• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I started a war...
Aniway... Is Sakurai holding Yoshi just for MARKETING? Trying to reveal him when Yoshi's New Island comes out?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
He should still have a tongue recovery with his B attack. That would be good buff for him. Also, can we get black and white Yoshi? That'd be nice too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I started a war...
Aniway... Is Sakurai holding Yoshi just for MARKETING? Trying to reveal him when Yoshi's New Island comes out?
That seems rather cruel, since we don't exactly have a clean guess on when the game will be out; we do know is that it'll be released some time during the summer season for the Japanese.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Neutral B needs more range. As well as his grabs.

OoS options would also be nice. Really nice. And Melee N-Air.
You forget N64 UTilit and DAir.
Seriously. N64 DAir's knockback is so freakin' messed up. I love it!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I started a war...
Pretty much, Smash 4 is one big glorified ad.

New Leaf
Villager

New Wii u fit or whatever
Wii fit trainer

Olimar
Pikmin 3

Wind Waker HD
Toon Link

Lost worlds
Sonic

Fire Emblem Awakening
Marth

etc. Expect characters to only be revealed when a game for them is near.

That seems rather cruel
wut
What's cruel here now?

If anything, the one thing that's cruel is somebody who actually uses different fonts instead of just using the normal font.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much, Smash 4 is one big glorified ad.

And now Zelda has followed that pattern, with Link Between Worlds being released in Japan...

That really makes me wonder about Ness and Captain Falcon though, who are also a part of the original 12 but don't have any games coming up in the near future. Maybe their lack of games and therefore ability to be revealed at any time gives us hope for a random Yoshi reveal before New Island?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
And now Zelda has followed that pattern, with Link Between Worlds being released in Japan...

That really makes me wonder about Ness and Captain Falcon though, who are also a part of the original 12 but don't have any games coming up in the near future. Maybe their lack of games and therefore ability to be revealed at any time gives us hope for a random Yoshi reveal before New Island?
It's very likely that Ness and Captain Falcon will be unlockable characters again, and as such they won't be revealed until after the game releases. Even so, Marth wasn't revealed during FE: Awakening's release, but rather after that, and his reveal is still tied with that game on the official page. Same could be done for Ness (or Lucas, to a lesser extent), who could promote EarthBound on Virtual Console. Falcon certainly won't be revealed until after SSB4 is in stores.

Now, Yoshi's reveal likely WILL be tied to the release of one of his games, should either one of them be released before SSB4 will (which, if you ask me, is very likely to happen). Should this not be the case, then Yoshi will likely be revealed the moment Iwata announces 2014 to be the rumoured Year of Yoshi (should those rumours be true).

Also, what's the big deal if Smash Bros is one big glorified ad? It helps promote Nintendo's products, which will help Nintendo make money, and in turn helps them make better games for us, the fans, AND it's just fun to see characters getting revealed at the time of their games' release

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Now, Yoshi's reveal likely WILL be tied to the release of one of his games, should either one of them be released before SSB4 will (which, if you ask me, is very likely to happen). Should this not be the case, then Yoshi will likely be revealed the moment Iwata announces 2014 to be the rumoured Year of Yoshi (should those rumours be true).
Yeah, I guess that was just wishful thinking. A Year of Yoshi would be awesome though, I could always use some new Yoshi games/merch.

And I personally don't really have a problem with the characters advertising games, I just thought it was an interesting pattern that was pointed out. It doesn't seem like Rosalina is really representing any recent game in particular though unless you count her appearance in 3D World.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, I guess that was just wishful thinking. A Year of Yoshi would be awesome though, I could always use some new Yoshi games/merch.

And I personally don't really have a problem with the characters advertising games, I just thought it was an interesting pattern that was pointed out. It doesn't seem like Rosalina is really representing any recent game in particular though unless you count her appearance in 3D World.
The Year of Yoshi is still only a rumour though, and I don't think it's really a rumour one can predict very easily. And it doesn't seem very likely either, with how Luigi's 'year' is being extended into 2014 some.

But oh well. I really hope they'll bring some good improvements to Yoshi this time. Most notably better out of shielf options (especially being able to jump out of it, of course) and overall getting more power and range behind his moves. Brawl's Foreward smash especially didn't reach as far as it seemed, and lacked the killing power it needed. Either way, even if Yoshi somehow ends up being the worst character in the game, I'll still main him!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yoshi could use some extra K.O power, no doubt.

Also, I'm down for a Year of Yoshi. And a Year of Samus.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Oh right, this thread is supposed to be about moveset!

Besides the obvious lack of good ranged and heavy knockback moves that everyone else has mentioned, I would love a buff to egg lay. Having the ability to aim the tongue upwards or giving the target less control/vertical momentum after coming out in the egg would be very helpful. It would be far more useful offstage if your victim didn't rocket upwards immediately after popping out :/. Another possibility is to make the egg throwable a short distance afterwards by using Up+B nearby. I'm not sure if that would really be helpful, but I guess it could be used to get the opponent into a bad position offstage.

Also tongue tether would make me happy. Not that he really needs more recovery as long as the Egg Toss jumps stay the same, but I think it would be hilarious to have the ability to dangle off the ledge like that.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that. In the Yoshi's Island games, Yoshi is able to aim his tongue up, as well as to the side, while in Yoshi's Story it can be aimed diagonally as well. It'd be nice if they implemented that for Yoshi this time around. The egg throwing thing sounds pretty cool too, but I doubt they'll do that. Who knows though!

Yoshi definetely needs to be able to tether with his tongue, though. He could latch it onto things and pull himself up in Yoshi's Story, so why leave him be the only one with an extended grab but make him unable to grab onto things and pull himself to safety? It'd make his recovery more viable too, and it's not hard to program if you've already got tethering programmed. Aside from tethering though, Yoshi should be able to eat items, like Kirby and Wario could. Why he couldn't do that in Brawl was beyond me really.

One more thing I'd really like for Yoshi to have this time around, too, is having his egg spots to match the color change. Peach's parasol changes with her color, so why not Yoshi's egg spots? It really doesn't seem like such a hard thing to implement, yet they've failed to put that into Smash up to this point. Also, give us a trophy with all Yoshi colors! That kind of bothered me a little in Brawl too, how there were only two baby trophies for the Yoshi series (aside from Yoshi's two fighter trophies), while they could've made one with Yoshi's multiple colors. And they could've made several other Yoshi related trophies too of course. Where was Poochie! ..Poochie would be a fun Assist Trophy actually. Kind of similar to Munchlax where he goes around hunting after items, but instead of eating them, he knocks/rolls them around.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
One way I think the Egg Throw could be more useful is if they automatically target the opponent. You hold the recovery butten for one second, then it will automatically hit the target at maximum damage. It also gives Yoshi an extra short boost of recovery.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Hit target meaning like Yoshi's island where the egg goes where you aim, or do you actually mean auto-aim to enemies? Cause the latter would be absolutely horrible.
Just make his eggs bounce off the floor walls etc.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
It's very likely that Ness and Captain Falcon will be unlockable characters again, and as such they won't be revealed until after the game releases.
I'd agree, but we already have a few characters that have always been unlockable. Luigi, Marth, Sonic, Toon Link, not to mention that if MegaMan follows suit with Snake and Sonic, he'll be unlockable, too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yoshi's new island confirmed for American release of March 14th. Two months I guess.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yes, I'll be looking forward to that day! I'm in Europe, so there's no release date known for us over here yet, but I'll still be looking around that date to see Yoshi's reveal.

I'd agree, but we already have a few characters that have always been unlockable. Luigi, Marth, Sonic, Toon Link, not to mention that if MegaMan follows suit with Snake and Sonic, he'll be unlockable, too.
Luigi was obviously revealed early because it was his year. Toon Link was shown to promote The Wind Waker's release. Sonic was revealed early because he's third party (and keep in mind, him and Snake were the only 'secret' characters revealed early too). I don't know why Marth was shown though, but probably because he's the face of Fire Emblem, though I don't think his reveal really marked any special occasion such as a game release. Ness may be shown off to promote the EarthBound VC game, but Falcon probably won't be shown off early.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Two months for Yoshi release den, if nothing then until Yoshi's Yarn.

Ugg
Or Mario Kart 8, but that could also result in Wario's comeback, or even Bowser Jr.'s entry into the battle.

Oh wait, Japan doesn't get Yoshi's New Island until Summer 2014. Yoshi being confirmed in March isn't exactly guaranteed then.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
He should still have a tongue recovery with his B attack. That would be good buff for him. Also, can we get black and white Yoshi? That'd be nice too.
At this point he needs it. That kind of thing flew with previous games, but he consistently can be edgeguarded with relative ease and many other characters have been given a tether.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'd probably still main Yoshi even if he does get Baby Mario on his back, but I'd still much rather he'd stay solo Yoshi. He can hold his own perfectly fine! I'd be okay with having Baby Mario on his back if it were just an alternate 'costume' or something though (in fact, having that as just a cosmetic change would be pretty cool, and could allow for the other Yoshi's Island DS babies too perhaps!), but nothing that would change his moveset otherwise when Baby Mario is on his back.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I could accept a trophy of this as that'd make sense, but I don't see them making a huge change like that anytime soon.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
but he goes by japanese release dates though and supposedly his game doesn't release till summer

Super Fox

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeldafanboy8
Make it so he's a resbectable character in ONE game he's featured in at least.
I love playing as him! But he needs to be buffed.

but he goes by japanese release dates though and supposedly his game doesn't release till summer
Actually it releases March 14, 2014 in America, March 14, 2014 in Europe, March 15, 2014 in Australia; however, it is coming out in summer in Japan. (please correct me if im wrong on any of these)

(sorry for double posting)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Actually it releases March 14, 2014 in America, March 14, 2014 in Europe, March 15, 2014 in Australia; however, it is coming out in summer in Japan. (please correct me if im wrong on any of these)
Hi there, watch out for double posting. Mods here will get ya. Just edit your post instead!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh please, doing it once isn't an offense or a danger to the board.
Doing it 4 or so times while in a serious thread might be an offense to our poor 12 year old minds. Thankfully this isn't really a serious thread, it's more of a general and talk about Yoshi while randomly something else maybe since no news on said character in months lol.

Otherwise, if the mod for the Smash 4 sub-forum is anal about the rules, then you should probably avoid talking to him since he's very likely an asshole.
Or hell, stay out of his sub-forum to avoid the ******.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman

(sorry for double posting)
I know it's release date believe me I'm getting the game but what I'm saying is that someone said he would be confirmed in March ibut Sakurai is going by the Japanese release dates and since Yoshi's new island isn't releasing till sometime this summer that means we won't see him till this summer

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I know it's release date believe me I'm getting the game but what I'm saying is that someone said he would be confirmed in March ibut Sakurai is going by the Japanese release dates and since Yoshi's new island isn't releasing till sometime this summer that means we won't see him till this summer
Who's to say Sakurai won't go by Japanese release dates? He might make a special case for some characters.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
To quote myself from another thread;

My personal guess is that Yoshi will be revealed in a Nintendo Direct prior to New Island's international release which would explain his early, non-Japan-release tied showing. In this Direct, they'll show various Yoshi things, such as some more New Island footage, the true revelation of the rumoured Yoshi Limited Edition 3DS XL system, perhaps finally some more footage of the Yarn Yoshi game, MAYBE they'll finally announce 2014 as the Year of Yoshi, and last but not least they'll show Yoshi for Super Smash Brothers 4! (At the very least, I'm expecting the New Island footage and LE 3DS XL alongside the SSB4 reveal for him.)

... damnit, I'm making myself want that next Nintendo Direct even more!
Posted this while keeping in mind that after DK Tropical Freeze, there won't be any real significant Nintendo games released in Japan, the only big next release being Yoshi's New Island, even if it's not in Japan. And it hasn't been proven yet that Sakurai cares about anniversaries, only showing Lucario for Brawl's anniversary so far and not keeping any other anniversary in mind with revelations.

jmani89

Smash Rookie
me and my friends call yoshi's downair "the omelette"
i think its better than the official name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom