• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Thread // OUTDATED

Slyfer070

Smash Cadet
I read your stuff and it proves nothing. The only thing Zelda has to outspace are her smashes but if she makes a mistake Wolfs fsmash is a guaranteed hit. Wolf is much more mobile on the ground and hard to finish. His tilts outrange and outspeed Zeldas tilts and she needs her smashes to KO reliably. She dies very early too, especially to dsmash.
whoa whoa. Zelda if anything to wolf does not die early. If dying early is 140 percent. Then yes she dies early but that's not early to me. I play a wolf, the earliest I've probably died w/o gimping is probably 120. If you can DI well, you can live to unfathomable percentages. However at 140 you get hit with a fair of wolf's you're pretty much guaranteed death. I've counted and not once have a lived a 140 fair.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
people who think wolf can kill dont know how to di his attacks.

wolfs attacks should never kill below 100 on anyone. if they did they DI'd wrong.

GaW can live at 100%-200% depending on if the move is stale or fresh from a wolf smash if Di'd correctly. since zelda is heavier than gaw im sure this means she can live to at least 120-140% if di is good.

A-attacks killing range bair 100-999 fair 120-999 (thats with bad di) uair who cares? dair probally like 300
Smash attacks dsmash 100-999 fsmash 110-99 (thats if only the good part hits) usmash it only works if both hits or only the last hit connects otherwise it will never kill.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I read your stuff and it proves nothing. The only thing Zelda has to outspace are her smashes but if she makes a mistake Wolfs fsmash is a guaranteed hit. Wolf is much more mobile on the ground and hard to finish. His tilts outrange and outspeed Zeldas tilts and she needs her smashes to KO reliably. She dies very early too, especially to dsmash.
zelda's tilts also outrange and normally outpower wolf's.

her uptilt is ridiculous. no contest there.

her FTilt is not as good as wolf's but it has comperable power, knockback and range to his.

Her Dtilt is just better. it might not be as strong, but it's way more useful.

Wolf's fsamsh rarely kills and I only really get hit with it if I whiff something or land in an unsafe area. Nayru's just stops it cold and leads itself to be followed up with a dash attack or a grab.

that's another thing, Zelda normally does better than wolf in grabs AND dash attacks.

basically all he seems to have on her on the ground is that he can camp like a ***** and can wait for her when she's in the air.

but when they are both grounded, other than camping, what DOES he have on her?

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
wolf cant camp well.... if he can its only against like zelda. and characters who lack approaches like cfalcon ganon and zelda. did i mention zelda?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
wolf cant camp well.... if he can its only against like zelda. and characters who lack approaches like cfalcon ganon and zelda. did i mention zelda?
zelda's approach is not THAT awful. Okay... maybe it IS bad. Not sure if it's captain falcon bad or not, but it's definitely not her strong point.

anyhow, wolf can't camp her facntastically well maybe, but he CAN camp her.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think Wolf takes this one guys. For the same reasons Marth does.

Superior zoning and space control.

Forget that laster. Wolfs tilts and Bair and that F-smash for punishing is what lays the hurt on Zelda in this match.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I think Wolf takes this one guys. For the same reasons Marth does.

Superior zoning and space control.

Forget that laster. Wolfs tilts and Bair and that F-smash for punishing is what lays the hurt on Zelda in this match.
Yeah, Wolf's Ftilt is a beast to deal with. That Dtilt is no slouch either.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Even so. Wolf doesn't zone NEAR as well as marth, and marth doesn't have a huge advantage against Zelda. I'm sticking to my 55:45 guns for Wolf.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Marth has fair, d-tilt and DB.

That's three moves.
he also has bair and Ftilt and Fsamsh can actually punish people at greater ranges.

the problem is, wolf doesn't outrange zelda; Marth does. So, if zelda stays out of wolf's ftilt or dtilt range, she has the advantage.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Wolf's Bair outranges Marth's fair.

Wolf's F-smash is an amazing OOS punisher. He can punish at ranges greater then any character.

Wolf has greater aerial mobility then Marth as well which augments his zoning.

He can also whip out a laser shot while zoning to keep Zelda on her toes.

Also..why the crap would I bair over fair with Marth. Or F-smash over d-tilt.

You are a silly head.

The only move Zelda really outranges Wolf with is her f-tilt.

Pretty sure her F-smash has about equal range to his tilts. And Wolf attacks faster.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
that's 3 moves. and wolf's ftilt does nothing if zelda is in her max ftilt/fsamsh range. At least marth as some punishment if she's there.
I'm gonna post the same thing here that I did in that Snake Ftilt thread because I feel it's relevant here as well.

For reference: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195455&page=2

Because of the way that Zelda achieves the range on her Ftilt and Fsmash, combined with their relatively slow execution speed, characters with quick, long range moves can beat out Zelda's Ftilt and Fsmash even if she outranges them, by hitting her as she shifts her weight forward to execute the attack.

I'm not sure how fast Wolf's tilts are, but they seem like they'd be fast enough (faster than Zelda's Ftilt and Fsmash) where they could effectively be used for this strategy (and thus nullify Zelda's range advantage).

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Zelda's fsmash outranges Marths fsmash and i'm pretty sure Marths fsmash outranges Wolfs' ftilt.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Incorrect. Marth's F-smash outranges Zelda's.

Just tested it.
Zelda leans forward when she attacks. her extended hitbox is not as large as marth's, but I'm pretty sure it has at least as much range, i.e. if he releases his smash before she does, he'll whiff and she'll connect.

same is true in reverse though.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Zelda leans forward when she attacks. her extended hitbox is not as large as marth's, but I'm pretty sure it has at least as much range, i.e. if he releases his smash before she does, he'll whiff and she'll connect.

I'm also quite sure marth outranges her.

Also, as Gimpy once said, there's no such thing as an extended hitbox.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Why did..this went from Wolf to Marth T_T I'm leaving it blank until all of YOU get into an agreement T_T
If you already are, tell me, which is it...

Next Update to come, hopefully this one won't cause too much trouble *doesn¿t want another Dedede or Wolf* T_T

-Mars-

Smash Hero
What do you mean trouble? Good discussion like this is what helps people get better. Arguments from both sides is better than just us talking amongst ourselves

@EL- so i'm incorrect Marth's does outrange hers, she still outranges Wolfs ftilt.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I know, i like heated discussions ^_^ I don't like catfights in the thread D= It would be nice if people backed up their info. with videos or data ;D

And stop with Marth please, we're with Wolf ;__;

May i update or there's still room for discussion?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm also quite sure marth outranges her.

Also, as Gimpy once said, there's no such thing as an extended hitbox.
like I said. His disjoint is larger but she leans forward more. his has a safer range, but I don't necessarily think it's much longer, if longer at all.

either can punish the other if improperly timed.

Villi

Smash Lord

Yeah, Zelda also leans back before she leans forward, so if she's in tipper range and the attacks are initiated at the same time, Marth whiffs and Zelda connects. ... Just sayin, though. A backward stutter stepped fsmash requires much less precise spacing.

A premature fsmash is probably something Marths try to avoid anyway. Marth's fsmash definitely out-ranges Zelda's. Not by much, but definitely enough to make a difference. It's not hard to see at all, unlike the difference between say Zelda's final fsmash burst and her ftilt.

PS Immediately exploded Din's out-ranges Marth's fsmash tipper. :embarrass

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
heh. but to bring that all back... Wolf does NOT outrange it. and zelda can still punish wolf ftilts with her Fsmash due to the leaning back making her even harder to hit.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
heh. but to bring that all back... Wolf does NOT outrange it. and zelda can still punish wolf ftilts with her Fsmash due to the leaning back making her even harder to hit.
Meaning that the only move in which Wolf outranges on the ground is fsmash. As Wolf players have pointed out, it's strictly used for punishing. So Zelda outranges Wolf on the ground.......I wonder if her ftilt outranges any of Wolfs ground moves?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Meaning that the only move in which Wolf outranges on the ground is fsmash. As Wolf players have pointed out, it's strictly used for punishing. So Zelda outranges Wolf on the ground.......I wonder if her ftilt outranges any of Wolfs ground moves?
yes. Zelda's Ftilt reaches farther than all but the final hit of her Fsmash, and even that is BARELY longer range.

and her Dtilt also reahes far out.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sonic, 60:40 Wolfs favour is by no means a bad match-up for Zelda. It just shows, that it's easier for Wolf to win aka that the Zelda player has to put more effort in the battle than the Wolf plaer...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sonic, 60:40 Wolfs favour is by no means a bad match-up for Zelda. It just shows, that it's easier for Wolf to win aka that the Zelda player has to put more effort in the battle than the Wolf plaer...
I'm aware what 60:40 means. And it would mean Wolf is as bad as Marth for one thing. and that's just not true.

Edit:

also, Royal Blood, take marth to Luigi's mansion, and wolf to lylat cruise. Mansion is good against wolf too, but cruise seems to be better. Both is always an option.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Obviously. Marth is worse than 60:40 after all
I wrestled with the notion of maybe 65:35 marth, but decided, no, it's really not exceptionally difficult to beat a marth with Zelda. It's frustrating, sure, but completely manageable.

Well Royal Blood wants to get conversation on a new character started. So maybe I can suggest a start.

Zelda Vs. Toon Link
I'm not sure whether ot not good ol' Toonie is going to be the next matchup we do or not, but I've been playing against a Toon Link a lot recently, so I wanted to write down some thoughts I had about the matchup while they were still fresh.
Okay, first thing's first, I'll talk about how my matches have been going: badly. Now there ARE a few reasons for this; I'm not giving johns. Instead, I'm just stating that it was not entirely the status of the matchup that was causing me to do poorly. Those four factors are:
  • Our matches were on wi-fi with noticable lag, including obvious lag spikes.
  • For the past few days, I've been almost completely neglecting Zelda in favour of Sheik. However, Sheik has a lot of trouble with Toonie in my experience, so I switched to Zelda. So I was playing as Zelda but I wasn't really feeling Zelda.
  • I have a lot less experience against a good Toon Link than I would like. It seems that every n00b that uses our wii uses the great n00b trifecta of Toonie, Pika and Kirby. And e just get so tired of seeing them, so it seems in our little group there is an unspoken soft ban on all three of these charcters :laugh:
  • This particular Toon Link user has a LOT of experience against Zeldas, and good Zeldas at that.
As I said, these aren't excuses, just conflicting factors that might lessen the validity of my assertions.
If I had to be honest, and no disrespect to the Toon Link user against whom I am playing, I am the better of the two of us. It's not like I'm hugely better or anything, but it's enough that I'd say it should be clear to anyone who has seen the two of us. I could read his semi shallow gameplay like a book after just a couple matches, but, for whatever reason (lag, dumb decisions... whatever) I wasn't punishing him for them:laugh:. But even so, it wasn't just mistakes making the matchup hard. Anyway, I'm better and Ankoku says the matchup is 70:30 Zelda. Even with lag I should be winning right? Well, I'm not. We're going about even and that ain't right.
There could, of course, be multiple reasons for this, but, the most likely reason, in my eyes, is that the matchup, as it is written, is just wrong. Toon Link has always been an uphill battle in my eyes. I'll give reasons why in a moment, but, for now, I'm just saying that I do find it bad. Toonie is, to me, somewhere in the range of Peach and Marth as far as difficulty for me.
So what does this mean? Well it means that my tentative rating would be 55:45-60:40 Toonie's advantage. I'd say the lesser is more likely, but I haven't played a really good Toonie, so it very well may be 60:40. Here's why it's Toonie's advantage:

Brief Synopsis.
Toon Link is a slippery little bugger. He has a number of projectiles which can be greatly disruptive. He's tiny. He's fast. He's got good range, disjointed hitboxes and a surprising amount of strength for such a little squirt. He is, however, light weight, which is always a plus for Zelda.
Anyway let's look at each area closer.

Projectile Game
Normally Zelda can be quite resistant to projectile games due to Nayru's reflection or Din's trading. Toonie, however, maintains an effective projectile game against Zelda.
Looking at each projectile more closely starting with most easily countered and ending with least:
  1. Arrows: Zelda's chance to shine against Toonie's projectiles. His arrows can be quite easy to see abd reflect, and are also very easy to counter with Din's; they are slow enough and weak enough that, if Zelda shoots off a Din's at Toonie while he's charging an arrow, or, in any event, before he shoots one, she can hit him before he has a chance to release and erect a sheild AND it cancels out his arrow should he actually release it.
  2. Boomerang: Can you reflect this? Yes. Does it matter? Not really. Toon Link does not really use the boomerang for direct purposes, it's way too weak for that. No, instead, Toon Links tend to use their 'rangs to disrupt you, to frustrate you, to interrupt you or to set up for some stronger attacks. As a result, you reflect the boomerang.... so what? Assuming Toonie doesn't just sheild it, which he can normally do pretty easily, the damage is minimal. Also, the boomerang's movement can lead it to miss entirely if reflected. IN ADDITION, the cooldown on nayru's and Toon Link's speed can make it JUST as bad for you if you DO reflect it as if you didn't. He often just uses it to create an opening and you might be doing his job for him if you use Nayru's; he'll just rush in and punish you with a dashing Usmash or some other worthy attack.
    My advice would be, if you ARE going to reflect the boomerang, try to preempt it so that you reflect with the last few active frames of Nayru's and substantially limit your abilty to be punished.
  3. Bombs: I think we already talked about this a lot with Peach's turnips: Bombs can be thrown in such ways that reflecting them may do nothing at all, or may just wind up leaving you vulnerable. Anyway, it rarely is bad for Toon Link if you reflect them. Luckily, in certain instances, you can combat these with Din's.

Air Game
Zelda's is completely devestating... it's too bad that Toon Link limits her to Uair almost exclusively. As long as toon link isn't sleeping, his aerials have the range, speed and priority to just keep you out of range from using nair, bair, fair or dair without ample setup. I mean, thank God at least Uair still works so well, but in the air against toonie, Zelda is like a fish out of water.
Toonie, on the other hand, quite enjoys the air and will make Zelda's life a living hell up there, especially with that bair.

Ground Game
Neither side has a great approach against the other and neither side can reliably force the hand of the other (this normally means whoever gets the lead first has an advatage. A sign Zelda is NOT a hard counter in my eyes). In my experience, the match normally consists of a LOT of feints and baiting attempts. Otherwise, Zelda just tries to get as close as possible without stepping into a danger zone. While Zelda is doing this, tooine is normally trying to keep zelda at bay with projectiles and waiting for the first opening he sees to try and start pressuring Zelda.
As for special notes:
  • You outrange him, he outspeeds you.
  • Due to quick disjoints and his small stature, short hopped aerials are woefully innefective against him.
  • OoS Usmash from Toonie is just plain terrifying. Do NOT dash attack if Toonie is in a position to sheil it. ESPECIALLY if you have high damage. He'll eat you alive.
Edgeguarding
Toonie Guarding Zelda
  • He's not so great against Zelda, luckily. Long airdodges and the nature of Farore's are highly protective for you.
  • BEWARE landing on the stage or say hello to something nasty from toonie. Trying to appear ON him will get you OoS Usmashed.
  • When recovering from high, be defensive with airdodges and the like. do NOT get agressive and do NOT Din's glide or you might find yourself dying long before your time should have been up.
Zelda Guarding Toonie
  • You should know the rules about zelda edgeguarding by now. In short: make sure you can safely make it back and not get punished for your attempt.
  • Toonie's recovery is great as far as distance is concerned, but he's completely vulnerable to a good lightning stomp if the positioning is condusive for it.
Overall, I give zelda the advatage in theis department, but will add the disclaimer that it's not a deciding factor by any stretch of the imagination.

Stages
Luigi's Mansion
  • Without a doubt your best choice for a stage. The pillars really hamtper TL's projectile game and the ceilings do quite a bit to keep the match ont he ground rather than in the air. The stage is almost built for Zelda in this matchup.

Conclusion:
Toon Link just has the advantage here. He owns the skies in the matchup and on the ground he has at least as many tools as Zelda. The only area in which she seems to have the advatage is in gimping and even then she's not fantastic at that.
I'm just hard pressed to find any reason Zelda should have the advatage here. If I had to give the clearest possible statement of my perspective of the matchup, I'd say that I'd be:
60% Willing to believe that it's 55:45 Toon Link
30% Willing to believe that it's 60:40 Toon Link
5% Willing to believe it's even or Zelda's advatage
5% Willing to believe that Toon Link has an advatage of 65:45 or more against Zelda.

I've rambled for far too long,but I submit what I've said as truth. If anyone has any comments or opinions, you are welcome to post them. ;)

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
^HELL YES! O_O
Anyway, i think --->IMO<--- is 50:50, Toon Link cannot juggle Zelda that well, he can, but not so good ;D especially offline ^_^
Time to update :3 T_T Any agreement on Wolf Vs Zelda yet WITH proof T_T

Edit : Zelda's Din's Fire outprioritazes ALL of TL's projectiles, that gives you the option to use Din's Fire instead of Nayru's, which is safer due to Din's Lag being minor and hitbox being bigger

Edit 2 : Hey Sonic, you wouldn't mind helping with info to the thread right :3 you wouldn't right D: *prays*

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
^HELL YES! O_O
Anyway, i think --->IMO<--- is 50:50, Toon Link cannot juggle Zelda that well, he can, but not so good ;D especially offline ^_^
Time to update :3 T_T Any agreement on Wolf Vs Zelda yet WITH proof T_T

Edit : Zelda's Din's Fire outprioritazes ALL of TL's projectiles, that gives you the option to use Din's Fire instead of Nayru's, which is safer due to Din's Lag being minor and hitbox being bigger
- Toonie CAN juggle zelda. and, in any event, all she can do most of the time in the air is evade. It's still toonies advantage here.

- Wolf isn't quite agreed upon, but 55:45 wolf seems to capture the most common view. Wolf is NOT all over the place, unlike DDD. Wolf is just floating between a few values.

- Zelda's Din's DOES outprioritize toonies projectiles, but toonies outspeed AND bombs are really hard to conter with din's because he can throw them from safe areas. Really good luck countering anything but arrows with din's.

<_< what kind of info... what are we talkin about here?

Top Bottom