• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
The new trailer for Yoshi's Island has gotten me pretty hyped for the game. I was planning on getting it anyway, but I'm happy that Yoshi's sprite is starting to look less... dead. He just seemed to lack pretty much any facial expressions in previous trailers.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I agree, his old model was really stiff, it'd be nice if he resumed his upright pose when he lost Baby Mario like in YIDS though, but it's still looking really good, this trailer was really juicy :)

Was disappointed to see a Little Mac reveal over Yoshi's or someone elses in todays direct :c

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as much as I'd like Yoshi revealed, I have to admit that the Little Mac trailer was pretty hype, and I haven't even played Punch-out before! One more month to wait, I guess.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The game still looks too childish slow bland and boring.
Also you guys are missing something here.

Metal Eggs. Big or not, it's a thing now.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Square eggs are a thing in SM64DS, it's Nintendo they do what they want :p
Also, we have this:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Oh Yoshi, we will never understand how the heck your body works.

Also, I'm really liking the DS design, it's a nice touch that the eggs also trail onto the back. Not sure if I can rationalize spending the $200 to get another 3DS though...

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Oh Yoshi, we will never understand how the heck your body works.

Also, I'm really liking the DS design, it's a nice touch that the eggs also trail onto the back. Not sure if I can rationalize spending the $200 to get another 3DS though...
Simple answer, he's made of rubber :p

I'm heading down to the shops and preording that 3DS today. It'll be worth the $200 to me, as I wanted to get an XL for drawing anyway.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
As with most 3DS games, until you see them on the console, you never know how amazing they actually look. I'm super excited for YNI, personally I thought YIDS was a bit of a let down. Like others have said, I hope Yoshi gets a bit of a design buff - in previous instalments he's felt too stiff. He looses his personality a bit when he's hunched over. Something about Brawl and Melee Yoshi feels... animalistic, lacking his charm.

What are people's thoughts on Yoshi having Baby Mario sit on his back?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
What are people's thoughts on Yoshi having Baby Mario sit on his back?
In Super Smash Bros. or Yoshi's own games? Because that's kind of a heavy factor, for me personally anyway.

In the Yoshi's Island games, I think it's a nice touch to tell the story of how Yoshi helped Mario even in his toddler years (even if Baby Mario ended up with Yoshi 3 times already, counting all three Island games; seriously, how incompetent are their parents for losing the brothers twice? Then again, still more competent than Peach's Toad guards probably).

In Super Smash Bros., I honestly don't like the idea at all. Having Baby Mario on his back would mean influencing Yoshi's playstyle, and I like my Yoshi just the way he is; just needing a few buffs (WITHOUT adding Baby Mario). If Baby Mario would be purely a cosmetic costume change to ride on Yoshi's back in one of his alternate 'costumes', then I'd be all for it. Otherwise, Baby Mario can stay the heck away from Yoshi in Smash.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Imagine having to chase after him everytime you got hit, and before your star power ran out x__X;

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Well I imagine IF they'd place Baby Mario on his back, they wouldn't cause Baby Mario to fall off Yoshi's back each time he'd get hit, or that would make Yoshi very annoying to play as since you'd constantly be on the defensive side in trying to get Baby Mario back AND keeping the opponent(s) at bay. A 1-on-1 match would be bad enough; just imagine what it'd be on a 4-player Free for All. Not to mention the Multi-Man modes or Classic Mode's stages against large teams.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
In Super Smash Bros., I honestly don't like the idea at all. Having Baby Mario on his back would mean influencing Yoshi's playstyle, and I like my Yoshi just the way he is; just needing a few buffs (WITHOUT adding Baby Mario). If Baby Mario would be purely a cosmetic costume change to ride on Yoshi's back in one of his alternate 'costumes', then I'd be all for it. Otherwise, Baby Mario can stay the heck away from Yoshi in Smash.
Interesting point. Personally I wouldn't mind it if it were like you said and simply a cosmetic change. In Yoshi's Island DS, Baby Mario doesn't do much anyway.

You seem to be a big fan - how would you go about buffing his moveset? I'm one of those guys who love Yoshi but can't stand playing as him in SSB.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
What is it about him you dislike? The way he feels/his floatiness, his moveset...? Only curious, no judging here :)

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Interesting point. Personally I wouldn't mind it if it were like you said and simply a cosmetic change. In Yoshi's Island DS, Baby Mario doesn't do much anyway.

You seem to be a big fan - how would you go about buffing his moveset? I'm one of those guys who love Yoshi but can't stand playing as him in SSB.
Just one thing that Yoshi really needs is simply that his moves need more 'oomph'. His smashes for one aren't as satisfying as those of others to connect with. Mostly because they simply lack knockback power; that always felt like one of Yoshi's major drawbacks for me, personally. What he also needs, is for his tongue grab(s) to actually be as long as they physically appear. I believe that in Brawl, his tongue didn't have the reach it should have had. Also, his tongue just needs to be a liiittle bit longer; like, make it at least as long as Samus' grapple move.

And then there's Yoshi's egg related problems. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Yoshi should NOT go helpless after using it; it's barely got ANY use in the air, and it's just way too easy to roll off stage if you have poor control or have too much lag in the match (when playing online). It doesn't need additional horizantal distance when used in the air, just so long as it does NOT put him in helpless state. And then of course there's his problem of being unable to jump from his shield, which is one of his biggest problems. He clearly JUMPS out of his egg in his stage entrance animation; why can't he jump from it by manual input? Also, I didn't like how his eggs from the Egg Toss/Throw move were less manouverable. And make his one Meteor Smash easier to hit with, too; it's too easy to fail in Brawl.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I'm certainly not as competitive as other people around here and mainly just play for fun, but those are what I feel should be the least of the changes on Yoshi's side.

Also, Baby Mario did make Yoshi run faster (somehow) in Yoshi's Island DS, and enabled Yoshi to hit certain blocks that wouldn't appear with any of the other babies. So he definitely WAS helpful there.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Adding on to that, I'd like to reiterate that I think egg lay should keep your opponent trapped for a second or two longer and/or give them less control of their movement. It would make Yoshi much more threatening offstage, both when trying to prevent recovery and when trying to safely recover yourself, and would just provide a better option for dealing damage in general.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yes, that too. Egg Lay is hardly a useful move the way it is now. Also adding one more thing is that Yoshi should have a tether recovery by using his tongue. Yoshi could practically do it in Yoshi's Story, why not here?

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
Any chance we get to see Yoshi in the american release of Yoshi's Island? Because then he can very well be the next in line

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Despite previous releases usually coinciding with the Japanese release, I think Yoshi will be among the exceptions to that rule. Diddy was revealed for the NA/EU release of Tropical Freeze because, obviously, the day of the Japanese release was dedicated to Little Mac instead. And now for Yoshi, I do think they'll show off Yoshi for the upcoming NA/EU release of Yoshi's New Island, simply because there will be a large period of having no real significant releases otherwise, and the game won't even be released in Japan until Summer (not even having a set release date there yet).

Scatz

Smash Champion
Posting because I'm bored.

I had a quick thought that it'd be cool to see Yoshi as a grapple character (with his tongue instead of hands like most people see). He seems like he'd fit that position quite nicely.

I just hope his changes are worthwhile for Smash 4. It's tiring having to deal with his same weakness every game in the series.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Posting because I'm bored.

I had a quick thought that it'd be cool to see Yoshi as a grapple character (with his tongue instead of hands like most people see). He seems like he'd fit that position quite nicely.

I just hope his changes are worthwhile for Smash 4. It's tiring having to deal with his same weakness every game in the series.
Grapple character? He doesn't use his hands in smash as it is?
Also, sorry for the 20 questions, but what weakness are you referring to?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He uses his hands to grab the ledge and throw eggs.
Grapple character being ZSS kinda, using tongue for more attacks and even grab people in air to toss em around like garbage.

Though it'd be hard to think of which moves would throw out Yoshi's tongue, grab the enemy then do whatever too them.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Well...it'd be interesting...but just the same with Yoshi having a tether grab, it'd be kinda weird to look at. I mean, there's only so much you can do with a tongue, even for a Yoshi. Plus, I don't wanna imagine the pain poor Yoshi would go through of getting spiked in the middle of a tongue tether ;_; (I know, he had one in Yoshi's Story.)

With all the people who want it for smash 4 though I'm amazed no one's created a Brawl mod for this, it's like the main theme of this thread. 0_o

Scatz

Smash Champion
Yoshi doesn't have to have a tether grab for the ledge while being a grapple character or at all for that matter. I'd rather leave him without one.

His weakness is not having a regular shield and having a big blindspot from the top of his eyes to the front of his nose. His killing potential was fine in melee and 64 (better in 64 because of B-air), but they took away two of his staple kill moves (D-smash & N-air).

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I feel like Yoshi could get a revamp, Bowser style. He would stand up straighter, instead of being hunched over like in Super Mario World. Yoshi would get some sort of new side special, and more powerful smashes. He could also have some new tilts. His recovery would be made more effective, and Egg Lay would trap opponents longer.

If this was the case, I would like Yoshi a lot more.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually like quadrupedal Yoshi more than bipedal Yoshi. Something about him walking with tiny forearms was always endearing to me.

And while I don't think a Tether is necessary, it would be at least cool if he could use his tongue grab on certain background elements, similar to Yoshi's Story (or heck, even on enemies mid-air) to zipline across. Would do wonders for his mobility.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I personally don't really care whether Yoshi is in his quadrupedal or bipedal form, I just wanna see what he looks like and what (new) moves he has in the game, and whether or not he's received some form of buffs! Yoshi's always been one of the underdogs in Smash and it's about time he'd get some time in the spotlights higher up in the ranks.

By the way, if Yoshi is revealed for the NA/EU release of Yoshi's New Island... that means it's only 18 days! Beware the dinosaur, everyone!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
If I was in control of smash 4 Yoshi, these would be the changes I'd make:

*'Modern'/Bipedal Yoshi (how he is in the Mario spinoffs, he's still really cute with his brawl walking animations though >w<)
*Melee Ftilt
*Melee Dsmash/Dsmash is actually useful
*64 Bair maybe, Brawl Bair's good for combos so either ought to be good
*Replace egg roll/Yoshi doesnt go into special fall when breaking out of it
*A normal shield
*Egg lay traps opponnents for longer/not given invincibility/falls faster

Would anyone agree/disagree with this list? I'd like to hear some opinions :)

Scatz

Smash Champion
If Egglay didn't half the damage output, I almost wouldn't care about the invincibility opponents get when they pop out. It'd make egg lay more useful in Yoshi's overall game that way.

Eggs should not explode until it hits something (melee version). That's much better for him in the long run.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'm aware of that. I played PM for a little when Yoshi was released. Still something that I want in SSB4 for him. If he's worth anything, setups and traps with eggs would definitely make him even more unique than before.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I think that most of what Nikes and Scatz suggested hold pretty consistent with what I feel, with the exceptions that I think Brawl's ftilt was nice fast option to throw in (though I'm not too familiar with the usage of Melee's ftilit) and that I would be fine with the egg shield as long he can jump out of it. That combined with a nair buff would improve his out-of-shield options enough, in my opinion.

Also, how about some new voice clips? I noticed that some of the sounds he made in Mario Kart 8 were not recycled from past games - I think that would be a nice way to freshen him up. I don't really have any problem with the old voice, but I'd like to see if they can make something even cuter than before. :3

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'll stand corrected then, but I still want that feature for Yoshi. It's the best way to give him a buff without making drastic changes.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just hope we get analog control over the eggs again like in Melee.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I just hope we get analog control over the eggs again like in Melee.
A change like this has less to do with Yoshi and more to do with the way the game is designed as whole. Brawl's "four ways to play!" design limited a lot of things, and Yoshi's eggs were just one of them. Personally, I really hope the devs don't try to force the game to work with the wiimote again.

You're probably already aware of this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom