• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Zelda moments that legitimately scared you

resTy

Smash Champion
Scariest moment for me was when I played Wind Waker for 20 hours straight and my dog came in stomping about and pulled the plug for the TV. I was afraid the Gamecube's plug came out too. Luckily it didn't. Scared me to death >.<

In game though, when you talk to the Mask Guy in Majora's Mask after you fail to recover Majora's Mask. He gets all pissed and his face/eyes go crazy and he acts crazy and it scarred me for life. I'm still scared of that scene.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Other than the redeads, the only other thing that I really didn't find too pleasant were the wallmaster hands that fell from the ceiling to grab you. Especially when I was younger... You'd have to pay me just to beat the Forest Temple in OoT just because it had the wallmasters.

TimeTemporal

Smash Cadet
On a subsequent playthrough of oot, I journeyed down the bottom of the Well. Listening to the music, I noticed that there were bongos playing. Somehow not making the connection before, vivid images flashed of Bongo Bongo playing his drums, lurking, just waiting to escape the well. Creepy, improved the atmosphere, and just goes to show how often I played on mute.
And yeah, the Forest Temple was scary my first trip too. N64 Zelda's just nailed atmosphere, didn't they?

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
That, and fighting to a big hand (those that splits into 3 when you kill it while its bit).
Other than the redeads, the only other thing that I really didn't find too pleasant were the wallmaster hands that fell from the ceiling to grab you. Especially when I was younger... You'd have to pay me just to beat the Forest Temple in OoT just because it had the wallmasters.
Right, Wallmaster, I didn't remember its name. lol
Also when I was younger though.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
The NOT TAKE MIRROR in the mansion in TP and the first time you put on the deku/goron/zora masks in MM. Oh, and does creeping out count? If so, then the TP clowns.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
In the Water Temple where you enter this large room with water. I was playing cautious and those annoying little Rays were making cherping noises that shocked me when I got close to the water.

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
Moment that scared the crap outa me?
Ocarina of Time, first time i walked into Gohma's room (in the Great Deku Tree), looked up and saw the eye, then the spider dropped on teh ground (acute Arachnophobia anybody?)

finalark

SNORLAX
"Not take Mirror"
I don't know, NOT TAKE MIRROR never really scared me nor got under my skin despite how it got to others. Mostly because I could see it coming due to the build up, if it happened spontaneously then it would have been scarier.

The Wall Masters and Redeads were scary as **** when I was younger, too.
I second this.

OoT was actually a pretty unnerving game when you're a kid (don't know about now, haven't played it in ages). I'll never forget the... "fun." I had exploring the Bottom of the Well.

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
The Wall Masters and Redeads always scared the crap outa me XD
its stupid, but i was always (and still am) afraid of the Forest Temple just because of hte Twisted Hallway and that freakin Wall Master XD

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The Kakariko Graveyard...the tomb where you learn the Sun's Song. I walked into the room with all the Redeads (Was 8-9 years old at the time) and as soon as I heard the moaning I was legitamately freaked out.

But then....

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!!

That God aweful scream...I dropped my controller and about screamed myself..then frantically grabbed it back off the floor and started mashing Everything. Trying not to cry I kept at it probably wore my control stick out a bit early lol tried and tried to break free, but to no avail.

chomp chomp crack chomp

Then Kid Link's poor lifeless body collapssed on the tomb floor... the redead standing over him.. in my head blood drooling out of it's mouth. I didn't touch the game again for the rest of the week.

The gif should be kid link, but you get the idea lol.

Years later I slaughter the B******* evertime I see em for scary the crap out of me even more than Megaman Legends back then.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.

Aside from Wallmasters and Redeads, these things scared me so much, I really have no idea hah. I would never go off the dirt path as a child, and I would always rush to get the Sun Song. Now they are fun to kill waiting for day :p

VelociLink

Smash Rookie
The Kakariko Graveyard...the tomb where you learn the Sun's Song. I walked into the room with all the Redeads (Was 8-9 years old at the time) and as soon as I heard the moaning I was legitamately freaked out.

That God aweful scream...I dropped my controller and about screamed myself..then frantically grabbed it back off the floor and started mashing Everything. Trying not to cry I kept at it probably wore my control stick out a bit early lol tried and tried to break free, but to no avail.
Ditto, I think I was playing the game at night, and I tried to run past the ReDead...bad idea.

The first time a skulltula swooped down from the ceiling, in the Great Deku tree, also shocked me (especially because I hate spiders); initially when I reached the boss, Gohma, I was terrified because I thought she'd be a giant spider - glad she wasn't. The Twilight Princess giant skulltulas unnerved me too, but surprisingly, I was fine with Armogohma.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
OoT was just creepy as hell in general.

Ever try borrowing a mask from the salesman and coming back with not enough money to repay him? PETRIFYING.

That skultula house in kakriko was really freaky as well.

I remember not being able to sleep for a while because of poes and the great fairy.

Redeads, shadow temple, bottom of the well, etc also scared me ****less.

ZERO...

Smash Apprentice
When I was five years old, my parents thought it would be completely appropriate to buy me Majora's Mask (I can't really blame them since they probably had no idea what some of the content was. However, some of the images on the back still do look like they'd be a bit unnerving for a five-year-old).

Well, at first it wasn't so bad. Oddly enough, I wasn't really scared of the moon, Skull Kid, or Happy Mask Salesman. I was, however, essentially afraid of everything else in the game. Skullutulas (I can never spell the name of these things correctly), anything that could attack you from the air, the Deku Guards surprising me by that shrill whistle when I didn't know that they would find me, Chuchus (That weird-looking face just looked really odd to me), and plenty of other things scared me. Gibdos, Pamela's half-Gibdo father, and Redeads (They danced!) didn't scare me, though

However, one thing, an NPC, scared me more than anything else ever could. I was still five years old at the time, and I was in the Stock Pot Inn at about three A.M. I walked into the restroom, and I saw that hand in the toilet. It looked kind of odd, so I rushed out. Over time, I somehow managed to develop a fear of it (don't ask why. I have no idea). I told a friend about it, and he was curious. I only said it came out at night, so he didn't know that it came out after twelve. He ended up going to the Stock Pot Inn at about 11:30 P.M. He was in the room at around 11:45 P.M. He asked where it was, and I didn't know myself (I had forgotten at the time). Then he went into first person view, looking for it. At that moment, it popped right out of the toilet. Grabbing at the TV screen with those black nails. That gigantic hand, grabbing for Link's face. I screamed and ran right out of the room.

It was pretty traumatic for me (as in, I had trouble going to the bathroom after midnight at my house until I was about eleven. I couldn't go to the bathroom in hotels at all until I was twelve). Even at fifteen, going to the bathroom passed twelve A.M. to 6 P.M. at hotels makes me really nervous. It's kind of sad really.

I swear that Majora's Mask scarred me for the rest of my life. However, it's now my favorite video game. I've done a three heart run of it, a three day run of it, and I plan to do a two day run of it eventually. However, I don't think I'll ever be able to complete a 100% run of it, considering that hand gives out a heart piece.... Hopefully I'll get over it one day.

Well, I typed quite a bit more than I intended to.

Tl;dr, My parents bought me Majora's Mask when I was five years old. I discovered the hand in toilet. When my friend went to see it, he went into first person view. It popped out and scared the crap out of my five-year-old self.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Beneath the Well in OoT still gives me shivers to this day.

Something about a constant fear of turning the corner and seeing a Redead or a Wallmaster...or fighting the mini-boss for the Lens of Truth.

Ugh...

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
Shadow Temple and Bottom of the well were pretty scary back then when I first played the game, then Tingle... that guy scares me in the wrong way

Top Bottom