• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I hope Yoshi gets buffed and, more importantly, I think that when on the ground his up-B should be more similar to the actual move it's based on from his games. There should be like a line and you should be able to launch the egg in a straight line to any direction. It should work as it works in Melee/Brawl while in the air though.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I think Sakurai has left us in the dark for far too long, and Yoshi will be next. Everybody loves Yoshi, and everybody's favorite dinosaur's ship has already sailed from his island, and he will arrive at March 14th.

Scatz

Smash Champion
How so? He's left quite a few other veterans in the dark, and he's consistently don't this to us in previous games. I assume Yoshi typically comes in the later half of the roster because his natural playstyle is much more delicate to tweak than most other characters (new characters are an exception). I'm willing to wait for as long as possible to let them get him right.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
How so? He's left quite a few other veterans in the dark, and he's consistently don't this to us in previous games. I assume Yoshi typically comes in the later half of the roster because his natural playstyle is much more delicate to tweak than most other characters (new characters are an exception). I'm willing to wait for as long as possible to let them get him right.
Is it not clear to you? Yoshi is the only starting character from the original smash who has yet to be announced. I said March 14th because that's when a new Yoshi game comes out.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Clear or not, when he gets released isn't a concern of mine. I'm just wondering why you were so antsy about seeing him released.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Clear or not, when he gets released isn't a concern of mine. I'm just wondering why you were so antsy about seeing him released.
HAW! There's a difference between being antsy and being predictive, I will admit I am both. Look at it this way: Sonic was announced during a Nintendo Direct that was talking about Sonic Lost World, King DeDeDe was announced on the day that a Kirby game was released, Diddy Kong was announced on the day of the American release of Tropical Freeze, and Toon Link was announced shortly before the Wii U remake of Zelda Wind Waker came out.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I hope you're right on that notion.

Yet, there's a part that doesn't sit with me. You said all the starting veterans have already been announced except Yoshi. While that's true, It's not as major as saying that Ness, Falcon, Jiggs, Luigi, and Yoshi are the last ones to be announced from the original smash. I don't think he's placing a big emphasis on the starting line up alone. More like an emphasis on the character line-up as a whole (secret of not) with Brawl's secret characters to be revealed.

Then you get into Melee's line-up that carried over, and there's Sheik, Ganon, G&W, and ICs.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Just a reminder to my fellow Yoshi's, only 2 weeks left until Yoshi's New Island is released and we no doubt finally get his character reveal!:bee:

And speaking of which, we have lots more gameplay vids of said game: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/36720/enjoy-19-eggciting-minutes-of-yoshis-new-island (so hard to fight spoilers ;_; )
I'm personally more excited about Yoshi's Smash reveal than I am about Yoshi's New Island, I have to admit, but that's because New Island has always looked like a souped-up tech-demo graphic/animation wise to me. Making it easier for me to avoid spoilers. And hopefully that will help me enjoy the game more when it releases, because I'm certainly getting it on release day! In fact it's already paid for. Come ooon Yoshi!

Still wondering if Yarn Yoshi is still in development too. Can it really take THAT long to make that game? Or are they just cramming it full of content? Or are they just not showing it anymore so they can suddenly show it off a few weeks before it releases? Aaargh, I wanna know! (And before you comment on it still being in development back at last year's E3, yes I'm aware of that, but that was a good while ago now.)

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we can only hope that they haven't decided to scrap the project. I wasn't a huge fan of Epic Yarn, but the fact that it looked like you could actually take damage meant the game had at least some degree of challenge. Plus, it looked freakin' cute.

Also, Yoshi 3DS XL confirmed for United States! The good news is that it means more Yoshi. The bad news is that it means I am going to be broke :c

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I wonder why he's taken so long?

This is peculiar because he wasn't even included in the Rosalina trailer CGI - where all the Mario Kart roster was there. Even an unlockable, Luigi, was there, which is odd to me.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but it's possible he got an overhaul, and a well-needed one :]

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wonder why he's taken so long?

This is peculiar because he wasn't even included in the Rosalina trailer CGI - where all the Mario Kart roster was there. Even an unlockable, Luigi, was there, which is odd to me.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but it's possible he got an overhaul, and a well-needed one :]
He is arriving sooner than you might think considering that Yoshi's New Island is coming out on the 14th.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
He is arriving sooner than you might think considering that Yoshi's New Island is coming out on the 14th.
Considering he took so long is a bit weird. Then again, DK took awhile to be confirmed for Brawl so I guess there's that. I hope you're right, Yoshis always a good time.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yoshi's New Island site is up for those interested: http://yoshisnewisland.nintendo.com/#/home/ :bee: This could, possibly mean we get a Yoshi reveal anytime between now and the 14th! Sakurai always tries to provide a link on a characters page to a gamesite relevant to that character, and now that YNI's site is up...*hype*

SuperSmashBrother

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3523-2286-3241
March, April, and May. Those are the three months I see Yoshi been revealed. March cause of Yoshi's new island, April because it is Easter, and May I don't know but if he is not confirmed on March or April, I'm pretty sure it will be May then.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
March, April, and May. Those are the three months I see Yoshi been revealed. March cause of Yoshi's new island, April because it is Easter, and May I don't know but if he is not confirmed on March or April, I'm pretty sure it will be May then.
The new yoshi island is the best option so far it's still only coming out in usa so far and diddy kong just confirmed characters getting confirmed for usa release dates

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Fun Fact: Frank Welker did the voice of Yoshi once. Sadly, I don't think that Frank Welker will be able to voice Yoshi in Super Smash Bros though, we'd have to leave it to the guy who does it right now.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
That would be Kazumi Totaka. Who, in my opinion, does a great job in portraying Yoshi! I love Yoshi's voice and hope they don't ever change it. Unless it's absolutely necessary, of course.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That would be Kazumi Totaka. Who, in my opinion, does a great job in portraying Yoshi! I love Yoshi's voice and hope they don't ever change it. Unless it's absolutely necessary, of course.
I don't really have a problem with Kazumi Totaka, I'm just saying that Frank Welker as a past voice of Yoshi is pretty interesting. Frank Welker is very famous for doing the voices of Megatron and Santa's Little Helper.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I can't say I've ever really heard of the guy to be honest. But that said, it's hard to say which is (or would have been) better if he did end up being Yoshi's voice. Either way I'm glad with what we have now.

Yoshi's Story was the first game to feature voiced Yoshis though, right? Then maybe Frank's version of Yoshis voice can actually be heard in this Japanese commercial for it (around 0:15).
Whoever's voice that is though it's surely not as good as what his voice eventually turned out to be in the final product (imo).

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I can't say I've ever really heard of the guy to be honest. But that said, it's hard to say which is (or would have been) better if he did end up being Yoshi's voice. Either way I'm glad with what we have now.

Yoshi's Story was the first game to feature voiced Yoshis though, right? Then maybe Frank's version of Yoshis voice can actually be heard in this Japanese commercial for it (around 0:15).
Whoever's voice that is though it's surely not as good as what his voice eventually turned out to be in the final product (imo).
Could be very well alone in saying this, but I actually adore his voice in this commercial. (Nothing wrong with his adorable voice now too, mind you ^^)

4 days left guys...get hype!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Could be very well alone in saying this, but I actually adore his voice in this commercial. (Nothing wrong with his adorable voice now too, mind you ^^)

4 days left guys...get hype!
LOL, Somebody insert Benny Hill music for this.
But that's not Frank Welker

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Warning Received
I will not be looking at the daily pic on the 12th or the 14th, I do not care to see the reveal of this loser, Yoshi.

He shall be put in to do what he does best, lose, not be played as, being weak and pathetic, and of course job to me, says me #TheYoshiKiller.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I will not be looking at the daily pic on the 12th or the 14th, I do not care to see the reveal of this loser, Yoshi.

He shall be put in to do what he does best, lose, not be played as, being weak and pathetic, and of course job to me, says me #TheYoshiKiller.
>Calls Yoshi pathetic and says no one uses him in a Yoshi board
>Mains Ganon

Have to wonder why you even ventured into this thread in the first place other than to troll?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He joined in mid 2013, likes Rosalina, and mains some of the worst characters in Smash.
Only redeeming factor about him is he likes one of the most based villains, Ganon, but even that can't save him.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So I have this huge "what if" scenario I thought I'd share on here.

What if, the reason Yoshi is being held from being announced so long is because he is not just "Yoshi" anymore, but is "Yoshi & Baby Mario"? This change would be made to better represent the Yoshi's Island series, where Yoshi is never by himself (except in Yoshi Story), and always has Baby Mario on his back. One of his Specials would be changed to incorporate Baby Mario (preferably Up-B, and make Egg Throwing implemented another way).
He Final Smash would obviously change, to make more sense, and because you can have a Baby riding on a Dragon and awesome as that seems.

Thoughts?

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord

What if, the reason Yoshi is being held from being announced so long is because he is not just "Yoshi" anymore, but is "Yoshi & Baby Mario"? This change would be made to better represent the Yoshi's Island series, where Yoshi is never by himself (except in Yoshi Story), and always has Baby Mario on his back. One of his Specials would be changed to incorporate Baby Mario (preferably Up-B, and make Egg Throwing implemented another way).
He Final Smash would obviously change, to make more sense, and because you can have a Baby riding on a Dragon and awesome as that seems.

Thoughts?
its an okay idea.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Thoughts?
Mmm, nah.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we've had this discussion before...

In any case, though I would prefer that Yoshi stay solo, I guess I wouldn't mind Baby Mario as long as he doesn't go flying off in a bubble every time Yoshi gets hit. All of the changes that Sakurai has made to the game so far have been good in my books, so I trust that if he were to make such a drastic change, it would be for the better. Hopefully.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
This idea again huh?
Nope. Keep Yoshi solo, please. If anything, just make Baby Mario a cosmetic costume swap with no changes to Yoshi's moveset whatsoever, except for maybe a taunt or two. Yoshi is perfectly fine on his own.

Also lol at failed troll attempt

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
We've had this idea come up more times than I can count, seriously @__@;
Why do people think Yoshi's final smash doesn't make sense? It's a reference to SMW as if he got a flashing shell, only he can't create mini quakes in this-but the rest stays the same.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
On a somewhat unrelated note: new final smash? Or buff to egg roll?
I was gonna make that gif this morning for my sig but it didn't wanna work with me >:o Also it's not really unrelated, this is the Yoshi thread :3

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This idea again huh?
Nope. Keep Yoshi solo, please. If anything, just make Baby Mario a cosmetic costume swap with no changes to Yoshi's moveset whatsoever, except for maybe a taunt or two. Yoshi is perfectly fine on his own.

Also lol at failed troll attempt
I think that was fake dude. It was suppose to happen on the direct which little mac got announced

and my head is pondering if Yoshi will get a trailer (of coarse the only way of this having a chance to happen is he has new move set like bowser)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, (fellow) Yoshi fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. While Yoshi is a lock, I still need more people to vote, and more votes couldn't possibly hurt him, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom