
Really?

*thinkthink*

I'm pretty sure I go at least half my games without using Din's. Maybe a bit less. And even when I do use it, I don't think I ever use it with the intention of hitting with it, lol.

Well. In a significant number of MUs, anyway, but I have a habit of playing Zelda vs. high/top tiers.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I use it on wifi cus it actually hits there. I dont use it much obviously when Im fighting better people though, but I mean not even once a match Kaylo?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Honestly, it really depends on the person and the character I'm playing against. I just think it's strange that you've never seen someone not use it at all in a match.

For me, Din's is comparable to Pikachu's QAC as far as how often I do it..... I use it, but it's mostly just for mindgames, baiting, or positioning. I can easily go without it if need be.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Same. -_- ****ing most annoying dittos ever.

Now, Din's in teams? Amazing. <3

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Oh yeah dont get me started on teams....:)

Teaming with GaW or Peach with Zelda is too good imo

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
<3 Peach + Zelda. One of my crewmates mains Peach, and we used to try Pika + Peach, but it never worked..... so I switched to Zelda, and it was 100000x better.

Din's > Toad combos are hilarious, lolol.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Haha thanks Kaylo, now me and my crew are gonna go do some teams cus you made me want to :D

C ya!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Why you call the Zelda player a she automatically?? lol.

I use Dins against like dumb people that want to glide back to the stage or people stupid enough to try and camp me with projectiles like waddles or ice blocks/blizzard. That's about it though I try to avoid using it as much as possible against competent players and anyone who's played me more than 5 times never gets hit by it so I don't even bother. Like my lil bro isn't a fantastic Kirby player(he's good not great), but he never gets hit by it lmao. So yea a lot of the time I will go a whole game without using Dins but not because I have something against the move.....it's just not.....useful in most cases.

I also like Din's in teams....very useful.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You're not supposed to try to hit with Din's. That's not what it's good for in singles. ;;

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It's not good for much of anything....instead of shooting stupid fireballs I could be getting better positioning or doing something more productive. Plus the move really doesn't fit my playstyle in any way so I don't bother.

hcfwesker

Smash Cadet
I've got a few videos to submit for some of the emptier character sections. I recently picked up zelda about 2 months ago, and would really like to represent her as my top main. I'll take any feedback, no matter how harsh. And yes, I know, I abuse the U-smash.

hcfwesher VS Clause ( Samus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OGxqtDra0c&feature=channel_page

hcfwesker VS Clause (Samus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAr0LnHCf8M

hcfwesjer VS Boshi ( Mario )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2V6KmVTSaY

Matches from this past week are below .......

hcfweskher VS Spirit ( Snake) <--- very evil snake player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGloj2gBJE

hcfwesker VS Spirit ( Wario )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5r3YFP8zw

hcfwesker VS PMC66 ( Wolf )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z2beAalfA0&feature=channel_page

I really do appreciate any help and advice. I need it badly.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I saw the match vs the Snake Spirit.

Don't try to randomly run up to him and up smash/Neutral B. You'll die faster.

Don't Up B into him. That's also a quick way to eat damage.

You Din's Fire too much. You hit him out of his C-4 jump and killed the momentum of the explosion which gave him a better chance to live without having to tech. Granted he was kinda far below the stage so he may have lived anyway but yeah. Analyze the situation and know when you don't have to Din's.

You and the Snake were spot dodging way too much. But it's Snake vs Zelda so Snake can kinda get away with it. Specially since you neither of you were really waiting on the others dodges. Snakes faster moves will just win in that kind of a dodge spam war.

Most of the damage you took came from getting impatient and randomly over extending.

hcfwesker

Smash Cadet
Most of the damage you took came from getting impatient and randomly over extending.
I do have this bad habit i need to break, which involves me trying to be overly aggressive. I do become impatient, and just want to throw down, and will get punished for it. Normally I don't spam Din's Fire off stage, but usually I can punish his cypher (when he uses it), then hop off for a F-air/Dair sweet spot spike.

And, also, I just recently, ( I know, a year later) started adding spot dodge to my game, and adjusting to the timing, so it will get used when not to. And, yeah, I almost always take a U-tilt shot in the wrong situations.

I've been watching some of your vids, and reading other guides on the site, and hoping to get back in the training room.

Aibou

Smash Master
Er-hem. I'm gonna butt in to this thread to finally post some vids for my fellow Zeldas to critique. Both are against the same person, who will remain unnamed unless he says otherwise. Both were on wifi, though there was generally no lag. I don't remember the exact date, but I remember they were both fought on the same day about a week ago.

:zelda: vs :wario: (Smashville) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPauB_U9Cw

:zelda: vs :pit: (Battlefield) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Qd1bpd3Y8

I think I said everything that was important...Well, do what you will with them, critique people.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
grabbing someone, then letting them to go to lightning kick them...cool I'll try that. You LK a lot...but in the wario vid, it worked quite a bit too. I liked the vid.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
I really don't know anything about brawl haha... I just basic brawl.... I know no one who plays the game.

Aibou

Smash Master
I really don't know anything about brawl haha... I just basic brawl.... I know no one who plays the game.
Play online with friends from here. Trust me it's a better experience than Basic Brawling.

PS: So any critique on my vids anyone? :confused:

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Haha I know, one thig in the wario vid is to be more accurate with the grab release LK. I think you were drifting forward as you jump, causing you to miss the sweetspot. Just jump and LK, dont move forward or back.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Er-hem. I'm gonna butt in to this thread to finally post some vids for my fellow Zeldas to critique. Both are against the same person, who will remain unnamed unless he says otherwise. Both were on wifi, though there was generally no lag. I don't remember the exact date, but I remember they were both fought on the same day about a week ago.

:zelda: vs :wario: (Smashville) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPauB_U9Cw

:zelda: vs :pit: (Battlefield) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Qd1bpd3Y8

I think I said everything that was important...Well, do what you will with them, critique people.
K I think you smash a little too much. More jab and more nair especially against a character like Wario. You could throw in more dtilts as well.....use dtilt a lot it's Zelda's best move.

Aibou

Smash Master
Haha I know, one thig in the wario vid is to be more accurate with the grab release LK. I think you were drifting forward as you jump, causing you to miss the sweetspot. Just jump and LK, dont move forward or back.
Yay, criticism! *whips out notebook and pen*

Don't move forward when grab releasing > LK-ing Wario.

Thanks Zeldspazz :)

EDIT @ -Mars- : My D-Tilt accuracy is atrocious unfortunately. I know it's Zelda's best move by far, but timing it is...rather difficult.

Aibou

Smash Master
Just where you would use a dsmash or fsmash try a dtilt ;D
That seems easier said than done, but I'll practice it. I remember you telling me once that I d-tilted a lot at the wrong percentages. I fixed that, but now I need to d-tilt more. I can never find the right balance of d-tilting can I?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea like when you are attacking someone right next to you it's hard to punish with fsmash because it's slow to come out. Dsmash is fast but it is punishable on block. At least with dtilt the low cooldwon makes it somewhat safe on shields.

Jab more to bait opponents and stop aerial approaches. You use Naryu's smartly but be careful because that move also has a lot of lag.

Edit: Don't worry too much about percentages......just use dtilt a lot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom