• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's placement in the tier list

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Well it doesnt matter where Yoshi is, i will Proudly Main him forever nothing will ever replace him
and if they wont accept he has more potential then fine, their ignorance shall be their Defeat!
i wont let the dino down no matter where i fight, in time they will accept us one day....for now
let us just keep fighting with the one we feel best with

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
:yoshi: The only thing putting Yoshi in low tier in any game is somebody who makes a list.

Yoshi was good in 64. Everyone was good in 64. There were two tiers: KirbzPikaNess tier and notKirbzPikaNess tier. Yoshi was good.

Yoshi was decent in Melee. He was his own kind of good and this sounds incredibly biased, but he was just good in his own way. Out of all the other "low tier" characters, he easily had some of the best top and high tier matchups--all of his worst matchups, save Peach and Samus, were in low and bottom tier. He had so many technical tricks, I still haven't mastered them all and I'm still studying even one that is taking years to decipher.

Yoshi is good in Brawl. He has playable top tier matchups; someone as "bad" as him doing so well against both Meta Knight AND Snake is a testament to itself, honestly. He completely demolishes low and bottom tier effortlessly (save Mario, who I think is mid anyway) and only really has trouble with characters that nobody plays anymore.

It's been a devastating cycle that will never change. They don't like him. They won't like him. It doesn't matter how much work we do, and it doesn't matter how many results we get. It's just the truth. I've moved on a few years ago when I realized having something to prove was futile; I go to tournaments and have good matches with great players and anyone I've played can attest to the character; my skill is almost moot since I'm ridiculously bad at both Melee and Brawl, but yet have managed to beat people that are good because when I play well, Yoshi is a superstar and I don't even want to THINK about what I would be doing with Yoshi if I were actually good at either game.

So yeah, that's all I had to say. I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while.
so much win in 1 post

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
:yoshi: The only thing putting Yoshi in low tier in any game is somebody who makes a list.

Yoshi was good in 64. Everyone was good in 64. There were two tiers: KirbzPikaNess tier and notKirbzPikaNess tier. Yoshi was good.

Yoshi was decent in Melee. He was his own kind of good and this sounds incredibly biased, but he was just good in his own way. Out of all the other "low tier" characters, he easily had some of the best top and high tier matchups--all of his worst matchups, save Peach and Samus, were in low and bottom tier. He had so many technical tricks, I still haven't mastered them all and I'm still studying even one that is taking years to decipher.

Yoshi is good in Brawl. He has playable top tier matchups; someone as "bad" as him doing so well against both Meta Knight AND Snake is a testament to itself, honestly. He completely demolishes low and bottom tier effortlessly (save Mario, who I think is mid anyway) and only really has trouble with characters that nobody plays anymore.

It's been a devastating cycle that will never change. They don't like him. They won't like him. It doesn't matter how much work we do, and it doesn't matter how many results we get. It's just the truth. I've moved on a few years ago when I realized having something to prove was futile; I go to tournaments and have good matches with great players and anyone I've played can attest to the character; my skill is almost moot since I'm ridiculously bad at both Melee and Brawl, but yet have managed to beat people that are good because when I play well, Yoshi is a superstar and I don't even want to THINK about what I would be doing with Yoshi if I were actually good at either game.

So yeah, that's all I had to say. I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while.
This reminds me of Sonic. He gets good tourny placings but he's so low on the list. ;_;

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
so yeah I guess they put Yoshi down the tier list even more I see? -_-

Well whatever reason they have, we wouldnt know cuz we are biased and wrong :p

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wow... he moved down? That's a surprise... an unpleasant one, that is. -_-

You guys are right. I'm through trying to convince people that Yoshi is better than where he is now. I'm just going to go and own in tournaments. =P

.Marik

is a social misfit
Wow... he moved down? That's a surprise... an unpleasant one, that is. -_-

You guys are right. I'm through trying to convince people that Yoshi is better than where he is now. I'm just going to go and own in tournaments. =P
True that.

That's exactly what I said in the Tier List V.2 thread.

We just got to show them, is all.

And if they refuse to acknowledge that us Yoshi mains have tactics and tricks up our sleeves, then well, that's their own problem when we keep on beating them. :yoshi:

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Seems about right to me. Then again I never cared much about tier placement to begin with.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Thw newer tier list seems much more accurate than the last...

'CEPT YOSHI!!! How the hell did the Y-man manage to go DOWN!?

I feel partially responcible for living in the UK and therefore being unable to attend tourneys... I think we all need to do our part in putting Yoshi where he rightfully belongs... slightly higher!!!
I think if you main Yoshi though... you really aren't one to take any notice of tier lists and character placement. Especially if you main him exclusively =D

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6356892&postcount=1709

The SBR: "Yoshi is equally as bad as Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Link and Jigglypuff."
That's just one guy from the SBR... if the whole SBR thought the bottom five were tied, Yoshi would be in G tier.

I think Yoshi should be 3-4 spots up, but that's it. I don't think anybody here would claim that Yoshi is top tier.

(Although he is pretty amazing vs. MK. Just got through playing a good one and I felt like I had the character advantage.)

PKNintendo

Smash Master

I agree with everything except...
1. Yoshi doesn't demolish Ness.
2. Why does everyone assume Mario's mid tier?

Airborne

Smash Lord
That's just one guy from the SBR... if the whole SBR thought the bottom five were tied, Yoshi would be in G tier.

I think Yoshi should be 3-4 spots up, but that's it. I don't think anybody here would claim that Yoshi is top tier.

(Although he is pretty amazing vs. MK. Just got through playing a good one and I felt like I had the character advantage.)
no one has said he's top tier....imma castrate the next one that says that yoshis assume that he should be top tier.... or high tier.... mid tier, maybe low, but that's as far as it gets.... D is fine for me.... >.<
y'know what? screw it; i'd rather have a whole bunch of metadike mainers underestimate me so i can make them look even more despicable when i beat them...

edit: lolz, post #200 XD

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Where Yoshi is now:

-Low Tier, practically bottom.

Where Yoshi should be:

-Mid tier, possibly on the higher part, but that's a bit down the road.

Where I want Yoshi to be:

-Low tier, mid or high low tier.

No matter what happens, Yoshi will always be underrated and, in the opinion of those who haven't played as him, he'll always be terrible. Think of it more as one of those psuedo-advantages: people have less experience with the matchup and expect a much easier fight than is given.

But still, a stand alone character in the low tiers... there's no reason to be ashamed of playing Yoshi.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I agree with everything except...
1. Yoshi doesn't demolish Ness.
2. Why does everyone assume Mario's mid tier?
You're right, Yoshi has a small disadvantage against Ness.

I think everyone assumes Mario is mid is because he has so many unique weapons the cape.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok yoshi is now 30th apparently, but one thing.... Green Ace is starting tournaments...
his first tourny: 2nd out of 20-30 something
last tourny: 5 out of 45 and he beat OBM in a winner's bracket match, who is "one of the nation's best GnW, Currently considered New England's best player, is considered an actual pro and has come close to beating M2K before."
we might get top of E soon?

EDIT: i'll ask him to post the stuff to put it in the results thread soon...

Frown

poekmon
ok yoshi is now 30th apparently, but one thing.... Green Ace is starting tournaments...
his first tourny: 2nd out of 20-30 something
last tourny: 5 out of 45 and he beat OBM in a winner's bracket match, who is "one of the nation's best GnW, Currently considered New England's best player, is considered an actual pro and has come close to beating M2K before."
we might get top of E soon?

EDIT: i'll ask him to post the stuff to put it in the results thread soon...
Ankoku makes sure that the D/E border is above Yoshi.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Ankoku makes sure that the D/E border is above Yoshi.
Does really it matter where the border is? His placing number won't change whether he's technically in D or E, and I doubt any of the non Yoshi players would actually notice regardless.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Give it time. The list will change to adapt. I remember when the first few Melee tier lists had Ness as mid tier.

LOL.

+ for Yoshi not bottom tier.

-PM-

Smash Ace
Yoshi moved up a few spots. Duh. He still blow's and the only reason most people play him is fan based. If you cared about the game in a competetive sense you would play a high teir character.

Not calling my self a hyparcrit or anything. Just sayin'

Furthermore until high teir characters besides wario go "OMG that yoshi player wrecked my **** in" no one will care about the dynosaur. Of course you'll get the occasional "That yoshi player sitting over there is so good you should play him" but those are probably bad kids. I get those every tournament. When you place top 10 but it doesn't matter because you didn't beat the top people. The only person to deffinitly change people's minds is green ace because he actually beat a pro level player. Until more Yoshi's do that yoshi doesn't matter to anyone but us.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Yoshi moved up a few spots. Duh. He still blow's and the only reason most people play him is fan based. If you cared about the game in a competetive sense you would play a high teir character.

Not calling my self a hyparcrit or anything. Just sayin'

Furthermore until high teir characters besides wario go "OMG that yoshi player wrecked my **** in" no one will care about the dynosaur. Of course you'll get the occasional "That yoshi player sitting over there is so good you should play him" but those are probably bad kids. I get those every tournament. When you place top 10 but it doesn't matter because you didn't beat the top people. The only person to deffinitly change people's minds is green ace because he actually beat a pro level player. Until more Yoshi's do that yoshi doesn't matter to anyone but us.
Uhh, I have beaten MANY pro players in tourn sir and Yoshi still doesn't get rep. Snakeee (I am 2 and 0 with him,) Ninjalink, d1, blackwaltz. I just recently took atomsk to last game, last hit at a tourn, and people gave me props but told me right after that I would be awesome if I used another character LOLOL >_< god dammit. Bwett also has several pro wins. No matter how many pros you beat, they will blame the loss on a fluke. It is not until we start winning consistently will they change their minds about Yoshi, even then, he is STILL low tier in comparison to other characters.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I feel you pride people say the same things to me like "god **** lil b your yoshi is sooo good if you put that skill in to another better character you would place every tourney" but I do not want to switch

D

Deleted member

I have also beaten my share of good players, but people are dumb =P

We got this ****!

SOVAman

Smash Hero
When ever I beat someone good they say oooooooooo he was sandbagging if he wasn't you would of lost

and...

I think to my self who sandbags in tourney?

Top Bottom