• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's placement in the tier list

bigman40

Smash Master
Im pretty sure... hmmm we...have........

=o
Stocky! Go to sleep **** you! xD

And the main way we'll get him respect is place more tourneys (we're doing good and getting more help, which is even better), and jump da **** out of everyone and constantly rant why Yoshi is Cookie Tier!

If that doesn't work......then just run them over ;)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Why is Yoshi so low?

And I'm being serious here. I want somebody to honestly tell me why Yoshi is so low.

None of this, "Oh the SBR hates Yoshi garbage." There has to be some reason.

Now what is it? Can anyone explain?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Why is Yoshi so low?

And I'm being serious here. I want somebody to honestly tell me why Yoshi is so low.

Not enough good tournament placings?

Sonic went out and did amazingly well in tournaments, so I'm guessing that had something to do with him rising 2 places.

*shrugs*

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Things would go much better for you if you didn't care.

Where Yoshi is on the tier list is completely irrelevant. You have your reasons for playing him, and you still do. Does it matter where he is? No, not really.

If you want to move him up, win major tournaments and beat really good players with him. Otherwise he probably won't move much. *shrug*

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi is so low because the most in the SBR are sick of Yoshis Playstyle because he is different as any other character. :D
Yoshi deserves so be in the mid area, definitly.

I'm happy when Yoshi is so underrated and still place low because in Germany we are playing low tier tournaments a lot xD I would be sad if Yoshi went to mid.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Yoshi is so low because the most in the SBR are sick of Yoshis Playstyle because he is different as any other character. :D
Yoshi deserves so be in the mid area, definitly.

I'm happy when Yoshi is so underrated and still place low because in Germany we are playing low tier tournaments a lot xD I would be sad if Yoshi went to mid.
This is definitely not true

This is very true. Yoshi is extremely underrated.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Azen plays him, and wins. Lil'b played Azen's Yoshi, and if I remember right got beat by it.
he won the set correct I only took a match off of him

Doing... well with him? Against good people?
If you want to move him up beat really good players with him. Otherwise he probably won't move much. *shrug*
Some Yoshis beat good people like

Bwett beating dojo

and me beating Chu

and Sockz beating good people on the WC

Pride beating people in NJ and NE

etc.

so Yoshi mains do beat good people i don't think that is why at all

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Lol at Yoshi being below Mario, Ness AND Lucas.

I mean I don't main the guy but I KNOW that he's good. Blame the voting system not the SBR, some of the votes I saw were really odd. (Someone put Mario in high tier, most put Yoshi in Bottom, some of them put Lucas ABOVE Ness, and most of them stuck them together in low tier for the hell of it.)

Yoshi has all the tools to be mid tier, he's just lacking in tourney results, but so are everyone who's above him.

S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, King Dedede
B: (Falco, Marth), (Mr. Game & Watch, Wario), Lucario, (Diddy Kong, Olimar), ROB
C: Kirby, (Wolf, Peach), Pikachu, (Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong), Sonic, Zero Suit Samus
D: (Bowser, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, Ike, Luigi, Pit), Fox
E: (Ness, Yoshi, Mario), Pokémon Trainer, (Link, Captain Falcon), (Lucas, Samus), Jigglypuff, Ganondorf
Yoshi's was right next to Ness in the fall 08 results but still got placed lower.

Frown

poekmon
Why is Yoshi so low?

Synopsis:

At first look he's awful, then he's great, and then he's just mediocre.

Yoshi has a few things in several matchups that make him not worthless. He has a few strengths that can REALLY surprise you. How many people have played against a Yoshi only to find themselves take an easy 40% from them spamming eggs? How many have been pivot grabbed by a Yoshi when they dashed to prevent them from throwing eggs? How many have been killed by a uair at surprisingly low %?

Unfortunately for Yoshi, these strengths don't make up for his weaknesses. His shield is ridiculously bad; while it can't be shield poked... you can just wait the moment Yoshi shields and then capitalize. Yoshi's recovery, while good as far as distance is concerned, can be less than adequate; turning off tap jump and using eggs first slightly alleviates this problem, but Yoshi is one of those characters that ends up getting tossed off the side of the stage a lot.

One of Yoshi's biggest issues is that there is rarely a time where he is at an advantage. On the ground? In the air? Recovering? Edgeguarding? He is just sub-par in all these areas when the opponent is on equal footing.

Yoshi will be a great surprise character and a smart player can get some early KOs with him to make him viable... but on the whole, he won't be too amazing.
That's why, apparently.

Shiri

Smash Chump
so Yoshi mains do beat good people i don't think that is why at all
:yoshi: Word up, dude. I like, om nom nom'd on most of Canada when they came to Buffalo, too.

I think the back room just doesn't like tasty sandwiches. That's the problem right now.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Bowser and Jigglypuff are also viable candidates.
Bowser...no, jigglypuff...yes

:yoshi: Word up, dude. I like, om nom nom'd on most of Canada when they came to Buffalo, too.

I think the back room just doesn't like tasty sandwiches. That's the problem right now.
that MUST be the problem...

I still don't know why he is so low, I will admit I have progressively gotten worse with him for some reason, but he isn't THAT bad. even mario got higher.....

Sharky

Smash Master
:yoshi: Well Matt, Yoshi's horizontal air speed as you're referring to it is player-induced.

The air speed that blue-named dude is referring to is what Melee referred to as "weight" or horizontal knockback. They're in two different realms of motion, I think. I know that player-induced aerial speed is not momentum-driven like it was in Melee, but I hope for the sake of physicists and mathematicians everywhere that this engine's interpretation of knockback doesn't run on player-induced speed. That would suck pretty bad.
That'd probably go into acceleration, I'd think. I know you can start fast-falling to slow yourself down from vertical knockback, so the horizontal acceleration is probably something along those lines, as well, you think?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, that's the thing.

You can only actually start fast falling while you're falling. You can't induce fast falling while you're rising; the rate at which you rise is slightly dependent on character weight, but mostly on your actual fall speed. I dunno, there are still lots of things I'm testing right now because this one is so similar to yet so different from Melee.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
You can start fast falling while rising from knockback; doing so decreases the peak height you reach.

As far as knockback is concerned, what "weight" (launch resistance) affects is the initial force applied to the character due to being hit.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL likely story! ROFLLLLLL!

Oh man, that was funny.

Yoshi beating other characters in tournament.

Haha...

Dude, Yoshi couldn't even beat HIMSELF in a tournament, LOL!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Snakeee is to good, and NL got beat by Azen in a diddy ditto.

digs

Smash Rookie

I just would like to point out how this is the absolute best description of the way anyone has played extremely well, ever.

Almost as good as describing a guitar riff as "tasty".

.Marik

is a social misfit
I don't understand it.

Yoshi has been doing better, people have been proving Yoshi's worth, and he goes down? =\

What the hell.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It'll be a while before Yoshi is recognized

Remember, other characters have done better at tourneys too since the last tier list was made(Kirby, Diddy, etc.).

That's probably why he went down

SuperBraxton713

Smash Rookie
Whelp, I see it as this.
Kick *** at Tournaments...
Or just let them think Yoshi is bad at Tournaments...

You choose!

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
well i dont want him to become overly popular or anything, like that will happen. but i would like to see him get some rep and actually move up when the next tier list comes out. and apparently the most influential way of doing that is to place in tournaments.

bigman40

Smash Master
well i dont want him to become overly popular or anything, like that will happen. but i would like to see him get some rep and actually move up when the next tier list comes out. and apparently the most influential way of doing that is to place in tournaments.
I bet he still wouldn't get much more rep if he made it to mid tier. Lots of people are lazy, so they won't spend the time to get good with yoshi like other characters.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
I bet he still wouldn't get much more rep if he made it to mid tier. Lots of people are lazy, so they won't spend the time to get good with yoshi like other characters.
Yoshi just doesnt appeal to people, i have a freind who wont even fight my Yoshi b/c he thinks yoshi looks like a pansy, forces me to use Fox. ive recently found more and more people around where i live have the same mindset, Yoshi doesnt look like a fighter, and for some reason its only Yoshi, everyone else is fine. this makes them steer clear of him because its demoting to use him.

idk, this is what i blame the lack of Yoshi mains down here for.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yoshi just doesnt appeal to people, i have a freind who wont even fight my Yoshi b/c he thinks yoshi looks like a pansy, forces me to use Fox. ive recently found more and more people around where i live have the same mindset, Yoshi doesnt look like a fighter, and for some reason its only Yoshi, everyone else is fine. this makes them steer clear of him because its demoting to use him.

idk, this is what i blame the lack of Yoshi mains down here for.
its the fact that yoshi has been low tier in every smash game.

and hey I joined as a yoshi main

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The only thing putting Yoshi in low tier in any game is somebody who makes a list.

Yoshi was good in 64. Everyone was good in 64. There were two tiers: KirbzPikaNess tier and notKirbzPikaNess tier. Yoshi was good.

Yoshi was decent in Melee. He was his own kind of good and this sounds incredibly biased, but he was just good in his own way. Out of all the other "low tier" characters, he easily had some of the best top and high tier matchups--all of his worst matchups, save Peach and Samus, were in low and bottom tier. He had so many technical tricks, I still haven't mastered them all and I'm still studying even one that is taking years to decipher.

Yoshi is good in Brawl. He has playable top tier matchups; someone as "bad" as him doing so well against both Meta Knight AND Snake is a testament to itself, honestly. He completely demolishes low and bottom tier effortlessly (save Mario, who I think is mid anyway) and only really has trouble with characters that nobody plays anymore.

It's been a devastating cycle that will never change. They don't like him. They won't like him. It doesn't matter how much work we do, and it doesn't matter how many results we get. It's just the truth. I've moved on a few years ago when I realized having something to prove was futile; I go to tournaments and have good matches with great players and anyone I've played can attest to the character; my skill is almost moot since I'm ridiculously bad at both Melee and Brawl, but yet have managed to beat people that are good because when I play well, Yoshi is a superstar and I don't even want to THINK about what I would be doing with Yoshi if I were actually good at either game.

So yeah, that's all I had to say. I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while.

bigman40

Smash Master
:yoshi: The only thing putting Yoshi in low tier in any game is somebody who makes a list.

Yoshi was good in 64. Everyone was good in 64. There were two tiers: KirbzPikaNess tier and notKirbzPikaNess tier. Yoshi was good.

Yoshi was decent in Melee. He was his own kind of good and this sounds incredibly biased, but he was just good in his own way. Out of all the other "low tier" characters, he easily had some of the best top and high tier matchups--all of his worst matchups, save Peach and Samus, were in low and bottom tier. He had so many technical tricks, I still haven't mastered them all and I'm still studying even one that is taking years to decipher.

Yoshi is good in Brawl. He has playable top tier matchups; someone as "bad" as him doing so well against both Meta Knight AND Snake is a testament to itself, honestly. He completely demolishes low and bottom tier effortlessly (save Mario, who I think is mid anyway) and only really has trouble with characters that nobody plays anymore.

It's been a devastating cycle that will never change. They don't like him. They won't like him. It doesn't matter how much work we do, and it doesn't matter how many results we get. It's just the truth. I've moved on a few years ago when I realized having something to prove was futile; I go to tournaments and have good matches with great players and anyone I've played can attest to the character; my skill is almost moot since I'm ridiculously bad at both Melee and Brawl, but yet have managed to beat people that are good because when I play well, Yoshi is a superstar and I don't even want to THINK about what I would be doing with Yoshi if I were actually good at either game.

So yeah, that's all I had to say. I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while.
but I'm not done with you! Get your *** back in GA so we can play IRL! I'ma pound you into the ground when you get here :chuckle:

Top Bottom