• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No there isn't. I remember somebody saying Summer a bunch of times in this thread I think like it meant something important, but there's no set date.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That only applies to "new" characters though. Yoshi would just be announced casually on the site or miiverse or wherever just like all the veterans.
WRONG!!! Sonic and Luigi were announced during Nintendo Directs.
Getting reeeeeaaal sick of your baloney, Sakurai.
Dude, relax! I'm just as dissapointed as you are, but couldn't you people just hold it in?

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
There's always the Year of Yoshi to look forward to. If memory serves, It's supposed to happen on the 18th of this month.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Ugh.. it's probably my fault for getting overly excited, but I'm really REALLY disappointed in today's update. It'd be fine if it was an actual fun-looking picture but this is just awful. I'm going to boycot that stage now. I don't even like the looks of the game that stage seems to be based on.

WRONG!!! Sonic and Luigi were announced during Nintendo Directs.
Those are quite obvious exceptions. Sonic is third-party, and Luigi was announced because it was his year. The only other vet who has a chance to be revealed in a Direct now would be Snake if he returns, or whoever Nintendo decides to dedicate a year to next.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'm pretty sure this is the craziest thing I ever predict, but I'm thinking that Yoshi comes tomorrow to kick of St Patrick's Day
I'm thinking this could happen, he's green, so it makes sense they'd wait the weekend to reveal a green character on St Patricks Day, I'm wearing my custom green shirt with Agatio on it tomorrow, I don't have a green Yoshi shirt, but everybody who does have one, join the celebration and wear it proud tomorrow whether we see Yoshi or not.

I'm not a big fan of Yoshi, but I'm one to admit he deserves to be revealed sometime this month, and I agree he should of been revealed last week due to New Island, so therefore I think tomorrow sounds good because Yoshi is green and it's St Patricks Day, I'll be looking forward to it.

Btw, yes I'm a bit upset myself he's not revealed yet, what is taking so long for Yoshi, a character we all know will be in the game to be revealed?

I hope they replace his side B, that move is annoying whether your fighting him, or if you're playing as him, it's so hard to control usually resulting in a self destruction, and the cpu to dumb to use that move, I'd rather see something different, maybe spitting turtle shells or fire balls?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm thinking this could happen, he's green, so it makes sense they'd wait the weekend to reveal a green character on St Patricks Day, I'm wearing my custom green shirt with Agatio on it tomorrow, I don't have a green Yoshi shirt, but everybody who does have one, join the celebration and wear it proud tomorrow whether we see Yoshi or not.

I'm not a big fan of Yoshi, but I'm one to admit he deserves to be revealed sometime this month, and I agree he should of been revealed last week due to New Island, so therefore I think tomorrow sounds good because Yoshi is green and it's St Patricks Day, I'll be looking forward to it.

Btw, yes I'm a bit upset myself he's not revealed yet, what is taking so long for Yoshi, a character we all know will be in the game to be revealed?

I hope they replace his side B, that move is annoying whether your fighting him, or if you're playing as him, it's so hard to control usually resulting in a self destruction, and the cpu to dumb to use that move, I'd rather see something different, maybe spitting turtle shells or fire balls?
Just FYI, if he is revealed, i don't have anything green to wear, so you better hope my friend doesn't pinch me at work tomorrow. And I also don't have a loser challenge for this.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Can't say I'm surprised, St. Patrick's day is kinda a silly time to reveal a character. I mean, we didn't get Ice Climbers on Valentines Day, no King Dedede on Christmas, and Easter isn't gonna be Yoshi's day either. (cuz get it eggs)

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Are either Easter and St Patrick's day even celebrated in Japan? If so, I don't see why Sakurai would even care enough for it to show off a new veteran or newcomer just for that holiday.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Are either Easter and St Patrick's day even celebrated in Japan? If so, I don't see why Sakurai would even care enough for it to show off a new veteran or newcomer just for that holiday.
Yes and No! They do celebrate Saint Patricks day with a big parade, but no, Japan doesn't celebrate Easter.

But back on topic, Nintendo has hinted the possibility of the Year of Yoshi on their FaceBook page. I'm not too bent on it, but it could happen.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yes and No! They do celebrate Saint Patricks day with a big parade, but no, Japan doesn't celebrate Easter.

But back on topic, Nintendo has hinted the possibility of the Year of Yoshi on their FaceBook page. I'm not too bent on it, but it could happen.
Huh, hinted at the possibility? I don't have facebook, could you say what this hint is?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
They announced a Saint Patricks Day Sale on the EShop to kick of the End of the Year of Luigi, Yoshi was showcased as well
Huh, that IS a pretty big hint. And with this 'Year of Yoshi' going into 2015 next year would mean his 25th anniversary, which I'd say would be a perfect time for it. Come on Year of Yoshi! (Kind of surprised they haven't announced a Nintendo Direct for tomorrow though, at the end of Luigi's year.)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Still no hint of a Nintendo direct even though Luigi's year is over :ohwell: How high do you guys think the chances are now for a "Year of Yoshi"?
They announced a Saint Patricks Day Sale on the EShop to kick of the End of the Year of Luigi, Yoshi was showcased as well
I didn't see anything about this D: Did Yoshi have new artwork?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'd say Medium tbh.
Medium cause all the Yoshi content, especially in something as random as Sonic Lost World. n other reason being it's Nintendo and I feel like they don't care about Yoshi much until this year though, it kinda sorta feels like maybe an attempt to reach out to the other people that love Nintendo characters to get some more money.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
While I would accept a Year of Yoshi with open arms, I'm thinking that the Year of Luigi was unfortunately just a one time deal to celebrate the anniversary of Luigi's debut, not the start of a series of character-themed years. Yoshi came into being in 1990... maybe 2015 for the 25th anniversary?

On a side note, my Yoshi 3DS XL just arrived. IT'S SO GREEN :estatic:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I think the biggest hint towards a Year of Yoshi is this page: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/luigi/

Near the bottom, you'll see a Miiverse drawing mentioning 'Year of Luigi 2013' > 'Year of Yoshi 2014'. Why would they add that, you think? I'd say they wouldn't unless they actually do plan on giving Yoshi his own year. (Probably just wishful thinking, but hey~)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
They prolly added it just cause the creator of said drawing heard something about possibly year of yoshi now, so they just added that on impulse without thinking if it really is.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Dear God, people at GameFaqs actually believe that Yoshi is not coming back for this game, that is just stupid; it's like saying that Mario, Link or Pikachu are getting cut. It's astounding how a lot people fail to understand that he is part of the original 12.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Dear God, people at GameFaqs actually believe that Yoshi is not coming back for this game, that is just stupid; it's like saying that Mario, Link or Pikachu are getting cut. It's astounding how a lot people fail to understand that he is part of the original 12.
It's just as astounding that there are people on the Miiverse smash community who're saying "Pikachu better be in this game" 0_o

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Well, I may just be grasping at straws, but we may have another chance for a Yoshi reveal on April 24th, when Yoshi's Island comes out on the Wii U Virtual Console. Big maybe though, since I don't think Sakurai has ever done anything in the past to correspond with Virtual Console releases. Without any Yoshi games coming out in the foreseeable future though (besides the Japanese release of Yoshi's New Island) that's the best shot that we have at a reveal, unless Sakurai just decides to do a Marth and reveal him without relation to any event.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah don't get your hopes up, if anybody has a chance to be revealed for a VC release, it's somebody who doesn't have a NEW game on the horizon as well. Wario and Captain Falcon are the most obvious here. Yoshi still has his new game set to be released in Japan, as you mentioned, so they'll surely save Yoshi for that moment now. Unless of course it comes out after E3, and they reveal several veterans during the E3 direct.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
But we shouldn't be worried at all. Yoshi is an original 12 veteran since the first game so he is not going anywhere, that's out of question, it's only a matter of time.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
You think Yoshi is being reworked and will be demonstrated on Tuesday's direct?

I mean why else would we not get Yoshi on the release date of Yoshi's New Island?

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
You think Yoshi is being reworked and will be demonstrated on Tuesday's direct?

I mean why else would we not get Yoshi on the release date of Yoshi's New Island?
Because Yoshi's New Island hasn't been released yet in Japan. I hope Yoshi's moveset doesn't get revamp.I find it fine the way it is.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
His moveset's fine, but they need to let him jump out of shield or replace it with a standard one and not make egg roll bad and kill you at the very least.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Because Yoshi's New Island hasn't been released yet in Japan. I hope Yoshi's moveset doesn't get revamp.I find it fine the way it is.
:diddy:

(Technically it was because there was the direct with Little Mac and all) but it's still a possibility to get him on Tuesday.

I like his moveset too, it's just possible it could change. Maybe it's for the best?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
IF Yoshi gets revealed on Tuesday, they'll show off other veterans as well, because there's no way they'll dedicate one entire Direct on Yoshi. That'd be a bit absurd.
:diddy:

(Technically it was because there was the direct with Little Mac and all) but it's still a possibility to get him on Tuesday.

I like his moveset too, it's just possible it could change. Maybe it's for the best?
Exceptions don't make the rule. Most others have been revealed for the Japanese date of their respective games. You even said yourself, the reason Diddy wasn't was because they had that Little Mac reveal that day instead. So don't get your hopes up for Yoshi in the direct, unless there'll be more character reveals alongside him.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
IF Yoshi gets revealed on Tuesday, they'll show off other veterans as well, because there's no way they'll dedicate one entire Direct on Yoshi. That'd be a bit absurd.

Exceptions don't make the rule. Most others have been revealed for the Japanese date of their respective games. You even said yourself, the reason Diddy wasn't was because they had that Little Mac reveal that day instead. So don't get your hopes up for Yoshi in the direct, unless there'll be more character reveals alongside him.
I just said it was possible, not "it's happening."

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I always thought it would be a neat feature to give him the ability to 'charge' and change the direction of the egg throw while he's on the ground. Give him a bit of range without changing the fundamentals of his moveset too much

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Hmm...

Maybe Yoshi will get some sort of Up-B, Egg Throw will become Neutral-B and Egg Lay will become Back or Down Throw?

Just a thought. Not saying it's likely but it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom